Red Hoptober | New Belgium Brewing

Availability: Fall

Centennial, Cascade & Eldorado hops

Added by UCLABrewN84 on 07-20-2012

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

A - Fairly clear red ale, tan head, leaves fast. Tons of cling lace.

S - Malty. As I am enjoying the pure malt, the hops set in. Malty and hoppy. Good things.

T - Nice big fat caramel center that is surgically cut with astringent hops. Nicely done.

M - Medium body, good carb, great balance.

D - Very sessionable.

4.23/5  rDev +10.7%

A - Very enticing look. Solid lacing. Dark reddish, tawny hue.

S - Malty aroma. Toasted, nutty, bread notes

T - Very solid taste. Great balance to the hops, citrusy grapefruit. Just about the perfect amount of sweetness and caramel malt.

M - Smooth and drinkable. Medium body.

O - Nice hoppines to this amber. Well balanced and very enjoyable. For a late summer / fall summer seasonal, this absolutely stands out.

3.25/5  rDev -14.9%

4.75/5  rDev +24.3%

4.37/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I picked up a bottle of New Belgium's Red Hoptober a couple weeks ago for $2.69 at Meijers. It's a nice Fall night in Mid Michigan so a Fall seasonal sounds pretty fitting, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I'm sure it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- I really like the label on this beer, it's pretty nicely done and it has some nice information on it. It poured a nice dark copper color that took on a brighter ruby red hue when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of chunky off white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left some nice sheets of lacing. This was a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a good amount of malts that have a medium amount of sweetness and impart some nice toasted, nutty, grainy, caramel, biscuit, with some slight coffee and chocolate aromas. Up next come a slight amount of spice that is followed by some piney and citrus hops with the citrus hops sticking out the most with some nice citrus rind aromas. This beer has a very nice aroma, I really like how the bright hops balance out the toasted malts, it's really nice.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma, it starts off with some piney and earthy hops that impart a medium amount of bitterness followed by a nice amount of malts that have a lower amount of medium sweetness and impart some great toasted, nutty, caramel, biscuit, and some light chocolate like flavors. On the finish I get a good amount of citrus hops that impart some nice grapefruit and citrus rind flavors with a nice toasted malts and citrus hops aftertaste. I really like the taste of this beer, I like how nicely the toasted malts contrast the piney and citrus hops, it shouldn't work, but it does.

M- Pretty smooth, dry, slightly oily, medium bodied, with a higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, but the carbonation was just a little too high, still decent though.

Overall I thought this was a very good beer, it's not the best example of a Red Ale, it's got more Brown Ale aspects, but I would say that it's a very good example of a Fall seasonal beer. This beer had good drinkability, it went down pretty smooth and the flavors did a really great job at holding my attention, I think one bomber would be enough for me, but I wouldn't say two would be impossible. What I liked most about this beer was the great taste and aroma, I really like how the hops contrast the toasted malts. What I liked least about this beer was the mouthfeel, the carbonation was a little to high, but that seemed to be the only thing that didn't work that well with this beer. I would buy this beer again, in fact I already went back and got three more bottles before they jacked up the price, I highly recommend this beer to jut about anyone. All in all I was pretty impressed with this beer, it turned out to be the best out of the four bombers released in Michigan by New Belgium and so far it's my favorite Fall seasonal of the year, good job New Belgium, this is one great Fall time beer.

4.82/5  rDev +26.2%

A - Poured a nice 2 finger white head that lingers a bit and leaves a nice lacing. The beer itself is a nice crimson

S - Hoppy and nice. Got me excited to drink it as soon as I got a whiff.

T - Like no other beer I've ever had. Has a good hop twang, but it is also kind of malty with a caramel undertone

M - Just right. Carbonation is just right. Not a bad aftertaste.

Overall I am impressed with this beer. This beer intrigues me because of it's mixed beer style pedigree which is evident in the taste. It's like someone took red ale and an IPA and forced them to have a love child. There's also something about the taste that is just really distinct and very delicious. The taste is complex. Bitter at the start, but not too much. Then as it hits the back of the tongue, the sweetness and caramel flavor just comes through. Great beer.

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.5/5  rDev -34.6%

3.85/5  rDev +0.8%

Happily, New Belgium has finally made it's way into Michigan, so I picked up a bomber of this brew, mainly because of the name.

A good brew. Nice clean taste in this with a some kick of hops. Not very thick and goes down easily.

Very happy that I picked up a couple of this seasonal. A nice change from the octoberfests and pumpkins brews that everyone is putting out.

Red Hoptober from New Belgium Brewing