Hop Kitchen - Hoppy Bock Lager | New Belgium Brewing

newbelgium.com

Style: Maibock / Helles Bock

Added by JohnGalt1 on 02-26-2013

3.31/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pale golden hued with fantastic clarity. A fingernail of white foam perches on the top of this beer. Aroma is a bit faint, but I get some spicey aromatic hops and a bit of caramel malt. The flavor is pretty hop forward and are a bit spicey,earthy, and bitter. The mouthfeel is pretty brisk and refreshing, but the hop flavor and the malts seem a bit off balance. I guess I should have known "hoppy" and "bock" don't tend to be mentioned together.

3.36/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Honestly, not much special to look at, like most lagers. Clear, straw-colored sameness. With a quickly dissipating head. However, there is lacing... Lacing? On a lager?

Smell: Kind of an astringent smell not unlike a lot of lesser adjunct beers.

Taste: Thankfully, a lot more full than the smell. It has a hop bite I've never gotten from any "lager" before. It's like Budweiser, but without rice, smoother, and with hops included.

Mouthfeel: Very good, medium-light viscosity.

Overall: This is a step above most lagers I've tried. I've been put off of the genre by so many clones of clones of mediocre brews, yet I do realize that this style isn't exactly cut and dry "lager." Maybe all is not lost with regards to this style. (Yes, I'm biased.)

3.54/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance- Pours a dark gold with a good size head that recedes to a foam on top. Lots of lacing.

Smell- Fresh baked bread and sweet malts. Just a slight floral hop presence.

Taste- Good balance of sweet and bitterness. Hints of pine and grapefruit with a pale malt backbone.

Mouthfeel- A bit thin with moderate carbonation.

Overall- Very sessionable, light. Good balanced taste. Not overly complex, but still pretty good.

4.41/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My beer got a little messed up. It was frozen and thawed fast under warm water. This might have something to do with the low clarity - I'm going to give it a pass on that count. It's golden with a white head. Looks like beer, and beer looks good.

I get a bit of grapefruit in the aroma, but where I really get grapefruit is when the beer is in the mouth. None of the hops used, listed on the NB website, are particularly known for grapefruit aroma,to my knowledge, but I get it in flavor, and the sweetness of the bock malts make it seem like grapefruit juice cocktail. I hate the way lagers don't get good reviews on BA - this is a REALLY interesting lager. I like the taste a lot. Sweetness on the front of the mouth, dry in the finish, making me want another sip

The beer is soft and slightly oily in the mouth - pretty interesting. on that count, too.

Overall, I'd say the malt profile comes off like a maibock and the hop profile comes across like an American pale ale. Whatever you want to call it, I am happy to drink it.

PS: The chill haze cleared up fine.

3.08/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

bought the 22 oz bomber at Market street today:
poured into my goblet:

A - bright yellow - extra clear! nice show on the 2+ finger head. settles to super sticky, all time great lacing

S - very understated on the hops, almost "dry" to the nose - honestly a disappointment here
a bit of a cardboard note

T: yes a bit more hops here but far from impressive - I would have hoped for much more from new Belgium (the hops does make a bit of a return on the aftertaste

M - very nice to the mouth - good body and very gentle ABV bite

D - ultra drinkable due to the watery flavor. guzzling time

3.71/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle
A - golden with a frothy off-white head, excellent head retention, crazy-thick lacing down the glass
S - spicy, yeast, biscuit, fruit, grassy hop
T - spicy again, Hallatau hop, grass, biscuit, fruit, faint honey, nice clean finish with some nutty yeast; sweet but the hops help to balance it out more than the usual bock, which I like.
M - creamy, smooth, pleasant carbonation
O - I really liked this one, but the Hallertau hops are at threshold. Any more, and the beer goes downhill from there. I thought this was well crafted, and for $2.99 I might get it again.

3.1/5  rDev -14.4%

Bottle poured into tulip shaped glass

Appearance: pale golden light amber with a thin solid head. Leaves a good circular lacing around the glass.

Smell: rye, hops, wheat

Taste: sweet malty, not bitter but I can get a sense of hops in the beverage. I can also get a sense of some sweet fruits. Not bad for a lager.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied with moderate carbonation

Overall: This is a great lager. This is probably my favorite lager I've had since I can get a since of hops, but this is not my style of beer. I just got it because it was pretty cheap, well worth the money.

Hop Kitchen - Hoppy Bock Lager from New Belgium Brewing