Lips Of Faith - Coconut Curry Hefeweizen | New Belgium Brewing

good
Read the review
Lips Of Faith - Coconut Curry HefeweizenLips Of Faith - Coconut Curry Hefeweizen

New Belgium Brewing
Colorado, United States
newbelgium.com

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

Added by JohnGalt1 on 08-09-2013

3.75/5  rDev +5.6%

3.57/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 650 ml bottle into a 50 cl weizen.

A: Hazy golden hue. Pours a 3 finger, bubbly, white head. Disintegrates, leaving dry residue, and desecrated bubbles behind. Dry spider web lacing.

S: As the name implies... coconut, curry, ginger, and nutmeg. Comes across as a little synthetic. Just an unusual combination, I guess.

T: Wheaty with sweet hints of coconut and ginger, and a little spice from the curry. None as strong as the nose gives off.... which is good. Well-balanced.

M: Light body. The spice notes infiltrate the nasal cavity as you tip it back. Leaves kind of an odd bitter, spicy finish, ultimately.

D: Sip and savor.

Atmosphere is really nice. Opaque, giant head, and some pervasive dry lacing. Nose consists of strong presence of its namesake components; coconut and curry, accentuated with some ginger and fall spice. Wheaty with well-balanced subtle infusions of its flavor components. Overall, this is a good quaff.

4.5/5  rDev +26.8%

3.53/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance is a cloudy golden color with a white head that fades fast.
Smell is curry spice, light coconut, esters and some black pepper.
Taste Spicy sweet malt with the curry standing at the forefront. Coconut is there with some pepper. The hefewiezen does make an appearance with some banana and light cloves but the curry stands above the rest. Eating something salty helped reduce the curry and pull some of the beer flavor out.

2.97/5  rDev -16.3%

22 oz bottle poured into a New Belgium globe.
8% ABV,

A - Chunky eggshell colored lace clutches the glass following the dense head's departure, sinking into the hazed apricot orange beer.

S - Curry by itself isn't bad, but when it's the focal point of a beer's aroma, not only does it become incredibly off-putting to me, but it completely blankets everything else this beer might have to offer. I smell no characteristic of a Hefeweizen, especially an 8% ABV one for that matter. In fact, i smell nothing but curry. It's like a trip down memory lane to my wife-then-girlfriend's condo with Indian neighbors who stunk up the whole floor.

T - After the offensive aroma, the taste takes a considerable step back and allows more than curry through, like some actual beer flavor! Pale malt offers notes of sweetness and graininess as well, transitioning into suggestions of banana and clove, but the likeness of a Hefeweizen is certainly not here when this beer finishes with a blend of spices, most notably curry. Coconut shavings are sprinkled on top, almost like an afterthought.

M - When the beer's huge amount of spice is considered, it's amazing how little it plays through into the feel, really landing at a tame, balanced dry finish that works wonderfully with the smooth, medium body and lingering touch of sweetness.

O - On one hand I truly enjoy the experimental and unique nature of the Lips of Faith series of beers but, on the other, I simply can't get on board with a beer that completely decimates its base style with obscene amounts of spice (thou I'm mainly referring to the aroma which is nothing but curry). I was intrigued and excited by this beer as I always will be by Lips brews but in the end Coconut Curry Hefeweizen doesn't do a thing for me.

2.5/5  rDev -29.6%

4.16/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Really happy to see another round of bizarre Lips Of Faith from New Belgium. They really stepped out of the box it seemed when I saw this bottle.

The hefe pours out a rich hazy, gold with a hint of amber/orange. The head flairs a bit and is slightly off white and bumpy. It settles down into this strange spotty fuzz that for some reason reminds me of a moldy surface of a fruit.

And... what is this? It appears I have a coconut shaving in my beer... maybe a few. Interesting... Unfiltered glory!

(Really, I found a few shavings...)

The smell is robust. You definitely get a great deal of intermingling between the coconut and the curry. Both are very prominent. There is a lot of pineapple going on with it and some earthy pepper. It smells fairly sweet. In the background you catch a hint of the banana-y hefe. Kind of a dirty scent as well, but not off-putting. It has all the hallmarks of walking into an Indian restaurant. The robust pungency is a bit in your face. Which can be good and bad at times.

Taste... wow, I knew the smell had this beer all wrapped up but I just can't believe to some degree that this was pulled off in a manner that actually comes together and works pretty well. The coconut and curry is right up there, blaring. You get a hint of cayenne pepper toward the end and a bouquet of banana, pineapple, clove, maybe a touch of licorice, and a rich and sweet hefe. The hefe comes through pretty well among the boisterous flavors and competition.

Mouthfeel is pretty wonderful. A creamy, medium to heavy body. The carbonation is very complimentary and the alcohol gives a nice warmth to the mouth that flows evenly with the warmth of the cayenne and curry. Not what I might consider refreshing, but weighing in at 8%ABV, this is a great body for such a hefe.

Overall, pretty aggressive. Aggressive keeps coming to mind. It really drives it home and lets you know what it has in store for you. A part of me likes it, a part of me kind of wants another. But at the same time, I have a hard time picturing myself 'in the mood' to drink this kind of thing. Even if I were dying for Indian food, I just don't know. It was quite well accomplished though, it wasn't gross whatsoever and it was interesting and pretty easy to drink all the way through. I can't think of how you could makes such a strange thing better, but at the same time I am left with the same crushing thought of, "When might I want to drink this again?" Maybe a camping trip in the spring?

Ah! Great job to New Belgium for pulling it off! It was good overall.

4.32/5  rDev +21.7%

I was soooo excited when I saw our store had gotten this one in, im sure I will be as disappointed with one as I have with most of "experimental" beers I have tried lately... but I hope not, Indian cuisine is one of my favs only proceeded by thai!

a: extremely cloudy!! its easy to see this is a true UNFILTERED hefe styl, I think I even saw some rather large chunks/floaties in the bottle. color is a almost glowing apricot color with a quickly dissipating foamy white head, which under lies some noticeabley sized goobers which I would guess to be curry perhaps?

s: not getting much coconut here, the curry aromas are there though, not getting any hop aromas and getting a bunch of wheat.

t: whoa!! I can't believe it!! this is great!! I thought for sure this was going to be a bomb! the coconut is very faint and in the background, not the focus at all, at least not in this bottle. You really get punched in the face with the curry though!! I LOVE curry. "Curry! Curry!!" I;m also tasting very significantly what reminds me of a giant bowl of steamy white sticky rice!? maybe this was brewed with rice and wheat, idk but whatever it is its great. I could go for some indian and or thai to go with this RIGHT NOW! The crazy thing about this beer is that its totally a hefewiezen, the wheat is there all the way but not too strong, it also leaves a warming sensation in your stomach!

o.v. Its for the times and experiences like this that I love beer so much, this one caught my completely by surprise and I love that. if you like hefewiezens, curry and or coconut TRY THIS! I did drink this abnormally cold for an ale, and it didn't seem as good as it warmed which is uncharacteristic for an ale.

1.5/5  rDev -57.7%

2.75/5  rDev -22.5%

1.75/5  rDev -50.7%

4.08/5  rDev +14.9%

Bottle

Appearance - Classic light gold, cloudy Hefeweizen. very thin white head.

Aroma - Banana, and clove are there but they're quite muted. I get a bit of sweet banana nut bread, and maybe even a bit of curry.

Taste - Banana nut bread, sweet coconut, and a slight bite of curry / cayenne on the back end. This is incredibly refreshing.

Mouthfeel - Thick, chewy, and a bit under carbonated.

Overall - I don't see why people are rating this negatively (especially if they're not fans of curry... or indian cuisine) the beer is amazing for the style they're going for. Well done! I hope to one day see NB age this in a barrel of some sort... maybe "new oak" or even tequila.

1.26/5  rDev -64.5%

I love experimental beers--I even liked the BEET BEER New Belgium served on tap at the brewery awhile back. Now, with the beet beer, a pint is about all you can handle and all that you need to really appreciate and bask in the weirdness. It's great to try, smile and nod, and know that you're enjoying something truly unique--and, doggonit, good for New Belgium for thinking outside the box. I'd drink that beet beer by the barrel-full before ever having even a sip of this "Coconut Curry" tragedy again.

For starters, the appearance is gross. Flat-out gross. There are chunks of who-knows-what (coconut? lime? plastic? disease?) bobbing at the top and floating all around the glass. Initially the chunks were trying to hide in a foamy, white head, but as that quickly dissipated, there they are, staring at me. There's so much of whatever it is floating around in there, I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to scrub out my glass when done. And the mystery floaters certainly don't look anything like any coconut I've ever seen. The beer, itself, is opaque and the color of dehydration urine.

I don't know if the bottle I got was infected but it smells like melting plastic mixed with a very faint, artificial car-freshener coconut smell. I don't smell curry or anything resembling spices you can buy anywhere, not even the most obscure spice market. It makes me want to gag--this is definitely the first beer I've ever had this experience with. I could use a lot of words to describe the aroma but magnificent is not one of them. If you blindfolded me and told me to smell and drink this, I would tell you to go jump off a bridge.

Just like the smell, it tastes like melting plastic. It doesn't taste anything like a hefeweizen. It doesn't taste like coconut or curry or spice. Melting plastic. As it warms, it only gets worse and I only get more and more sad that I'm giving it so many chances to convince me that it's even a mediocre beer. It leaves an aftertaste that makes me want to sandpaper my tongue and plug my nose with a clothespin until I get the chance to brush my teeth and gargle with gasoline.

The mouthfeel is awful. If it weren't for the chunks, it may have been the only tolerable thing about this beer.

In closing, I'm not joking: there is something majorly wrong with this beer. If a really bad homebrewer was to take a filthy, sweat-soaked sock that he's been wearing for three weeks and threw it into his carboy along with a handful of dirt and a chunk of coconut air-freshener, mid-fermentation, and the carboy had never been sealed from outside air and he didn't even know anything about soap and sanitizing, I imagine that his end-result would be a better beer. I don't drain-pour often, but see ya later.

3.75/5  rDev +5.6%