Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Sweet Baby JesusSweet Baby Jesus

DuClaw Brewing Company
Maryland, United States | website

Style: American Porter

First brewed in 2011, this Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter is jet black in color with a tan, rocky head, full body and creamy, luxurious mouthfeel. Its lightly sweet, malty flavor is accented by rich flavors of chocolate, coffee and peanut butter, and balanced by a subtle hop character and moderate 6.5% abv. Sweet Baby Jesus finishes smooth, dry, and roasty with lingering notes of chocolate and peanut butter so savory, you will exclaim its name!

Added by MasterSki on 12-23-2012

Reviews: 376 | Ratings: 2,389
Reviews by MusicaleMike:
3.71/5  rDev -1.1%

Picked up a bottle of this at Capone's the other day. Poured into a balloon glass.

Sweet Baby Jesus pours a deep brown color with ruby red highlights when held to the light. The khaki colored head sits about a finger deep and then proceeds to collapse to a very thin layer on top and seems to start clinging to the glass.

The aroma is awesome! This is like sticking your nose into a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. Definitely has sweet chocolate notes underneath a bolder, savory peanut butter aroma. Exactly as promised and I gotta hand it to them for nailing this.

Taste is nowhere near as bold as the aroma. It has a sharp, metallic taste at first but as it warms, the flavors develop a bit more. There is the same flavor as the aroma, with a bit of chocolate and peanut butter, though it is a bit thinner than I was expecting.

The body is thinner than I would expect for a 6.5 % abv porter, and certainly thinner than I was hoping. The carbonation is active and robust though, so I give it good marks for that.

Overall, DuClaw delivered a pretty solid Peanut Butter Chocolate Porter. My only qualms with this beer was the thin flavor and body which I was really hoping would be more robust. I wouldn't buy this again, but I am glad I got to try it, and I love the packaging and name.

4.24/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Day 24 of the Craft Beer Advent Calendar.

L: Dark brown but still see through with a slight brown head to it and a fair amount of yeast floating in the beer.

S: Sweet caramel and brown sugar.

T: Chocolate and caramel with no bitterness and just smooth

F: Smooth and full body feel, super good.

O: Not disappointed from this beer at all, actually super good and enjoyable :)

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

Thanks to tectactoe for this enticing extra, & had I known it contained peanut butter & chocolate, it would have vanished long ago. 12 oz. bottle from a brewery I've enjoyed every time I've encountered it.

Pours is flat, deadly, cast-iron black, though the pan is rusting a bit around the edges. The nose is beautiful liquid candy. This might be the time to confess that I have a gigantic hard-on for Reese's Peanut Butter Cups which, if a low-cal version ever arrived on the scene, I might eat every meal. Lovely sweet malts, roast, & a low edge of peanut butter. I approve of this scent.

Sweet Baby Jesus - what the hell does that have to do with the beer, anyways? Sharp, bitter roast knocks hard, too hard, actually, scaring the palate. Trying to extricate itself from the borderline coffee is an underlayment of peanut butter, sweet malts. Chocolate is too faint, but it's nice & creamy. Not tough to put down at all.

Well, my dreams of drinking this all day while shoveling Reese's in my face has fallen sadly short. A pretty good beer, but I'd love to see more peanut & chocolate.

3.8/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to the few people who have thrown this in as an extra in trades... I haven't had many "peanut butter" beers, but I always love trying new and off-the-wall things, so I was very happy to have a few bottles of this stuff. It pours a dark brown that appears nearly black once it's sitting in the glass. The tan head fades quick but leaves a few small patches of spotty lacing in its path. Translucent only at the beer's extremities.

Mushy, dense, and creamy peanut butter clouds the aroma, and I wouldn't have it any other way. The helping hands of the deeply roasted chocolate malts meshes with the peanut butter to remind us of the combination that has become so popular today. A slight bit of char and roast on the tail end keeps that "stout-y" smell alive, while still being decadently sweet from the soft peanut butter addition.

The first sip tells me that the peanut butter is a bit heavier on the aroma that it will be on the palate, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The taste has a bit more cocoa to it; kind of sweet, soft, and creamy with a bit of roast on the back end. Peanut butter is still an important piece to this puzzle, however - even peanut butter in small amounts can be a powerful statement.

At times, Sweet Baby Jesus can be a bit astringent, with a darting, slightly acidic bitterness that most likely manifests from the roast. It's got that "burning cola" feel. Nothing to be too alarmed about, although it does take the drinkability down just a notch. The finish contains a touch of nutty peanut butter and a light dusting of sweet cocoa. The body on this is a bit thinner than I would have liked, especially for the flavors involved; sharp carbonation, kind of brash and dry in the finish.

I'm trying to think of any other peanut butter porters/stouts that I've had and the only other one that immediately jumps into my head is Odd Side's Peanut Butter Cup Stout. I like that one a little better; the feel the peanut butter is integrated a bit more successfully, giving off a more authentic "peanut butter cup" feel, not to mention the astringency is a non-issue. Either way, this is still a nice peanut butter beer and I'd definitely get it again if it were available to me.

4.25/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance: The body is a very dark amber brown color topped off with a small soapy tan head. It’s head quickly settles down to a ring of foam at the edge of the glass with a wispy thin film in the center. Lacing is minimal.

Smell: It’s big nutty notes hit me right as I opened the bottle. In the glass I get loads of sweet peanut butter and cocoa powder like notes.

Taste / Palate: The flavor tastes just like a peanut butter sandwich covered in cocoa powder. Its sweet overall but not overly so. The feel is smooth and softly carbonated.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L: A bright, very dark brown to nearly black pour with ruby highlights kicks up a clingy tan 2” foam collar that takes 3 minutes to reduce to ¼ of its original size.

S: A big peanut butter aroma seasoned with chocolate. Peanut butter, noticeable from at least 3 feet away dominates the aroma closely followed by chocolate. Hop aromas are low to none and malt aromas are medium low.

T: Initial fruit flavors quickly give way to peanut butter, dark chocolate and a dose of dark malt. An assertive bitterness joins a lingering chocolate peanut butter finish that dries slightly. The peanut butter flavors are medium high, the chocolate and bitterness are medium, the malt and yeast flavors are medium low and the hop flavors are low. The flavors are well balanced with noting cloying or over stated.

F: Medium full body, medium carbonation, no warming, a very slight grain astringency that adds balance.

O: A surprisingly good well balanced beer.

1.4/5  rDev -62.7%

This beer is another example of how people's taste buds must vary wildly, perhaps based on individual DNA. For me, the smell and the taste both made me slightly nauseated. While there WAS an odor of peanut butter and chocolate, I found it cloying. Right from that point, it was a bit of a struggle to take the first sip. With that first sip, and the few I took thereafter, my mouth involuntarily grimaced and my body actually briefly shivered.

I can only blame myself. I bought this bottle - just the one thankfully - because the name cracked me up. A friend who had tried it previously warned me - but I figured what the heck?

As I write this, the beer is sitting next to the keyboard looking all ominous. Of the 12 ounces, I think I have sipped through maybe 3. I can continue torturing myself by forcing myself to finish this to avoid the waste of the purchase price. Or I can pour it and just accept the loss. I just closed my eyes and inhaled from the glass once again, trying to be less biased. It smelled more of chocolate milk with a bit of peanut butter. But then opening my eyes and seeing this black ale again is making me feel vaguely sick.

Obviously, a fair number of reviewers LIKE this. So, like most beers, it has hit the mark for some folks. But I cannot finish it. I just can't. The only other beer I have had to pour in recent memory was some horrible chile beer from Mexico. Honestly, I find this beer to be at least as bad as that was, and I never thought I would ever react so negatively to another beer after I tried that one.

Kudos to the brewer, though, DuClaw makes some very fine brews! Normally, I really like "out of the box" experiments with beer styles and flavors. This one just didn't work for me.

And now, I must regretfully take this glass over to the kitchen sink....

1.47/5  rDev -60.8%

12 oz bottle @ 45F poured into Nonic glass. Dark brown with ruby highlights and light tan head dissipated fairly quickly. Aroma of roasted peanuts--off to a good start! Body is a bit thin but not too bad for a porter. Well what do you know --it tastes like chocolate and peanut butter!!! ...and then the harshly bitter, artificial flavor qualities kick in!!! Can't take more than a few more sips of this. When I bought it I didn't know that artificial flavors had been added -- that's cheating in my opinion. Worse than that, it just tastes bad. My first non-infected drainpour...EVER! I've always finished my beer, even when it was nasty, because I had assumed that it had been made honestly. I can't say that in this case.

3.88/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Ordered on tap at the Anthracite Cafe in Wilkes-Barre, PA. For the record, I had a pretzel sandwich with this brew and the pairing was actually quite good.

Poured, it is a normal porter. Good, dark color and nice head. The smell is intoxicating and is truly the best part of this beer. It smells like chocolate and peanut butter with hints of cream and oat. The taste is all over the map for me. I am not necessarily saying it's a bad thing, but from a taste perspective, I feel there is too much too fast in this beer. You have the chocolate, the peanut butter and other flavors fighting for your attention, and they were at times too much. I think this would be a great dessert beer and I won't say I'd never order it again... but it's not at the top of my list.

2.19/5  rDev -41.6%

This is my first, and last, Sweet Baby Jesus. I'm currently judging those who have recommended it to me.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a glass.
Look: Great dark color, nearly black. Tiny head that stuck around and got creamy after a while.
Smell: Initially straight up peanut butter. Pleasantly interesting! Then it hit...a fake chocolate smell. Smells like a chocolate scratch-n-sniff sticker I had in first grade. Not a good smell.
Taste: No peanut butter, a little toasty, lots of that fake, chemical-like taste. Part chocolate scratch-n-sniff sticker, part hot credit card. When that mixes with a lingering bitterness, something unpleasant happens in the aftertaste department. There might be a decent porter hiding under there, but I'm having trouble finding it.
Mouthfeel: Medium body, fairly smooth, borderline cloying.
Overall: Though the concept could work, this isn't it. I won't be rocking this baby again.

3.63/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a deep muddy brown, with a caramel colored head - good retention.

Smells of peanut butter, chocolate, and malt.

Taste is peanut butter followed by bitter chocolate rounded out with some faint coffee notes. It has an almost yeasty malt after taste. This is a solid Porter, but not great.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Pours a nice black color with a brownish head, leaves some lacing

Smell: Nice peanut butter up front, like peanut butter cereal, then chocolate

Taste: Again, peanut butter cereal and chocolate, roasted malts, earthy hops. Not too sweet either

Mouthfeel: A good light to medium body, good carbonation

Overall: Fantastic brew... will gladly pick up more of this. It is a bit different of flavoring, but something I could drink every day.

3.53/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Darkest brown color possible, almost black. Tan head with light carbonation. The smell is strong, with cocoa dominating and nutty notes coming in a close second. Think Hershey's cocoa powder and a jar of Jif and you are almost there -- almost ... because the peanut butter seems ... almost like peanut butter ... but not exactly. The smell is intense enough that you can drink it straight from the bottle and get the point. Flavors are chocolate syrup, cocoa (dominating) and peanut butter. Just enough hops to balance it all. Finishes slightly hoppy. I didn't have the issues with aftertaste that others noted. Carbonation stays fizzy even after it warms; combined with the hops on the back of the tongue it leaves an unusual finish for a fairly sweet beer. Feel is slick, slightly sticky, with carbonation that stays to the end. Label says it is a chocolate peanut butter porter and it is all of that. After the first couple of bottles, I bothered to read the label and was a little disappointed to see that it's a "porter with natural flavors." I wish they wouldn't invoke the name of the Divine in a beer that uses flavoring. Hmm. I want to rate the beer a little higher. If you like chocolatey porters, it's worth trying.

1.48/5  rDev -60.5%

This brew could be the poster child for the "Anti-Craft Beer" people.

Pure gimmick. Too sweet, too fake tasting. Two sips in, and I'm feeling sick to my stomach from the cloying heaviness. Add to that an aftertaste that refuses to go away, and you have a perfect example of why some people laugh at the craft-beer industry.

*This* should have been the beer that Bud mocked in their infamous ads ...

DuClaw Brewing Company Sweet Baby Jesus is an amazing tasting beer, to say the least. We had this bad boy at another Christmas/Holiday week parties we went to. This was a great party. Everyone exchanged a 6 pack of craft !!!! Now back the Sweet Baby . Dark brown porter. Smells of a yummy chocolate, coffee and peanut butter filled the air. The taste is outstanding. The feel is some what velvety / creamy. A nice tan foam from the immediate pour . With all of that said, I am a huge fan of DuClaw, and this one does not disappoint. If you like chocolaty porters, it's worth trying !

4.15/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a deep-deep brown color with a one finger of tan colored head. The head has a good level of retention, slowly fading to leave a moderate level of lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma of the beer is quite heavy of a roasted malt smell mixed with a whole lot of a milk chocolate aroma. Other sweeter smells of caramel and a rather potent showing of a roasted peanut butter smell also are in the aroma. A bit of coffee is there as well, producing an overall aroma of a somewhat drier peanut butter cup nature.

Taste – The taste begins with a sweet milk chocolate taste with a moderate roasted malt and light coffee flavor. While little peanut butter taste is present upfront, it begins coming in soon after the initial flavors hit the tongue. All while this occurs, the sweeter flavors seem to get even sweeter with more milk chocolate and caramel coming to the tongue and with some of the coffee flavors dwindling. A little bit of a roasted bitter flavor joins the flavor at the very end of the taste leaving a nice and sweet chocolaty and moderately peanut buttery flavor to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – For a porter of 6.5 % abv. this one is a little on the thinner side with a carbonation level that is a bit on the higher side. For the sweeter milk chocolate and peanut butter flavors, a bit of a thicker body may have created a slightly better and more dessert like feel, but even said the higher carbonation was actually quite nice for the sweet flavors and made for a more easy drinkability in the beer. So with that the feel was fairly nice overall.

Overall – A nice sweet chocolate peanut butter cup brew with a good drinkability and abv. If the body was only a little bit thicker this would be spot on for a dessert brew. Even so this is really a quite nice brew overall.

3.87/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

After buying a single, I noticed all the negative reviews based on artificial ingredients.
I emailed Duclaw wanting to know just what the ingredients were as this was concerning to me (as are GMO'S).
They were kind enough to get back to me the next day.
They stated that they "tweaked" the recipe a couple of years ago and artificial ingredients are no longer used in this beer.

3.93/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A: A medium to dark brown color with a one finger light brown head. Slight glass lacing.

S: Wow, peanut butter? For sure! I got lots of peanut butter and chocolate on the nose, some roasted notes and slight sweetness. Great smelling brew!

T: Well, I'm a little let down here based on the outstanding smell. The peanut butter flavor is really way more just plain nutty rather than peanut butter. Loads of hazelnut mix with dark chocolate flavors and some roasted flavor. Some toffee sweetness mixes with the nuttiness and chocolate as the finish turns slightly bitter with hops. Roasted flavor seems to linger in my mouth.

M: Medium, a little thin actually. Good carbonation, no alcohol.

O: I really wish the beer could have followed through with the peanut butter flavor as much as it had it on the nose, but alas it didn't. Still it was a very solid porter that was enjoyable.

Solid beer that I will buy again to have when I want something different, but not a beer I would drink regularly.

4.4/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Another good one from DuClaw, in my book! It's like a dark chocolate Reese's in liquid form. Very good. Bottle or on tap, this never fails, though I do recommend this on tap over bottle.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Pours a jet black in color with a tan head.

Overall: This beer has a roasted peanuts and chocolate aroma. Sweet flavor of roasted malt, chocolate and peanut butter with a dry, bitter, espresso finish. Very tasty, flavor changes and gets better with every sip.

4.6/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Pours nearly black in color. The aroma is sweet and malty, with both chocolate syrup and peanut butter apparent in the aroma.

The flavor malty and high in milk chocolate up front, with a HUGE peanut butter middle, finishing somewhat sweet and medicinal. The strong flavors of chocolate and peanut butter are pleasant enough to put any stray flavors to rest.

I've been waiting for a peanut butter (stout) such as this to come along. Praise be to Sweet Baby Jesus!

3.75/5  rDev 0%

3.78/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle purchased 5/21/16 into 12 oz. mug

A - dark brown/black porter, with a nice thick creamy tan head, some minor lacing clings to the side of the glass

S - mostly peanut butter - how'd they do that? - just a hint of roasted goodness and a lil chocolate for good measure

T - starts out like a jar of Skippy, then bitterness assertively takes over, then they battle for domination of your mouth, with a roasty bitterness to finish off the swallow. Bitterness seems to mellow, more in balance with the malt as it warms up for 15 minutes.

F - medium mouthfeel, medium carbonation, not terribly creamy feeling

O - Not a terribly complex brew, certainly not a creamy/velvety silk mouthfeel as advertised. I wish it didn't have quite so many IBUs, so I could taste the chocolate roasted flavors more. Note - let it sit for 15 minutes, and the flavor gets more balanced.

3.18/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Sweet Baby Jesus from DuClaw Brewing Company