Sweet Baby Jesus | DuClaw Brewing Company

DuClaw Brewing Company
Maryland, United States
duclaw.com

Style: American Porter

First brewed in 2011, this Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter is jet black in color with a tan, rocky head, full body and creamy, luxurious mouthfeel. Its lightly sweet, malty flavor is accented by rich flavors of chocolate, coffee and peanut butter, and balanced by a subtle hop character and moderate 6.5% abv. Sweet Baby Jesus finishes smooth, dry, and roasty with lingering notes of chocolate and peanut butter so savory, you will exclaim its name!

Added by MasterSki on 12-23-2012

Liked:
3.8/5
15%
Alströms:

Ratings: 2,567 |  Reviews: 419

what is this??

Tastes worst than bad dogfood

1.12/5  rDev -70.5%

Taste like a hamster cage smells.

1.18/5  rDev -68.9%

Im sorry but porters are my favorite style. But I found this beer undrinkable. The peanut butter smell and taste are overwhelming and just nasty. Not even worth the price .

1.25/5  rDev -67.1%

1.26/5  rDev -66.8%

This stuff is just gross. WAY to thick & artificially sweet! Yuck!

1.28/5  rDev -66.3%

I think that this is the absolute worst beer that I have ever tasted. Like cheap candy and peanut butter mixed with water.

1.37/5  rDev -63.9%

Cloying as hell. Tastes like they squirted a few pumps of Reese's flavoring into each bottle before capping it. DuClaw usually has solid offerings, I don't know what this was supposed to be.

1.4/5  rDev -63.2%

This beer is another example of how people's taste buds must vary wildly, perhaps based on individual DNA. For me, the smell and the taste both made me slightly nauseated. While there WAS an odor of peanut butter and chocolate, I found it cloying. Right from that point, it was a bit of a struggle to take the first sip. With that first sip, and the few I took thereafter, my mouth involuntarily grimaced and my body actually briefly shivered.

I can only blame myself. I bought this bottle - just the one thankfully - because the name cracked me up. A friend who had tried it previously warned me - but I figured what the heck?

As I write this, the beer is sitting next to the keyboard looking all ominous. Of the 12 ounces, I think I have sipped through maybe 3. I can continue torturing myself by forcing myself to finish this to avoid the waste of the purchase price. Or I can pour it and just accept the loss. I just closed my eyes and inhaled from the glass once again, trying to be less biased. It smelled more of chocolate milk with a bit of peanut butter. But then opening my eyes and seeing this black ale again is making me feel vaguely sick.

Obviously, a fair number of reviewers LIKE this. So, like most beers, it has hit the mark for some folks. But I cannot finish it. I just can't. The only other beer I have had to pour in recent memory was some horrible chile beer from Mexico. Honestly, I find this beer to be at least as bad as that was, and I never thought I would ever react so negatively to another beer after I tried that one.

Kudos to the brewer, though, DuClaw makes some very fine brews! Normally, I really like "out of the box" experiments with beer styles and flavors. This one just didn't work for me.

And now, I must regretfully take this glass over to the kitchen sink....

1.43/5  rDev -62.4%
look: 1.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Appearance-dark brown but can see through the beer when held up to the light. No head to speak of.

Smell-the best thing about this beer. Smells like a peanut butter cup.

Taste-artificial/chemical peanut butter taste and not much else. The PB dominates here. An astringent quality is present.

Mouthfeel-thin beer, basically watery. The astringency/acidity can be felt on the tongue.

Overall-a crime to call this a Porter. Roasted malts are weak, if present at all, no head, watery, artificial taste. If you want a "crafted" Porter grab a Samuel Smith Taddy Porter or Founders Porter. This reeks of mass production.

1.47/5  rDev -61.3%

12 oz bottle @ 45F poured into Nonic glass. Dark brown with ruby highlights and light tan head dissipated fairly quickly. Aroma of roasted peanuts--off to a good start! Body is a bit thin but not too bad for a porter. Well what do you know --it tastes like chocolate and peanut butter!!! ...and then the harshly bitter, artificial flavor qualities kick in!!! Can't take more than a few more sips of this. When I bought it I didn't know that artificial flavors had been added -- that's cheating in my opinion. Worse than that, it just tastes bad. My first non-infected drainpour...EVER! I've always finished my beer, even when it was nasty, because I had assumed that it had been made honestly. I can't say that in this case.

1.48/5  rDev -61.1%

This brew could be the poster child for the "Anti-Craft Beer" people.

Pure gimmick. Too sweet, too fake tasting. Two sips in, and I'm feeling sick to my stomach from the cloying heaviness. Add to that an aftertaste that refuses to go away, and you have a perfect example of why some people laugh at the craft beer industry.

*This* should have been the beer that Bud mocked in their infamous ads ...

1.59/5  rDev -58.2%
look: 4 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Nope. Not for me. Sounded like a good idea on paper, but the flavor seems like random squirts of extract, there is just nothing real or organic about this beer, in my humble opinion. I am sure I am wrong, and your mileage may vary. I guess it has its place (dessert?), but four sips in, it's place was "down the drain" at my house. Considered grabbing a different beer to cleanse my palette, but after SBJ, I did not want any more beer that evening. If this were the only thing to drink on a desert island, I'd drink salt water.

1.74/5  rDev -54.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.5

1.75/5  rDev -53.9%

1.84/5  rDev -51.6%

I love just about anything with peanut butter, so I was really excited to try this. It looks like a decent porter in the glass and smells really good! The peanuty nose got my expectations really high! And then I tasted it....oh god.. it's like burnt toast drizzled with acid... not even remotely like peanuts or chocolate for that matter. Prickly carbonation and unnatural chemicaly flavors feel like they are leaving mild burns in my mouth. It gets worse as it warms up. The smell is only there to tease me as to how good this beer could/should have been juxtaposed with this abomination. I got about halfway through the bottle and couldn't take it any more... one of my very few drain pours. I'll give it this much, it's unique, but that doesn't make it any good. If your curiousity compels you to try this make sure you buy it as a single.

1.89/5  rDev -50.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Initial brief impressions from a bottle:

Aroma suggests a cloying sticky artificial beer with artificial peanut butter flavouring. Off-puttingly sweet, lacking any genuine flavours whatsoever.

Taste follows, yielding a cloyingly sweet saccharine brew loaded with artificial peanut butter flavour. Sickly sweet, sticky, and syrupy. I can almost hear my dentist gasping in horror with every sip. There's no coffee bitterness or roasted barley to balance out the overload of malty sweetness, leaving this horribly imbalanced and difficult to drink as a result.

A beer for the ten year old in all of us, Sweet Baby Jesus! is a lackluster brew that threatens to send many a diabetic to the E.R. Poorly executed stuff I can't imagine anyone wanting a second pour of; I'll finish this bottle only with effort and don't look forward to revisiting this in finer grain.

D- (1.89) / AVOID

1.92/5  rDev -49.5%

1.92/5  rDev -49.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Sweet Baby Jesus from DuClaw Brewing Company