Lips Of Faith - Biere De Garde | New Belgium Brewing

newbelgium.com

Style: Bière de Garde

Added by WastingFreetime on 11-14-2012

4.17/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.16/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.16/5  rDev +13.7%

A-

22oz into a tulip. Pours a crystal clear pale new penny copper, encouragement required for a minor off white head, minor lacing.

The aroma is a delight. Peaches mango pineapple encompassed in candied jelly orange slices. Slight mustiness.

Flavor surprises with pronounced undulations. Starts sweet and fruity then dips abruptly to a low earthy note, rolls to a dry finish which accompanies the orange pineapple herbal aftertaste that lingers pleasantly. Notes of Hi-C. Increasingly earthy with warmth.
delicious
cheers
jd

4.14/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very pale ale looking with a somewhat clear, nectarine colored pour. Faint haze, but still mostly clear. The head is a nice contrasting bright white and has decent retention. A swirl kicks the bubbles back into motion and leaves a spotty lace.

I'm really undecided on the scent. It's got a German-ish, European smell, which I don't care much for, but at the same time, it's got some Belgo yeasty notes and American citrus smells as well. As it warms, the alcohol and peppery yeast come thru.

The taste is pretty spectacular. It's alcohol forward, along with plenty of malt to offset the yeast and citrus. Complex taste and feel.

Complexion at its finest with sweetness up front, spicy comes on mid-sip, then a savory hop bitterness and acidic tropical fruit feel in the dry, spicy finish. Alcohol and heat from the hops lingers well into the finish. Medium body.

The beer didn't do much for me early on, but the flavor more than made up for it. It's a smooth beer, an easy drinker, despite some aggressive ingredients. Your palate is constantly being challenged.

4.13/5  rDev +12.8%

When poured, the color was a clear golden yellow with a little white foam and very little lace. But, the smell of sweet citrus and spice filled the nose with a plesant aroma of all the wonder smells. The taste was of orange and lemon citrus, along with a hint on spices that I cannot say what! Great finish on the aftertaste and palate. Not acidic or bitter. I will say that the colder this ale, the better the taste and flavor and balance. When it started to warm up, the flavor had a dull acidic finish. So, drink while cold!

4.09/5  rDev +11.7%

Good, solid, flavourful beer. What was odd about it was trying to decide whether it was refreshing or not. All of the flavours were very fresh and refreshing, so were very delicious, but the beer itself was yeasty to the point of frothiness in a very unrefreshing way. So, despite all those fresh citrus and hop flavours that were nonetheless delicious, I would have to find new scenarios in which to drink this because normally I only drink beers with those flavours in the summer when it's hot. This, I would never want to drink if it were hot. It would be cloyingly frothy and unsatisfying. This is definitely a late-night beer, but with a zesty, summery taste. An interesting meeting of worlds. Give it a try if you're in the mood for something new and interesting.

4.08/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours out a light burnt copper color and is topped off with a thin white head that sticks around for a while. The aroma is very pleasant, lots a citrus( lemons and lemon zest) come through. Mild grass and wheat smells are also present. Smooth and crisp as it hits your tongue, this ale quickly warms up your mouth with cloves, grapes medium wheat and banana flavors all wrapped around a semi tart and sweet body, which by the way is light to medium. The aftertaste is a bit more sweeter and almost reminds me of a sweet-tart. The alcohol is well hidden, this a very well brewed beer and it goes down very well. This is my first Biere De Garde and I gotta say I’m a fan for life.

4.08/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into an Allagash cervoise glass.

A: Two fingers of stark white head top a mostly clear golden ale.

S: Lemon verbena and dry yeast.

T: An interesting bière de garde with fairly herbal flavours and a flowery finish.

M: Perfect. Creamy, thick, and delicate. Lightly carbonated with a hint of fennel spice and light cirtric zest.

O: Incredibly drinkable and highly recommended. I would have again and again and again.

4.03/5  rDev +10.1%

22oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

Birthday beer from my wife.

A- Clean, golden-blonde body shows just the slightest haze. 1-finger, off-white head falls to a light foam and leaves some awesome stick. Not much yeast, even with a swirl on the final pour.

S- Belgian funk with the crack of the cap threw me a bit. Candy sweet with some grassy hops. Apple peel. Dare I say "farmhouse" or "horse blanket?" Some cellar-like or corked quality even though I know this isn't necessarily aged or corked, especially as it warms.

T- Interesting. Belgian funkiness for sure. Almost corn-like at the beginning, then a rush of green apple. Light grainy flavors. Any citrus contributed by orange peel addition is subdued. Quite sweet throughout with a dryish finish. Any hint of higher ABV is fairly masked. Just a touch assertive. I really wavered between a 3.5 and 4.

M- Moderate-heavy carbonation. Dry.

O- Definitely on the blonde side of the Biere de Garde spectrum. Funkier than most I've had. Yeasty quality does remind me of Vivant's Farmhand and its variants. 9% ABV does make for robust flavor without any burn. I'd almost think it a Belgian strong ale if I wasn't told differently. I'd like to grab another bottle as I know my wife's Brie en croute is going to make a holiday appearance very soon. May be a good pairing.

4.02/5  rDev +9.8%

I picked up a bottle of New Belgium's Biere De Garde from their Lips of Faith series last month for 8.99 at The Lager Mill. This beer was from when New Belgium collaborated with Brewery Vivant last year, I really like the beer that Brewery Vivant put out from that collaboration, Escoffier, and since I liked that beer so much I thought I would try the one that New Belgium put out, so lets see how it goes. 2012 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a Belgian tulip.

A- The bottle looks pretty good, just like most beers from the Lips of Faith series, I like the nod to Brewery Vivant with the nice looking roosters. It poured a fairly hazy yellow color that took on some nice golden hues when held to the light with three fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left a good amount of lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, the color was good and the head and lacing were very good, I liked the way it looked.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a nice citrus aroma, I get a slight bit of lemon, but it's the orange rind that seems to stick out the most and it blends nicely with a medium barnyard funk aroma. After that I get a straw like aroma, with a good amount of bready malts with a light caramel malt aroma in the background. Towards the end I get a little more fruit with some lighter apple like aromas coming through. This beer had a good aroma, it fairly complex and nicely balanced, neither the orange rind or the barnyard funk were too overpowering.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by some nice citrus fruit flavors, there's some lemon in the background, but it's the orange rinds that stick out the most, but they aren't overpowering. Up next comes a slightly lower amount of medium barnyard funk with some wet hay sticking out the most. Up next comes a nice honey flavor with some Belgian Witbier like spice with cloves sticking out the most. Towards the end I get a nice crisp apple and slight pear flavor. On the finish there's a medium amount of light bitterness with a little bit of tartness to go with some orange rind, light barnyard funk, and apple coming through in the aftertaste. This was a pretty good tasting beer, it was pretty complex and it had a nice balance to it.

M- smooth, crisp, clean, refreshing, medium bodied, with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation that was a little fizzy. The mouthfeel was good and it worked well with this beer, no complaints.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and a good example of the style, I don't have a ton of experience with this style, I like it, but there aren't too many Biere De Gardes available to me, so i try just about everyone I see and so far this is my favorite, I really liked how complex it was. This beer had great drinkability, it was smooth, clean, not filling, refreshing, and the flavors did a great job at holding my attention, it would be nice to have a bottle of this on a warm summer day and I wouldn't rule out drinking a couple bombers of this, I think it's a nice and refreshing summertime beer. What I liked the most about this beer was how balanced it was, neither the orange rinds or the barnyard funk were to overpowering, I really liked that. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, there isn't anything that I didn't like or would change. I would buy this beer again, if there's any left when I go to the store next time I'll get a bottle to throw in the cellar and see how it develops overtime, it was a little pricey, but it is 9% and I think it's worth the price, I would recommend it to anyone who likes the style or doesn't mind a little funk with their beer. All in all i was pretty happy with this beer, I still like Escoffier more, but this is still a fine beer that I enjoyed drinking. Brewery Vivant and New Belgium did a good job with this beer and I hope they come together to collaborate on some more beers in the future, nice work guys..

Pours an effervescent bronnze with a thumb of pearl colored head. Good lacing & head retention

S: Breadyness, hay, apple skins & raw booze once warm

T: Follows the nose, a touch of white grapes & rose water, along with pineapple up front. More pineapple, some lemons & green apple as this warms, a touch of grassyness & tartness too. Finishes with lemon zest, grassyness & pineapple & just a bit of phenols on the edges

MF: Medium bodied, fairly lively carbonation that smooths out as it warms, some warming notes as this warms, some stickyness

A nice Americanized take on the style, very drinkable, but way too clean to be a straight up reproduction of the style

Lips Of Faith - Biere De Garde from New Belgium Brewing