The PastryArchy: Tiramisu Imperial Stout

SCORE
n/a
Notes:
Reviews: 5 | Ratings: 8 | Log in to view all ratings and sort

I don't know to me it was just a really good coffee imperial stout I didn't get much sweetness or chocolate. A fairly good coffee imperial stout though.

4.09/5  rDev +3.3%

DuClaw Brewing Company "The PastryArchy: Tiramisu Imperial Stout"
16 fl. oz. can. The coding on the bottom of the can is mostly illegible but appears to read "9/11/19".
$3.99 @ Total Wine & More, Cherry Hill, NJ

Notes via stream of consciousness: It could have a bigger head on it but it looks good. The body is an opaque black with just the slightest sliver of ruby showing at the bottom of the glass when held to the light, and the head is a light brown.
The aroma is like dark, semi-roasty bittersweet chocolate. The flavor is much richer with a dark fudge brownie note, and some cold black coffee. It's sweet but not overly sweet, and it is of course a dessert beer so sweetness is expected. There is some bitterness coming through, and it finishes mainly dry with some roastiness and a light touch of vanilla lingering. It appears to be one of those rare dessert beers that you could drink at almost any time. I wouldn't have it on a night out with the lads playing darts but I certainly wouldn't reserve it for after dinner or special occasions. OK let me finish up... the body is medium and it has a low carbonation which, it's just dawned on me, is why the head dropped so quickly and why it hasn't left any real lacing to speak of. It's smooth, and quite a few dessert beers go for that; and so the lack of head is a trade-off that's probably worth it. I was thinking ahead and going to say that I felt the head was the only issue with it but now I've resolved that in my mind and I'm OK with it. It'll still score poorly but it all makes sense. I could go for another one of these except that I know it's fairly strong, and in fact I can feel it a little bit even though I'm only about halfway through. The alcohol never stands out though. How strong is it? 8.5%, that's not too bad. Nicely done.
Review #6,758

4.27/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a can into a pilsner glass (couldn't find my snifter). This might have encouraged the huge production of tan head which took a few minutes to fade. Nearly black-brown opaque color. Smells of chocolate and some creaminess, so a bit like tiramisu. Background taste is malt, but the chocolatey-tiramisu flavor really is quite obvious. Thankfully not too sweet though. Feel is light-to-medium with not too much carbonation. Excellent dessert stout!

3.86/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Decent head production and retention.

Nose features primarily coffee-like roast at refrigerator temperature, but as it warms, more and more sweet dark tones emerge, including brown sugar, chocolate, caramel, cake, and vanilla. Plenty of coffee, naturally.

Up front, caramel, brown sugar, red grapes, cream, and espresso present in a moderately sweet package (but nothing like you might expect given the name and the series); middle shifts to a moderately bitter and roasty presentation of dark chocolate and roasted barley casings; nutty second half; strong earthy finish of nuts, coffee, and bitter chocolate.

Slightly fizzy and thin mouthfeel; consistent with the other PastryArchy stout I have tried. Very lively; moderate sting.

Not nearly as sweet as you might fear, and actually a very, very tasty brew overall. I was very disappointed in the only other PastryArchy offering I have tried (Vietnamese coffee), but this one is much better.

3.62/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a black color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of coffee, tiramisu, light sweetness. Taste is dominated by coffee, some tiramisu in the background, very little sweetness or alcohol. Feels medium/full bodied in the mouth and overall is a solid beer, but not as good as other beers from the PastryArchy series.

The PastryArchy: Tiramisu Imperial Stout from DuClaw Brewing Company