Lips Of Faith - Imperial Coffee Chocolate Stout | New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - Imperial Coffee Chocolate StoutLips Of Faith - Imperial Coffee Chocolate Stout

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States
newbelgium.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by denver10 on 10-31-2012

4.3/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: black, brown head, finger, lots of lace

Aroma: rich chocolate, but a more coffee forward nose, very roasty and decadent.

Taste: coffee bean bitterness, roast, some charring, milk chocolate, toffee.

Mouthfeel: creamy, full bodied, mild carbonation.

Overall: the coffee notes throughout are absolutely delicious! This will remain a want!

4.29/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of New Belgium's Imperial Coffee Chocolate Stout from the Lips of Faith series for $6.99 at The Lager Mill. It's a cold and windy night in Mid Michigan and an Imperial Coffee Chocolate Stout sounds pretty good, this is my first beer from New Belgium's Lips of Faith Series, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, 2012 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into an snifter.

A- The label looks good and it has nice pop art vibe to it. It poured a nice black color that didn't let any light come through with three and a half fingers worth of fluffy dark tan head that left lots of sticky lacing behind. This is a very good looking beer, almost perfect, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by some malts that impart some grainy and roasted malt aromas. Up next comes the coffee and chocolate which show up very nicely and they make for a nice 50/50 blend that has an aroma that's similar to a mocha latte. The aroma is very good and just as advertised, I really enjoy it.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by some malts that impart a grainy and medium roasted malt flavor. Up next comes the coffee and chocolate, the coffee seems to overpower the chocolate slightly but they still show up nicely and still remind me of a mocha latte . On the finish I pick up hardly any alcohol with a lighter medium amount of astringent coffee like bitterness that is just the right amount and it works well with this beer and it had a roasted malt and very coffee like aftertaste. This is a good tasting beer, I enjoyed it a good deal and it was just as advertised.

M- Very smooth, creamy, slightly sticky, medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was good and worked well with this beer, but I thought it could be just a little thicker.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and pretty good example of the style, this beer exceeded my expectations and I think it could hold it's own against Founders Breakfast Stout, I really enjoyed this beer. This beer had good drinkability to it, it was very smooth with lots of nice rich flavors to hold my attention, I wouldn't rule out drinking a second bomber of this stuff and that's pretty rare for me with this style, I would love to have a bottle to share around the campfire this summer. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, they were both very good, this is the best looking stout that I've seen in awhile. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it wasn't bad at all, but it think it would be a little better if it was just a little thicker. I would buy this beer again, when FBS dries up this would be a nice alternative and I would recommend this to anyone who likes coffee and chocolate stouts and I thought it was also priced well which was an added bonus. All in all I was very happy with this beer, I didn't know what to expect from the Lips of Faith Series, but this turned out to be a hit and I really enjoyed drinking it. Great Job New Belgium, you can be sure that I will be checking out much more of the Lips of Faith Series.

4.27/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Served on tap at Barley's Taphouse in Asheville

A- pours pitch black with a small creamy light-tan head, reduces to a small layer leaving lace covering the rim

S- toasted cereal grain, fresh ground coffee, chocolate malt, slightly smoky

T- wow how is this not rated higher!? Intense fresh coffee notes with cereal grain sweetness, sweet chocolate malt mid palate, just enough hop kick at the end to compliment a semi dry finish

M- medium body, foamy mouthfeel with a smooth finish, abv hidden very well

O- this reminds me of a poor mans FBS, just a bit lighter mouthfeel and not as much chocolate. Still an amazing stout that is worthy of a higher rating IMO.

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured from 22 Oz. Bottle into Unibroue Tulip.

Appearance - Rich, dark brown, almost black. Cannot see through it when held up to a strong light source. One-finger head, that leaves behind great lacing, and decent retention.

Smell - FINALLY. One of the few brews out there brewed with coffee, that actually smells LIKE COFFEE!!! Thank you , Jesus! The chocolate kicks in nicely as well, and the 9% ABV isn't apparent in the nose at all. Can't wait to taste it...

Taste - A little lighter on the palate than I expected for a beer with this much weight in the color and nose department, but still pretty impressive. The coffee leads the way, followed by exactly what you'd expect from the name... Chocolate malt. There's an inherent creaminess to this beer, that makes me wonder if the brewer worked some lactose sugar in there towards the end of the boil. It doesn't stick around the palate for as long as you would expect, and the little bit of hop that is there adds some nice pepper notes. Once again, the fact that this beer clocks in at a hefty 9% is not apparent at all, which makes it a dangerous little contender for those who like to put back dark craft beer like water. Drinker : Exercise CAUTION.

Mouthfeel - Surprisingly light for being what it is, as previously mentioned. A hint of creaminess. The carbonation is light to moderate, which makes me think that NBB didn't bright-tank condition this one. (Maybe they don't use bright-tanks for their beers... more research is needed. ☺) Would be great Nitro-conditioned... just for fun. HINT HINT, NBB...

Overall - A totally drinkable, mocha-tinged effort from NBB. I was very impressed with this beer all around, due to the fact that several breweries boast about their "Coffee Porters/Stouts", that feature little to no coffee anywhere in the body or flavor of the beer.
This one is different. I will gladly add this to my list of suggested coffee beers, with a smile, and a virtual high-five to the good folks at New Belgium. Well done, friends... well done.

Lips Of Faith - Imperial Coffee Chocolate Stout from New Belgium Brewing