Lips Of Faith - Biere De Garde | New Belgium Brewing

Style: Bière de Garde

Added by WastingFreetime on 11-14-2012

4.5/5  rDev +23%

4.08/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into an Allagash cervoise glass.

A: Two fingers of stark white head top a mostly clear golden ale.

S: Lemon verbena and dry yeast.

T: An interesting bière de garde with fairly herbal flavours and a flowery finish.

M: Perfect. Creamy, thick, and delicate. Lightly carbonated with a hint of fennel spice and light cirtric zest.

O: Incredibly drinkable and highly recommended. I would have again and again and again.

4.5/5  rDev +23%

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

3.7/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured from 22oz bomber into a tulip.

Appearance: medium golden hue with a touch of haze and a moderate effervescence. Head is a finger of frothy white foam with a nice lace on the glass. I like it.

Smell: toasty malt base with a tiny bit of funk and plenty of that orange peel coming out in the aroma. It almost smells like there's coriander in the mix as well, although the label doesn't say this. The mix of toast and coriander reminds me strongly of Froot Loops cereal. Am I wrong for liking this? I think it's playful and enticing.

Taste: toasty malt with a kind of wet sourness which isn't great. I think it's a remnant from all that orange peel. Not as lovely as the aroma, although the aftertaste has kind of a nice ring to it.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a good level of carbonation and a nice, creamy mouthfeel. I like it.

Overall: not the greatest beer in the world, flavor-wise; I think the orange just added too much acid or something. Aroma is weird but enjoyable, which saves it just a little bit. Still, I don't think I'll be going after this one again.

3.97/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours a very light amber with ample head, slightly cloudy.
Smell is interesting and complex. I get citrus, wheat, hops, coriander (?), yeast.
Taste is bitter on the tongue, almost buttery in the mouth and that citrus comes into play.
All very low key.
Mouthfeel is as complex as the smell. Really not to be missed.

Overall, it's a beer that doesn't get old. Also it needs to be said that the warming is noticeable, more so than any winter warmer (9% doesn't seem that much higher than most warmers). Dangerously drinkable!

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

3.7/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Review from memory and a few notes

Serving Type - 4oz pour from the New Belguim "Ranger Sation" Brewpub in Snowmass Village

A - lighter than I would have expected, but the color well represented the cistrus taste of the Beer. It was straw yellow, similar to a Wit, but much less hazy (although not entirley clear either)

S - Citrus and yeast are the main elements of the nose, with notes of lemon along with it.

T - Again, Citrus and yeast are the predominant flavors, but there is a lemon zest to be found, likely caused by the use of the Sorachi Ace hop. The sutle but distint lemon citrus flavor in this beer give an ejoyable play of the orange. No decernable booze, which is surprising concerdering the flavor profile and that this beer is 9% ABV.

M - Average mouthfeel, quite light, although it does have some cloying effect to it.

O - enjoyable beer, I would recomend trying it once, as the Sorachi Ace is an interesting hop, and this is a good example of it.

4.08/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours out a light burnt copper color and is topped off with a thin white head that sticks around for a while. The aroma is very pleasant, lots a citrus( lemons and lemon zest) come through. Mild grass and wheat smells are also present. Smooth and crisp as it hits your tongue, this ale quickly warms up your mouth with cloves, grapes medium wheat and banana flavors all wrapped around a semi tart and sweet body, which by the way is light to medium. The aftertaste is a bit more sweeter and almost reminds me of a sweet-tart. The alcohol is well hidden, this a very well brewed beer and it goes down very well. This is my first Biere De Garde and I gotta say I’m a fan for life.

4.03/5  rDev +10.1%

22oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

Birthday beer from my wife.

A- Clean, golden-blonde body shows just the slightest haze. 1-finger, off-white head falls to a light foam and leaves some awesome stick. Not much yeast, even with a swirl on the final pour.

S- Belgian funk with the crack of the cap threw me a bit. Candy sweet with some grassy hops. Apple peel. Dare I say "farmhouse" or "horse blanket?" Some cellar-like or corked quality even though I know this isn't necessarily aged or corked, especially as it warms.

T- Interesting. Belgian funkiness for sure. Almost corn-like at the beginning, then a rush of green apple. Light grainy flavors. Any citrus contributed by orange peel addition is subdued. Quite sweet throughout with a dryish finish. Any hint of higher ABV is fairly masked. Just a touch assertive. I really wavered between a 3.5 and 4.

M- Moderate-heavy carbonation. Dry.

O- Definitely on the blonde side of the Biere de Garde spectrum. Funkier than most I've had. Yeasty quality does remind me of Vivant's Farmhand and its variants. 9% ABV does make for robust flavor without any burn. I'd almost think it a Belgian strong ale if I wasn't told differently. I'd like to grab another bottle as I know my wife's Brie en croute is going to make a holiday appearance very soon. May be a good pairing.

Lips Of Faith - Biere De Garde from New Belgium Brewing