Lips Of Faith - Super India Pale Ale (Alpine Collaboration) | New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - Super India Pale Ale (Alpine Collaboration)Lips Of Faith - Super India Pale Ale (Alpine Collaboration)

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States
newbelgium.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by GilGarp on 08-04-2012

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

Pour gives a very generous creamy head that laces nicely on the glass. Ale color is a few shades into orange from a honey-golden hue. Very minimal haze. Nose is quite assertive and appetizing with very ripe fruits as well as candied fruits, plus a nice grassy/herbal hop component in the mixture. Palate is syrupy sweet with peach, biscuity malt, and plenty of fruity hoppy bitterness flavor to round it out. Alcohol heat is quite apparent though, especially as it warms. Finish is a little sharp for me.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Bottle poured into a tulip glass. Beer pours a clear light orange with a finger of bubbly white head, leaving a lot of sticky lacing as it dissipated to a half a finger. A few bubbles floating up every now and then.

Nose is mild but interesting, tropical fruit, pineapple and mango, orange, sweet grapefruit. A touch of caramel malt, but mostly sweet hops.

Taste is a bit nicer, nice tropical fruit, pineapple, mango, peach, orange, grapefruit peel, light fresh pine. A bit of caramel malt sweetness mid tongue, finishing dry and fairly clean with just a light tropical and citrus hop flavor lingering.

Light to medium body with some light carbonation. Very easy to drink with the high abv completely hidden. I would have loved to try this fresher, but still good.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

I first had this at Alpine Beer Co. on tap last month.Today it finally hit shelves here in So Cal. go figure. My initial impression was of a well made brew, maybe a bit syrupy and boozy but still better than a lot of IPA's on the market. From bottle the nose is more generous, I get much more of the tropical fruits from bottle, huge mango, papaya, as well as very ripe tangerine notes explode from the glass, yea, this smells like a Alpine brew. The flavor profile is more balanced from bottle, the fruits and hops play together much better in this version, and the boozy sticky aspect I previously picked up have mellowed into a cohesive well crafted mouth. The finish isnt much,but it is quite refreshing considering the abv. I had my doubts about the time it took to hit shelves here in The LA/ OC area but those are waning after every sip I take.

4.82/5  rDev +15.9%

I highly anticipated this collaboration having just moved from San Diego to Colorado. This really showcases what a DIPA should be all about in my opinion: complexity, balance and drinkability.

Super IPA really shines in the hop profile with tropical flavors of pineapple and some tangerine, citrus flavors. There is also some earthy, skunky, pine notes underneath.

There is a lot of malty sweetness to balance out the different hop flavors and that is what separates this beer and makes it memorable. A lot of DIPA's tend to be one trick ponies and just assault you with puckering alpha acids.

A hop monster should have many heads and for me being able to taste all of the layers while maintaining drinkability makes this one stand out. The mouthfeel is really exceptional and it tends to "melt" in your mouth the way the best Belgian beers do.

I've seen a few reviews comparing it to Pliny but for me I would choose this. Pliny is a great beer but there are DIPA's out there that have surpassed it in my opinion, this being one of them. A great welcome to Colorado!

4.42/5  rDev +6.3%

From 22 oz bomber into a tulip.

A-Quite clear. The color is copper tinted gold. The one-finger head is pretty thin and off-white to tan. It died quickly, but left a decent cap that hung around for a while.

S-Sweet hops. Almost lush and tropical with some nice pineapple notes. There is citrus, but I would say more orange than lemon. I didn't pick up much alcohol. There is a slight earthy note underneath all the sweetness, and a hint of spice.

T-Taste mostly follows the smell. Not much malt for me, but some serious pineapple and mildly earthy (sage, pine and onion?) hop flavors. There is some alcohol spice/heat as the beer warms up, but I thought this balanced the sweetness. I found this brew to be pretty well-balanced, but I like the sweeter things in life...so take my assessment with a grain of salt.

M-enjoyable and drinkable, but not memorable. This brew had lighter carbonation and medium body. Was not resinous when compared to others, e.g., Pliny.

O-I liked this beer quite a bit. It's no Pliny, but has a similar nose and flavor profile. If you like the sweeter side of hops and want a nice drinking IPA to finish off your summer, I would recommend checking this out.

PS--I also had this on tap, but did not take notes. My recollection of the smell, taste, and mouthfeel for the tap version are also positive.

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

Initial consumption, just minutes after the growler fill, from a Sam Adams lager glass.

Clear golden with visible carbonation. The rather sudsy white head leaves the glass partially coated with spots of sticky lace but is not very durable.

A: markedly strong hop aroma. High ABV easily detected, at least after warming a bit.

T: hints of honey. The hop component starts citrusy but turns piney by the finish, with grapefruit in the aftertaste. Enough malt here is significantly reduce the bitterness from what I would expect give the strong hop aroma and taste. {3.75)

M: medium body and carbonation. Slight harshness despite being a 9% DIPA.

O: a strongly aromatic and hoppy DIPA without the challenge of extreme bitterness. The hop component is too resiny and not as citrusy as i prefer.

Based on small samples of 2 other IPAs before selecting a fill, I'll like this less that the Stone Anniv. IPA (I'll be going back for it) but more than the Harpoon Leviathan IPA.

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

4.42/5  rDev +6.3%

Picked this up on a recent trip to Nashville...

Poured into my Founders tulip...

Fresh pungent burst of dank piney hops with a tinge of onion/garlic which I usually detest but it isn't overpowering here... It's a role player but not the lead role player if you get my drift... Maybe a little orange going on here as well... It's definitely pungent... Not getting any of the 9% either...

This beer means business from the first sip... Very prevalent piney hops with only a hint of the aforementioned onion/garlic and a big burst of bitterness reminiscent of orange zest... That being said, the sweetness of the malts seems to keep this from being a one trick pony... At 9%, the alcohol is surprisingly absent from the flavors and it's a little disconcerting... I'm glad I have only one of these as were there 2.... well.... It's the rest of the afternoon snoozing on the couch... Packs a wallop but you wouldn't know it from the taste...

A very good effort from both breweries here... I concur with previous opinions that this should be at least seasonal.... It's very well done and delicious....

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

A Pours a beautiful golden orange with a nice fluffy egg shell head.

S Tons of citrus, hops and malt. Not the most aromatic DIPA that I've smelled, but still a nice smelling beer.

T This is one of the most well balanced DIPA's I have had. grapefruit, orange, hops, malt all mesh at the front of the tongue. Slight bitter hops coats the tongue afterwards. This is damn tasty!

M Medium body with nice carbonation. Love the bitter ending and there is a coating left on your tongue afterwards.

O Holy smokes! I got this on a trip to Chicago and I had already bought a S-load of other beers at Three Floyds, so I only grabbed one of these. I am kicking myself for not taking another. This is one of the most balanced DIPA's I've had. So delicious and 9% ABV? I can't detect the booze at all. Wonderful collaboration!

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

22 oz bottle poured into a New Belgium globe.
9% ABV, number in label.

A - Bright mostly clear golden yellow in color, Super IPA has a frothy off-white head with loose root beer float-like bubbles and sticky lacing clutching the glass.

S - Bright citrusy hop aromas combine with soft earthy grass notes for a floral, jungle-like double IPA punch. Sweet mango with pineapple and lemon and grapefruit rind play off of the sharp wood chip nose and sweet, secondary malt profile. Good balance keeps it from being overwhelming here.

T - The flavor is a direct mirror of the aroma, really showcasing the balance of fruity and earthy hops for a delicate balancing act of wood and grass with citrus and exotic fruit blends. Malt remains a thing of afterthought, content to keep the hops balanced but elevated with it's caramel sweetness. What keeps it from utter greatness is the over-hopped finish of burnt rubber and hint of onion that I find common among powerful double IPAs.

M - Super IPA is crisp and refreshing starting with it's lean, medium-lighter body and mysteriously absent alcohol and moves into an amalgam of dry bitterness that's both welcome and aggressive at the same time. The lingering finish wont let go, almost clawing at your throat with bitter, sticky resin the whole way down.

O - Aside from the burnt rubber-like finish of the flavor, which isn't all that out of the ordinary, Super IPA from New Belgium is pretty outstanding. A hop head's delight, it combines powerfully earthy hops with the likes of bright citrusy, resiny ones for a delectable pretty drinkable double IPA!

Lips Of Faith - Super India Pale Ale (Alpine Collaboration) from New Belgium Brewing