Uerige Doppelsticke | Uerige Obergärige Hausbrauerei

Style: Altbier

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-02-2005

Reviews: 422 | Ratings: 641
3.17/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

I poured a bottle into a thistle glass.

Appearance- Cloudy dark brown color with a half a fingers worth of head. Light amount of runny lacing. It has a small amount of chalk like yeast residue in the bottom of the glass.

Smell- Malty sweet smell with caramel, raisin, and fig aromas.

Taste- Very sweet with a strong flavor of figs and raisins. There are also hints of caramel and toffee.

Mouthfeel- Thick and sticky feeling. An average amount of carbonation.

Overall- I didn't care for this beer. The aromas and flavors were good but it was a bit too sweet for me. I also didn't care for the excessively thick and sticky mouthfeel.

4.38/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Undated bottle at 45 degrees into standard pint glass
Aroma of malt
Head average (3 cm), light brown, creamy, slowly diminishing to 2 mm layer
Lacing excellent, covering the inside with mostly small bubbles
Body dark brown, opaque
Flavor begins with marked sweet malt presence with a burst of hop bitterness which quickly fades back into the malt backbone; no alcohol, no diacetyl. Ends slightly bitter.
Palate medium to full, creamy, lively carbonation.

Definitely sticke – a malt-heavy altbier that I could drink all day. Its appearance is outstanding, saying “Trink” while its flavor makes you want to drain the glass (or bottle or tap). A lovely malt bomb!

3.31/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I got this 11.2 fl oz brown glass bottle at Lukas Liquor in Colorado. I love the design of it; it's a swingtop with a really narrow neck. Certainly a uniquely shaped bottle. Reviewed as a doppelsticke (not to be confused with an altbier). "Bottled on 10/17/12." That's one of the hardest bottled-on dates I've ever tried to read, and it's curious that they don't use the European dating format. Maybe they label export bottles differently?

Served cold into a Spaten stangenglas in me parents' gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are high; I'll be at Uerige in a couple days so I'm excited to review this before going.

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

HEAD: Three fingers in width. Pale khaki colour. Nice soft complexion and even consistency. Fluffy and frothy, to style. Retention is excellent for the high ABV - about 10 minutes. Leaves lacing on the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

BODY: Dark brown amber colour. Nontransparent, nontranslucent. No floating yeast particulate or hop sediment is visible.

Appears well-carbonated. Looks good and malty for sticke. I'm excited to try it.

AROMA: Quite malty, with plenty of German amber malts and brown malts. I get caramel, as well as ample sticky fruitiness. Cream. Toffee. Mulled applesauce. Figs. Mushy raisins. The sticky fruity notes play well with the intense malts. Fruited bread.

I don't find any overt hop character or yeast notes. No alcohol presence is notable.

It's a pleasing aroma of moderate strength. Certainly on the sweeter end, but appealing.

TEXTURE: Smooth and wet, but very thick and heavy on the palate without being syrupy. It's got definite weight and heft, and has a powerful filling presence on the palate. Aptly carbonated. Sticky.

Not oily, gushed, hot, boozy, astringent, or harsh.

TASTE: Caramalt, hints of plum, heavy fig, sticky mushy raisins and raisinbread, dark amber malts, and caramel. Kisses of toffee and even some Christmasy spice. It's quite bready - though I suppose that's a product of both its taste and its filling texture. Molasses.

Average depth and duration of flavour. High intensity of flavour for a sticke.

Balanced? Hmm. Not quite. The sweetness is a bit much, and the fig dominance a bit too obvious. There's little in terms of hop bitterness to balance the sweetness. It's a complex, layered beer, sure, but a bit more subtlety would be welcome. Not the most intricate or nuanced beer. I do like it, and it's great to see a rich German ale out there.

Develops as it comes to temperature. The heavy malty element of this beer reminds me of a doppelbock.

OVERALL: It's a very filling rich heavy beer, which limits its drinkability. But I do enjoy it and I'll have no trouble finishing it. Still, it's nice to see a brewery include a swintop on a higher alcohol beer; I wish most American imperial stouts had swingtops. It's far from the best sticke or altbier I've had, but it's well worth trying once, and has a flavour profile that is certainly rare, if not unique. I couldn't pound this by the stange at Uerige, but I think there's a reason they don't serve it there. This would be a nice treat during the wintertime.

Low B-

3.98/5  rDev -3.2%

This brew shows a dark and hazy mahogany color with a decent but delicate light tan head and a sure cascading lace. The aroma offers deep caramel maple malt with a subtle grassy edge. Maybe a little chocolate licorice to boot. Nice. The flavor climaxes with an intense sweet licorice malt and more grassy hops. There's a bit of rhubarb tartness and deep root beer flavor. It is a little sweeter than I normally like but it's tolerable as you enjoy the combined flavors. It finishes a bit harsh at the back of the palate with a modest carbonation and a smooth feel from this medium bodied brew. I would say that there's a cloying quality here that interferes with the enjoyment but they get kudos for big flavor.

4.69/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Surprise find at Nathaniel Square Corner Store, in Rochester, NY. 2009 vintage, looks like it was released for Uerige's 150 year anniversary. Really excited to try this. Poured into my Rooster Fish snifter.

Pours hard with crackling carbonation, and small amounts of sediment. A inch light fizzy head forms. Random streaks of lacing form on the glass on the way down. Fairly cloudy.

Smells like toasted malt, slight bit of oxidation, must, and grass.

Tastes incredible. Rich, toasty bread, caramel, toffee, grass, slight bitterness, honey, slight dusty must like flavors. The hop flavors 5 years later are basically kaput, with some pleasant light grassiness remaining.

Full mouthfeel, low carbonation. Goes down pretty easily.

This might be the oldest beer I've ever consumed. It was amazing- the strong altbier had turned into a rich barley-wine like ale, almost like a very dry old ale. Some oxidation was present, but it didn't really detract. One of the best beers I've ever had.

4.22/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From a 330 ml bottle (with a cool stopper-type closure and a date code that says 04/13) into a pokal.

A-A gentle pour produces about a finger of light-khaki-colored head. Retention is decent as a cap hangs around for a while and leaves spots of lacing. The beer is muddy and the color of swamp water. It is nearly opaque, but I cannot see much carbonation in there.

S-The aroma is huge on the malts with sweet, dried fruit like raisins and prunes, and sugary flavors like toffee, caramel, and molasses. It is very sweet and the alcohol gives just a bit of burn in the nostrils. This is a big beer.

T-The taste follows the smell with malt flavors like caramel, brown sugar, prunes, and cocoa. The fruit component is still here, but is toned down a bit. There is a bit of spice on the finish and a warm alcohol. I do not detect much in the way of hops. The beer reminds me of a quadruple or BSDA.

M-The beer is robust on the palate and very smooth with creamy carbonation. The amount of carbonation here is below average.

O-My limited experience with other altbiers was nothing like this. Whereas those other beers were mellow and lighter in body, this beer is hugely complex and substantial...a real sipper. I kept thinking I was drinking a quad or a hopped-up dubbel because the malt profile was so huge and similar in flavor. I'm not sure how true to style this beer is, but I really enjoyed it and would definitely drink more.

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

From the bottle into the closest glass I had to a stange.

Well, the appearance threw me for a loop with all the sediment, so I had to check the bottle for dates. I see a botted in 12/11 which I assume means this is from November of 2012 and thus almost a year and a half old. Ah well, I'm still going for it. Besides the sediment, there's a quarter-finger of fizzy, cream white head. The beer's got a muddy brown color and looks a bit murky with a slow trickly of carbonation. I'm not too impressed.

Now, are doppelstickes barleywines? I seem to remember reading a suggestion of that sort somewhere. I can smell the similarities here; this smells like a barleywine. I get a spiciness with the strong, bready malt aroma. There's something almost vinous there, or maybe that's just dark raisins. Maybe it's port. It's hard for me to pin down but again, it's similar to many barleywines I've had recently.

I'll finally take a sip, still slightly nervous about the sheer amount of floaties. Well, I'm not dead. I get again, a huge raisin taste, something that again suggests a port to me. There's a highly sweet malt flavor giving off some caramel and toffee notes and contributing to a thick, creamy body. However, the beer finishes very dry, with a slight hint of alcohol much like I'd expect from a wine. Actually, the hop is quite bitter too, making me realize there are more hops in here than I'd have assumed.

My rating will be skewed as a result of the appearance, which really didn't appeal to me, but I otherwise found this beer to be good and presenting a lot of different aromas and flavors. I'd like to try this more often and perhaps much fresher to determine whether my rating reserves an adjustment. Still, I'm a fan.

3.97/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

It's been a long time in coming to finally get around to my first Uerige altbier. Didn't realize at the time I purchased this that this one is the doppel version. That's okay, but I'll have to make sure I sample the other one too. Still rated #2 in category with a beer with less than 50 samples out scoring it (there should be a higher minimim, IMHO).
Looks like bottled on date of 01.11
Poured into my Pilsner Urquell glass (closest to a stange that I have in my beer glassware).
Heavier malt character with a touch of oxidation on this one. Slightly sweet with a some caramel. Hops quite subdued. Apparent alcohol.
Even with an aggressive pour it is hard to get a head of 1/4 inch, however, it did decide to hang around for a bit. and showed some lacing. Quite cloudy, really with a brownish color overall.
Less aged noted on taste, but it is still there. Nice complex drink. Very smooth blending of complex malt, alcohol and soft but apparent hopping. Some lingering on the finish but it does fade. The middle of the drink is the highlight. Oxidation most noted up front then the malt complexity kicks in with a tough of sweetness, caramel, heavier toast and a stream of hop flavors produce a very enjoyable mix.
Lighter body for bigger beer, with a smooth carbonation and overall smooth feel.
Nice beer. I wish I had a younger sample. The stales distracts on the intake. Yet can still imagine what a fresh version would be. Will seek out a younger one in time.

4.15/5  rDev +1%

Uerige doppelsticke on tap served in snifter

Dark mahogany brown with a one finger foam cap that quickly settles into a ring around the edge.

Aroma of fig, deep rich malt

Full mouthfeel, smooth, fig and tobacco , malt , gentle carbonation , can taste the alcohol

Good beer

3.57/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Before I review this, I must admit that I totally screwed up my enjoyability for this - I purchased this so long ago, I cannot for the life of me even remember the month. There's no bottling date or best by date on this, so double lose. Nevertheless, this has an 8.5% ABV, it is bottle conditioned, and should still provide me plenty of malty goodness this late in the game. Poured into a stange glass from the coolest looking 12oz bottle there probably is. My first authentic altbier that's from Dusseldorf.

Thanks to the bottle conditioning, this pours a rather thick, cloudy mofo of a beer - dark amber, almost bronze, with a thick, creamy off-white head that is about three fingers high. It's hard to tell when holding it against the light (lots and lots of sediment and yeasty cloudiness), but the carbonation is definitely at full force here as these kinds of beers tend to be. Doesn't look too viscous, but the lacing is massive on this one. Doesn't leave any substantial stickiness, so here's hoping I can have this on tap, fresh (preferably at the brewpub).

The aroma is a malty intensity with, at this point, barely any hoppy characteristic, and with the extra ABV, shows signs commonly seen in a barleywine. Caramel, honey, raisins, dates, figs, and plums are common flavors right at the front, while clove, black pepper, and a bit of rosemary follow afterwards. The sherry notes are super obvious at this point, and while it's nothing to necessarily complain about, I always like to get a better frame of reference on how a beer like this is fresh. It's a honeyed, malty good one here, but definitely oxidized and a bit dulled. Still nice to see how's it's held up, however.

Gosh, this is a sweet one - big notes of caramel and honey immediately hit the palate, alongside the raisins and dates, but luckily it's not as oxidized as I suspected it to be. Not that I mind - the sherry (or Madeira) sweetened phenols are still full at the finish, but there's a fuller focus on the malt profile at hand. Other than the dried, sweetened fruits, there's some butterscotch, clove, hibiscus, and green tea notes at the finish. Quite herbal and earthy in the aftertaste, which makes this more on the medicinal side than preferable. Creamy, yeasty, and well carbonated. The ABV is extraordinarily well hidden thanks to the sugars, but it becomes more noticeable as it warms up. Tastes a lot like a homebrew, which usually can be a good sign in my book, and yet in this case, lacks a refined quality that I expected a little bit more given the brewery's standards.

Definitely as malty as I expected, and without a doubt a far purer altbier - a polar opposite in so many respects from the rival kölsch recipe across the Rhine. Nevertheless, I doubt we get these as fresh as I'd like in the US. The oxidized notes are obvious, and the malts are far more on the sweetened, honeyed side more than I personally enjoy it to be. Here's hoping fresher German altbiers will come into the US - for now, I will sip on this let it lay me down like the boozy malty elixir that it has become.

3.74/5  rDev -9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottled 2011

The beer pours a dull coppery brown with chunks of yeast and no head. Definitely looking both German and malty. The nose is definitely sweet with bit of fruity yeast and alcohol on the back end. The taste delivers the goods as expected with fruit and malt upfront reminiscent of figs and plums and a lingering burn from the alcohol clouding the palate and sloughing off some taste buds when it finally dissipates. It's medium bodied, yeasty, under-carbonated, slightly boozy, and quite malty. This is a tasty brew, malty and boozy, thanks for sharing doc.

4.04/5  rDev -1.7%

huge grape aroma along with grapenuts and caramel.
appearance is very dark brown with debris from the bottle and a off white slightly tan head leaving nice lacing'
taste is big on the dark fruits like figs and plums along with dark caramel and a touch of ash and big munich flavor.
mouth feel is syrupy and thick/slick and finishes semi sweet
great beer to have on a fall night would not want to drink this daily but its very enjoyable

3.71/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

bottle into a oversized wine glass. bottled 4-12-13

A- A hazy brownish orange. Little head that clears to a slight ring.

S- Bready with some malts.Dark fruits like raisin, prunes, fig, some light sweetness.

T- Starts with some malts, dark fruit in the middle, finish is with some light bitterness and burnt apricots.

M- Medium feel with a nice smooth body. light fizzy carbonation over the tongue

O- Nifty beer, better flavor than the smell. Not my normal style but I did enjoy it. I probably wont purchase again, more because I would rather have a good Stout.

4.69/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A: Color is dark brown with lots of red hues. The medium beige head is very compact - I bet I could put a quarter dollar on it, and it wouldn't sink. Dissipation is very slow and leaves rich, rich lacings.

S: Loaded with dark dried fruits; raisins and plums, but also with some cherry-kernels. Bitterness. Light citric and sour notes. Lots of malt and some bitterhops in the back. Very bready and full maltyness. Some apples.

T: Syrupy sweet, bready malt. Sour and bitterness from like cherry-kernels. Lots of dark dried fruits - tart. Some bitter hops. Red apples and pears. Some oak. Lots of floral hoppy notes. Soy-sauce.

M: Very full body, almost like molasses. Low carbonation and a long full sweet aftertaste.

O: This is a fantastic beer.

4.02/5  rDev -2.2%

Big slight tan head that seems to stick around and leaves lace all over the glass. Dark brown with amber hue.
Smell- Dark fruit, raisin and bread come through with a spiciness from the noble hops.
Taste- Caramel malt with raisin and fig notes and a bready malt that comes through just before the bittering hops lay a spiciness on the back of the tongue. Warming alcohol heat that does not come through in taste except for maybe a little sweetness.

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

A: Poured into a stange from the neat flip top bottle. Pours a brown color with a minimal head that recedes quickly into a patch of tiny bubble in the middle, a fair amount of carbonation can be seen clinging to the inside wall of the glass.

S: Smells very much of dark fruits, plums, dates, figs, some maltiness is present with some caramel sweetness and some alcohol notes.

T: Sweet notes of caramel malts, and light notes of dark fruits, not a whole lot else that I am picking up on.

M: Creamy, low amount of carbonation which works well with the flavors going on. Smooth on the tongue, lingers for a fair period of time on the tongue.

O: OVerall, very good, I would definitely get this again, it is very enjoyable and the higher ABV doesn't overwhelm the flavors at all. Would definitely buy this again.

2.77/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Looks like chocolate milk. Very dark hazy brown. Lacing is there but not extremely prominent. Some sediment floating around.

Smells of plums, raisin, and wine with a pungent alcohol smell.

The taste is almost exactly like the smell. Very deep raisin/bread taste. Theres a hint of smokiness as well. The alcohol is there but not overpowering. Mouthfeel is very sticky, slightly carbonated. The taste lingers LONG after you've swallowed.

This beer is a bit hard for me to drink. But, I can't say it's really my style of beer. I can appreciate it for what it is, though. I'd like to try some other beers of this style.

4.22/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

P: Murky strong brewed tea tea appearance with floating sediment. A fast vanishing dollop of opaque head.

S: Brownie mix, almost rotting bananas, sugar malt, rum raisins, plums, Mexican pound cake, hints of medicinal aroma, earthy musty wood notes and spicy yeast. Booze is astringent but faint with a more dominate presence once swirled.

T/M: Has a nice aged palate with sugary but smooth malt. Loads of dark fruits and dinginess. Creamy body that fizzes over the tongue to create a great mouthfeel. Finishes with a similarity to homemade plum wine.

O: Great balance of flavors that are smooth and palate pleasing. The aged presence really shines here. This is a beer I will be gravity g more of soon. Cheers!

3.66/5  rDev -10.9%

A- very dark amber, thin white head fades to to a very thin rim. Small flakes floating in the bottom.

S- caramel, raisins, bread, with a very prominent alcohol finish

T- Caramel and raisin, like it smells, but cut with a high bitterness. The Alt background of high bitterness is apparent and also necessary in this beer, helps keep it drinkable and smooth. Slight alcohol heat in finish.

M- carbonation is not very diffused in the beer, it finishes smooth, the alcohol thins it out a bit too

O- very full flavor, glad it only comes in 11 oz bottle

3.73/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Flip top bottle. Pours a thick dark mahogany brown with no head. Aroma of caramel malt, some dark dried fruit esters, brown sugar, yeast and bready notes fill the senses. Taste same as aroma with some sweet liquorices flavor, alcohol and mild bitter notes. Palate is a full body, sweet thick sticky mouth feel, mild carbonation. Finish is sweet caramel malt, very yeasty and bread, with some dark fruit, brown sugar, ending with a dry boozy lingering sweet bitter liquorices flavor. Overall a good strong flavorful brew.

4.07/5  rDev -1%

A: Pours a murky sort of dark brown. Tall fizzy and fluffy light brown head (almost tan). Head fades at a medium pace, leaving absolutely no lacing behind. Decent retention.

S: Very malty. Grainy bread. Some raisin, especially when swirled. A touch toasty too.

T: Again, malty and sweet. Heavy, thick toasted bread with raisins. A touch of cherry. A little bit of booze bite on the back end. Touch of herbal and spice notes, especially between sips. Cannot overstate the bread and raisins flavor. It tastes like someone blended up raisin bread and served it to me. It's about as thick too.

M: Surprisingly heavy. Thick and smooth. Low carb. Nice.

O: Interesting brew. Very thick, very heavy. It feels like some 15% monster. I cannot overstate how heavy it is for an 8.5% brew, by far the heaviest for the ABV. Nice strength and balance of flavors. A malty, sweet sipper for sure. I enjoyed it a lot.

4.62/5  rDev +12.4%

A - Chunky sediment in a dark ice tea body. Fine, light khaki head pours a half finger high with nice retention and ok lace.

S - Great nose; smooth and well balanced. Raisin, black cherry, caramel, and a really a nice touch of smoke.

T - Wow, restrained and modest but with outstanding complexity and quality. Black cherry, rich toasted malt, milk chocolate, cream soda, plum jelly, soft oaky booze, and just a hint of hardwood smoke.

M - Creamy, smooth, and full bodied. Caramel and a light acidity on the backend.

O - Superbly drinkable with world class balance.

330 ML bottle poured into a pint glass. 4/2012 bottling date

Pours a dark reddish brown color with a moderate white head. smell is very malty and bready... think a dopplebock. taste is also doppelbock-esque. slightly sweet and malty. some herbs thrown in as well. enjoyable. barleywine/dopplebock mix. feel is medium bodied with medium carbonation. pretty easy to drink.

overall nothing special to me, but if youre a fan of dopplebocks this is a beer you will definitely enjoy.

4.1/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

is a dopplesticke a style of beer? some sort of smoked dopple bock or something? this is my first encounter with one, thanks to the legendary claystation. this oddity pours a deep amber to brown color, with visible carbonation and a homebrewed root beer looking head, nice and thick and just off white. the nose is sweet and smoky, not quite on the rauchbier level, but definitely pronounced. there are a mix of dark roasted as well as sweeter caramel grains, and some yeast that's about strong enough to break it all down. the flavor of this beer is huge, about as much intensity as can be packed into a single (very interestingly shaped) bottle. long graham crackery sweetness all the way through, some pleasant oak smoke up front, and noticeable relaxing alcohol content that seems appropriate with all this malt density. claystation described it as meaty, like downright bacon. I was less inclined to say meat, and more maybe just smoke. I guess I can see some beef jerky going on here, but its not pervasive. long sweet finish. the feel is as full bodied as they come, and the carbonation is decent, but hardly lightens the texture up at all. this is a bomb, a bottle to be shared, and one of the more unique german beers ive encountered. not sure ill rush to find one again, but I enjoyed the experience and thought process involved here.

3.66/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

11oz Bottle received in trade with Phyl21ca - Thanks!

Appearance - Cloudy brown colour with a very small size fizzy beige coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is some fair lacing. The head lasted for 1-2 minutes.

Smell - Malts, dark fruits, leather, anise

Taste & Mouth - There is a low amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, anise, and raisins. There is also some herbal notes and a nuttiness and a smokiness. It ends with a malty sweet herbal/earthy aftertaste.

Overall - An interesting beer.. kind of tastes like a dubbel/barley wine but with some gruit like flavours mixed in. Not something I'd drink a whole lot of, but points for originality.

Uerige Doppelsticke from Uerige Obergärige Hausbrauerei