Black Lightning | DuClaw Brewing Company

Availability: Spring

Added by oline73 on 03-10-2011

2.25/5  rDev -39.5%

2.61/5  rDev -29.8%

this beer tastes like watered down coffee. the smell is syrupy and strong. the mouthfeel is watery and slightly dry upon swallowing. taste is too close to a stout and they have little business calling it an american black ale when its not really in that category from my drinking experience. This beer maintains no head and doesn't even lace the glass further showing how watered down it is. DuClaw also should reassess its naming. Black Lighting is just a bad name and I would never have bought this beer if my work hadn't broken up all the 6 packs (which weren't selling for 2 months) and sold as individuals at 1.50 a pop. Love maryland and their brewing renaissance, but steer clear of this one.

2.72/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a globe. No dating noted.

A - Pours a deep black with only the slightest bit of light coming through when held up to a light. About a 1/2 finger light mocha colored head formed, but dissipated fairly quickly. Lacing is non-existent.

S - Roasty and bready malts with a caramel undertone. A slight coffee note is present, but it's very light. Smells like a stout to me. No presence of hops in the nose (*See note).

T - I'm getting a dry bitterness up front, almost like what you'd get from old coffee. A light roastiness precedes a dry, citrusy resin. I expected this one to be more hop-forward given the description on the bottle. No signs of alcohol in the taste.

M - Medium bodied with a low carbonation. Oily finish.

O - Overall, I was fairly disappointed with this one. The hops were lacking, the bitterness at the front of the taste was....off. I picked it up just to have something different than what I normally drink. Can't say that I'd recommend.

*The "notes" on this beers profile says that it's available in the Spring. It's January right now, so I have no idea if another batch was brewed recently or if this is leftover. The weird thing is that the shelf at the store was completely full. Either other people know better or a mysterious case was found in the stockroom and thrown on the shelf.

2.75/5  rDev -26.1%

3.33/5  rDev -10.5%

P: 12oz bottle poured into a perfect pint glass.

A: Nearly completely black with dark brown highlights and a two finger brown head. Head retention is okay but lacing is fantastic.

S: Slightly sweet but assertive roasted malt with a hint of toastiness and caramel.

T: Mildly astringent intensely roasted malt. A good bit of bitterness, probably as much from the malt as the hops with the slightest citrus hop finish. Some charred flavors as well that I believe add to the astringent flavor. The bitterness lingers.

M: A little heavy on the tongue with moderately high carbonation.

O: I like the intensity of the roasted malt flavor but I think the malt has added a bitterness that isn't all that pleasing. A decent beer but not the greatest black ale I've had to date.

3.35/5  rDev -9.9%

Very dark in color-bordering on black but not quite there. Light, fizzy head on top that is quickly gone. Ok aroma-some roasted grains and a moderate amount of hops. Decent roasted grain flavors up front. Strong hop bite as well. I am used to more of a floral hop flavor in the black IPAs I have had. Mild chocolate notes. Decent enough body. A pretty good example of the style but theres better out there for my money.

3.35/5  rDev -9.9%

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was really black with a tan head. The beer ended up with good lacing but the head went away pretty fast. The smell of the beer was like coffee. The beer had a bit of a bitter finish but all in all I liked it and would buy it again.

3.38/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

An unusual black ale in that it seems more porter than anything else. Roasted tone with minimal spice influence. Smooth feel but with a carbonation that somewhat nibbles at the tongue. Easy to drink. Not really what I want out of the style, but good enough I suppose.

I have to wonder if this is a fresh sample. With that in mind, I'll probably try this again if I know for sure that it's fresh.

3.5/5  rDev -5.9%