Lips Of Faith - Cascara Quad | New Belgium Brewing

Added by GilGarp on 02-11-2013

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
Reviews: 90 | Ratings: 513
3.63/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This quad pours a fairly dark reddish brown color with a medium tan head that dissipates fairly quickly. There is a good amount of carbonation at first. The smell is yeasty and somewhat fruity, probably cherry. The flavor is quite intense. It has notes of date, coffee, and cherries as the bottle says and a big yeasty backbone. There is also a very detectable flavor of alcohol. This is common to quads, and not something that I normally mind, but it is a little more overpowering here than I would prefer. Although the flavors are nice, this beer lacks the complexity and some of the polish of a truly great quad. It seems like a beer that has some of the right things going for it, but just doesn’t totally come together in the end. It is somewhat enjoyable, and it will get you drunk at 10%, but if you want a really great example of the style this isn’t it.

3.77/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

22oz. Best by August 2014

Deep amber with ruby highlights. Big and fluffy cream colored head leaves behind some sticky sheets of lace.

Smell is surprising, as I was not expecting the cherry to be so dominant. This blends well into the malt backbone, with some figs and dates in there as well. Very mild coffee underneath.

Cherry is a bit subdued in the taste. Rich maltiness ends with a lingering tobacco finish. Crisp, medium body. Wouldn't mind this being a little thicker.

Price can't be beat at $6/bomber. However, I don't feel all the components meld seamlessly enough to drive me to get more.

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Color - thick and cloudy unfiltered maple syrup.

Aroma- sweet nutty caramel.

Taste- Starts with a velvety dark cherry note mildly shifting to a buttery Belgian yeasty spiciness, finishing with a dark chocolate dry lingering beauty.

Poured from 650 ml bomber into a Liefmans Goudenband glass (my preferred all purpose beer tasting glass). Tasted 5/4/13.

3.99/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I keep changing my mind about this beer with every sip. I know I like it, but I can't decide if its awesome or just good. I know I am a fan of the high alcohol, the taste of it is there and you can definitely smell it. There is a bit of a twang to the flavor, and it comes out as it gets warmer.

It almost tastes a bit flat, the mouth feel is nice though. I think I will just have to pick up another bottle and try it again.

3.15/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bomber into a chalice

Best by August 2014

Pours a honey brown with a 2 finger tan heAd

Basic quad nose of dark fruits, molasses, and some slight spice

Lots going on flavor wise. Dark fruits hit right away, some funkyness hits and it finishes dry but sweet with cherry flavor

Not too bad.

4.76/5  rDev +31.5%

Always seen various of the Lips of Faith series around, just never grabbed until now for some reason. I've had (and enjoyed) brews incorporating coffee, but the Extra Mile here of using the fruit around the bean had me thinking "how does *that* work?", and I figured best way to find out is to drink it. Deuce-deuce bottle, you're comin with me...

Mug fills a dirty, not even translucent brown, about the shade of the flesh of an apple left out too long. Persistent head of a centimeter or two, white & clingy. Scents suggest roasted nuts & sour fruits.

Swig incorporates the fruits & nuts of the scent, plus brown sugar & a gradually snowballing charge of outright barley action. Also I now see what they're getting at with the tobacco mention on the blurb, as a taste akin to how high-end tobacco smells hovers around that I'm enjoying. I don't smoke, but I feel like a cigar would easily be appropriate accompaniment. Meanwhile, the lacing hangs around like it owns my mug, & after three swigs the remnant of head is still sticking around. This is a *rich* beer, with only enough fizz to explain the head -- it doesn't need any more.

Oh yeah, and besides the warming effect, the alcohol is incognito. Completely.

This is beer as contemplative beverage. You don't slug this at the sports bar among strangers during the latest MMA event, you drink this among a minimal amount of close colleagues and discuss philosophy between swigs. One to remember...and buy again if possible.

3.77/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Served slightly chilled in a tulip.

Pours a deep rich mahogany red with an inch of tan head that slowly recedes leaving moderate surface layer and lacing.

Amazing aromas as soon as you pop the cap. Caramelized sugars, dried fruits and a boozy alcohol background.

Flavors of molasses, dried fruits, some sourness from the cherries, a touch ashy bitterness from the coffee with a touch of banana and cloves.

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation and a sweet finish and aftertaste.

The nose on this beer is amazing, the flavor however is a little too busy for me. Complexity is good thing, but I can't help but think they went a little overboard with this beer.

3.64/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Served from a 22 oz bomber in a New Belgium goblet.

A- 4.75 A really nice looking beer. Dark but clear amber, small head (gentle pour). Really nice lacing, marking the level of each sip ... a foamy, tan curtain of foam.

S- 3.25 Not the best smell. Sweet tobacco & slightly metallic. I think I can smell the dates too.

T- 3.5 Taste follows the smell plus slightly dry. There's a slight coffee taste but not what you'd think. Boozy & metallic. Tobacco'ish taste is prominent but not in a bad way. Can really sense the alcohol content but, once again, not in a bad way.

M- 3.75 Good carbonation. A little dryness.

O- 4 Overall seems better than the sum of its parts. Nice carbonation, great look but a little lacking in taste. Didn't cure my "thirst" but my head got fuzzy after killing the botle. It did get more complex once it warmed a bit, but I'd probably grab the Heavenly Feijoa (radically different style, I know) instead next time if I had to choose between the two, but I prefer the bretty-funkiness & tartness in most of my faves anyway.

4.2/5  rDev +16%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

It's bold, complex, unique and ass-kickingly delicious. Watch yourself with this one.

The beer pours a translucent tawny with a tan head that never full disappears. Lacings are quasi-sudsy.

The smell is slightly sweet, like molasses and dry fruit (like dates, I guess). On a more pretentious note, there's a slight sting of alcohol that blends well with a hint of damp pipe tobacco.

Drinking this beer takes time and consideration. A thick, sticky mouthfeel lets a spicy, fruity start engulf your mouth. Then it turns on a dime into a semi-smoky, funk that's slightly bitter. The end is dry, almost dusty, comparatively, with a slight hint of fresh coffee.

I think a little more gravity would've done this beer a world of good, but it still has plenty going on to be worth the buy.

3.21/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance-
Deep brown and red, cloudy, two fingers off white head.

Smell-
Slight alcohol, then a mingling of the cherries and coffee.

Taste-
Coffee surprisingly is the upfront flavor, but the alcohol flavor hits hard, a lingering of sweet cherries.

Mouthfeel-
Lighter then I was expecting, but a bit thicker than Belgian.

Overall-
The alcohol taste fades the more you drink, but there is still an presence no matter how much. Interesting, but definitely a one time.

4.22/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This may be a hint off in color, but with all that's been added I'm not surprised. I can't knock it much for that. Plenty of malty, high abv. It's a quad alright.

Cherry with a hint of date: kind of fig-y. The coffee is in the background, but pleasant. A lot of malt provides heavy body. Lucious. Carbonation is light and supports all the aforementioned flavor. Malt is pale and some pils in sense.

A bit hazy. Head is pillow and solid.

I love this beer, but tis a sipper and not "candy" in any sense. Expect the darker, deeper side of cherry.

Abv at 10 is there, but not dominate in any sense.

3.18/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

I picked this bottle up because I haven't had a Quad for New Belgium brewing company. As soon as i opened the bottle i was over whelmed with a smell of cherries. The appearance was a thin white head that just floats on the top of the beer with nice lacing. The smell was dominant ed by spices with the hint of cherries. The taste was just all over the place the flavors were not as balanced as they should of been. Overall not a bad beer is just decent to me.

4.21/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

New Belgium Brewing (Fort Collins, CO) – Lips of Faith – Cascara Quad 10.00% ABV

Suggested Glassware: Snifter, Tulip

A – Murky brown pond water with a soft off white head that disappears pretty quickly from the high ABV. Lots of nice long lasting lacing (try saying that ten times fast) some barely visible alcohol legs and some good carbonation streaming off the sides.

S – A lot of that thick Belgium yeast coming through immediately. Some of those cherries this thing said it was brewed with. Some dank type arabica coffee (or is it “coffee arabica”) in there somewhere. Some banana type smells from the neck. Pretty decent smelling for a quad.

T – This thing is all over the place I am having a tough time nailing down any one flavor. There some sweets like caramels but there is also some funk in the middle of the mouth which might be coffee I am not sure. At the end if lots of tart cherries. I am not sure how I feel about this. The finish is really dry which is typical of the style. As I let this warm up I am getting more of those coffee notes which reminds me of the Bourbon County Coffee Stout. I will be back in a half hour to finish this after this thing has a chance to warm up.

X2 - Way more sweetness way more cherries way more alcohol burn. This is thing brings its “A” game after some time. Still a lot of that sticky dry finish but the flavor profile really picks up

M – Thin to Medium type body on this with a fair amount of carbonation some sticky finishes on this gives that a dry aftertaste. Not to bad for drinkability but certainly wouldn’t mind some more heaviness to this someday.

O – For a quad I wanted more but to be fair this take on the style was adventurous and I appreciate that. I have had quads with cherries before but definitively not cherries and coffee. Despite what I have wrote above I feel that this is a good solid beer. There is very little wrong with it and even less from New Belgium as a whole. This is decent and if I could offer any advice pour this and let it warm up the tastes really come alive.

2.98/5  rDev -17.7%

too much alcohol flavor not enough any other flavor. The coffee didn't make an appearance and the cherry was not in the forefront. The only thing that sold me was .... did i mention $2 14 oz drafts left over from tap take over at that price Im going to sample it all night long.... could be much tasiter!

3.46/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bomber into a tulip.

A - Medium brown/reddish color, hazy, very little head with some bubbles, minimal head retention.

N - Some yeast esters, including banana and clove, malty, some coffee and dark fruit.

T - Very estery, candi sugar, some alcohol burn, tart cherries, pepper, slight coffee, tobacco. Alcohol burn in the after taste followed by dark fruit. I left about 6 oz to warm up to about 55 degrees, and, at that temperature, the beer was very, very boozy.

M - Properly carbonated for the style, lingering, medium body, bubbly, but allows flavors to meld well.

O - Decent offering. Good variation of the style with its hints of fruit, coffee and tobacco, but it's a little too subtle and the alcohol burn may be too present to make it great. Still, it was enjoyable.

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last