Rampant Imperial IPA | New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States
newbelgium.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

A burly and bitter Imperial IPA, Rampant pours a pure copper and carries the sheen of a rightly hopped beer. The Mosaic and Calypso hops bring stonefruit to the front seat, and the addition of Centennials nod towards citrus for a well-rounded aroma. The taste expands these hops with heavy peach tones and a profoundly bitter bite. There is some malt sweetness to stand this beer up, and Rampant's finish is bone-dry.

Added by Huffaroma on 02-24-2013

firstprev| 426-450 | 451-475 | 476-500  | next → last
Reviews: 482 | Ratings: 2,868
4.45/5  rDev +17.7%

I really don't take this serious enough to actually consider the appearance, smell, or mouthfeel, so if these are important to you this review probably won't be of meaningful interest. However, if you are a fan of the taste of IPAs and want something that tastes great then read on. I am new at this so please bear with me. I am a big fan of O'Dells IPA, great stuff...am I right or am I right. And I am a huge fan of Pliny the Elder, which I recently had for the first time (because I haven't experienced Pliny the Younger or Heady Topper) it is my personal opinion that Pliny the Elder is the standard to which all IPAs should be judged. Keeping that in mind I was very pleasantly surprised with Rampant. I am from Fort Collins and in this town you are either a NB fan or and O'Dells fan (no disrespect for the newer smaller breweries/ brewpubs). I have always been an O'Dells fan. However, with NB release of Rampant I have gained a new appreciation for NB. This is not like Ranger at all. The subtle citrus and fruit flavor mixed with the malts make this an amazing IIPA. It is very affordable, well at least in FC, and the ABV is 8.5%. The hops are not to overbearing and I feel that anybody that appreciates a good beer will enjoy this. I would recommend this to almost anyone who enjoys craft beer. This is not a beer for Joe the Plumber, but then again Joe the Plumber is probably not reading this and is content with his case of Budweiser. I digress, go out and give this a try...it is a great beer.

3.99/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Beautifully constructed beer. It is only a little bitter compared to DFH 90m, which for me is the perfect beer. Although it left me with a dissatisfaction in aroma hops, it was an awesome deal at $8/6 pack at 8.5%. This beer continues to be my go to for nights that my wife can't understand that I need to drink more than she "approves of".

4.3/5  rDev +13.8%

I'm not a beer expert and I have no idea what you're all talkin about. But this stuff is awesome! Wonderful flavor and aroma; deep rich tones. I don't know what fruit it tastes like, but it's delicious. And it goes great with a hearty meal. This beer has the depth and subtle layers of a great wine. Sorry, but sometimes you need to hear from a lay person and get beyond all of the standard reviews.

3.84/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 1.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

This is absolutely delicious and extremely floral. One problem, it's too sweet. Imperial IPA means high alcohol and high hops, not high everything. I know sugar sells, but I come to the Imperial IPA for crispness. Like I said, delicious. And complex, but not what I was looking for.

Amazing Imperial! Fell in love the first time it hit my lips. Living in Fort Collins, CO for 5 years, I have come to appreciate the craftiness of my two favorite breweries....Odell and New Belgium. I would highly recommend at least trying any brews these two make!

1.34/5  rDev -64.6%

There is something definitely wrong with this beer. It has a very odd odor and an even worse taste. I would love to describe it for you, but I can't put a name to it. It is a sick, floral disgusting smell and even worse taste. I generally don't throw out beer, but am strongly considering it on the rest of this six pack. Not a fan of New Belgium in general, but this is the worst.

4.39/5  rDev +16.1%

(New to this)

A very powerful IPA. If you don't like bitter beers, this one is not for you. For me, it's a little overpowering for the first few sips, but quickly becomes a very tasty beer. A bit of a copper color with a very white head. The hops are VERY apparent, and I almost tasted a hint of citrus.

This is one of my absolute favorite IPAs, usually being drank once or twice a week.

firstprev| 426-450 | 451-475 | 476-500  | next → last