Blue Paddle Pilsener | New Belgium Brewing

Style: Czech Pilsener

Added by kbub6f on 07-18-2001

Ratings: 1,360 |  Reviews: 428

2.52/5  rDev -29.8%

Served in a bottle poured in a pint glass.

A- Very transparent yellow color with about two+ finger width's of head.

S- Very light hop and malt scents. Very close to not really having that much of a scent, but there is a slight presence of both in the aroma. Also has somewhat of a yeast-like scent.

T- If there is one thing I can say for certain about the taste it's that it is a little sweet. Wouldn't really say that is too malty or hoppy. Sort of a bland yeast like taste.

M- Bland flavor makes it a smooth beer. Definitely not too bitter or malty.

D- It's fairly drinkable, but a little too bland for me.

Overall it's too bland of a beer for me.

2.56/5  rDev -28.7%

This beer pours golden with a half finger of white head. Visually, the beer looks highly carbonated as I can see bubbles rising. The only thing I can smell is yeast. The taste is rather disappointing. It tastes like a standard pilsener, which I wouldn't expect from New Belgium. I only get light to moderate hop and slight yeast flavors. It does differ from a standard pilsener though because it is not incredibly thin feeling. It isn't full bodied, but it isn't Budweiser either. The drinkability on this is pretty low. I really wasn't that impressed.

2.57/5  rDev -28.4%

Appearance: Golden, with a white head and lace that clung to the glass. Also noticed some carbonation (bubbles).
Smell: Slightly hoppy with floral notes, nothing over powering, which I think is good.
Taste: Noticeable hops, no dominant flavor profile.
Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied and carbonated, and crisp.
Drinkability: Its o.k., but for some reason I thought to myself, I'd rather have a Bud.

Final Thoughts: IMO, just an average beer. The most disappointing product I have had from New Belgium thus far.

2.57/5  rDev -28.4%

2.59/5  rDev -27.9%

Wow, what a thick moussy head. Two fingers worth that could nearly form peaks like beat egg whites. I could see the texture of the beer swirling and convecting within my icy glass.

I didn't smell the usual hoppiness, nor did I taste it, until the very last sip. What a light beer. The smokiness left on the palate was characteristically New Belgium, but the pilsener itself is rather atypical. Perhaps this is a ploy to get "big 3" drinkers interested in beer.

I could have easily chugged several glasses, but it didn't quite hit the spot.

2.6/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I had this on draught today at New Belgium's brewery in Fort Collins, CO.
Appearnce: This pours clear yellow with a white head.
Aroma: there is a grassy, hoppy aroma that I detected
Flavor: It had a very dry, flat flavor. OK, I didn't like it that much. I guess I'm not a big pilsener fan. I'd advise sticking w/ their Belgian styles

2.6/5  rDev -27.6%

2.64/5  rDev -26.5%

12oz bottle into pilsner glass, best by Jan 5, 2007.

Appearance was the only good part of this beer. Crystal clear straw yellow with a well presented head and strong lacing. Off-white, settles to a thin cap. Good lacing all the way down the glass.

Faint glass smell consiting of noble hops and malts. Very low hop smell for a pilsner.

Hop bitterness can be felt more than tasted. Allows room the for the light bread-like malty flavors to appear.

Light bodied with high carbonation and a slightly dry finish from the light hop flavor. Slightly disapointing, as I expected more hop character out of this. The dry finish with low hop flavor lowers the drinkability.

2.68/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.71/5  rDev -24.5%

Splurged on almost two full cases of mixed New Belgium beer on my vacation to Arkansas. Bought this, sunshine, skinny dip, La Folie, 1554, the Abbey, and Tripel. Thats all they had at the stores in my local Arkie area.

I've never seen a thick consistent head on any other pilsner before. Great bubbling and thick lacing to boot. The best looking pilsner I've had up to this point. But the smell didn't match the pleasant sight. Pretty musky for what was expected to be a well crafted New Belgium brew. No clean or crisp definition of the malts or hops. The flavor was slightly better than your Miller or Bud. Drinakable. Yet not what you expected from a brewery.

2.73/5  rDev -24%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Look: great clarity, yellow color (darker than most German pilsners I've had), foamy thick head

Aroma: fresh bread, biscuity aromas, earthiness,

Taste: pretty standard taste, but heavier on the malt side than most German pilsners I've had, no real bite to the finish that I was hoping for, tastes like fresh bread, not enough bitterness on the finish or enough carbonation

Mouthfeel: a little flat, medium light body

Overall: not a great example of a good German Pilsner I think. Too malty, not enough carbonation, and not enough hop bitterness to balance the finish. Good for a cookout because you can get it for cheap and anywhere in the US, but this one won't impress too many guests.

2.73/5  rDev -24%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

1/21/16 Washington DC (16 oz draft pour into standard pint glass). Blonde pour, nominal white head and carbonation. No aroma, somewhat sweet hop taste, nice and easy going down. Overall OK offering.

Blue Paddle Pilsener from New Belgium Brewing