Accumulation | New Belgium Brewing

Colorado, United States
newbelgium.com

Style: Belgian IPA

Availability: Fall

This winter, IBUs start accumulating like snow in Colorado with our new Accumulation White IPA. Brewing a white IPA was not only a way to salute the white beauty falling from the sky, but a direct revolt to the longstanding tradition of brewing dark beers for winter. At least that’s what our rebellious brewer Grady Hull likes to claim as he shovels in plenty of new hop varietals and a bit of wheat for a smooth mouthfeel. Stack up a few cases of Accumulation White IPA to keep your long nights glowing blizzard white.

Added by ChrisCBeets on 09-23-2013

12%

Ratings: 1,979 |  Reviews: 298
2.44/5  rDev -34.9%

2.45/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bottle straight into a wide-bodied goblet. Pale straw (2) with a two-finger, fluffy white head with a lot of staying power and significant lacing. Nose is very light with big hints of pineapple, funky yeast, and light sweet malt. Taste is very bready, which seems to be a tendency with several New Belgium brews, and, it’s worth admitting, is not a flavor profile I enjoy all that much in my beer. Also present are light grassy hints, very mild lemon citrus, light toasted cereal grains, generic sweetness, and french fries. The hop presence is there in terms of light bittering, but not in any larger sense of flavor. Finish is mildly bitter, toasted wheat, and subtle sweet citrus. Mouthfeel is light and somewhat slick with low carbonation. All in all, this just doesn't do much for me, which is about par for the course in terms of how I feel about New Belgium products in general. As a white IPA, I was also expecting a bit more in terms of both a fuller hop presence and some Belgian yeast notes, such as coriander, neither of which is present. As it stands, this reminds me of a clumsy wheat beer and not something I’ll be drinking again anytime soon.

2.5/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not a huge fan. It was OK. Maybe because I like hoppy beers and the Accumulation is not

2.52/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: I poured Accumulation from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, and it is a hazy golden color. Not to put you off, but it did remind me strongly of the color of urine. There is a nice, white, fluffy head that has good retention and leaves strong lacing in the glass.

S: Accumulation has a very weak odor. I get some roasted malt, but I really had to put my nose into the beer.

T: Equals the smell, which is to say, weak. I get a very sour flavor (and, no, the beer isn't skunked) with a dry finish. Not a whole lot going on here.

M: Again, not very pleasant. I found myself craving a glass of water after every sip. I usually love drier beers (stouts and IPAs), but this has an unpleasant dryness to it that lingers.

O: Definitely not my favorite beer from New Belgium (that would still be Fat Tire). I can't say I recommend this seasonal brew. Drink Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale instead.

2.57/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.58/5  rDev -31.2%

I don't remember being impressed

2.6/5  rDev -30.7%

2.63/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

2.63/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

2.65/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a goblet.

A: Clear, pale golden color with less than one finger of diminishing white foam. Heavy lacing remains on the glass.

S: Hops qualities are prominently featured, but not overpowering. Citrus qualities are bright while savory features also develop in the form of onion/garlic notes. Subtle bread requires some straining to detect.

T: Begins almost dry, with pungent green herbaceous hops aromatics and clumsy malt that is doughy and like corn starch. Flavors become thin and seltzery into the middle, like a soft drink cut with water. Bitterness is pure and chemical in the finish, clinging stubbornly to the palate and clearly outdistancing other flavor qualities.

M: Thin viscosity, slightly resinous and acidic on the palate, with brisk carbonation.

D/O: This seasonal offering from New Belgium seems like a rush job, struggling to find any of the Mosaic hops cultivar's wonderful qualities. Amarillo is well-represented, but cannot right the ship all on its own--not in the face of such a fumbled development of malt qualities.

2.72/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Accumulation from New Belgium Brewing