Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Uerige Doppelsticke | Uerige Obergärige Hausbrauerei

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-02-2005

1.32/5  rDev -67.8%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

2.24/5  rDev -45.4%

cool fliptop with purple and silver labels.. bottling date is so faded or poorly printed that its unreadable.

clear red beer with some orange-to-yellow highlights. no head, virtual webby coating on the surface with more density around the edges. aroma is puzzlingly bizarre.. glue, bandaids, and cereal left in the sink overnight. sour malts. weird. excessively malty taste that evokes maple syrup with a hard bitterness.. waxy. pretty hot for 8+% as well. aftertaste leaves a puckering tart bitterness.. taking uerige sticke, a decent beer, and making it way too big for gluttonous american pigs. not sure this experiment is a successful one. had the chance to taste this at a b united event and liked it more then. i have one more bottle and will re-review in a few.. right about now, this is not one of my favorite beers. won't revisit unless this was a fluke.

2.36/5  rDev -42.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Very sweet. Cloying and syrupy. Strange astringent aftertaste. Very unpleasant. Like drinking sweetened cough syrup. Not a beer I'd recommend to anybody

2.44/5  rDev -40.5%

Bottle 06/04, which is either 4-2006 or 6-2004.

Tan silky head and brown color with red tints.

Tart cherries, sweet malt and caramel. A funky aromas makes me wonder. Should this alt bier smell like a Belgian brown ale? I think not, but...

For sure skunked and well past its age. Sour fruit, stale malts and moldy hops.

Good full body with ample carbonation. I found it odd that the beer still has good head and fizz when the taste has gone so bad.

Down the drain we go. I tried to let it warm and open up, but no go. Wow, that tasting was well worth the $5... NOT! I would like to try a fresh bottle as this has potential. Does not age well, but then again, most beers go to shit after a year anyway.

Note: I really need some westy to revive my hope in beer.

2.68/5  rDev -34.6%

Poured from a 33cL bottle into a brandy snifter. Bottled on 10.06. Code 11.05. I'm a little confused, because the bottle of Uerige Sticke I just drank was stamped "Bottled on 04.10." I assumed month/year, but if that is the case, then that would make this beer five and a half years old. I suppose they could have changed reversed the numbers, which would mean this was bottled May 2010.

A: It pours a dark chocolatey brown, opaque and dense, with scattered lacing and virtually no head.

S: The yeast smells musty, with a touch of sweet malt. Not much depth.

T: So strange that I feel there must be something wrong with it...Perfume. It tastes like perfume, which is pretty nasty, but also has some interesting floral notes. But also an astringent alcoholic chemical maintaste, followed by a touch of hops and a splash of fruit on the endtaste. The undercurrent of what I describe as perfume makes this beer damn near undrinkable, but at least it fades quickly.

M: Hard to focus on, so I'll go with average.

O: I don't want to say terrible, but what could have been really cool is absolutely ruined by whatever the hell is going on. I'll put up another bottle in the future, but as it is, stay far, far away.

2.72/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Served at cellar temp from unique brown fliptop bottle into a Boston Lager glass.

Pours a hazy dark brown with very little head. Just a touch of tan bubbles.

Aroma is darkly fruity, malty, with something sharp I can't identify.

Taste is really heavily sweet, underlying flavor isn't bad, there's just too much of it. Reminds me of Samiclaus, which is a 13% beer. Not a clean beer.

Mouthfeel has decent bitterness, but not a "doppel' worth. Maybe no more bitter than a plain alt, hence the imbalance towards sweetness. A little bit of alcohol burn, not welcome in an 8% beer.

Bought it because I like altbiers and thought a "double secret" alt would be even better. Nope, bigger is not better. Some styles don't amp up well, maybe?

2.75/5  rDev -32.9%

2.76/5  rDev -32.7%

It tastes like Victory Ten Years Alt, or rather, Victory Ten Years Alt tastes like this beer.

That isn't a compliment. Terrible, just terrible,

Have you ever done a partial boil while making a homebrew and drank some? Yeah, this tastes like a concentrated wort has mistakenly been fermented. There are strong notes of concord grapes, sticky slick malts, and waaaay too much caramel.

It smells like the terrible, aborted mess that it is.

While I was drinking this beer, I was debating adding water to it. I figure maybe a 1:1 mix with water would make a mighty fine brew. Oh, wait, it does.

A poster child for the Bigger is Not Better movement.

2.77/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Looks like chocolate milk. Very dark hazy brown. Lacing is there but not extremely prominent. Some sediment floating around.

Smells of plums, raisin, and wine with a pungent alcohol smell.

The taste is almost exactly like the smell. Very deep raisin/bread taste. Theres a hint of smokiness as well. The alcohol is there but not overpowering. Mouthfeel is very sticky, slightly carbonated. The taste lingers LONG after you've swallowed.

This beer is a bit hard for me to drink. But, I can't say it's really my style of beer. I can appreciate it for what it is, though. I'd like to try some other beers of this style.

2.79/5  rDev -32%

I drank this from the bottle into a chalice.

The beer pours a medium to dark brown with a very light tan head that rises half an inch is gone within in seconds. The lacing is very light and watery to boot. The beer itself is surprinsgly clear, especially in the light.

The aroma very strong dominated by a toffee note with light hops.

The taste is surprinsingly bitter with a lingering bitter after taste. You don't get much of the sweet malts you get from the aroma so it really confuses the senses and doesn't make for an enjoyable experience

Mouthfeel is heavy and it sticks to your mouth for minutes. Not very drinkable.

2.8/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A-murky brown body with slight yeast sediment and weak beige head. Slight orange hues through light.

S-Deep raw maltiness in the nose. Slight hints of cocoa and vanilla with the slightest hop aroma deep in the background.

T-Sharp acidic chocolate taste right up front followed by a thick maltiness. The finish is bitter and dry with a chalky aftertaste. Under attenuation seems to have added an unwanted sweetness and unbalanced finish. The bittering hops seem out of place.

M-Rough around the edges with a gritty mouthfeel.

D-Not what I was expecting from this beer. Tough to drink and enjoy. The balance is just not their and nothing seems to blend well. A bit disappointing.

2.81/5  rDev -31.5%

Flip-topped into a pint glass. Thick, low translucence, a touch of maroon where the light fights the brown, and a thin cream head that dissipated quickly but left some lacing. Noted that the cloudiness was apparent even in the thin ribbon of beer as it was poured.

I found the smell pointedly unappetizing. There was certainly the backbone of a german malted beer, but something lightly astringent, and certainly metallic came through.

The taste was characterized mostly by an overwhelming sweetness. I should admit I am less privy to the style than I am to the American styles; I understand the style does warrant recognizable sweetness. Since this isn't one of the flavor attributes I usually hope for, I didn't love this one, but precision of the flavor was surprising considering the beer's appearance and viscosity.

Mouthfeel was enjoyable; and energetic and active beer.

Overall, one of the neater bottles I've held, and I was happy to go for a few more experience points in a lesser known style, but I didn't love it. This, certainly, could purely be personal preference.

2.82/5  rDev -31.2%

A: Hazy brown, little head.

S: Sweet, figs, malts, smoky

T: Raisins, too much as a matter of fact. Some bitterness, sweet. Almost too complex, each taste spins my buds a round. No balance.

M: oily coating, little carbonation.

D: Tough to finish the whole bottle. I much prefer the Alt. Doesn't do it for me at all.

2.9/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

The beer is a dark brown color with a lot of floaters in it. The head was very short lived. Smells of caramel, dark fruits, and teriyaki. The beer tastes sweet at first and then is followed by a bitterness and spice. It really tastes like Chinese food. The beer a little chewy I want to say. It feels more like a meal than a beer.

2.97/5  rDev -27.6%

A - Crystal clear auburn brew with a 1.5 finger light tan head. Visable carbonation and no lacing.

S - Strong caramel malt and candied sugars with a touch of floral hops (lillies and roses). Pretty nice.

T - An unfront mild malty caramel sweetness with an aftertaste of bitter hops and alcohol. Lots of alcohol.

M - A bit harsh, yet slick and thick. Initially refreshing, but the lingering alcohol on the tongue makes it a bit drying. Interesting, though not desireable.

D - Not great. I wouldn't mind having it again sometime, but it isn't too easy to drink. The mouthfeel more than anything gives problems. It is unsessionable. As for food, it is strong alcohol ad sweet. If a Jack and coke would work, so would this.

3.02/5  rDev -26.3%

11.2 oz. bottle tried 19 Dec 2007. Bottle code 10(?)04.

Medium tan head. Well carbonated. Almost bronze in color. Smells chocolately and like candied pineapple. Taste is cocoa and earth. Fairly sweet. Alcohol noticeable upfront. Coats your tongue almost like cocoa powder.

Looks like the bottle must've cost at least a dollar...

Uerige Doppelsticke from Uerige Obergärige Hausbrauerei