Lips Of Faith - Coconut Curry Hefeweizen | New Belgium Brewing

good
Read the review
Lips Of Faith - Coconut Curry HefeweizenLips Of Faith - Coconut Curry Hefeweizen

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States
newbelgium.com

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

Added by JohnGalt1 on 08-09-2013

3.63/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a tall hefe glass on 9/24/13. My bottle was bottled in June 2013. I dont like for my wheat beers to sit this long, but ce la vie.

A: Pours a golden straw color. A healthy 1/2-inch head lingers about 2 minutes after the pour. The beer is very hazy - visible sediment floats around in the glass. Not uncommon for a wheat beer. Lacing is moderate.

S: Coconut dominates the nose - smells almost like a Pina Colada. The curry spices take more of a background in the nose. Pineapple, lemon, and green apple round out the nose. No grassy or hoppy notes are detectable whatsoever.

T & M: Lemon and coconut fruitness hit you hard in the beginning. But then the curry spices really come on strong mid-sip. Wow - a mid-tongue paprika-like spiciness and lingers on the tongue. A bit too coconut sweet for my taste. Mouthfeel is lacking for a wheat beer - it's much drier and doesn't linger on the tongue as well as a wheat beer should.

O: I actually liked this beer. It screams "porch drinker." It's very tropical - light and refreshing. A bit too sweet for my taste, but I think that's part of the appeal of this beer. It won't win any GABF awards but I think NB accomplished what they set out to do.

2.25/5  rDev -36.6%

4.25/5  rDev +19.7%

2.58/5  rDev -27.3%

The best thing I can say about this beer is that it gets better as you drink it. What seems like a kick in the palate at first mellows out as you drink, provided that you drink VERY, very slowly. Still, it seems throughout the experience that there are spices in there that don't need to be there. I'm talking about cloves. Also, possibly nutmeg and cinnamon? I'm not entirely sure what ridiculous blend of spices is supposed to be "curry" but it is not what I wanted. It tasted like it could be really pleasant if it weren't for all these damn cloves and some other stuff making it taste like somebody dropped a big pile of Christmas into what WAS a "coconut curry" flavoured beer. It just doesn't seem to belong. When I saw coconut-curry, I was thinking "fuck yeah, a beer that sort of tastes like peshwari naan? That would be awesome." But it wasn't anything like that. Cloves? The hell? Don't pour your Christmas spices all over my coconut curry! Too much going on here for me to keep track of. And it's a huge problem.

4.12/5  rDev +16.1%

Pours traditional hefeweizen: a hazy orange with a thick but quickly dissipating head. Tons of free floating yeast, oddly, since I was under the impression New Belgium pasteurized. Not a bad thing, but worth noting.

Absolutely lovely aroma. Just beautiful. Hefe front but tons of cococnut and curry powder on the back end. It ain’t traditional curry but still. I’ve had a lot of weird beers and this actually smells enticing.

Hefe yeast comes through strong in the taste. Amazingly strong, actually, but very much tempered by the spicing. This tastes almost like a mulled beer, and as it warms it gets better. The curry taste is absolutely fantastic, with hints of cinnamon and a blast of coconut on the back end. This is way more than I expected.

Mouthfeel is pretty good. Somewhat dry at first, but the spicing lays around the gums and tongue and makes you want another sip. Way too easy to drink for 8% but not in a bad way.

Overall a pretty amazing beer that way, way surpassed expectations. The only reason I’d hesitate to buy again is the price point, but otherwise, amazed me.

4.04/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Pint glass, head came and went with minimal lace. Aroma held sweetness and spice and maybe a hint of citrus, the taste is where this beer shines! With the first sip coconut hits the roof of the mouth and curry follows on the tongue with a nice Hefeweizen holding it all together, solid and not overpowering but instead has you looking for the next sip of such a interesting flavor combo for beer. Overall if you drink with a open mind and enjoy trying everything you should be very pleased, I know I was!

2.68/5  rDev -24.5%

A: Extremely hazy golden colored body, very characteristic of a Hefeweizen. Uncharacteristicly small head and poor head retention. There's a lot of little white floaters in here. I'm unsure if it's yeast or coconut bits but they're all over the place.

S: Not much on the nose. There's a hint of spice, it's an earthy curry scent. I can't really put my finger on it, it's like a honeydew scent mixed with parsley or something.

T: I pick up what might be coconut, it's a toasty flavor so I'm guessing that's the coconut. It's not like eating a coconut doughnut or anything, but there's the back-toasted flavor. I get the curry in there, but it's not a strong hot curry, it's a mellow earthy flavor. It's not bad but there isn't much of the beer coming through. For a Hefe, I'd love to get some of that wheat flavor in there. It's far too clean tasting and mostly the curry comes out.

M: The mouthfeel isn't really thick enough and it's way under-carbonated. I'm barely even seeing any bubbles in here.

O: Overall this wasn't a win in my eyes. I didn't get much coconut, the curry tasted good but there wasn't any real beer to back it up. It was way under-carbonated which killed the enjoyment for me. I love those big bubbly Hefe's with a strong white head. I wouldn't really recommend it.

3.41/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Nice to see New Belgium continue to be adventurous with their Lips of Faith series. Curiosity forced my hand on this one, and I came into it with lower expectations. I think the flavors actually worked well together and complemented the hefeweizen style. Coconut came out the strongest to me, both in aroma and taste, but I got some galangal notes in there as well. Sweet but not cloying. Didn't have the foresight to pair it with Indian cuisine, but I imagine it would have worked quite well.

1.81/5  rDev -49%

Hazy dark gold with an off white head which fades quickly leaving little lacing. The aroma has coconut, curry, and some wheat. Even though the aroma delivers what the bottle advertises, I'm not sure this is a good combination.

The taste has coconut, curry, and there is a light amount of wheat. The taste is what is promised on the bottle, but it does not seem to work very well. Maybe the problem is adding coconut and curry to a hefeweizen? Another style of beer might have been a better choice. Too bad this doesn't work, because I like coconut and curry, but they aren't working here.

Medium bodied with average carbonation. Not to my liking unfortunately, I won't be buying this again.

4.39/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

a- nice foggy unfiltered hefe

S- Look I know it doesn't smell like grapefruit or chocolate...It is not supposed to. One of the most interesting noses

T- Its almost parallel to what it says, bananas, coconut, and some spice

M- a little thick but coconut and 8% what would you expect

O- I heard about bad bottles, this was not one. I think a lot of the bad ratings are due to hop heads and beer geek purists. I thought this beer was balanced and fun. Probably wont age well with the coconut, however on this date it was surprise and a great treat.

4.25/5  rDev +19.7%