Uerige Doppelsticke | Uerige Obergärige Hausbrauerei

uerige.de

Style: Altbier

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-02-2005

4.08/5  rDev -0.7%

Served in a pilsner glass. Murky ruddy caramel colored with a dark beige bubbly head that rises up a half inch and settles down quickly.

Aroma of dark malt and plum, some cocoa.

Flavors of roasty malt, plum and cocoa, molasses, caramel, banana and a hint of espresso. Some charred bark in the finish, along with some hop bitterness. Very balanced, very enjoyable.

Full mouthfeel, moderate and even carbonation, a bit powdery and tanic. Very drinkable, real tasty beer.

2.44/5  rDev -40.6%

Bottle 06/04, which is either 4-2006 or 6-2004.

Tan silky head and brown color with red tints.

Tart cherries, sweet malt and caramel. A funky aromas makes me wonder. Should this alt bier smell like a Belgian brown ale? I think not, but...

For sure skunked and well past its age. Sour fruit, stale malts and moldy hops.

Good full body with ample carbonation. I found it odd that the beer still has good head and fizz when the taste has gone so bad.

Down the drain we go. I tried to let it warm and open up, but no go. Wow, that tasting was well worth the $5... NOT! I would like to try a fresh bottle as this has potential. Does not age well, but then again, most beers go to shit after a year anyway.

Note: I really need some westy to revive my hope in beer.

4.4/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Very cool looking 11.2oz bottle picked up at the Coop late last week for about $4.50.. poured into my small weizen glass.

Long Lasting creamy looking lite tan head atop a deep chesnut brew... bottle condtioned and despite my best intentions, a slight yeast haze made it into the glass.

Aroma is thick caramel and dark fruits.. rememinds me of a well aged English barleywine... definate alcohol thrown into the mix.. some spicy/earthy hop note become more evident as it warms.

Wow.. alot of things going on in this one... dark/brown malts are prevelant with thick caramel all balanced by a bracing bitterness provided by the hops and a minerally overtone... some hop flavor meld well with a low yeasty fruitiness and some fig hints... very complex and gains more as it approaches room temperature.

Really fairly thick backbone to balance the high ABV.. again reminds me of a BW brewed by a German... This may be the first time I've had this one, I always seem to pass over it when I see it in the cooler... I know I've had at least 1-2 other Uerige beers over the years, but I think I would remember this fantastic brew.

4.09/5  rDev -0.5%

.33L Brown bottle with a crock top; served in a Pilsener glass.

Pours a murky, deeply faded maple. Creamy, porous lightly tanned head that fades to an intact sheet. A few traces of condensed lacing with decent strength.

Sweet and nearly slick toasted malts with a hefty aroma of molasses. Notes of deep, milk chocolate. Aged, dark fruit in a hefty, slightly dry port.

A bready toasted malt base; sweet toffee and molasses. Raisin, plum, and fig with a mix of warming spices: nutmeg, allspice, brown sugar. A distinctive port-like alcohol character that is rejoined by a rich, semi-sweet chocolate and molasses.

Full bodied; creamy, vinous, and even slick. The alcohol presence is bold and the body nearly stands up to the flavor profile.

A big, flavorful yet balanced Doppelbock. A pleasant lager from a brewery I probably would've passed over: thankfully I didn't.

3.88/5  rDev -5.6%

11.2 oz bottle with swing top, 05/07. Pours a dark ruby with 2 cm off-white head that is mostly diminishing. Aroma is full of dark fruits, mostly raisins. Flavor is well balanced with dark fruits, maybe more dates now, and bitter hops and some citrus. Medium body, no carbonation, very light lacing, some alcohol noted as it warms. Nice beer and drinkable.

4.34/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

$4.49 for a 11.2 oz bottle at Merchants. Flip-top. Bottled on 06.04. 8.5% ABV. Pours out to a very cloudy mahogany, forming a sticky ight khaki colored head with average retention and sparse lacing. Carbonation is mild. The aroma is full of fruit...brown sugar, molasses, raisins, dates, caramel, and rum. The mouthfeel is very soft, smooth and slick with a medium-dense syrupy body. The taste is a recap of the aroma...lots of dates, figs, and raisins with an overall woody and herbal sheen. Has the suggestion of a Belgian dark strong ale and a weizenbock going on here. Peppery alcohol in the finish. Mild bitterness, and herbal at that. Semi-dry sweet dark fruits, soap, nutmeg and leather in the aftertaste.

Quite nice brew...memorable, easy to drink, and bold. I would buy this one again, but at this price, it's more a curiosity and not a stable.

3.92/5  rDev -4.6%

Appearance: Pours with half-finger head that quickly settles into a quarter-finger. White color. Lacing is very spotty, and fairly transient. Body is an extremely dark brown that resists light.

Smell: Nuts, deep roasted malts, raisins, figs, vinousity. Some woody funk. Alcohol. Pepper, basil or thyme, can't discern which. Overall very Old Ale-like, and fairly bold and strong. Not too subtle.

Taste: Raisins, vinousity, mild bittering hops. Yeasty funk. Wood. Dates. A fairly strong mix of flavors, but it does a good job at balance.

Mouthfeel: A little flat, but still bodied enough to make a difference.

Drinkability: Not too hard to drink, surprisingly, given its strength.

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

the doppelsticke tastes just like the sticke, but stronger and warmer going down, with about the same drinkability. slightly better but only different in that it pours alittle redder, and the nose is stronger. i like this better than the sticke, it has a stronger taste and warms the soul a little more, good beer

4.82/5  rDev +17.3%

I must admit that I purchased this beer based off of the appearance of the bottle, lame I know. I can read about 2 or 3 words on the front label. I guess this doesn’t have any effect on how this beer will taste. I guess curiosity got the best of me so I hope that I am not disappointed, not that I think I will be.

Gorgeous dark ruby red in color, with a tall off white head that stands for awhile. Good lacing on the side of my glass as well. Appears clear, with little visible carbonation bubbles. I must say that out of the bottle this adult beverage sparks my curiosity as much as the bottle itself.

Smells nice and malty, with hints of dark fruits, cherries, and figs come to mind. Hop aroma is present but not too strong, on the herbal, earthy side. Slight alcohol aroma in the nose. I was in the mood for a fairly sweet malty brew, and by the smell I think I choose the right one.

One word comes to mind upon taking my initial few sips, delicious. Not disappointed in the least in the taste department. I do not like an overly sweet brew and this one was perfect. The fruit malt combination was perfect. The herbal/earthy hops lend a generous hand but not drawing much attention at all. Some alcohol bite and warmth. Finishes nice as well.

As expected, mouthfeel is great as well. A great full bodied beer that is not too “heavy”. Carbonation works well with the other elements of the brew. I know it sounds schizophrenic of me, but this beer talks to me. It causes the words “drink me” to be uttered from my own mouth. MAKE IT STOP!

I am sure I do not need to go into overall drinkability after reading the above comments on this great Alt. I think it was a great easy drink. I would love to pick up a case or two or three of this wonderful nectar.

3.55/5  rDev -13.6%

Poured into a standard pint glass. Beer poured a brown color with a thick tan head that quickly diminished. Smells of sweet chocolate and caramel along with some spices and fruit.

The taste was similar, sweet with a slight bitterness. Chocolate and caramel dominate with a fruit and spice aftertaste. There is a slightly noticeable alcohol burn to it.

The beer is very smooth. It looked more carbonated than it felt. It felt like silk (if beer can feel like silk). It caught me way off guard.

I wasn't overly impressed with it, though I would try it again, but perhaps one with less alcohol. The alcohol burn and taste really detracted from the overall experience for me.

4.27/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured from an 11.2oz swing-top bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep brown color with a thin off-white head that leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of caramelized malts, dark fruit, brown sugar, spices and a touch of hops.

T: The taste is very malty and sweet with flavors of caramel, brown sugar, dark fruit and some spice. The alcohol burn is pretty significant but not overly strong. There’s decent and complimentary hops presence that provides some balance. I’ve had this one sitting for a while (somewhere between 6-10 months I think) and it seems like it has taken on an English Barley Wine flavor to it. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Tasty, goes down easily possibly a little to easy for a beer at this ABV level, not too filling, good representation of style, nice strong kick, this beer is certainly unique as it has a lot more sweetness and packs a little bit more punch than most Altbiers. I could see myself drinking a few and it’s an excellent beer overall, but it’s not one that you would want to pound down for a whole evening.

4.19/5  rDev +1.9%

11.2 oz brown swing top bottle poured into a shaker pint. Hazy dark copper, appeared to be bottle conditioned. Two fingers of fine white bubbled head.
Lots of malt in the aroma, some noble hops, and a little alcohol.
Deep malty flavor, plenty of sweetness. Caramel/molasses.
Nice dose of hop bitterness to balance it out. Medium to full bodied.
A really unique beer, very drinkable.

4.57/5  rDev +11.2%

Pours a dark chestnut with a head that fades pretty quickly. Some lacing. The smell has lots of dry malt up front. some fresh grain, wasa crackers, and powderey chocolate. The taste is similar, but with lots more chocolate- very big, dry, and smooth. A nicely integrated malt bomb with the alcohol well hidden and quite creamy as well. Delicious.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottled May 2007. I'm saving up growlers for my first homebrew this winter or spring and I've never had this one before. I was missing out.

Holding this one up to the light in my Gaffel stange, just the tiniest bit of amber can be seen through the darkness. Head comes up about 3/4" of an inch shy from the top of the glass, with a nice mix of bubble sizes and decent retention.

Sweet caramel and malts abound in the aroma and give the whole thing a charming presence. How inviting.

This one has that fine chalky maltiness of a good doppelbock with a a bit more bitterness. Fruity and a little bit of toffee here and there, and properly sweet up front. Very tart, probably the roasted malts. Finish is well rounded with some charming hop bitterness. Swish it over the whole of your tongue a few times to get the whole flavor.. It really works quite well and no two sips go down quite the same way. For me, this is always the sign of a good beer.

Be forewarned, the roasted malt taste will linger on your tongue for a while with this one.

This is only my second altbier and, while the first was unremarkable, this one has definitely piqued my interest in the style. Keep 'em coming.

3.53/5  rDev -14.1%

Served into my Mad Elf tulip glass from an 11,2 oz brown bottle with a long slender neck flip top.

Very mirky,cider-like color with a reddish hue with a sudsy ring of foam a slight swirl gives it a thin creamy coating. Extra tiny bubbles stringing of the sides of the glass.

Intense malted aromas heavy carmell with a burnt edge. The booziness makes the senses tingle. Earthy with a freshly mowed grassiness.

Heavy malted tastes,lot of very sweet burnt carmell,toffee,very good balance with strong tea-like bitterness. Astrigent with an earthy/mineral feel and very boozy.

Full/thick mouthfeel,syrupy. Complex tastes more drinkable than i would have thought from first impression. Still a sipper,on the filling side. One of these is enough for me.

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

A- Dark hazy amber, thin head.

S- Caramel, malty, dark fruit, faint wood.

T- Somewhat oakey? Astringent, fruity, faint caramel, vanilla.

M- Good body, crisp carbonation. Slightly astringent aftertaste.

D- A good dark alt, tho I don't recall the astringency in previous samplings. We'll have to compare these notes next time.

4.37/5  rDev +6.3%

A- very nice. I poured into a lambic glass but hey, big tan head. deep brown, slightly red in the light.
S- yummy. very sweet, honey, dark fruits, brown sugar.
T-carmalized, slightly burnt, dark fruits, honey, brown sugar.
M-ok, the sweetness could become cloying, medium body. I could always go for less carbonation so...
D- one was good

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

Uerige- Doppelsticke

Appearance- Slighty hazy deep red with a thick tan head.
Smell- Strong dried fruits. Plum, raisin, and cherry.
Taste- Big fruit flavors. Raisin, fig, prune, and cherry with a light licorice touch. Thick and malty throughout. A slight Marmite flavor in the end?!
Mouthfeel- Sweet and slighty cloying. Reminded me of a fresh brewed Barleywine.

Overall- $3.99 for a bottle and worth it. I highly suggest aging this. My bottle was bottled on 05.07 and it was sweet and fruity (4 months in). Give it time to ripen.

4.15/5  rDev +1%

distinctive 11.2 oz swingtop brown bottle

freshness dated - At 3 months old, I don't think I've had one of these that wasn't a year old before. We'll see how it is when fresher.

Pours a nice clear dark brown color. The head is slow arriving, but eventually reaches nearly an inch in height of startlingly white color, fading quickly to an uneven cap. Spotty lacing over a good portion of the glass.

Nose is nice and rich. Plenty of caramel and dark fruit. Smells warming and sweet and complex. Probably poured a bit too cold, an assumption that is confirmed up as the aroma becomes even more rich as it warms.

While the nose is a bit better fresh, this particular bottle falls barely short of the others I've had in taste. This is due solely to the prevalent alcohol which if the past is any indication will mostly disappear over time. Still, this is a damn fine tasting beverage. Plenty of caramel and toffee here, and some spiciness that I don't think is just the alcohol making its presence known. Bittering hops I hadn't noticed at all before show up in the drying finish.

Pretty light though there is a lot packed into the body. Carbonation is on the light side of medium but still a bit higher than I remember from aged bottles. Drinkability is pretty high, though this falls short of the near lethal drinkability of previous experiences.

4.18/5  rDev +1.7%

A nice beer, brown in color. Has that distinctive german aroma and malt flavor that is unique to German beers. Stronger than the Sticke alt but the hop level was adjusted so it is not sweet, like you get in a dopplebock versus a bock. Pretty fresh beer and it had just arrived in the state and was new on the shelf at Papago Brewing along with the sticke alt.

3.03/5  rDev -26.3%

I mostly bought this for the supercool German hand grenade style bottle with the long neck and swing top. Sexy. The bottle, incidentally, reads "bottled on 06 04", which, being German, likely means April of 06, but who can say for sure?

Pours a hazy, red-orange. The head is fast fading and off white. Few bubbles in the glass and some fine particulate suspended in the ale.

As it warms, the glass surrenders notes of sweet malts, candy sugar, raisins and alcohol. Very sugary. The smell gets more intense over time, eventually becoming a sugary mess that is a bit sickly. Not my thing, really.

Taste is interesting… a Doppelbockish malt upfront; lots of raisins and higher fusel alcohols – sort of like a watered down Samichlaus, very alcoholic, the 8.5% seems more like 10%… not terribly complex and sort of watery, with a big boozy malt presence and little else… minor harsh citrus hop bitterness, but it’s all very vague.

Mouthfeel is thin. A fine, sharp carbonation gives this a bit of a kick. Aftertaste is dark malts and alcohol with some sugary caramel sweetness and a bittersweet, citrus rind flavor. Finishes dry.

I didn't like this at first, but it eventually grew a bit on me. Was it to style? Likely. Did I enjoy it? Only marginally. Uerige Doppelsticke is just too sweet for my general consumption, but it's interesting and would probably be a lot better if I wasn’t drinking it on a sweaty 85 degree night in South Carolina. Try it and form your own opinion. At the least you’ll come away with a swell swing top bottle.

4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

Bottled on: 06.04 / Code: 05.06

Not sure if this was bottled in June of '04 or April 6 of '05 or '06...it probably doesn't make much difference, this being the "barleywine" of German beers.

Beautiful dark copper color with an awesomely thick, rocky tan head. Lace cakes on the glass as the head slowly drops. Wonderfully complex malty aromas: molasses, cherries, berries, tobacco, oak, toasted caramel...excellent smelling stuff. The flavor follows the direction of the aroma, a balance of malts and fruit finishing with a charred alcoholic note. More of a spicy, herbal feel to it as the hops start to come through. Medium bodied, slick, and a bit drying. A slight warming sting is starting to develop in my throat.

This really is sort of like a German barleywine...really not like anything I've ever had. On a side note, I find it interesting they brew this just for the American market.

4.34/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This is one of the beers I recieved from jdoolin in a trade. This will be my first Altbier. Poured into my De Garre snifter. Enjoying this one after seeing the 5th installment of Harry Potter.

A - Pours a murky deep brown, with a minimal head, that lasted fairly well by the stream of bubbles that kept rising from this one.

S - This beer has a very strong malty smell. Very fruity smell, with figs and plums.

T - Mice malt sweetness envelopes the tounge right away, but not overly sweet. This beer has a hot finish with a big alcohol presence (that is actually quite nice) followed by a surpising amount of hop presence. A lingering fruitness is present as well. An outstanding tasting beer.

M - A nice amout of carbonation, perhaps just right for this particular beer. At first it seems a very creamy beer, however the slightly prickly carbonation comes alive in the end.

D - What a great beer. If I can find this one again I will definitely pick it up. As I mentioned this was my first Alt; my first percetption reminded me of a Doppelbock fermented with ale yeast with a bit more of a hop presence (a damn nice combination, in my opinion).

Thanks jdoolin for adding this one to the trade, it was most welcomed!

3.83/5  rDev -6.8%

Bottle courtesy of Plucier: Poured a dark brown color beer with a huge foamy head with good retention and some good lacing. Aroma of chocolate and dry raisins is enjoyable but definitely not what I was expecting. Taste is comprised of sweet malt with some nice notes of chocolates and dry fruits with a somewhat dry finish. Well done overall but definitely not what I was expecting for and Alt but again it is style that I don’t really know too well.

4.36/5  rDev +6.1%

Bottled 06/2004

A: Pours a dark brown with a tan bubbly head. The head sustains at 1/2" and leaves thick, heavy lacing.

S: Sweet, malty smell with strong aromas of caramel and molasses.

T: A sweet malty character imparts caramel flavors with a prominent roasted nut taste. Balanced nicely with a dry, vegetal hop flavor. The alcohol is quite noticeable and gives off quite a bit of heat.

M: Full-bodied, thick, and syrupy, the beer coats and sticks all over the mouth. Light carbonation.

D: The intensity of the flavor makes this one a sipper, and I think that 11.2 oz is going to be about all of this that I could drink in one sitting. Still, this one is damn good and one to look for.

Uerige Doppelsticke from Uerige Obergärige Hausbrauerei