For Pete's Sake Imperial Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter | DuClaw Brewing Company

For Pete's Sake Imperial Chocolate Peanut Butter PorterFor Pete's Sake Imperial Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter
3.94/5
Very Good

DuClaw Brewing Company
Maryland, United States
duclaw.com

Style: American Porter

Added by WCKDVBZ on 09-18-2015

3.68/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Would have been better with a tad less abv

3.86/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip.

Pours a dark brown nearly black body with a big 3 finger brown head that reduces to leave good lacing.

Aromas are a little faint with sweet malt and light chocolate and a tad nutty. On the tongue is chocolate syrup and light peanut butter with a bit of booziness. Medium carbonation.

I liked sweet baby Jesus better - I feel like it’s the perfect balance, and this may have pushed it past that.

3.65/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I might need to try another for a truly formed opinion but at present it was a little too boozy and not as substantial as I had hoped. Of course I did have a Ten Fidy beforehand which could have seriously downplayed Pete.

4.06/5  rDev +3%

Nothing like I was expecting for an imperial. Roasted peanut butter for sure. Chocolate forward taste. Good balance on carbonation. Not too sweet at all.... The alcohol is a bit over whelming I think. But over all a very good different porter.

4.14/5  rDev +5.1%

For Pete's Sake, indeed! This is my new favorite porter...

Full disclosure - I am a DuClaw fan. Most of their stuff I love, the majority I really, really like, and there's one of two that were underwhelming. But this offering I really, really love. Black liquid in the glass with a thin tan foam, decent staying power. The smell is everything it's advertised to be: Chocolate, peanut butter, strong taste of roasted malts, and just a hint of booziness. Mouthfeel was forward-carbonated, but it did tamp down as it warmed. This released the creamy texture that such a brew should exude and it did it well. A strong chocolate-forward taste, I really couldn't pull out the peanut butter, but the booziness at 9% ABV did not get in the way (though you definitely feel it after a while.) An outstanding beer, my new favorite porter...

4.19/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.9/5  rDev -1%

3.98/5  rDev +1%

12oz bottle into a pint glass. Bottled 10/17/17, so 3 months old.

black with hints of brown body. small but persistent tan head leaving decent lacing.

aroma is pleasing, faintly of peanut butter, strong & malty

good peanut butter taste, faint hints of chocolate & coffee.

mouth is a little lighter than i would have liked, finish faintly sweet & peanut.

overall, a decent enough porter from duclaw

3.99/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.83/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I bought a bottle of this at a beer store in concord , OH. It poured an opaque dark with very thin/non existent head that is not leaving any lace. The scent was peanut butter brittle. The taste was peanut brittle. The mouthfeel is lighter in body with good carbonation. Overall it's an interesting beer.

3.31/5  rDev -16%

4.05/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured a deep brown/black in color with a small thumb's worth of head. Retention is short and there is very little lacing.

Smell comes across peanut butter strong. I am impressed with how true to form this is. Then I get chocolate and some roasts.

Taste is a blast of peanut butter up front, then chocolate and coffee. Impressed with the blending of flavors and how well they all work together.

The feel of this is quite interesting. I think it is a fullish beer, that coats the mouth, much like peanut butter would. The carbonation is medium and the is little sign of the ABV.

I am pleasantly surprised with this beer. I had no idea whether the peanut butter would be something I enjoyed or not. Turns out, yes, I did enjoy it.

4.07/5  rDev +3.3%

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

3.88/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter glass.
L - pours a dark brown, almost black, with a tan head.
S - smells of chocolate, peanut butter and booze.
T - Lots of peanut butter and chocolate. Some warming booziness on the finish.
F - Medium body and carbonation.
O - It's a nice Porter, if you like a semi-sweet, dessert-like Porter. I liked it.
I wanted to add, this beer gets more nutty as it warms up.

3.88/5  rDev -1.5%

2.93/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

3.84/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

12oz bottle poured into glass.
Look: Black with a medium tan head.
Smell: Malt, dark chocolate, and peanut butter.
Taste: dark chocolate, and peanut butter.
Feel: a little heavy due to abv.
Overall: an improvement on sweet baby jesus

A very dark black color with a slight head and some lacing. Aroma has distinct hints of chocolate, peanut butter and coffee. The taste is a somewhat distinctive chocolate, peanut butter and coffee flavor. A nicely balanced light bodied beer with little carbonation. Nicely balanced porter with some distinctive flavors.

3.72/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.91/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

DuClaw Brewing Company "For Pete's Sake!"
12 fl. oz brown glass bottle, "PKG101217 #CBCRBD"
$2 @ Giant, Havertown, PA

Notes via stream of consciousness: I could swear that I've had this beer before. I must be confusing it with something else... ah, I'm thinking of "Sweet Baby Jesus", this one is actually bigger. So OK, it's poured an opaque brown-black body beneath a frothy then creamy head of brown. The aroma is distinctly chocolatey with a bit of peanut butter and coffee behind it. It's one of the most chocolatey beers I've ever smelled for sure, and the peanut butter and coffee are nice as well. There's also some yeasty fruitiness, but no hops, as would be expected. I should note at this point that coffee is not an ingredient in this beer, that's their "Sweet Baby Java", the coffee notes here are just from the malt. Moving on, please don't let me down... ahh, yes, the flavor delivers, thank you. It's richly chocolatey, and the strength is obvious which might come back to bite it in the ass, and I'm finding the yeasty fruitiness as well. It's a nice, big, rich beer. But where is the peanut butter? I'm getting coffee in the finish, along with some residual bitterness and alcohol, but no peanut butter. Let me give it another shot. I've actually drank about a quarter of the bottle right now but maybe it just needed to warm up a bit... hmmmm, I'm still not finding it anywhere other than in the aroma. I'm sure it's just an extract, and so is the chocolate by the way, so maybe it's just there for aroma. Back to the alcohol, it's still there, that doesn't go away, but I've gotten more used to it. Still, I'm going to have to call it a distraction at this point as it's just too strong for a beer of 9% abv. Had it been 11 or 12% that might be a different story, but it's not. On the other hand you wouldn't have that bright yeasty fruitiness if it hadn't been fermented so warm, although most people would probably prefer their chocolate peanut butter porters without those fruity notes; I, however, like them. Moving on to the mouthfeel to wrap this up, it's medium in body with a fine-bubbled median carbonation. You might think it would be thicker but it's actually been pretty well fermented out. Looking back, the head retention was better than average, and the lacing was pretty nice, mainly large spots and splashes, but decent enough. So, overall, where does it stand? #1, it's a big rich beer which gives it some points. #2, the aroma is great. #3, the flavor is pretty good but it does have some flaws which hurt it. I think this is one of those beers where you might have one every so often and that's it; and I wouldn't necessarily call it strictly a dessert beer, although winding down with it after a meal seems like a good idea. I don't think I'd have this out at the pub with the lads, it's too strong and I'd miss out on some of the aroma which is the best part. I'll put the numbers in and let the score lie where it does.

4.56/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

For Pete's Sake Imperial Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter from DuClaw Brewing Company