Rampant Imperial IPA | New Belgium Brewing

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States
newbelgium.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

A burly and bitter Imperial IPA, Rampant pours a pure copper and carries the sheen of a rightly hopped beer. The Mosaic and Calypso hops bring stonefruit to the front seat, and the addition of Centennials nod towards citrus for a well-rounded aroma. The taste expands these hops with heavy peach tones and a profoundly bitter bite. There is some malt sweetness to stand this beer up, and Rampant's finish is bone-dry.

Added by Huffaroma on 02-24-2013

3.96/5  rDev +4.8%

4.32/5  rDev +14.3%

4.5/5  rDev +19%

4.25/5  rDev +12.4%

This beer, though great, is kind of a compromise beer for me. It's got 0.4 more % ABV than my favorite strong ale, Devil's Backbone, but its flavor is less distinct and it's significantly heavier feeling. I am a gigantic fan of Sierra Nevada's Torpedo, and honestly, this beer just pales in comparison. I don't feel obliged to heave a large sigh after each sip, because the flavor is just....well, less remarkable.

That't not to say that the flavor isn't excellent. I don't have a bottle at the moment but I recall a very thick, borderline smoothie-like consistency with very hoppy flavor, vanilla overtones, and hints of chocolate. For 9 bucks a six pack at the gas station it's a great buy considering that a single beer i equivalent to two regular 4.25% ABV drinks of the same size. Discovered this one when I bought the "New Belgium Folly" 12 Pack; to be perfectly honest it's not highly distinguishable from Ranger and the other IPA's offered by New Belgium. But if you like hops and IPA's in general, you will not likely find this beer offensive. Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA is the only beer I've tried yet that exceeds Rampant's ABV, and I much prefer Rampant. It goes down far smoother and is less obvious in its alcohol content. While I wish the hops flavor was stronger/more distinguished, this is one of the key brews on my roster.

Good price, great taste, and **outstanding** ABV for the flavor. When I need to save a couple bucks or I want to really get fucked up off a single six pack, this is my first choice. New Belgium produces high quality brews across the board and this one is a star. My only reservation is that we've got em beat here in Texas. And Cali. Definitely recommended.

4.28/5  rDev +13.2%

4.25/5  rDev +12.4%

Nice n hoppy, not outrageous. Great value!

Rampant Imperial IPA from New Belgium Brewing