Cascara Quad | New Belgium Brewing

newbelgium.com

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

Added by GilGarp on 02-11-2013

4.99/5  rDev +37.8%

This is one of the best beers I have ever tried. So sweet, malty, and fruity with the perfect smell AND mouthfeel. It might have to be my new favourite quad because on top of anything I would have expected, it's got this alcoholic "nastiness" to it. I'm not sure how to best describe it, but it's the perfect mist of musty earthiness and alcoholic bite. Basically, as a connoisseur of malt liquor (a rare specialty), this has everything a kickass malt liquor needs with everything a freaking awesome quad needs as well. It's the best of both worlds and is a top competitor for my personal favourite beer of all time (as those are my two favourite styles). It's super-light in body (for the style), very sweet, but has enough malty flavour crammed into that light body to make it very interesting.

Caution: This is a HOT brew. I'm talking hot, alcoholic flavour. So, if you don't want to taste that, don't put it into your mouth. If you're into that, go pick this up right now.

4.79/5  rDev +32.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

New Belgium is my father

4.76/5  rDev +31.5%

Always seen various of the Lips of Faith series around, just never grabbed until now for some reason. I've had (and enjoyed) brews incorporating coffee, but the Extra Mile here of using the fruit around the bean had me thinking "how does *that* work?", and I figured best way to find out is to drink it. Deuce-deuce bottle, you're comin with me...

Mug fills a dirty, not even translucent brown, about the shade of the flesh of an apple left out too long. Persistent head of a centimeter or two, white & clingy. Scents suggest roasted nuts & sour fruits.

Swig incorporates the fruits & nuts of the scent, plus brown sugar & a gradually snowballing charge of outright barley action. Also I now see what they're getting at with the tobacco mention on the blurb, as a taste akin to how high-end tobacco smells hovers around that I'm enjoying. I don't smoke, but I feel like a cigar would easily be appropriate accompaniment. Meanwhile, the lacing hangs around like it owns my mug, & after three swigs the remnant of head is still sticking around. This is a *rich* beer, with only enough fizz to explain the head -- it doesn't need any more.

Oh yeah, and besides the warming effect, the alcohol is incognito. Completely.

This is beer as contemplative beverage. You don't slug this at the sports bar among strangers during the latest MMA event, you drink this among a minimal amount of close colleagues and discuss philosophy between swigs. One to remember...and buy again if possible.

4.72/5  rDev +30.4%