Sweet Baby Jesus | DuClaw Brewing Company

DuClaw Brewing Company
Maryland, United States
duclaw.com

Style: American Porter

First brewed in 2011, this Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter is jet black in color with a tan, rocky head, full body and creamy, luxurious mouthfeel. Its lightly sweet, malty flavor is accented by rich flavors of chocolate, coffee and peanut butter, and balanced by a subtle hop character and moderate 6.5% abv. Sweet Baby Jesus finishes smooth, dry, and roasty with lingering notes of chocolate and peanut butter so savory, you will exclaim its name!

Added by MasterSki on 12-23-2012

Reviews: 402 | Ratings: 2,514
4.49/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

After the sample from the bartender, I had to think about this one a while. But for the next 10 minutes, all I could think about was the wonderful aroma of sweet nuts (maybe a bit like almonds, though peanut was there too) and the sweet chocolate flavor.

I went back and got a full pint, and I was not disappointed. This Porter was plenty sweet enough, though a few reviews said otherwise.
The only distraction was the feel, which was very nice but could be described almost oily - but hey, we are talking about peanuts here.
There was just enough carbonation (I am not a big fan) to improve the mouth feel, and I drank this beer much faster than most!

I TALKED ABOUT THIS CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER PORTER MOST OF THE NEXT DAY!
Can't wait to get back to Maryland!!!

4.49/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I asked the bartender @ McMenamin's Tavern in Mount Airy (Philadelphia) which was his favourite beer on tap, and he recommended this one. Just 2 words: OH, WOW. A chocolate-peanut butter stout. Basically, this felt like I was drinking an alcoholic, fizzy peanut butter cup.

Appearance: Lovely, just lovely- deep, dark black.

Smell: To be honest, the smell didn't really hint too much as to what was coming.

Taste: Here's where I said OH, WOW. You get a bit of maltiness with just a hint of hops, but the dominant taste is of the chocolate and, yes, peanut butter. I would never have dreamed that this would work, but, WOW, does it ever.

Mouthfeel: Amazingly, this beer didn't have anywhere near the heavy mouthfeel that I'd expected, given the taste.

I'm not sure I'd want to drink too many of these at a time- despite the reasonable ABV, it's definitely a dessert beer, not a session one. But, I'll DEFINITELY be ordering another one next time I see it on tap.

4.49/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sweet Baby Jesus was an extra in my last trade, and I had relatively low expectations, but was intrigued by the novelty of a chocolate peanut butter porter.

Pours an opaque brown that when held up to the light has a deep auburn glow.Little in the way of head or lacing.

Aroma is that of beer candy: the chocolate & peanut butter are prominent and well blended with the malt. The nose is inviting in every way, it smells delicious.

Taste nails the concept of infusing a Reese's peanut butter cup with a well crafted porter quite well. The sweetness stops just shy of cloying, and the alcohol is completely undetectable.

Mouthfeel is somewhat thin, but this is a porter, and I do not agree with previous reviewers that insist a thicker, heavier consistency would carry the flavors better. Sweet Baby Jesus is smooth as silk and quite quaffable (this 12 oz. bottle disappeared quickly).

This is an eye opening beer, the aroma and flavor are delectable, and novelty or not, this just works. Thumbs up on this effort from DuClaw: I'm quite impressed and very pleasantly surprised.

4.47/5  rDev +18.9%

Got as a gift from someone. Served at 4deg C in a draught glass

A- Opens well and pours almost no head at all. Very dark brown.

S- Lots of peanut butter here. Some chocolate

T- Chocolate and peanuts. Not overwhelming and very well balanced. Lovely blend all around.

M- Creamy good

O- Very enjoyable. Wish I had more. Will buy on sight if I find it again. Super nice break from the everyday

Food Pairing

This wonderful brew went well with..... Peanut butter and jam sandwiches!! LOL peanut overload!

Enjoy

4.46/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

DuClaw Brewing Company - Sweet Baby Jesus. 6.5% ABV. 12oz bottle poured into standard pint glass. Bottled on 9/15/2015.

Look: Very dark brown, almost black. Semi aggressive pour yielded a thick light tan colored head, that dissipates slowly into sticky lacing of the same color.

Smell: Initial smell is just like peanut butter fudge. Very profound peanut butter, chocolate, with dark malts in between.

Feel: Very creamy, with the head contributing to the feel. Nice and smooth, with the right amount of carbonation.

Taste: Immediate malty peanut butter taste, with chocolate tones throughout. The back end leaves a pleasant taste, just like a Reese's Cup. Even after it warms up, there is no alcohol taste or burn.

Overall: This was a very enjoyable beer to drink. It is an interesting flavor blend for a beer, it is like drinking a dessert. Not something I could drink everyday, but is very good nonetheless.

4.45/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Really nice peanut butter aroma and taste. More than my favorite from willoughby. Not as much chocolate, though. Really great dessert beer. Could not multiple in a row but will definitely be drinking again.

4.44/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Not the first time I've had this. This is one of the beers that got my excited about craft beer.

Look: Black, but with very dark tint of red when held to the light. Very light tan colored head. Starts to slowly dissipate.

Smell: Man oh man, the smell might be the best part. Like snuffing your nose into a jar of Jif. The chocolate is there, but the peanut butter is dominate. Almost salty, like a sweet and salty granola bar!

Taste: Identical, in every way, to the smell.

Feel: Very creamy and smooth.

Overall: What's strange is, I was never a really big chocolate/peanut butter fan until I drank not only this, but Big Gruesome. Then anytime I had a brownie or any chocolate dessert, I added a dollop of peanut butter. I want to say I prefer Big Gruesome over this, which I have also reviewed, but I'd really have to try them back to back.

4.43/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

To me it's a good porter. Flavors of roasted nuts and earthy notes backed by a light tone of cocoa fused with just the right amount of hops. The beer it selfs is not as thick as I thought it'd be. It didn't give me a full feeling and went down quite easy. Again another DuClaw beer I like...Now I'm hungry for a peanut butter cup lol

4.43/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

As a fan of Belching Beaver's Peanut Butter Milk Stout, I was excited to find a Maryland version of a peanut butter dark beer. DuClaw's version came from the taps of Max's Taphouse. On to the beer:

This beer is black, and there's a slightly tanned colored head sitting on top. Lots of webbed lacing around the glass. I came for a beer, but with the aroma, I got a big kick of dessert! WOW! That aroma is wicked! It's incredibly rich in chocolate and peanut butter, in fact reminding me of a peanut butter chocolate brownie that I had recently. The aroma will be tough to beat, but even the flavor is easy to fall into. The beer starts roasty, then quickly moves towards a semi-sweet chocolate, peanut butter filled milkshake. I think I'll stop before I start to drool over my notebook.

4.41/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

If you like or love Reese's peanut butter cups this is your beer. Chocolate and peanut butter in a very nice porter. I will definitely be purchasing more and recommending to friends. This is a delightful after dinner drink, that satisfies the sweet tooth and beer craving after a nice meal. Very smooth taste, and finish. Pick some up if you can find it!

4.4/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bought this for my wife, who loves dark beers, chocolate, and peanut butter; this is a very enjoyable beer, relatively light bodied for the flavor load. It does come across as a Porter; relatively light-bodied and dry. Pours deep, dark brown with a finger to two of fine, creamy head, though it doesn't stick around for too long. Peanut butter is pretty upfront in the nose along with bitter chocolate and dark coffee notes. Peanut butter is definitely there in the taste, but it is surprisingly not overwhelming, and the chocolate notes are also kept in check. I thought it was going to be more cloying but it finishes surprisingly cleanly, with just a bit of a lingering peanut note.

4.4/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Another good one from DuClaw, in my book! It's like a dark chocolate Reese's in liquid form. Very good. Bottle or on tap, this never fails, though I do recommend this on tap over bottle.

4.37/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a deep dark brown/black color with a 1 ½ to 2 fingers of creamy dark caramel colored head. Great example of what a porter should look like.

Aroma: It’s called a chocolate peanut butter porter, and boy, are they not kidding! The beer has strong aromas of roasted peanuts and chocolate and roasted malt and dark bread and the usual roasted coffee smell that most porters have. Smells absolutely fantastic.

Taste: Again, the name isn’t lying. This is very much peanut butter and chocolate! Roasted peanuts and slightly bitter chocolate are the first tastes I get, followed by strong roasted malt presence and dark bread, followed by a slight saltiness that goes well with the chocolate. What surprises me is that this isn’t a sweet beer, which you would think it would be, no, this is a nice savory beer. The beer certainly has that roasted malt/coffee flavor that porters should have, it just also has an extra dimension, depth really, that the peanut butter and chocolate provides. Great taste!

Mouthfeel: Not as carbonated as the head of the beer led me to believe, but that’s a good thing as I like my porters and stouts to have very little carbonation. However, the beer isn’t overly smooth either, there’s a chewiness present that I really like.

Overall: I really liked this beer. It’s very drinkable on its own, but with food, it’s even better! Deserts are the obvious paring, brownies, etc., and it makes an unbelievable ice cream beer float, but I really liked it with pretzels and other salty snacks.

4.37/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Got this off a trade. Seen some of their stuff at the local store but never intrigued me enough to nab some. Had low expectations going into this but it surprised me in a good way. Upfront you get that sweet chocolate milk flavor with some peanutty aroma. Taste is more chocolate milk with some kind of peanut butter concentrate like flavor. It's not what you expect but it tastes pretty good. Mouthfeel is decent for a 6pcter and carbonation is medium to low. Would get this again for sure.

4.37/5  rDev +16.2%

Recommended to me, so I bought one as part of a mix 6. Pours black as night, but where it really gets interesting is the smell. Massive peanut butter smell. Love it. But hen the taste is mostly chocolate, and the peanut butter takes a back seat. Delicious dessert porter. Still, one at a time is enough. Reese's peanut butter cup as a beer.

4.36/5  rDev +16%

Exponentially better on tap, but the bottles have some serious peanut aromatics and flavors going on. This was bottled on 1/29/14, guess what it looks ruby cola deep brown, with a nice tan mocha head forming nicely. Fine speckled bands of lacing, great looking beer sitting in my glass. Aromatics are peanut butter to the core, think peanut skins and Jiff. Wonderful smell A+ there's not a better smelling beer around with this much similarity to a Reese's peanut butter cup!!! Flavor is dry finished with the peanut butter/dark dry chocolate notes coming forth, I'm glad it has these flavors without stepping into the dessert beer/diabetes realm like some of the Southern Tier Choklat and Crème Brule overt sweetness. There's a natural roasted malt finish with lingering salty peanut notes between sips, man I dig this beer. The first time I had it was a couple months back at Caliente in Bloomfield. Nice to see they are getting distribution in PA at Giant Eagle Market District. Mouthfeel is slick with peanut butter oils and medium bodied with even flowing carbonation it just works, I drained my glass faster than I should but damn it's so good and I thankfully have 5 left!

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Poured in to a chalice. Extremely dark brown like dark chocolate. Carbonation consists of fairly tight bubbles that develop a frothy creamy khaki head; head retention is high and a nice lace.

Aromatics: Nose is as described on the bottle - chocolate and peanut butter. Good thing Reese doesn't have a patent on the smell of peanut butter cups, because that's what this is. There are under-pinnings of roasted/burnt malts and a hint of confectioner's sugar and some vanilla.

Taste: Very rich and bitter on par with a good quality coffee. The chocolate and peanut flavours stand out proudly with a toffee-like sweetness nearing the finish which is subtlety chocolatey. Some earthier vegetal tongue that only contributes tot he existing flavours, and I taste a slightly salted peanut tucked way underneath just letting you its there.

Feel: A medium body character that has its fair share of heft but definitely keeps your mind stuck in the creamy peanut butter. It closes out with a dry bitterness of the chocolate and leaves the palate cleanly. You kind of expect the mouth feel to reflect the other flavour characteristics which unfortunately doesn't happen, but that complaint is minimal.

Overall: If you like beers with interesting flavours and unique compositions this is a great beer. A rich and buttery nature with bitters of dark chocolate and a hint of coffee. The aromas and flavours steal the show. I think aesthetically its profile would be great around a summer campfire with toasted marshmallows or as a drink with family conversation around the holidays in winter. Or if you like Reese’s cups.. pretty sure those will work just as well.

4.35/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Majorly brown body, thin head.

Aroma: One of the more intense peanut noses i've seen on a beer like this. Maybe some waffle cone. Light chocolate.

Flavor: More harsh roast character than the nose would believe, great peanut, notes, very light chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied true porter body, touch of some drying quality to the roast.

4.35/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

pours a dark brown in color with a thin brownish colored head. Notes of the peanut butter hit your nose, with a little of the chocolate. Upon tasting, the chocolate is more on the front end, with the peanut butter being more on the back end. Very enjoyable.

4.35/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Not sure the low score. Thought it poured a nice black color with moderate tan head. Amazing nose. Medium bodied. Great flavor might have been just a tad bit salty buy one of the better chocolate peanut butter beers I've had

4.35/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

It pours black with a brown head and plenty of lacing. It has a strong aroma of peanut butter with roasted malts and nuts. It is fairly highly carbonated with peanut butter, roasted malts, some coffee, and hints of floral hops. It does have a creamy texture, but the high carbonation breaks it up some. It does have a bitter coffee kick on the palate.

4.34/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into one of my pint glasses, this beer pours a very dark brown color with some small, deep amber/ruby highlights when held up to the light. Has a slightly tan head that is about 2/3 or so of an inch thick when first poured and it settles to a thick ring lining the inside of the glass along with a nice big surface area of a film foam cover layer. Pretty good lacing too. Aromas of roasted nut, roasted caramel malt sweetness, chocolate notes, and a nice hint of black coffee are all certainly present. Tastes pretty much the same way it smells, with roasted nuts and caramel malt sweetness that gives way to some chocolate notes that is rounded out with some nice black coffee and slight hop bitterness. A very good balance of the flavors, and I do think the sweetness does dominate just slightly. Has a crisp, yet smooth and frothy, medium bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. One of the best American Porters I have had in awhile.

Eric

4.34/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A-It pours a dark opaque color with light tan head that disaopears quickly.

S-It smells like the scratch and sniff sticker (if they don't have one they should get one) for the DuClaw beer company! Like a deep smell of chocolate candybars with a hint of nuts. Tasty!

T-Very chocolaty med-heavy feeling lingers to the nuttiness flavor. What complex mixture that blends so well.

O-What a great treat for an "every once in a while" beer. Very filling and just enough ABV to enjoy a growler with your wife. A recommended treat trust me!

4.33/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle pours a near-black color with an abundance of tan head. Nice retention and lace.

Ive seen Reese's Peanut Butter Cups as an aroma descriptor, but Im going to say it is more the cheaper Palmer Peanut Bunny Bites. Either way, it is amazingly like sugary Peanut Butter and chocolate. Maybe a bit more fudge brownie with nuts upon further inspection.

Taste is heavier on the chocolate than peanut butter as expected, I cant imagine it is easy to get that flavor in a beer...chocolate on the other hand...manageable. Its really more of a nutty presence than peanut butter, but a nice touch nonetheless. I like the fact they steered clear of hops for the most part, it would have ruined the nice sweet, chocolaty profile they were aiming for. Mouthfeel is decent, but I wouldnt mind a little more viscosity. Low carbonation is about right for this kind of beer. I like this, quite a bit actually...I would definitely recommend this.

4.3/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Dark and opaque with a beige foamy head. Looks rich when it pours. Nose is sweet and nutty..lots of banana as well. Very mild .. Definitely hazelnut in there on a major level. Flavor follows through with the sweetness and develops into peanut butter and sugar wafer. Mouthfeel is typical of a porter on the creamier side. Overall I love what this beer delivers..but you gotta have a sweet tooth to really dig it

Sweet Baby Jesus from DuClaw Brewing Company