Uerige Doppelsticke | Uerige Obergärige Hausbrauerei

Style: Altbier

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-02-2005

Reviews: 423 | Ratings: 651
4.67/5  rDev +13.6%

classy flip top 11.2 ounce bottle (Bottled on 4-18, noted on the upper label), pours reddish coppery amber, soft and creamy off white head, leaves some scattered, fine stringy lacing. Spicy, alcohol, astringent nose. Clean, strong, flavorful brew, nutty, malty,rum soaked, crisp and tasty. simply one of the best brews out there, seek it out and enjoy this delicacy. World class sipper/night capper, would be great with some nuts cheese, dried fruits, you get the idea...

4.28/5  rDev +4.1%

bottled in June, 2004.
Poured into stange.

Pours reddish/brown with a thick, cream-colored head that slowly descends to half its size after a little while. A fine layer that leaves rings of lacing down the side remains throughout. The head's impressive considering how long this bottle has been sitting in the cold fridge.

The smell is of sweet caramel, raisin bread and a touch of alcohol.

The taste begins with sweet caramel and some breadiness upfront. As the drink progresses, yeast enters into it more. As the drink progresses further, bitter fruity hops also emerge more fully and almost catches up to the malt, though the malt clearly remains in the lead to near the end. A fruity hop taste finishes it off. It's like a tour of tastes. A trace of alcohol lingers in the background throughout, but never interferes.

It's full-bodied with a rich, creamy feel.

This is an enjoyably complex, tasty "sipping" beer.

4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

Dusky color, a rich, deep auburn, with a sturdy, creamy head.

Aroma is malty sweet X 10...big, bombastic, yeasty, creamy, yum...vegetal, herbal, ...I said "yum", right?

Taste: mightily complex, a big conglomoration, thick, slick, utterly resplendent with the malt and the grist and the...wort...aw, jeez, I'm a nitwit, I've run out of ways to describe what makes it good, I just know it is...so, at least I admit to that, eh?

Sweetness, bright fruit, tasty as all get out, definitive deliciousness...this is an altbier, this "doppelsticke"?...huh! Richest malt, tastiest taste, not what I'd think of for an alt, but this was not a brew I went into with any preconceptions or notions that it would stick to a style.

Full body, long, fruity/malty finish...caramel flavor speaks loudest...

Damned good stuff. Drink it when you see it!

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

12/9/05- Purchased at Bottleworks in Seattle, WA.

Presentation- .33 liter bottle, so I guess around 11.2 ounces or so, which would make sense. Poured into my St. Bernardus chalice.

Appearance- Ruby red, tinges of brown colored pour. Smaller 1/2 inch head and slight lacing in different places.

Smell- At first it was very sweet malt scents with some brown sugar and maybe cardomom and cinnimon. When it really warmed it took on the characteristic of a cognac or brandy.

Taste- Very sweet and somewhat thick. Kind of a maple sugary flavor to go with a nice subtle taste of cinnimon and maybe clove? Slight hop bitterness as well.

Mouthfeel- Thick, lightly creamy and nicely carbonated.

Drinkability- Another winner for tonight! Very tasty and worth picking up for a try.

4.08/5  rDev -0.7%

I don't think I've ever had an Imperial Alt before so I'm not sure what expect. Served on draft at a local beer bar. Beer is dark brown, tight brown head. I cannot tell the level of carbonation because the beer is too dark / thick. There is some reddish brown notes to the color at the corners of the glass. Lacing HIGH! Looks like a good beer. Darker than most alts but it is imperial so to speak.

Aroma is STRONG! First, I can smell the alcohol, which is unfortunate. But I can also smell the malt, lots of malt, and some roast. The more I smell it the more I'm expecting a malt bomb.

This beer really surprised me, which is odd because I didn't really have expectations. First, its dry but smooth. The first thing I taste is the malt, this really is a malt bomb, but it doesn't stop there. The mid-palate there are these odd spices, I can't really identify them, but they are definitely there. Its a difficult combination of flavors but it keeps me drinking. The spice is followed by a short and really bright round flavor that if it lasted any longer would be unpleasant but it is cut short by the back of the mouth dryness. The dryness causes this beer to finish completely. Mouthfeel is great, drinkability is moderate to high, not sure I could drink very many of these.

4.05/5  rDev -1.5%

Review from 12/2010 notes. Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Dark, dark red amber. Nice light tan head and lots of lacing. Malt, roast malt and fruit aroma. Excellent presentation, both the head and aroma are very nice. Medium to heavy bodied, strong malt, toasted malts and dark fruits up front. Middle and finish with a tannic, bitter malt flavor. I like the complexity of the flavor, but the finish is a bit too astringent for me. Well made, but not quite to my taste.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

First sampled in Philly, I had hoped to drink this in its native environment at the Uerige keller in Düsseldorf. Maybe on my next trip. Just as glorious as expected, dark and caramelly, slightly sweet with a hint at the alcohol.. This one is a treat all the way around. "old beer" my ass, this is just as relevant today. Try one if you have the chance, this is what altbier is all about.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Surprise find at Nathaniel Square Corner Store, in Rochester, NY. 2009 vintage, looks like it was released for Uerige's 150 year anniversary. Really excited to try this. Poured into my Rooster Fish snifter.

Pours hard with crackling carbonation, and small amounts of sediment. A inch light fizzy head forms. Random streaks of lacing form on the glass on the way down. Fairly cloudy.

Smells like toasted malt, slight bit of oxidation, must, and grass.

Tastes incredible. Rich, toasty bread, caramel, toffee, grass, slight bitterness, honey, slight dusty must like flavors. The hop flavors 5 years later are basically kaput, with some pleasant light grassiness remaining.

Full mouthfeel, low carbonation. Goes down pretty easily.

This might be the oldest beer I've ever consumed. It was amazing- the strong altbier had turned into a rich barley-wine like ale, almost like a very dry old ale. Some oxidation was present, but it didn't really detract. One of the best beers I've ever had.

4.43/5  rDev +7.8%

Appearance: clear dark copper with some orange highlights. Nice 2" head. Some mild lacing develops.

Smell: caramel, malt sweetness, and some honey.

Taste: huge malt backbone, big caramels, honey sweetness, a drop of molasses, and a slight hint of chocolate towards the finish. Mild bitternes and alcohol is mildly noticeable.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy from start to finish. Medium-heavy in body. The aftertaste is relatively short even though the malt sticks to the tongue.

Drinkability: superb and easy drinking. This was a wonderful find, and is better than the sticke version. Buy this if you find it.

4.09/5  rDev -0.5%

Bottle from Premier Gourmet, 11.2oz swing-top bottle. Bottled 01-11, split in a tulip with Steve.

Poured a deep violet, no real head is produced other than a film which faded about halfway through the glass. Little to no retention and some modest legs. Nose is heavy on the malt, sugary dark fruits, some brown sugar and dark bread. Although resembling a sweet fruity doppel(sticke), this had some qualities akin to what reminded me of a similar English Barleywine (call me crazy!). Taste has more dark fruits, figs and dates. Still lightly sugary, bready and malty as heck. Rich dark toffee and caramel, with a ton of herbal and spicy hop notes in the finish (producing the same dryness and bitterness as the others). No real alcohol on the palate, with a full and dense body. Sweet with a very low carbonation, that's a shade or two off of being flat. A big sipper for the winter, I can imagine this being immaculate on draught or cask.

4.38/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Swing Top

Nice loud pop upon opening.

Poured into a tulip a nice dark brown color, very nice carbonation, very nice one-finger plus creamy off-white head, lots of nice sticky lacing to follow. The nose is malty, tones of figs, raisins, plums, toffee, and caramel. The taste is malty, some sweetness, dark fruits, toffee/caramel. Medium body, very nicely done brew. The alcohol is hidden very well, smooth, very easy going down. Very drinkable, this is a unique brew, probaly the first for me with this taste, I've had Altbiers before, but this one is in a class all it's own, highly recommended.

Poured into pint glass.
Started with a smell of earth and cocoa, then moved to coffee and caramel with roasted malt. head was small yet durable..laced until the end
Taste was strong. Coffee and caramel dominated with background of grapes (like in grape juice) and roasted malt or even toast.
Thicker than I thought. Perhaps a bit syrupy or oily.

4.28/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I've been lucky enough to visit the Uerige brewhouse in Düsseldorf (freshest altbier you can get), however their stronger doppelsticke was unavailable at the time. I've come across the brand again stateside, and this time lucky enough to have a 330 ml swingtop bottle ready to consume. Here's to my 29th birthday! On to the beer:

Very dark brown colored and topped with a short head which provides decent head retention. I got too aggressive with the pour and accidently poured the dregs into my glass, so I'm left with an eyesore of chunks towards the bottom. It smells like fun. It has an overall sweet aroma with raisins, brown sugar, grapes, sap, and figs.

What a flavor as well! It's a beefy and completely different animal from the standard house altbier. Full flavored and full bodied with a wet kiss of alcohol, strong fig and raisin notes, and bittersweet aftertaste.

This will put some warmth on my body. This is one beer that every beer geek needs to try on their journey.

4.12/5  rDev +0.2%

The beer a hazy brown color with a tan head. The aroma is a ton of caramel malt with some chocolate and earthy hops mixed in. The flavor is similar. I get caramel malt, earth and dirty hops, chocolate malt and smoke. The alcohol is fairly noticeable and the bitterness from the hops is low. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Glad I got to try this one.

4.57/5  rDev +11.2%

Pours a dark chestnut with a head that fades pretty quickly. Some lacing. The smell has lots of dry malt up front. some fresh grain, wasa crackers, and powderey chocolate. The taste is similar, but with lots more chocolate- very big, dry, and smooth. A nicely integrated malt bomb with the alcohol well hidden and quite creamy as well. Delicious.

4.42/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured from 330mL swing-top bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: rich, cloudy, deep brown body that looks old and stubborn. Head is a thin layer of creamy foam that has surprising retention considering its slim build. Quite good.

Smell: rich, dank aroma of musty dark fruits. Cherries, plums, a little pear even; one of the best smelling beers I've had in recent memory.

Taste: a flavor to rival the aroma. Rich Levantine fruits with a chalky back flavor and just enough bitterness to bring the mammoth malt into some semblance of balance. This is a freakin' fantastic beer.

Mouthfeel: rich and silky. Carbonation, and thus creaminess, are both rather low, but in this huge-bodied malt bomb, they are not really needed. I like it.

Drinkability: dangerously drinkable at 8.5% ABV. The alcohol says sip but the flavor says keep it coming. Plain delicious.

3.58/5  rDev -12.9%

Swingtop bottle brewed April 2006 and sampled the same month but one year later.
Poured with good bubbly, off-white head, that seemed to boil up and then simmer down. Some considerable clarity. Nice auburn and purple highlighting with the darker shades over top the beer. Aroma of esters and roting fruit with a soft malty underscore. Some suggestion of alcohol. The aftertaste lingers with strong malty notes. The flavour note as strong as it should be with the malts faded, the esters weak. The taste showcased alot of exotic fruit notes (like coconut) but oddly left your mouth feeling quite dry. This was alright, but I'm sure alot was lost with age. I'd love to be able to try this fresh (we didn't intend to age it) because I'm sure it's much better than what my first impression was... will re-review!

4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours with a frothy, fine bubbled tan to pale brown colored head. The beer is brilliantly clear, yet quite dark and amber hued. Wow, the aroma is concentrated and malty with notes of molasses and dark, sweet cake-like notes. There is a hint of cocoa powder, and even something resembling cinnamon. The taste is quite sweet and malty up front, yet it has a spicy hoppiness to it as well. The finish is dry in a sort of cocoa powder way, but some of the malty, toffee-like sweetness lingers on the palate and tongue even after swallowing this beer. This beer is quite rich and concentrated, definitely of bock strength. This almost reminds me of rich, dark German cake or sweetbread that has been lightly spiced. This beer has that characteristic fresh Alt hoppiness that no Bock would have; herbal with even a hint of citrus fruit. This is quite nice and flavorful.

4.4/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Very cool looking 11.2oz bottle picked up at the Coop late last week for about $4.50.. poured into my small weizen glass.

Long Lasting creamy looking lite tan head atop a deep chesnut brew... bottle condtioned and despite my best intentions, a slight yeast haze made it into the glass.

Aroma is thick caramel and dark fruits.. rememinds me of a well aged English barleywine... definate alcohol thrown into the mix.. some spicy/earthy hop note become more evident as it warms.

Wow.. alot of things going on in this one... dark/brown malts are prevelant with thick caramel all balanced by a bracing bitterness provided by the hops and a minerally overtone... some hop flavor meld well with a low yeasty fruitiness and some fig hints... very complex and gains more as it approaches room temperature.

Really fairly thick backbone to balance the high ABV.. again reminds me of a BW brewed by a German... This may be the first time I've had this one, I always seem to pass over it when I see it in the cooler... I know I've had at least 1-2 other Uerige beers over the years, but I think I would remember this fantastic brew.

3.73/5  rDev -9.2%

On tap at Max's today.

The beer pours the expected dark hazy brown color with excellent head retention and lacing. On the nose, I get a lot of brown sugar and chocolate, but with some odd hoppy bitterness and almost a soapy componenet. The hoppy bitterness extends onto the palate - much more so then I recall when I had this beer on cask or in bottle. There is still some brown sugar and chocolate, but it's really dominated in the finish with the hoppy bitterness. It's just a bit off putting from what I normally expect in a German dopplebock. Mouthfeel is still pretty full, with a smooth, long finish. However, the alcohol is a bit more noticeable then I would like, and the bitterness, at least in this particular style of beer, is a bit obtrusive.

Interesting. I really liked this beer on cask and in bottle, but on draft, the hoppy bitterness was a bit more then I would have liked. Still a good solid beer, but not quite what I was expecting.

4.08/5  rDev -0.7%

Sampled on April 30, 2011. There was a code on the label that I simply could not read but I think it had a couple of zeroes in it. It has a gorgeous reddish-mahogany brown pour with a long-lasting, foamy head and seltzer water-like carbonation. The malt aroma is overwhelming. It is sweet like molasses and sharp like licorice. Oh, and did I say it was malty? It really tingles my tongue with its sweet malty, toffee taste and its dry bite stabbing me at the end. I also thought the bottle was kind of neat.

3.74/5  rDev -9%

11.2 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a murky brown with some yeasties. Small, short lasting head. Nice opaque colour.

S: Malt city, very dopplebock like, but with a mild ale fruit character - raisins, candied plums.

T: Very sweet malt - one of the clearest Blackstrap molasses flavours I've ever found in a beer, with heavy raisins, Pedro Ximenez sherry - sweet stuff. Good flavour, but I'm looking for some hops to balance it out, but they don't come out until the very end of the aftertaste.

M: Full-bodied, easy to drink for the amount of sugar in this. There is a drying mineral character on the back end which kept it from being cloying.

D: Certainly one of the maltiest beers I've ever had, any fan of dopplebocks or English barleywine should try this, it's kind of a hybrid, tending more towards the dopplebock side.

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%

Tall thin brown flip-top bottle, poured twice into a Frankenheim Alt glass. First pour the beer was clear, second murky.

Deep, dark reddy brown body with a lovelly velvet/silky feeling tan coloured head.

The smell was of lighty burnt malts, with some harsh chocolate blocks added to take away the charcoal thoughts my nose began to get. The aroma sweetened as the beer warmed.

The malts fill your mouth with bitterness from the burnt aspect mentioned in the smell. The alcohol then burns into the tongue and the chocolate turns into a more bitter mouthfeel than it hinted in the aromas. This adds to the impression of the beer being really bitter, which it is at first, but as your mouth dries a warming richness arrives bringing a sweeter aftertaste.

I liked it a great deal and am very pleased to have at last tasted one of these beers.

4.57/5  rDev +11.2%

A: Deep Amber-bronze with a light tan head, good retention, light lacing.

S: Initial dark fruit aroma screams Belgian Dubbel, but there's some underlying earthy hops and hints of nut bread.

T: Plenty of dark fruitiness in the flavour as well: caramelized raisins, figs & plums; Christmas cake (candied fruit, nuts, light spicing & booze and more cake-like than bready); cocoa; light earthyness, balanced bitterness. Amazing.

M: Well attenuated, moderately full body has an off-dry finish. Very well crafted.

D: WAY too drinkable for its weight, but it's not an Alt you would session.

It's a little outside the style guidelines... and I love it.

Thanks Bobsy!

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A: Color is dark brown with lots of red hues. The medium beige head is very compact - I bet I could put a quarter dollar on it, and it wouldn't sink. Dissipation is very slow and leaves rich, rich lacings.

S: Loaded with dark dried fruits; raisins and plums, but also with some cherry-kernels. Bitterness. Light citric and sour notes. Lots of malt and some bitterhops in the back. Very bready and full maltyness. Some apples.

T: Syrupy sweet, bready malt. Sour and bitterness from like cherry-kernels. Lots of dark dried fruits - tart. Some bitter hops. Red apples and pears. Some oak. Lots of floral hoppy notes. Soy-sauce.

M: Very full body, almost like molasses. Low carbonation and a long full sweet aftertaste.

O: This is a fantastic beer.

Uerige Doppelsticke from Uerige Obergärige Hausbrauerei