Colossus | DuClaw Brewing Company

DuClaw Brewing Company
Maryland, United States
duclaw.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Brewed in 2006, 2011, and again in 2014 to push the limits of our own skills and imagination, Colossus is dark amber in color and full-bodied with a perceptively sweet flavor profile accented by notes of apple, and a surprisingly tame alcohol presence on the palate in light of its staggering 17.3% abv. This astounding alcohol content is achieved through fermentation alone; no alcohol is introduced at packaging nor it distilled. Multiple grains are used in conjunction with three different yeast strains to produce a beer that simply defies classification… and most laws of nature. One sip of this behemoth brew and you’ll agree: Sometimes size does matter!

2011 Batch - 21.92% ABV
2014 Batch - 17.3% ABV

Added by Kegatron on 04-01-2009

Reviews: 60 | Ratings: 204
1.36/5  rDev -63.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A- Pours a odd murky reddish brown color with a very thin head. Pretty much no head just a few bubbles and no lacing.

S- A bit of darker fruits, incredibly sweet smelling and alcohol.

T- BAM! Smashed in the face with sweetness. A totally stupid amount of sweetness. That's all there is to this beer.

M- Medium in body with a syrup like feel to it. Carbonation was pretty low.

O- I'm struggling to drink this glass. Way too sweet.

1.72/5  rDev -53.6%

Yikes! Not what I expected at all. Tastes like corn syrup with maple flavor added. If Aunt Jemima brewed a beer I imagine this is what I think it would taste like. The beer has good carbonation and a nice look to it but there is way too much unfermented sugar left in this beast. The reason the alcohol is hidden so well is because of the sugar. I don't have a problem with sweet beers either...this one just missed the mark for me.

2.14/5  rDev -42.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Poured into a snifter on 6/1/12

A second contribution from Buggy. Keep 'em coming old bean.

A) Burnt, rusty brown. Not much head, of course.

S) Super sugary. Mostly burnt molasses with some maple syrup. Booze heat. Some caramel and, for some reason, vanilla.

T) This tastes truly sugary. What the hell? I've never had a beer this sugary. Molasses, caramel, cane sugar, high fructose corn syrup. Sugar candy s**t.

M) Thick, sweet, sugary feel. Carbonation is low and simply cannot hold up to the weight of the beer.

D) Even a little bit is too much.

2.25/5  rDev -39.4%

This is really just a mess of a beer. Too many high fermentable sugars results in a thin bubbly boozy brew with little identity. Lots of cider notes, astringency and fusels. For the price, it should be avoided...certainly are better versions of an American strong ale out there. I have another bottle, so might revisit it and revise this if I have even a slightly better experience, but as of now, this was a drain pour for me...

2.37/5  rDev -36.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

12 oz bottle poured into Chimay Chalice

A: hazy dark copper color almost the color of rust hard pour no head

S: cloves spices

T: Apple cinnamon sweet disgustingly so and booze lots of it

M: cloying as shit

O: this is like drinking gasoline with a ton of sugar added, it's absolutely awful

2.5/5  rDev -32.6%

This beers pours a golden color with a foamy white head. I was surprised how light this beer was in color as I would expecting a thick dark colored ale with low carbonation.

The beers is thick and syrupy. It is sweet, boozy, medicinal, and solvent like. It can best be described as cough syrup or syrupy running alcohol.

Overall it is a very poorly done beer and not one that I will be trying again.

2.57/5  rDev -30.7%

I tried this once before, more than a year ago for the first time and didn't like it at all so I saved a second bottle for nearly a year to both improve its taste and my appreciation. Fail.

The pour is a deep golden that collectively looks like brown bottle color with only a slight crescent of head around half the rim.

Raisins primarily and alcohol with something like coconut in the nose. Very sugary.

Tastes more like a sweet barley raisin liquor than anything in my mind. It would be a good mixer in another drink; like a Colossus and ginger ale but now I'm just imagining. Sickly sweet that gets very bready is the syrup subsides and succumb to the underlying alcohol scrubbing. The finish is dry but not clean.

Mouthfeel is syrupy, with little carbonation. This should be a sipper but you'll want another drink on the side.

I'm having trouble finishing a single glass. This might make a good marinade or other cooking ingredient. Not a beer.

2.8/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

12 oz bottle into a wine glass.

Appearance: Pours a clearish amber color - honestly, I expected something darker here. The head is a finger high, with a white shade. Since the texture is bubbly like soda (and since the gravity is so massive, natch), retention just plain sucks. No lacing either, but there are some impressive alcohol legs. (3)

Smell: Whoa, this is spiced? I'm definitely picking up some notes of cinnamon here. And booze. Wow, I can't believe it, a 17.3% beer smells boozy! Aside from the booze, there are also huge amounts of sugar, alongside some fruit punch, apple, white grape, brown sugar, and a little diacetyl. While it doesn't smell particularly appealing per se, it earns brownie points just for being so damn unique. (3)

Taste: This is intensely sweet. And intensely spicy. And intensely hot. It starts off with massive notes of apple cider before gaining a cinnamon-laden middle and a boozy finish. After many sips, caramel flavors start appearing in earnest. Normally, cinnamon in a beer bothers me if it's not ballasted by a load of sweetness - well, that's not a problem wit this beer, that's for damn sure. It's starting to dawn on me...the initial flavor is apple cider, and the finishing flavor is cinnamon whiskey...HOLY CRAP THIS IS LIKE A 12 OZ BOTTLE OF ANGRY BALLS. Though the alcohol presence is strong, it's well restrained - unlike the sweetness, that is. This is one of those brews where I need a drink in between sipping this to cleanse my palate. I never like doing that while drinking beer, but it genuinely works in making this beer seem (slightly) less cloying. (2.75)

Mouthfeel: Since it's so sweet, it leaves behind huge amounts of residual sweetness on the palate, while the back of the throat and esophagus are heated by the alcohol presence. On the tongue directly, booziness is suppressed (more like smothered) by the huge sweetness. There's a small prickle of carbonation to help will it down more easily. (2.5)

Overall: I like to think that I get this beer. I don't necessarily like it, but I get what DuClaw was shooting for here. The main problem here is that it's way too sweet without showing much in the way of nuance or depth. I fear my subjectivity against monster beers like this is hurting my score, but even still, I wouldn't buy it again. (2.75)

2.79/5: Rather unsophisticated, but if you enjoy mixing apple cider with Fireball, you'll probably love this

3.05/5  rDev -17.8%

17.3% ABV, 2014

Appearance: Very nice copper and orange colored transparent body with a thin but well-standing white head. Very little lacing, but that could be expected in a beer this high in alcohol content. Good visible carbonation.

Aroma: Massive alcohol scent. It smells like rubbing alcohol. Honestly with this burning my nose it's hard to pick up anything else. I'm sure there's more too it...I keep getting a couple of other scents that poke in but not long enough to really put a finger on what it is. It doesn't smell horrible or anything, it is just very potent.

Taste: It certainly does have more going for it in the flavor than it did in the aroma. There is a kind-of grape like flavor to it, followed by dates, some cinnamon, and a bit of cedar. The alcohol is definitely present. I wouldn't call it a wealth of complex flavors but it has enough to keep things interesting. I feel that the cinnamon flavor masks a lot of the beer, making it hard to really pick out any nuance.

Mouthfeel: It burns. It's pretty hard to drink this alcohol bomb so be prepared to sip on it for a while.

Overall: It's well worth trying. I would obviously recommend it to those who enjoy high alcohol beers, but namely Belgian ones with a bit of fruity and spicy character to them. You will get enough flavor out of the beer that it won't end up tasting like pure alcohol. I definitely recommend having some food nearby, especially crackers or pretzels to refresh the palate after taking a sip or two.

3.17/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle of the 2014 vintage pours a mostly clear copper color with a small cap of white head. Not much fore retention or lace.

Nose is JP 8 rocket fuel and vinous fruitiness with a caramely malt base. Smells scary.

Taste is grimace-inducingly strong with the malts not enough to cover for the massive wave of alcohol. Not enough hops to provide a bitter, clean finish either. There are better huge beers out there, but most of those tend to fall in the stout category where the alcohol can be balanced by a heavy malt load. Its an interesting beer to try, I can finish my bottle and would like to see what a 3 or 4 year old vintage would taste like, but I wont go searching for this. Too boozy.

3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

APPEARANCE - Mostly opaque orange amber with a 1-finger head that dissipates. A bit of lacing.

AROMA/SCENT - Slightly sweet, very herbaceous. Not hoppy

TASTE - They brew this with various herbs not identified. I don't like them. I think they might use tarragon, or something sweet like that. I don't like it. ABV not well-hidden.

MOUTHFEEL/PALATE/TEXTURE - Very gooey. Almost no carbonation.

VALUE - Cheaper than Dogfish 120, but not worth it

OVERALL/DRINKABILITY - A sipping beer at best. Beer advocate has the wrong ABV. The bottle I drank says 17.23. not 21.92.

3.3/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz, not sure on the date.
Hill Farmstead wine glass

A: Pours a light amber color. No head on this guy, but it's to be expected at that ABV. No lacing as well. Alcohol feet when you swirl, but that is about it.

S: Very sweet smelling. Lots of sweet malt. Bready chewy notes. No hops at all. Some caramel and toffee.

T: Taste follows nose. Amazing how the alcohol is fairly well hidden under that sweetness. But the sweetness is extremely cloying. Tough for me to stomach much more than my 4oz pour. Don't even taste a burn of the alcohol with that sweetness.

M: It's full but a thinner full bodied brew.

3.37/5  rDev -9.2%

22 oz bomber-clear amber color w/a mohogany tint & no head. Sweet raisin aroma. Very sweet flavors of raisins, toffee, caramel, & some faint candied sugar. Amazingly, the alcohol is not overpowering, but it has quite the warming property to it. A definite sipper, very sweet, almost like a mead or aptiff. Great after dinner drink, but you aren’t gonna drink too much of this. I think it will age well, we’ll see. Long sweet finish.

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

I was ill-prepared for this beast. I had no idea I was coming face to face with such grotesque (twisted) fruit and floral flavors. Difficult to pick a fruit exactly, it seemed like some chaotic combination of prunes, rosepetals, allspice/ginger/instant cider, peach/mango, some red and green jolly ranchers, robitussin, and cotton candy.. Yeah, I'm not standing by that as scientific but it's somewhere in that arena in terms of sugary-floral-sickly-sweetness. This was an issue at first because prior to opening I was thinking bitterness, brandy, no. It should be noted that my sweettooth is pretty weak... yeah, keep your rumplemints, gran marnier, and jaegar. The sweetness was so unexpected that at first my crutch to deal with it was some homemade jalapeno salsa which I'd have intermittently through the first couple oz's. That leveled it out quite well, and at the point I had waded in past my balls, I was able to drink it like a normal human. By the end, I had finally come to enjoy the bizarre and extreme concoction, both for its uniqueness and for the wallop it was giving my tongue, and its medicinal warming. I have a feeling that like many things, a beer of this stature is an acquired taste. It was remarkable how well-disguised the alcohol is, considering. Now that I know what I'm up against, I think I'm ready for another bout with this one to get a better reading, and for nuking it, which I didn't know was possible. And yes that will then be a shot, which might even need a chaser. Obviously drinkability is low for the average brute, unless you drink gran marnier shots with breakfast. Everyone should buy this if they see it to reckon with it's unique presentation when normal human beer seems boring, or to make drinking a 22 with a pal more akin to a sporting event of straight-face keeping.

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

Ratebeer winter gathering.

A: Pours a nice amber hue with a small off white head. No retention or lace.

S: Sweet and boozy. Lots of honey and apple puree. Mild dark fruit with hints of spice.

T: Boozy right from the start. Rich honey sweetness with nice dark fruit tones. Mild chocolate with hints of maple and molasses.

M: Rich sweet and boozy.

D: Not really drinkable. Nice flavors but too much of everything. Just never really comes together.

3.53/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

The drowsiness is catching up to me, and without the music I had earlier, I can't think of a good lead-in for this brew. Dammit. Well, let's go this route: I bought this bottle based on the intriguing description on the label and the strangely high ABV (and equally high price tag...). Now, I'm not sure what an epic beer ought to look like, but this one does not appear all that impressive: a surprisingly clear garnet with a minimal amount of fuzzy head. Impressive? Nope, but pretty nonetheless. The smell, on the other hand, comes across exactly according to expectations: heavy alcohol tones, bordering on the kind of antiseptic you are bombarded by during every visit to a hospital or old folks' home, o'ershadowing some sugary maple, honey, and cherry highlights. You can definitely tell this guy's gonna hurt ya. Not quite, surprisingly. Yes, there's still a kick o' the 'hol, but it's not as bad as expected. Instead, the honey, cherry, sour apple, and maple flavors come through in a big way, creating some sort of syrup combo (cough and pancake) that strains the buds to their very limits. I'm stuck between opposing positions here: I'm not happy with the flavors, but, at the same time, I don't hate them either. It's both, the epitome of a love-hate tasting. My tongue is like the woman from "Chinatown" or the plastic surgeon from "The Venture Brothers". Confusion reigns, but it is clear that these flavors are not sticky and are also not hampered by anywhere near excessive carbonation, but they do sort of malinger for a while during a very long, dry finish. Honestly, I don't think I could guzzle this if I wanted to, and I'm kinda glad about it. Still, I'm thankful for the experience.

3.63/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: The beer is clear yellowish amber in color and has a light moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high white head that died down but consistently left a short head covering the surface.
S: Moderate aromas of caramel, apples, cinnamon and booze are present in the nose. It kind of smells a little like an alcoholic version of apple cinnamon oatmeal.
T: The taste follows the smell and has a little sweetness. Notes of alcohol become noticeable in the finish.
M: It feels medium- to full-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is quite drinkable for something that is 17.3%. There is some alcohol in the finish, but most is well masked from the taste. The mouthfeel isn't that heavy, sticky, or syrupy.

Note: 2014 vintage

3.68/5  rDev -0.8%

Appearance: Slips out of the liter bottle a clear, deep, dark amber body with a small, white head. Sure, it's short-lived, but it's surprising one can form at all what with all that alcohol in here. Oh, but check out those legs!

Smell: Scent of light caramel shoehorned in amongst eye-tearing, monstrous (and monstrously huge) notes of tropical fruit punch, Bacardi 151 rum, and pound cake. My my my.

Taste: Grimacingly sweet jolt upfront, along with a big sip of spiked punch and further wild berry candy notes. No real hop character or bitterness, unless it long ago expired from alcohol poisoning. The bottle suggests heating it beyond 100 degrees for kicks. Though I don't have a thermometer handy, there is a microwave nearby! 45 seconds on high sounds about right. Right? !!! Okay, well, the heat brings about a touch of Grade A maple syrup, but it also unleashes a surge of isopropyl alcohol, though this brings about the good, wholesome fun would have doing shots of hot sake. The latter half offers up more fruit flavors and perhaps a splash of Midori. Finishes with an unyielding candylike sweetness and a kick of booze.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: American Strong Ale, indeed! It's more of a shooter than it is a beer. Perhaps it's a hot, chaotic mess, but it's still strangely alluring (minus the $40 price tag though).

3.71/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into my Lucifer snifter

Sight: After poured into my glass, I see a golden, honey like brew with a stark white head. It settles down to a thin cap in top. The lacing present on the sides of the glass resembles that dot game where you try to connect them to make more boxes than your opponent, and put an initial in it. I mean it has lots of small dots, not the boxes.

Smell: Booze, booze, and a little more booze. I also detect faint hints of yeasty esters and a touch of malt.

Taste: I’m so confused. Zippy spices, apricot (I later looked at the bottle and saw peach as a perceived flavor so I was in the ballpark), malt, and well… more booze. When it warms up I might get the apples and honey.

Mouthfeel: Slick and oily, teeth-coating. Not much carbonation, but I do see tiny bubbles regularly make their way to the top, in a relaxed, Sunday-driver sort of fashion.

Overall: Well, I’ve had few as big as this one. It drinks almost like a barleywine. Aside from DFH’s 18% nonsense, I’ve not experienced anything quite like this. I bet this would age well, and the alcohol end up less pronounced. It felt lucky to try it, but you won’t see my buying another unless the jack it back up to 20+ abv.

3.72/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle into a snifter glass. Bottled August 27th 2014.

Very clear, with a little bit of fine carbonation that litteraly looks stuck in the glass, with a big bright tangerine orange color. Non existent head and a filmy oily to watery top. Big spotty bubbled collar, with little retention. Some sticky legs and barely a little spotted dot lacing.

Fruity white wine aroma, more in a sense of a faint white port. Hints of apricot and nectarine ripe fruit, with a thick skin. Big amounts of sweet honey coming off and a hint of booze but not very large surprisingly. Pretty good so far.

Palate is real intersting. Big huge honey coating on this in feel but not too syrupy. Good amounts of citrusy to tropical hops that feel like mushy fruit. Huge amounts of honey sweetness. Big long lasting bitterness and large alcohol heat, with a big stomach pit warmth on the finish. Liquid honey sugar tasting and feel quite a bit. Manages to stay away from liquor angle enough to give some barleywine/strong stock ale and hop roots to stick to the ground.

It's a lot like drinking a very flavorful malt tree sap, but in a way kind of fun. Doesn't really have much wow appeal, more of a go for broke sense. Regardless it is still enjoyable.

3.72/5  rDev +0.3%

Had on tap at an Oktoberfest event in MD. Wow. Pours mahogany with a small tan head. Aroma is of fruit, honey, wheat, and spice. There is not much alcohol in the aroma, which is surprising. Taste is of very dry honey, dark fruit especially raisins, and wheat. Lingering taste of sugary, dark fruit. The alcohol is well masked, but you definitely know it is there. It doesn't creep up on you, in facerapes you for the entire beer. Mouthfeel is sticky, but drinks easy. The drinkability given the amount of alcohol is frightening.

3.73/5  rDev +0.5%

22oz bottle poured into 2 snifters.

Pours a medium red completely see through with minimal head.

Smells strongly of alcohol which is slighty expected with a big honey presence.

Taste is mostly fruity figs and rasins with a great sweet honey aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is pretty thin easy drinking with low carbonation.

Overall pretty good sipper not something you can have a whole lot of.

Thanks dyan for the hookup

3.75/5  rDev +1.1%

Thanks to yourefragile for providing this bottle in a springtime trade. Of course, this is one I just thought I should try given, you know, the mildly high ABV. Most of these I've had turned out not to be gimmicks, but just good brews. Here's to hoping the trend holds. Split with my wife, thank goodness.

Luckily, I don't have to go to work tomorrow (or for the foreseeable future!). Pours flat & cold as a pre-freeze Minnesota lake in November. Same color, too, a dark clear orange, zero head. Smell is subtle. Alcohol, cinnamon, bit of apple & orange jelly. All faint.

Colossus is sweet enough to cause cavities...in my kids upstairs. Sweet runs riot, then breaks into the arms depot & redoubles the mayhem. Within that are a wellspring of treats: candied apples, sugar-rolled oranges, maple syrup fortified with brown sugar, caramel squares, cinnamon. All followed up with another atomic blast of rolling boiled sugar. Surprisingly, this is a gentle, easy-tempered brew that wouldn't even be stopped at a checkpoint for having alcohol on its breath - it deserves a Nobel for hiding it. The definition of syrupy, this is thick as grade B molasses & almost as carbonated.

I'm going to be sipping this one for a couple of hours. Either that, or be asleep someplace between here & bed. Damn. Good beer that could easily be split 4 or 5 ways.

3.78/5  rDev +1.9%

1L waxed swingtop bottle into 25oz snifter. Most of the beer into the glass. The rest will be heated tomorrow.

Looks almost black when sitting on the table, but when held up to the light it exhibits a clear ruby glow. A one finger tan head slowly settles to a rim along the glass.

Thick aromas of sweet berry, grape, and grapefruit. Strong spice from the alcohol.

Supersweet flavor consisting of cane sugar along with hints of cinnamon. Shreds of apple are in there. A bit of a toasty bread-like grain sits in the background. The alcohol gives a strong warming feeling. Full bodied - syrupy.

As the name suggests, this is one very big beer. It's not that boozy, however the alcohol still has a strong warming effect. This is also a very sweet beer. I've seen people mention "apple pie", and that seems to be an accurate description. I'm curious to see this one warm. Overall, it's a good beer, just one to be sipped.

###

Heated to 110 degrees, poured from simmering pot into tea mug. Not factored into review score.

Any whiff gives a bit of apple, cinnamon, and a strong amount of alcohol. A lot of alcohol in the aroma, it's like I'm sniffing a shot of whiskey. The flavor almost tastes like fresh apple, and the spices are slightly morphed into a sharper flavor, more like allspice. A lot of warming alcohol on top of the warming alcohol.

Not that great when heated. It's like all I can taste is the alcohol. This one's probably best served slightly chilled like white wine, in a sipping glass.

3.86/5  rDev +4%

I had this on-tap at the pints and pancakes even at T-bonz. Poured into a Colossus snifter. They had maple syrup made with Colossus at the event.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy reddish amber with very small bubbles. This beer clings to the glass. There is a layer of off white head that goes away.

Smell: Very sweet. Notes of dark fruit and cherries. Definitely picking up some of the alcohol in the nose.

Taste: Follows closely from the smell. Really sweet with hints of dark fruit, caramel, maple, and cherry. I'm picking in the alcohol, but it's actually really well balanced given the incredibly high abv. The finish is a bit bitter, which only fit alright with the rest of the beer.

Mouthfeel: Body is on the thick side. This one sticks to your mouth. The carbonation is mild and the finish is extra dry.

Overall: Really smooth considering the abv. I think this one was better than the last batch.

Colossus from DuClaw Brewing Company