Blue Paddle Pilsener | New Belgium Brewing

Ratings: 1,364 |  Reviews: 428
3.25/5  rDev -7.9%

3.64/5  rDev +3.1%

2.75/5  rDev -22.1%

A pretty average pilsner. I’d say sub-par for New Belgium. Refreshing and drinkable on a hot summer afternoon, but pretty low on flavor and/or character.

3.52/5  rDev -0.3%

2.6/5  rDev -26.3%

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

The light hop scared my bud drinking relatives. I think it is a nice lawn mower beer.

3.8/5  rDev +7.6%

4.3/5  rDev +21.8%

3.25/5  rDev -7.9%

4.5/5  rDev +27.5%

This is a crisp, dry, refreshing brew -the way pilsner ought to be - particularly nice for summer, but I'd drink it year-round.

3.4/5  rDev -3.7%

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

My utmost thanks to my frequent, local, in-person trader, tone77, for dropping off this CAN for me! I dropped it, causing a major dent, which is why it has been in chill mode until now.

From the CAN: "Employee Owned'.

The Crack! was made difficult by the dent and really, I was lucky it did not explode on impact. A bottle would surely have shattered from that height. Speaking of height, it also made it impossible to tell just how full the CAN actually was. I gave it an inverted Glug to get things started and for the first time in a long, long time, I got some overfoaming! The result was two-plus fingers of dense, rocky, bone-white head with excellent retention. Color was Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 - 5) with NE-plus quality clarity. I could see into the future! I have company coming by later. Nose had a grassy, Saaz/Noble hops presence. My mouth began to water. In the meantime, lacing had begun to appear as the head subsided. Mouthfeel was soft, not thin, not watery, but simply soft. I was really digging the way that the hops were first and foremost, which is the hallmark of the Czech Pils style. I CAN get behind German Pilseners, but they do not trip my trigger like a good Czech. Pils, I mean, although I dig Czech women, also. The grassy bitterness is such a treat and this style is what made me realize that I CAN enjoy lagers as a hophead, especially after so many CANned AALs. Finish was semi-dry, not quite as biting as some that I have had in the style. At 4.8%, definitely sessionable and perfect for the Summer cooler in the backyard.

Blue Paddle Pilsener from New Belgium Brewing