Uerige Doppelsticke | Uerige Obergärige Hausbrauerei

Liked:
4.11/5
Alströms:

3.45/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Always comes in that oddball, yet so awesome looking bottle The color is a amber maple syrup with some trubby haze. Pretty crappt foam and head. The aroma is stale bread with some alcohol. The tomgue is hit with more stale bread, biscuits and hints of bananas. Ohh yeah, and alcohol. The alcohol is not overpowering, but more than wanted for an alt. But Uerige is the only brewery I've tried any altbier from, so I'm still open to try more beers of this style.

3.45/5  rDev -16.1%

3.46/5  rDev -15.8%

Finally tracked down at Premiere Gourmet recent shipment. Not as enjoyable as the others i have had from this brewery. The alcohol was burning me a bit in the nose, in the taste. Smooth mouthfeel, nice appearance in the glass but sourish which some like. Yes there is chocolate malt, which gave bitterness.

3.46/5  rDev -15.8%

This beer pours a nice dark amber from a 33cl brown swingtop bottle. Mild hop aroma, not much else. The malt character is fairly strong, the hops are present too. Has a fairly thick mouthfeel, with some definite alcohol burn in the finish. I don't think I've had an alt before. This beer is fairly drinkable, especially considering its alcohol content. Definitely worth a try, but it is on the pricey side.

3.49/5  rDev -15.1%

Pours out a deep amber tinged ruby with a frothy beige head that stays well put. Leaves some interesting lacing patterns. Smells incredible. The mix of toasted and roasted malts, dried fruits, fresh fruits, toffee, caramel, bread, nuts, honey and earthy hops is just about perfect. Kind of a let-down in the flavor compared to the nose. Malt is not as chewy and rich as I would have been led to believe. Has a nice toastiness and dryness, though. An odd, astringent bitterness starts soon after the sip and just lingers on and on. Also has a flat yeastiness to it. Not my cup of tea. Mouthfeel is rather light considering the abv but there remains a little stickiness and some lively bubbles. Drinkability is OK. It's not a drain pour, but I couldn't see myself buying this again. I much prefer their Classic over this one. Maybe I'm just not big on doppelsticke.

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

Pours a cloudy, brown and mahogany color with a thinnish spray of ecru foam that leaves a small ring of lace on the glass.
Aroma is all caramel with a faint herbal hop note. One dimensional.
Flavor is simple and heavy carmelized malt. Little bit of nuttiness is imparted but found this one to be sort of dull.
Mouthfeel was solid but lacked any really balance to the sweetness. I understand the style but this was a malted milkshake to me.
Drinkability is above average but overall this one was a large disappointment to me. Maybe the beer simply does not travel well.

3.53/5  rDev -14.1%

Served into my Mad Elf tulip glass from an 11,2 oz brown bottle with a long slender neck flip top.

Very mirky,cider-like color with a reddish hue with a sudsy ring of foam a slight swirl gives it a thin creamy coating. Extra tiny bubbles stringing of the sides of the glass.

Intense malted aromas heavy carmell with a burnt edge. The booziness makes the senses tingle. Earthy with a freshly mowed grassiness.

Heavy malted tastes,lot of very sweet burnt carmell,toffee,very good balance with strong tea-like bitterness. Astrigent with an earthy/mineral feel and very boozy.

Full/thick mouthfeel,syrupy. Complex tastes more drinkable than i would have thought from first impression. Still a sipper,on the filling side. One of these is enough for me.

3.55/5  rDev -13.6%

Poured into a standard pint glass. Beer poured a brown color with a thick tan head that quickly diminished. Smells of sweet chocolate and caramel along with some spices and fruit.

The taste was similar, sweet with a slight bitterness. Chocolate and caramel dominate with a fruit and spice aftertaste. There is a slightly noticeable alcohol burn to it.

The beer is very smooth. It looked more carbonated than it felt. It felt like silk (if beer can feel like silk). It caught me way off guard.

I wasn't overly impressed with it, though I would try it again, but perhaps one with less alcohol. The alcohol burn and taste really detracted from the overall experience for me.

3.57/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Before I review this, I must admit that I totally screwed up my enjoyability for this - I purchased this so long ago, I cannot for the life of me even remember the month. There's no bottling date or best by date on this, so double lose. Nevertheless, this has an 8.5% ABV, it is bottle conditioned, and should still provide me plenty of malty goodness this late in the game. Poured into a stange glass from the coolest looking 12oz bottle there probably is. My first authentic altbier that's from Dusseldorf.

Thanks to the bottle conditioning, this pours a rather thick, cloudy mofo of a beer - dark amber, almost bronze, with a thick, creamy off-white head that is about three fingers high. It's hard to tell when holding it against the light (lots and lots of sediment and yeasty cloudiness), but the carbonation is definitely at full force here as these kinds of beers tend to be. Doesn't look too viscous, but the lacing is massive on this one. Doesn't leave any substantial stickiness, so here's hoping I can have this on tap, fresh (preferably at the brewpub).

The aroma is a malty intensity with, at this point, barely any hoppy characteristic, and with the extra ABV, shows signs commonly seen in a barleywine. Caramel, honey, raisins, dates, figs, and plums are common flavors right at the front, while clove, black pepper, and a bit of rosemary follow afterwards. The sherry notes are super obvious at this point, and while it's nothing to necessarily complain about, I always like to get a better frame of reference on how a beer like this is fresh. It's a honeyed, malty good one here, but definitely oxidized and a bit dulled. Still nice to see how's it's held up, however.

Gosh, this is a sweet one - big notes of caramel and honey immediately hit the palate, alongside the raisins and dates, but luckily it's not as oxidized as I suspected it to be. Not that I mind - the sherry (or Madeira) sweetened phenols are still full at the finish, but there's a fuller focus on the malt profile at hand. Other than the dried, sweetened fruits, there's some butterscotch, clove, hibiscus, and green tea notes at the finish. Quite herbal and earthy in the aftertaste, which makes this more on the medicinal side than preferable. Creamy, yeasty, and well carbonated. The ABV is extraordinarily well hidden thanks to the sugars, but it becomes more noticeable as it warms up. Tastes a lot like a homebrew, which usually can be a good sign in my book, and yet in this case, lacks a refined quality that I expected a little bit more given the brewery's standards.

Definitely as malty as I expected, and without a doubt a far purer altbier - a polar opposite in so many respects from the rival kölsch recipe across the Rhine. Nevertheless, I doubt we get these as fresh as I'd like in the US. The oxidized notes are obvious, and the malts are far more on the sweetened, honeyed side more than I personally enjoy it to be. Here's hoping fresher German altbiers will come into the US - for now, I will sip on this let it lay me down like the boozy malty elixir that it has become.

3.58/5  rDev -12.9%

Swingtop bottle brewed April 2006 and sampled the same month but one year later.
Poured with good bubbly, off-white head, that seemed to boil up and then simmer down. Some considerable clarity. Nice auburn and purple highlighting with the darker shades over top the beer. Aroma of esters and roting fruit with a soft malty underscore. Some suggestion of alcohol. The aftertaste lingers with strong malty notes. The flavour note as strong as it should be with the malts faded, the esters weak. The taste showcased alot of exotic fruit notes (like coconut) but oddly left your mouth feeling quite dry. This was alright, but I'm sure alot was lost with age. I'd love to be able to try this fresh (we didn't intend to age it) because I'm sure it's much better than what my first impression was... will re-review!

3.59/5  rDev -12.7%

Appearance - murky brown color which yielded nearly no head whatsoever

smell - cocoa, malt, dark chocolate, dark fruits, little bit of booze

taste - wheat/pumpernickel bread, dark fruits, toasted, almost burnt malt flavor to this

mouthfeel - this one is kind of hard to measure, full bodied, low carbonation, bitter aftertaste, boozy finish

drinkability - at ~$7 for a 500ML bottle, combined with the fact that this is a sipper, I gave this one a grade of 3 on drinkability. Very different beverage when compared to the Pinkus Altbier, which is the only other entrant of this style that I have tried. Good beer.

3.61/5  rDev -12.2%

This is a 33 cL swing-top bottle of Uerige Doppelsticke. I am drinking the beer from a Widmer Bros. weizen glass. The ale is cold.

Appearance: The ale has a deep hazy brown color. There is a great deal of sediment and cloudiness in the glass. There is a bit of head but not a great deal.

Smell: The ale has a musty malt flavor that reminds me of some homebrews my brother used to make. There is not much of a hop presence to balance that out though.

Taste: The flavor kicks in where the nose leaves off. The malt sweetness immediately jumps off of the tongue and provides a pleasing base. After the initial burst, I was hoping for a gradual tone-down in the malt, but the intensity continued, leaving a long sweet finish.

Mouthfeel: The malts are pleasing, but a bit more on the hop side, please.

Drinkability: Again, the maltiness is a bit much, providing too strong of a sweetness at times.

3.61/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

3.62/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a very dark brown color with a small but dense brown head that dissipated into a light cap. The aroma is of toasted caramel malt, fig, raisins/dates, and a bit of spice. Similar to an old ale. The taste is grainy, lightly roasted, molasses, red wine, an odd lemony twang, and rust. Not what I expected from the aroma. The feel is well bodied with moderate carbonation, finishes slightly sticky with a stale hop bitterness. A malty beverage for sure but it seems past its prime, though I'm not sure that it is. Has both good and bad characteristics, its ok, not sure I would seek out again.

3.63/5  rDev -11.7%

Toasty herbal aroma. Dark fruits, figs, and plums. Very herbaceous. A bit grassy and spicy. Pumpernickel bread. Somewhat minty. Graham cracker and marshmallows interestingly enough. Rich and satisfying.

Pours very dark brown with amber highlights. small light tan head with decent retention. Not much lacing. Low carbonation.

Very rich and pretty sweet. Molasses and toasted bread. Burnt sugar and prunes. Caraway seeds as well. Toffee and milk chocolate. Low hop bitterness but some herbal hop flavor.

Full body and low carbonation. Mouthfilling. Big and sweet. Not what I expect from most German breweries.

Just too much sweetness to be satisfying. Aroma is killer, but a bit of a chore to get through.

Uerige Doppelsticke from Uerige Obergärige Hausbrauerei