Blue Paddle Pilsener | New Belgium Brewing

Added by kbub6f on 07-18-2001

Ratings: 1,359 |  Reviews: 428
3.25/5  rDev -9.5%

3.78/5  rDev +5.3%

Blue Paddle pours an attractive golden color with a large, thick head. Head retention is excellent, lacings are left all along the inside of my glass. Smell is what you'd expect from a pils, mildly hoppy with some grassiness. This is quite tasty, very crisp and refreshing. Slightly sweet lemon finish is very enjoyable. Drinkability is very high, I could easily see myself spending an afternoon with Blue Paddle.

3.08/5  rDev -14.2%

I've had this on tap & bottle before & it was better, but this is the time I decided to review..

Golden body with good clarity and a thick white head that drops off to 1/4". Bubbles float up fromthe bottom all the way through the sample, not much lacing.

Smell: Slight floral and alcohol smell

Taste: Maltiness and a little bit of piney hops on the tounge.

Well balanced and good carbonation (need more body)

Like I stated, had better samples, just bothers me that a beer within 200 miles of home with great distribution is not consistent.

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

This bottle reminds me why I like New Belgium's packaging so much. The label is very nicely done with a colorful drawing of a canoe on a lake shore and the bottle shows off the brewery's distinctive, raised, embossed neck collar.

Bright yellow-amber with a miniscule number of fine particles swirling around in the beer. The head is a shade or two darker than bright white and is nicely stiff and sticky. It's falling slowly at the edges and is beginning to leave a good bit of lace. The nose is actually quite pleasant. It has the usual noble hop pungency and smells of lemon peel and sweet grass.

The flavor isn't quite as impressive as the nose, but it isn't bad. There's plenty of lightly toasted malt, equaled and perhaps even exceeded by the sharp bitterness of the hops. There are elements of grain and grass, while the lemoniness seems to be missing on the palate. The finish is dry and crisp with a gentle, lingering bitterness. The body is 'pils average', that is, it's neither thin nor full, and is lively thanks to the generous carbonation.

Blue Paddle Pilsner is another quality product from New Belgium. It's difficult to brew a noble hop lager that I really enjoy, but this one comes close to getting a big thumbs up from me. I have no problem recommending it since it's one of the better domestic pilseners that I've run across.

3.88/5  rDev +8.1%

I had not tried this one before, so last night when I was out for dinner, decided to try a bottle of it. The pour was rather standard for the style. Very nice clarity with a nice golden amber color to it. Lots of carbonation streaking toward the surface throughout the entire session. A very nice three inch high head of white foamy and fizzy lace formed on the top and hung around for a few moments before finally settling down to just a thin film across the top that lasted until the end.

The aroma was loaded down with cereal grains and a touch of light fruity yeast. The aroma of banana clearly evident as was a nice fresh grass like hoppy nose. The flavor followed right along with it, being very light in profile and feel and very highly carbonated. List grain flavors dominated with a nice earthy feel. Hints of banana and fresh grass running through it as well, with a very nice light, refreshing taste. The finish was quick, crisp, and very clean, leaving virtually no aftertaste, but leaving you looking for more.

Overall not a bad pilsner at all. Nothing really earth shattering here, but still a very solid effort. I would most certainly not turn this one down if offered it again, especially with the warm weather approaching.

3.67/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

My utmost thanks to my frequent, local, in-person trader, tone77, for dropping off this CAN for me! I dropped it, causing a major dent, which is why it has been in chill mode until now.

From the CAN: "Employee Owned'.

The Crack! was made difficult by the dent and really, I was lucky it did not explode on impact. A bottle would surely have shattered from that height. Speaking of height, it also made it impossible to tell just how full the CAN actually was. I gave it an inverted Glug to get things started and for the first time in a long, long time, I got some overfoaming! The result was two-plus fingers of dense, rocky, bone-white head with excellent retention. Color was Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 - 5) with NE-plus quality clarity. I could see into the future! I have company coming by later. Nose had a grassy, Saaz/Noble hops presence. My mouth began to water. In the meantime, lacing had begun to appear as the head subsided. Mouthfeel was soft, not thin, not watery, but simply soft. I was really digging the way that the hops were first and foremost, which is the hallmark of the Czech Pils style. I CAN get behind German Pilseners, but they do not trip my trigger like a good Czech. Pils, I mean, although I dig Czech women, also. The grassy bitterness is such a treat and this style is what made me realize that I CAN enjoy lagers as a hophead, especially after so many CANned AALs. Finish was semi-dry, not quite as biting as some that I have had in the style. At 4.8%, definitely sessionable and perfect for the Summer cooler in the backyard.

3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

On-tap at New Belgium Hub in the Denver Airport

A: The beer pours a clear golden color with a finger of white head.

S: The aroma starts off with sweet corn and pale malts. There is a hint of perfumey citrus peel and a light floral hop character as well. A bit of lager yeast and some light fruity esters.

S: Moderately sweet with some corn, pale malts, and a bit of grain husk. A light bitterness to it, too. A light ester character, mostly apples. Floral hops and a mild citrus peel flavor on the finish.

M: Light in body with medium carbonation.

O: Though rather simple, the flavors were pleasant and the beer was easy to drink.

2.5/5  rDev -30.4%

3.83/5  rDev +6.7%

Served in a Gale Sayers shaker pint glass.

I prefer my paddles to be yellow or without color. This clearly inferior blue model pours a clear pale straw topped by nearly a finger of white froth. The nose comprises wheat, grass, and flowers. Quite mild. The taste adds more flowers, a touch of orange peel, and a few drops of mandarin orange juice near the finish line. The body is pretty light, with a moderate carbonation and a crisp, dry finish. Overall, a very nice pils, one of the better American versions I've come across in a while.

3.8/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours out clear like any other pilsner. Clear with a golden hue. The aroma of the noble hops emerges out as the most pungent aroma. This beer goes down smooth and the clears. There is only a light and slight bitternes to this beer. Very good american interpurtation of a Czech Pilsner where most american craft beers are going for fruitful beers.

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

Appearance: Slightly hazed golden straw color with a nice fluffy white head forming leaves behind speckled lacing in concentric patterns at that. Aroma: Upfront nice biscuit malts with some Saaz peeking through giving a nice peppery hop profile very clean altogether. Taste: Incredibly crisp and smooth no cloying off flavors delivers light malt sweetness and finishing hop zest in the finish. Mouthfeel: Light bodied smooth but a bit spritzy carbonation. Drinkability: Is excellent awesome summer beer I wish I had this one at my disposal, that would be key.

3.25/5  rDev -9.5%

3.41/5  rDev -5%

Pours a crystal clear gold. Head goes about one finger and falls fairly quickly and leaves a lot of lacing on the way. As far as appearances go, it'd be a good beer to shoot pictures of. Mouth-feel is thick and frothy when you first down it and as you keep going it lingers for a bit and leaves a lasting impact on the palate. Overall I'd say this is a decent brew, but not powerfully done.

3.83/5  rDev +6.7%

Thanks to bitterbill for this one!

Poured into pils glass

Pours golden with a nice rich white head that leaves rings of lacing down the glass.

The smell is of grainy notes with grassy noble-hop spicing.

The taste is of sweet grain with a subtle bitter, slightly metallic, spiciness that leads to a dry finish. Mild but pleasant overall.

It has a clean, crisp light body.

A refreshing pils!

3.71/5  rDev +3.3%

A- Aggressive pour leads to a two inch white head. Beer is a medium pale color with a few streams of effervescence. Well above average head retention and lacing.

S- Bready, grass characteristics.

T- Follows the nose, with a "burnt" quality. Sharp noble hop bitterness overpowers the short-lived sweet pils malt.

M- Mouthfeel is medium with good carbonation.

D/O- I've had better of the style, though I've certainly had worse. This is a good candidate for some with decent flavor that you could drink a lot of.

Blue Paddle Pilsener from New Belgium Brewing