Lips Of Faith - Imperial Coffee Chocolate Stout | New Belgium Brewing

Lips Of Faith - Imperial Coffee Chocolate StoutLips Of Faith - Imperial Coffee Chocolate Stout

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States
newbelgium.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by denver10 on 10-31-2012

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

$6.99 for a 22oz bottle @ BevCo. Brewed with Pale malt, Midnight wheat, roasted Barley, coffee and chocolate. Hopped with Willamette.
9% ABV per the bottle, 39 IBU's per the website.

Pours out to a clear near black, very dark brown, forming a moderate whipped tan head with excellent retention and lacing. Moderate carbonation, ~2.5 carbs. Not quite as dark as I was expecting for an imperial stout. The nose is heavily infused with coffee, hiding most of the other characteristics...chalk, black walnut, mild roast, faint chocolate, no hops with no off-aromas. The mouthfeel is lightly tart from the coffee, with a medium-large body and some creaminess and a medium finish. The taste is a recap of the aroma...coffee, chalk, black walnut, chocolate in the aftertaste with some faint dark fruits and moderate roasted grain bite and astringency. Hops are herbal in nature with a medium bitterness. VERY chalky. As peculiar as it sounds, there is an interesting tequila bite, and I have no idea where that comes from...like white pepper. I really enjoy Willamette in stouts and porters. As it warms, the coffee takes on even more character and pretty much overpowers the beer, hiding what could have been some wonderful complexity if they would have taken it easy on the coffee.

This is a good beer, but it's a little too one-dimensional, which is a problem I frequently find with coffee stouts. This drinks more like an american stout, not an imperial due to the minimal dark fruits and the hop presence.

3.66/5  rDev -6.9%

A: Dark brown and black body, with a small creamy tan head. Some spots of lacing.

S: I pick up notes of light coffee.

T: Very mellow flavors here. There's coffee and some oak-like woody flavor. The label reads "Imperial Coffee Chocolate Stout." I didn't really pick up any chocolate flavors. There is a roasted quality to the beer that could be chocolate, but when I drink this I don't immediately taste chocolate. It's coffee and more coffee.

M: This beer is light on bitterness. It is fairly smooth. Easy to drink. The body is robust and full.

O: Overall the beer was a nice Imperial Stout. I felt the coffee flavors worked well with it. I would have liked a lot more chocolate flavor. I would recommend it to those who enjoy coffee stouts exclusively. I felt it did have a nice robust flavor and mouthfeel which was enjoyable.

4.29/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of New Belgium's Imperial Coffee Chocolate Stout from the Lips of Faith series for $6.99 at The Lager Mill. It's a cold and windy night in Mid Michigan and an Imperial Coffee Chocolate Stout sounds pretty good, this is my first beer from New Belgium's Lips of Faith Series, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, 2012 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into an snifter.

A- The label looks good and it has nice pop art vibe to it. It poured a nice black color that didn't let any light come through with three and a half fingers worth of fluffy dark tan head that left lots of sticky lacing behind. This is a very good looking beer, almost perfect, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by some malts that impart some grainy and roasted malt aromas. Up next comes the coffee and chocolate which show up very nicely and they make for a nice 50/50 blend that has an aroma that's similar to a mocha latte. The aroma is very good and just as advertised, I really enjoy it.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by some malts that impart a grainy and medium roasted malt flavor. Up next comes the coffee and chocolate, the coffee seems to overpower the chocolate slightly but they still show up nicely and still remind me of a mocha latte . On the finish I pick up hardly any alcohol with a lighter medium amount of astringent coffee like bitterness that is just the right amount and it works well with this beer and it had a roasted malt and very coffee like aftertaste. This is a good tasting beer, I enjoyed it a good deal and it was just as advertised.

M- Very smooth, creamy, slightly sticky, medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was good and worked well with this beer, but I thought it could be just a little thicker.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and pretty good example of the style, this beer exceeded my expectations and I think it could hold it's own against Founders Breakfast Stout, I really enjoyed this beer. This beer had good drinkability to it, it was very smooth with lots of nice rich flavors to hold my attention, I wouldn't rule out drinking a second bomber of this stuff and that's pretty rare for me with this style, I would love to have a bottle to share around the campfire this summer. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, they were both very good, this is the best looking stout that I've seen in awhile. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it wasn't bad at all, but it think it would be a little better if it was just a little thicker. I would buy this beer again, when FBS dries up this would be a nice alternative and I would recommend this to anyone who likes coffee and chocolate stouts and I thought it was also priced well which was an added bonus. All in all I was very happy with this beer, I didn't know what to expect from the Lips of Faith Series, but this turned out to be a hit and I really enjoyed drinking it. Great Job New Belgium, you can be sure that I will be checking out much more of the Lips of Faith Series.

3.97/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Sampled in back-to-back comparison with a Great Divide Espresso Oak Aged Imperial Stout.
Appearance: thick black and completely opaque, even when held to direct sunlight. Large, creamy tan head is
Smell: Big, roasted coffee and malt notes, with some dark chocolate notes.
Taste: Roasted malt and coffee at first then ramps up into a strong, smoky espresso palate. Finishes bitter leaving the aftertaste of expresso.
Mouthfeel: full body with very good carbonation.
Overall: for expresso lovers only.

4.05/5  rDev +3.1%

Nice looking, deep black with a chocolate head.

Chocolate and coffee - roasty notes in the nose.

Dark chocolate and coffee the primary flavors, with a milk stout vibe and a bit of a dry finish.

Very smooth mouthfeel.

Wonderful mouthfeel and flavors everybody likes make this quite drinkable, but overall the flavors are muted, and in the genre of big coffee chocolate stouts, sadly this isn't really a standout. Tasty but not remarkable.

4.24/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a balloon glass.

The beer is coffee black with a mocha head that turns to patchy film, light lacing.

The aroma has an arid, chalky cocoa to it, as well as coffee grounds, raisins, faint alcohol.

The taste starts out alcoholic then goes to bitter dark chocolate followed with a really good coffee grind bitterness. The coffee is really in this taste. The finish is sharp, minty, and dry.

Mouthfeel is dry and medium bodied.

Overall, I enjoyed this a lot, as the coffee and chocolate were brought out well.

Lips Of Faith - Imperial Coffee Chocolate Stout from New Belgium Brewing