Sweet Baby Jesus | DuClaw Brewing Company

Sweet Baby JesusSweet Baby Jesus

DuClaw Brewing Company
Maryland, United States | website

Style: American Porter

First brewed in 2011, this Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter is jet black in color with a tan, rocky head, full body and creamy, luxurious mouthfeel. Its lightly sweet, malty flavor is accented by rich flavors of chocolate, coffee and peanut butter, and balanced by a subtle hop character and moderate 6.5% abv. Sweet Baby Jesus finishes smooth, dry, and roasty with lingering notes of chocolate and peanut butter so savory, you will exclaim its name!

Added by MasterSki on 12-23-2012

Reviews: 380 | Ratings: 2,414

A - Poured into a tulip glass with some fervor. Tan colored head with pitch black body. Head is fluffy and bubbly, and fades after a few minutes, but never disappears entirely. Thick lacing all around glass.

S - The smell is INCREDIBLE. It smells like a peanut butter cup! I can literally taste the peanuts, so intense. Some hints of milk chocolate and a few hints of salt, but the peanut butter is the big player here.

T - Tastes just like it smells. Huge showing from the peanut butter. Saltiness like salted, roasted peanuts. Flavors of milk chocolate, toffee, some caramel, a hint of hazelnut, some twangs of saltine cracker and maybe even some chocolate fudge heaviness. The peanut butter is heaviest on the way down, like having a mouthful of fresh roasted peanuts, absolutely delicious!

M - Very thick, even a little sticky. Very good, coats the walls of my mouth with chocolate peanut butter goodness and hangs on for dear life.

O - A unique and novel beer. But a unique and novel beer done extremely well. The flavors are intense and natural, the color and look are perfect, and most importantly, it truly lives up to its name. I couldn't resist shouting out its namesake after my first sip. It truly is a wonderful porter, and a must have for any fans of chocolate, peanut butter, and dark beers.

Had a bottle of this delicious-ness fresh and frosty out of a very, very cold fridge while it wore a nice, tall coozy to keep it ice cold. Tastes like melted chocolate ice cream with a peanut butter dip on the outsides edges of your tongue. Brought me back to my childhood at the Soft Serve Ice Cream stand with my first sip in an instant. AWESOME!!! Thanks DuClaw!!!

Fabulous beer! Wonderful gutsy, deep flavor. Gorgeously dark. Smooth and rich with wonderful overtones. I think this beer is my all time favorite. I discovered it at a local Alamo move theater and am now wondering if I'm going to have to drive to Maryland to get more. Might be worth it! It sure makes drinking beer an exciting experience.

A-very dark brown with amber to red tones (like cola)

S- Peanut shells dominate with some subtle hint of portery sweetness.

T- Peanut first then chocolate mocha followed by some smokey porter sweetness.

M- Nice creamy carb. Not to thick, not to thin, just right.

O- Really surprised that this didn't get a higher rating. World class in my opinion. I find no real flaws. Thanks Dad for this awesome desert find.

4.96/5  rDev +32.3%

I first tried this beer at the Virginia Beach Craft Beer festival. As I walked up to the booth, I was thinking to myself "peanut-butter beer? How good can it really be?" Well as soon as I got my first sip of heaven I knew it could be that good.

There should be a rating of "dangerous" because this is a beer that I can either enjoy and casually sip on, or I could drink all day and all night and not even realize it. It's a bit of a heavy beer, with just a very slight taste of chocolate. To explain exactly how it tasted, it was like a stout, Nutella, and a bunch of Reese's pieces had an orgy and this cup of deliciousness was the orgasmic outcome.

The smell was of Reese's and Guinness, and it was just as smooth as the two of them, although it could have been a bit creamier than watery. I know I'm comparing a porter to stout but I'm still not sure what the damn difference is.

Regardless, this beer is absolutely a 5/5. The only thing bad is the aftertaste, but it's of peanuts. All in all it's still a win-win. At 6.5% ABV this is truly alcoholism in a bottle.

4.96/5  rDev +32.3%

As a fan of Reece's peanut butter cups this beer is a new found favorite of mine. It smells like roasted peanuts and taste like a solid porter mixed with peanuts and dark chocolate. Just a delicious beer.

4.88/5  rDev +30.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A couple of (alleged) 16 Oz pints at the Brew restaurant at Bellgrade.
If I could only drink one kind of beer it would be a porter.. Having said that I like my porters plain and simple: session beers - that's what porters used to be.
This stuff is different though.... the tasting notes on the clipboard gave a few hints: Reeses pieces, peanut butter... is this a beer or a candy bar ? Thing is, I hate peanut butter - can't stand the stuff. But, this is allegedly a porter, so....
Well, the first pint glass came with 3/4 " of head over what looked like a porter.
The tasting notes were close. There is an major note of bitter chocolate followed by a hint of roasted peanut kind of like a chocolate satay (?!) and it does feel like I'm drinking a porter despite the other stuff. The first one disappeared in short order to be followed by a second (just for confirmation, you understand)
If I hadn't been driving there would've been more. two pints of 6.5% is my limit.
But I will be back for more.....

4.76/5  rDev +26.9%

One of the 3 best beers I've ever had. I'm a chocolate stout fan first and foremost. When I smelled the PB i was a little nervous, but it turned out awesome. If you're up for something different it's great.

4.76/5  rDev +26.9%

Strong rich taste for a porter. Deep roasted taste is very.
It has a hint of peanut butter flavor. To be honest I would still like it with out the hint of peanut butter. But it does not in anyway downgrade the beer.
Looks the part and is very strong in appearance.
Had it once and will continue to look for it whenever I can find it.

Definitely moved up my list of favorite Porters.

4.75/5  rDev +26.7%

Had this on tap in Va. The only reason I didn't give it a 5 is there's so much peanut butter, I can't drink it all day long. Otherwise, excellent beer.

4.75/5  rDev +26.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This beer is very cliquey, for lack of a better term. From what I have experience, few people think it's 'ok'; most of whom that (I know) have tried it either loved it or hated it. Personally, I love the chocolate aroma and taste. It is not very harsh whatsoever. In fact, the beer is somewhat a relief to my tongue as it has an abnormal sensitivity to carbonated drinks. Moreover, the flavour is strong. Though I will say I am biased; this is one of my favourite beers.

4.72/5  rDev +25.9%

This is a really great porter for anyone who LOVES chocolate and peanut butter. The sweet, smooth chocolate flavor is to die for, then the rich distinct flavor of peanut butter kicks in on the aftertaste and finishes the chocolate off nicely. I only rate it below perfect because I personally, do not like the taste of peanut butter and chocolate. Delusional, I know..

4.7/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Loved the advertising for this beer and it was everything as advertised by DuClaw Brewery!!!! You knew what you were getting when you ordered it, a chocolate peanut butter porter.

Appearance: A dark, nearly black pour with a off white but not quite brown head that lasted a few minutes before disipating.

Smell: You get what you expect. A lot of chocolate with a peanut butter...someone else described it as smelling like peanut butter fudge and I totally agree. The aroma alone would sell me on this!!!

Taste: Right off the bat the chocolate come through, a roasted cocoa followed quickly by a dark chocolate taste as the peanut butter come in and lingers until the last bitterness fades. I totally loved it and I like big hop beers.

Mouthfeel: I expected it to be really thick but was pleasantly surprised it was full body and not syrupy. Very well done porter.

Overall: I totally looked forward to this when it was first advertised and it didn't disappoint in my opinion. It's not one that I would drink all night, but for a starter or a after dinner beer it hits the spot. I make a special trip down from Delaware every few months to try DuClaws brews (hopefully they start shipping to upstate Delaware soon) and they might miss on one or two, but this one was just as advertised and a home run in my opinion!!!

4.67/5  rDev +24.5%

Drinking from the bottle, the head and lacing are quick and unimpressive. The % is 6.2, which is always a plus because you get more bang for your buck. The feel is light and for me, perfectly subtle carbonation. The best aspect of this beer is the flavor, and that's the most important feature! The peanut butter doesn't hit you too strongly in the beginning, followed by a more bitter toffee and a delicious, lingering sweet after taste.

4.65/5  rDev +24%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

A lot of one's opinion of this beer hinges on if one is a sweet tooth. I definitely am. Therefore, this beer really appeals to me. For a dessert beer, I have not had much better. The smell of this beer is near perfection. Taste of the chocolate and peanut butter is not far behind. Only gripe is the porter is a tad bit watery, would be better with a thicker, smoother stout feel. Also, you really could only take down one or two of this in a session. However, when it comes to dessert drinks, this is top notch.

4.6/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Pours nearly black in color. The aroma is sweet and malty, with both chocolate syrup and peanut butter apparent in the aroma.

The flavor malty and high in milk chocolate up front, with a HUGE peanut butter middle, finishing somewhat sweet and medicinal. The strong flavors of chocolate and peanut butter are pleasant enough to put any stray flavors to rest.

I've been waiting for a peanut butter (stout) such as this to come along. Praise be to Sweet Baby Jesus!

4.59/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Draft at Chovy’s, Meadville, PA, $6.75/alleged 16 oz
Aroma of bitter chocolate
Head removed by bartender – what’s left is light brown, creamy, diminishing to 4 mm ring and layer
Lacing excellent – nearly covers interior with tiny bubbles
Body dark brown, opaque
Flavor begins with bitter chocolate and coffee; no hops, no alcohol, no diacetytl
Palate medium to full, creamy, lively carbonation

Appearance 4.25, Aroma 4.5, Flavor 4.75, Palate 4.5, Overall 4.5

4.59/5  rDev +22.4%

Appearance: Very dark black that looks more like a stout than a porter. A finger and a half of light brown frothy head that unfortunately disappeared fairly quickly.

Aroma: Chocolate cake, peanut butter cookies, roasted malt

Flavor: Just like the nose, the label says it all. Chocolate, nutty, some vanilla. Very Sweet and rich. A great dessert beer for sure.

Feel: Full body, incredibly smooth

I love being surprised by a beer that I thought wasn't going to be that good. I can't wait to get more of these.

4.52/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bought a 6-pack of 12oz bottles at my local Wegman’s supermarket. No drink/fresh by date on bottle.

Poured semi-vigorously into a pint glass

A- Black in color with some deep red hues when directly held up to the light. Foam produces about a inch-and-a-half khaki colored head. Adequate head retention and lacing on the glass.

S- Smells like a Reese’s cup! The nose is dominated by roasted peanuts, smooth peanut butter and chocolate. Slight cocoa and lactose smells in the background.

T- The taste is simple and straightforward but it delivers exactly what it advertises, a chocolate, peanut butter porter. The taste isn’t as strong as the smell would let on but I think this is what makes this brew so good. Roasted grain and cocoa hit the palette first. The swallow releases notes of salted peanuts and finishes with a dry chocolate taste

M- slightly less than medium in body. Creamy but light mouthfeel (kind of like a fluffiness)

O- This is a unique brew that has been executed pretty damn well. The smell is spot on and the flavors and mouthfeel make this a surprisingly refreshing and drinkable beer. Definitely belongs as a winter night’s brew or after dinner alongside a large slice of chocolate cake. My only improvements would be for a slightly more complex taste and better lacing.

92/100

4.51/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured on tap into a pint glass. Pours pitch black with a tiny off white head. Smells of chocolate and coffee just beautiful. Tastes of Reese's peanut butter cup, coffee, and nice dark malt. Beer light/medium bodied goes down nice light carbonation. Overall a very good beer.

4.5/5  rDev +20%

An excellent combination of roasty malts with peanut butter. The peanut butter is pronounced and adds to the flavor of the beer. One of the better beers I have had in some time.

4.5/5  rDev +20%

Delicious, pours a nice dark black. Minimal head on my pour. The nose is a nice peanut-buttery chocolate smell, with more of a faint chocolate taste in the back of the mouth after drinking. It's smooth. Thin feeling when drinking. Really enjoyable.

4.49/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

After the sample from the bartender, I had to think about this one a while. But for the next 10 minutes, all I could think about was the wonderful aroma of sweet nuts (maybe a bit like almonds, though peanut was there too) and the sweet chocolate flavor.

I went back and got a full pint, and I was not disappointed. This Porter was plenty sweet enough, though a few reviews said otherwise.
The only distraction was the feel, which was very nice but could be described almost oily - but hey, we are talking about peanuts here.
There was just enough carbonation (I am not a big fan) to improve the mouth feel, and I drank this beer much faster than most!

I TALKED ABOUT THIS CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER PORTER MOST OF THE NEXT DAY!
Can't wait to get back to Maryland!!!

4.49/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I asked the bartender @ McMenamin's Tavern in Mount Airy (Philadelphia) which was his favourite beer on tap, and he recommended this one. Just 2 words: OH, WOW. A chocolate-peanut butter stout. Basically, this felt like I was drinking an alcoholic, fizzy peanut butter cup.

Appearance: Lovely, just lovely- deep, dark black.

Smell: To be honest, the smell didn't really hint too much as to what was coming.

Taste: Here's where I said OH, WOW. You get a bit of maltiness with just a hint of hops, but the dominant taste is of the chocolate and, yes, peanut butter. I would never have dreamed that this would work, but, WOW, does it ever.

Mouthfeel: Amazingly, this beer didn't have anywhere near the heavy mouthfeel that I'd expected, given the taste.

I'm not sure I'd want to drink too many of these at a time- despite the reasonable ABV, it's definitely a dessert beer, not a session one. But, I'll DEFINITELY be ordering another one next time I see it on tap.

4.49/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sweet Baby Jesus was an extra in my last trade, and I had relatively low expectations, but was intrigued by the novelty of a chocolate peanut butter porter.

Pours an opaque brown that when held up to the light has a deep auburn glow.Little in the way of head or lacing.

Aroma is that of beer candy: the chocolate & peanut butter are prominent and well blended with the malt. The nose is inviting in every way, it smells delicious.

Taste nails the concept of infusing a Reese's peanut butter cup with a well crafted porter quite well. The sweetness stops just shy of cloying, and the alcohol is completely undetectable.

Mouthfeel is somewhat thin, but this is a porter, and I do not agree with previous reviewers that insist a thicker, heavier consistency would carry the flavors better. Sweet Baby Jesus is smooth as silk and quite quaffable (this 12 oz. bottle disappeared quickly).

This is an eye opening beer, the aroma and flavor are delectable, and novelty or not, this just works. Thumbs up on this effort from DuClaw: I'm quite impressed and very pleasantly surprised.

Sweet Baby Jesus from DuClaw Brewing Company