Neon Gypsy | DuClaw Brewing Company

Neon GypsyNeon Gypsy
3.67/5
Good
Neon GypsyNeon Gypsy

DuClaw Brewing Company
Maryland, United States
duclaw.com

Style: American IPA

Neon Gypsy, our 6.5% abv India Pale Ale, is medium-bodied and clear with a thin white head and crisp mouthfeel. A vagabond blend of 7 different hops dominates with grapefruit and citrus flavors and aromas, accented by notes of pine, that continue to roam your palate long after its clean, hoppy finish. Disconnect, and you will find your way.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 69 | Ratings: 466
3.52/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into a pint glass. packaged 3/24/17, so over a year old here.

pale amber/yellow body with small but persistent white head leaving decent lacing.

somewhat malty aroma.

malt taste with merely the suggestion of bitterness. not unpleasant tasting though.

mouth between medium and full, finish slightly sweet and a hint of bitterness.

overall, another age related ipa casualty. I think i enjoy these a little more than your average hophead since i'm, British and grew up with more balanced ipas. I will review this one if I come across a fresher one and its significantly different.

3.41/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I got a bottle of this off the single shelf at Giant Eagle just down the street. It poured a clear copper with thin white head that is not leaving any lace. The scent is a masking sweetness. The taste is a conflict between sweet malt and bitter hop. The mouthfeel is lighter in body with good carbonation. Overall it's ok.

3.85/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From the bottle, it pours a nice amber with a modest head that soon diminishes to a thin layer and then a solid ring. Some lacing as you enjoy it. Definite citrus in the nose. The taste is nicely bitter with grapefruit. Yum!

2.28/5  rDev -37.9%

First off, I really don't like IPAs, and I haven't had many, so I don't really have anything to compare this with. The only reason I'm drinking this is because it came in a sampler pack and I don't want to waste it.

The color is a light amber with a head that mostly dissipated but leaves quality lacing. There's plenty of citrus in the smell with a lot of hop. As for the taste, as I said above, I really don't like IPAs and think that they all taste like bug spray. This is no exception.

3.94/5  rDev +7.4%

Much better than I expected. Nice citrus, fruity malts, and definite blood orange in the taste, but not bitter. medium body and moderate carbonation.

A nice summer beer.

3.54/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: crystal clear; deep gold in color; 1 finger ivory head that receded to a very thin cap; very nice lacing;

S: blood orange and pine;

T: blood orange is predominant from start to finish; a little sweet - virtually no bitterness;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation; lightly dry finish;

O: aroma wasn't very interesting; flavor had much more blood orange than I expected; I wouldn't have connected this with an IPA if it wasn't labeled as such;

3.81/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep golden brown color, with a short white head that fades quickly and leaves a spotty lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains earthy hops, citrus and caramelized malts.

T: The taste starts out sweet with flavors of caramel and citrus. Then an earthy but not over-powering hops bitterness comes in. The malt character is hearty but not too heavy and brings a decent balance. The after-taste is slightly hoppy and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: A little tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, decent kick, good representation of style, it’s a solid IPA but there are better choices available within the style.

3.57/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I've said it before and I'll say it again I'll say it every goddamn time I review a beer from this place: their branding is horrific. Like a bad-boy wrestler's outfit in a former soviet state. Like a facebook meme posted by your adult cousin who's always talking about personal responsibility and badass motorcycles but he's been living with his folks and driving a dodge omni ever since he got arrested for selling counterfeit batteries in the Jack in the Box parking lot.

Aesthetics are a bad taint, man. They influence our senses.

And that's my only thought as to why this beer is slightly underrated, other than maybe that it's been a while since I've had a decent IPA.

Its pour is amber and clear with a small head, maybe a little bit flat but nothing gross looking.

Smells bright and biscuity. The hops up front are nice and citrusy, pretty contemporary, and then the malt finish is a little old school.

Uhh--oh, check my earlier comment. As I acclimate to the flavor profile after a while away from IPAs, it's actually pretty tame. Well put together, but tame. The cereal malt is a little too brewpubish, and it kind of clashes with the hops. So maybe it's not that well put together. I--I don't know. It's okay. Nothing offputting. But the first sniff and sip were really good and then about halfway down the pint flaws were popping up at me every which way.

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

As I continue to winnow through the Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody, I am finding beers that I do not even remember purchasing! In fact, I have so many DuClaw beers hanging around that I am embarking on a horizontal tasting for the next few days. This should be interesting.

From the bottle: "Unplug with this golden IPA infused with grapefruit, citrus, and notes of pine by a vagabond blend of seven hops that continues to roam your palate long after the beer's crisp finish. Pop the top, it's time to ... DISCONNECT!"; "Respect_the_Fluid".

Knowing that this beer was fairly close in the rotation, I scored a fresh bottle yesterday at one of our local supermarkets. Pop!ping this cap meant that I could perform a no-holds-barred pour, which I precisely what I did. It was actually kind of exciting to watch the head foam up in a massive, pillowy way, only to finally settle into three fingers of dense, foamy, tawny head with good retention. Color was Amber to Deep Amber/Light Copper (SRM = > 9, < 13) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a fresh dank quality, like somebody had scored & then dumped the baggie into the boil. Very resinous, kind of minty, slightly citrusy and my hophead mouth was beginning to water. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste had a bitterness that bordered on oversaturation. I was getting more of a lemony-grapefruit citrusiness from the hops then any other flavor, but it had a pithy, rind-like bitterness that was not being offset by the accompanying piney mintiness. Finish was dry, but by that, I mean that it had a bitter astringency that left an unpleasant dryness in my throat. This is one of those instances where too much of a good thing is ... TOO MUCH!

3.41/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Picked up a sixer the other day at the overrated Pinky and Pepe's in Gaithersburg. It took Pinky herself several minutes to figure out how to use her own gift card (a birthday gift from my wife, she doesn't know I don't really go to that place). Anyhoo, this pours a solid head above an amber hue with thick, impressive lace. Nose is balanced with caramel, medicinal hops, and a touch of booze.

The taste is a reach for balance too but there is too much underlying sweetness and not enough hop bitterness to avoid this being a collision of flavors instead of a melange. The texture is also lacking, going watery when the flavor most needs to stand up. I just feel like we shouldn't have to suffer subpar IPA in this day and age. Might be better in a can but will avoid in the future.

3.69/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Pours crystal clear and copper colored, with a two fingered head; nice retention; splashes of lacing hang around

Smell: Resinous and dank; primarily in a piney and oniony direction

Taste: The caramel malt base is quickly subsumed by the bitter blast of resinous, piney hops; aspirin-like oniony bitterness builds through the middle and lingers into the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Overall: Quite a range of hops were used but the Amarillo overwhelms

2.72/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

12 oz bottle into an IPA glass.

Beautiful, slightly hazy, deep amber color with thick off-white head. Heavy lacing.

Not much aroma but what is there is piney.

Taste is all hop. Tastes like pine-sol smells. No balance.

Moderately carbonated, medium mouth feel.

Overall, an ok IPA. Wouldn't go out of my way to get it but would drink again.

1.38/5  rDev -62.4%

This beer made it easy for me to be the designated driver last night. After drinking a "Vermont IPA" from Vanish Beer described as a beer trying to be like Heady Topper (haven't head HT but enjoyed the beer - unfortunately the keg tapped before I could get a second) this was a sweet, malty, cloying, boring mess. A few sips and I was done.

3.13/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12 oz bottle dated 7/20/2016

For a fresh IPA this thing is dull as hell. Malt bomb that might have been a good IPA 10 years ago. Things have changed for the better. Avoid this brew.

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: The beer is relatively clear light amber in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a short off white head that quickly died down, leaving only a collar around the edge of the glass and specks of bubbles covering the surface.
S: Moderate aromas of citrus and pine resin hops are present in the nose along with notes of biscuit malts. There is a moderate amount of bitterness.
T: The taste follows the smell, having flavors of citrusy and piney hops
M: It feels medium-bodied and crisp on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: With seven different hop varieties, this IPA has a lot of flavors going on, but it's the citrusy and piney hops that seem to stand out the most.

4.78/5  rDev +30.2%

DuClaw Brewing Company Neon Gypsy IPA 6.5% ABV, 55 IBU
Look: Orange with a white very fluffy head with lots of lacing. I love the way it tastes with a good head on it. The head stays for quite a while by the way. There is some flakey sediments in the glass, not sure why, yeast? Ah, just read that they use torrified wheat which is good for head retention and it makes it a wheaty sort of beer. Also, they use flaked rye and dextrin.
Smell: regular citrusy IPA smells here, citrus hops, pine, spicey bitterness.
Taste: Flavors follow the nose as we have citrus, pine and spicey hop bite that is very flavorfull and bitter with a dry finish.
Mouth: Light body that has alot there with the 7 varieties of hops and good malt character.
Overall: I am not a big IPA fan, but this one is perfect for that crowd. The ones that enjoy great flavor in a beer and usually drink APA's. Actually, with the lower ABV's and the lower IBU's you could almost really call this an APA. It does have the sharp biterness, but I really enjoy it in this beer. They also used 7 kinds of hops, so I guess you almost have to classify as an IPA. It is like alot of other beers I have had, but I do really enjoy this one, alright!

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A- burnt orange with a clear color. minimal head that runs off quickly.

S- biscuit malts and faint citrus hops

F- quite the citrus hoppiness here. it overpowers any malts in the beer.

M-hoppy hoppy and hoppy.....dry and feels like im eating the hop

O- too IPA-yyyy and i like IPA's very dry at times but an average beer.

3.77/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On draft at Doma Nna rohu in Greenwich Village, NY.

Pleasantly heavy on the hops and certainly puckered your mouth. Certainly a thickness to it which meant it didn't slide down quickly. Would happily drink again but it didn't quite have the balance that would have left me wishing I'd had a second.

3.29/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

12oz. bottle served in a SA Perfect Pint. Pkg 5/8/16 printed on the neck of the bottle. Pours a translucent copper with a pillowy, one inch, bright white head that eventually settles into a frothy slick. Nose is fairly dull and unassuming and expresses light floral notes, a trace of biscuit malt and a feint metallic quality. Taste consistent with nose; however, malt is more assertive in the flavor profile. Mouthfeel is light-medium in body with a lively carbonation. Overall, fair to middling.

4.43/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I found this to be an excellent Bal'mer brew. DuClaw just started showing up in my neighborhood this past winter, so I tried one that didn't have peanut butter. It is very bitter, which my taste buds love.

4.21/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Neon Gypsy has a thick, off-white head, an amber-copper color, lots of tan chunks throughout, and fairly heavy lacing left behind on the glass. The aroma is of spicy malt, some citrus, some caramel, and hop resin. Taste is of sweet, white bread, white bread crust, peppery rye, strong, yet, not harsh, piney hop bitterness, and shades of grapefruit and citrus. Mouthfeel is high medium and sticky, and Neon Gypsy finishes dry and puckering. A full-flavored, but pleasant ale.

RJT

3.93/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle served in a lager glass.

This IPA is has a very light haze in an orange-amber body. The off-white head is large, very durable, and leaves lots of sticky lacing on the glass. The aroma carries nearly as much malt and hops, but the flavor is very much hop dominated. A mix of hops with pine, tropical fruit, floral, grassy and herbal elements all present. Medium bitterness.

Lively medium-high carbonation in a near medium body.

3.36/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pretty good IPA purchased partially, I admit on the name and label. I hate succumbing to such enticements as they are often disappointing novelties. (coughing behind my hand 'horny goat'). I was in a state east of where I live and thought I was buying local brew, but it wasn't. Not mad, I like the bitter and piney. I don't taste much citrus compared to today's current citrus-heavy IPA's. Would certainly try it again when I can find it on tap. Nice smell and taste overall to me, on the good side of average.

3.89/5  rDev +6%

Bottle into pint glass. Pours a deep gold with an off-white head. Initial impression is citrus and pine resin, with a somewhat bitter finish. Moderate carbonation; medium mouthfeel with a bit of stickiness - both about right for this style. Decent IPA but not outstanding.

2.32/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 1.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

I must have gotten a bad one, but the beer had floaties in it, with a strong biting not-so-great flavor. Almost no head. Definitely wouldn't drink again if I thought this was how it was supposed to be. Got it in a "Beer of the Month" club shipment, and I like IPAs so will give it another go. Addendum: I used my Fizzinator on the 2nd one. Not much of an improvement. Really just not my taste.

Neon Gypsy from DuClaw Brewing Company