Sweet Baby Jesus | DuClaw Brewing Company

DuClaw Brewing Company
Maryland, United States
duclaw.com

Style: American Porter

First brewed in 2011, this Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter is jet black in color with a tan, rocky head, full body and creamy, luxurious mouthfeel. Its lightly sweet, malty flavor is accented by rich flavors of chocolate, coffee and peanut butter, and balanced by a subtle hop character and moderate 6.5% abv. Sweet Baby Jesus finishes smooth, dry, and roasty with lingering notes of chocolate and peanut butter so savory, you will exclaim its name!

Added by MasterSki on 12-23-2012

Reviews: 404 | Ratings: 2,523
1.84/5  rDev -50.9%

I love just about anything with peanut butter, so I was really excited to try this. It looks like a decent porter in the glass and smells really good! The peanuty nose got my expectations really high! And then I tasted it....oh god.. it's like burnt toast drizzled with acid... not even remotely like peanuts or chocolate for that matter. Prickly carbonation and unnatural chemicaly flavors feel like they are leaving mild burns in my mouth. It gets worse as it warms up. The smell is only there to tease me as to how good this beer could/should have been juxtaposed with this abomination. I got about halfway through the bottle and couldn't take it any more... one of my very few drain pours. I'll give it this much, it's unique, but that doesn't make it any good. If your curiousity compels you to try this make sure you buy it as a single.

3.87/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Served in a tulip. Pours the color and clarity of cola with a loose, khaki-colored head that dissipates towards the shoulders. Nose on this beer is great - think peanut butter cups with just a hint of roast. Taste follows nose; however, not as bold as the nose and a little watery. Mouthfeel is light-medium (but closer to light) with a light, even carbonation, a thin body and a slight oiliness. Overall, a pretty decent porter - great nose, but falls apart in the flavor profile and mouthfeel. A decent porter, but nothing to write home about.

3.02/5  rDev -19.5%

Bottles brought back to me by my girlfriend from a trip to Maryland. She does love me!

Pours a dark brown, almost black, with a half inch head and not much lacing.

Smells very rich, purely peanut butter. Surprisingly smells like real, fresh peanut butter. There's some chocolate buried beneath the peanut butter assault, as well as some roasted peanuts.

The taste is a slight let down from the aroma. In the aroma, the peanut butter seems genuine, in the taste, it seems a bit artificial. Mind you, it still tastes good, but I'd prefer a more "authentic" peanut butter experience. There's some Hershey's syrup and cocoa powder flavors as well. Pretty tasty, but gets a bit cloying near the end. Very sweet.

Medium bodied, was expecting it to be a bit thicker, due to how thick peanut butter is. Just a little bit too thin for me. Low carbonation, creamy mouthfeel.

Overall not too bad, but it seems like they use artificial flavor instead of real peanut butter. I understand the cost implications, but this would've been a lot better using real peanut butter.

Edit: Later bottles got way worse here. The peanut butter taste in other bottles I had was sickly sweet artificial, almost vomit-like. Really off putting. Adjusting taste score way down. Aroma was still decent.

4.44/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Not the first time I've had this. This is one of the beers that got my excited about craft beer.

Look: Black, but with very dark tint of red when held to the light. Very light tan colored head. Starts to slowly dissipate.

Smell: Man oh man, the smell might be the best part. Like snuffing your nose into a jar of Jif. The chocolate is there, but the peanut butter is dominate. Almost salty, like a sweet and salty granola bar!

Taste: Identical, in every way, to the smell.

Feel: Very creamy and smooth.

Overall: What's strange is, I was never a really big chocolate/peanut butter fan until I drank not only this, but Big Gruesome. Then anytime I had a brownie or any chocolate dessert, I added a dollop of peanut butter. I want to say I prefer Big Gruesome over this, which I have also reviewed, but I'd really have to try them back to back.

3.74/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

peanut butter is a gnarly ingredient in beer. i mean, brilliant, but when do you add it? i can't see it working in a mash, maybe in a bright tank, but wouldn't it all congeal all weird in the cold and not impart much flavor? if it was added hot, wouldn't it melt and make a greasy beer with no ability to hold a head? lots of questions, and this beer doesn't answer a single one, but i like it for trying. i think my problem with this one is the base beer, not a real robust or full enough bodied porter for the flavors its trying to support. nutty not the nose, more peanuts than peanut butter per se, which I'm fine with, and a cocoa finish. bitter malt and maybe a little over hopped in the taste, but i like the integration of the peanut flavor. more chocolate would help this i think, as would m,pre body on the base beer, but the level of roast is nice and works with the nut complex, and the carbonation is there. seems like it was fermented a little too arm or something, i get a slight staleness to the yeast, but other than that, i enjoyed this quite a lot. could use a few tweaks, but a very cool use of a tricky and perplexing ingredient.

4.49/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

After the sample from the bartender, I had to think about this one a while. But for the next 10 minutes, all I could think about was the wonderful aroma of sweet nuts (maybe a bit like almonds, though peanut was there too) and the sweet chocolate flavor.

I went back and got a full pint, and I was not disappointed. This Porter was plenty sweet enough, though a few reviews said otherwise.
The only distraction was the feel, which was very nice but could be described almost oily - but hey, we are talking about peanuts here.
There was just enough carbonation (I am not a big fan) to improve the mouth feel, and I drank this beer much faster than most!

I TALKED ABOUT THIS CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER PORTER MOST OF THE NEXT DAY!
Can't wait to get back to Maryland!!!

4.17/5  rDev +11.2%

My oh my! De-li-sh!!
The sweet fragant aroma of chocolate and peanut butter emits from the glass ever so sweetly. Your nose tries to warn your mouth of whats to come.. but the smell is just the beginning. As you begin the taste Sweet Baby Jesus unleashes it's decadent power. Not an overly powerful mouth feel, making this nectar perfect to devour, alone..w/ ice cream..perhaps over some bananas foster..what?!?! Yup.

3.73/5  rDev -0.5%

Well, after seeing this beer in the store for almost a year, I decided to give it a try. I'm partially glad that I did, as this beer has some good points. OK, here goes:

A: OK - just like a generic porter. Black with a slight amber hue. It's not as dark as many English porters but dark enough to make the beer opaque. It pours a small brown head that quickly dissipates.

S: Outstanding. When they say "peanut butter" on the label, they really mean it! This beer smells like a newly-opened bag of Reeses Peanut Butter Cups or Reeses Pieces. It smells exquisite. Unfortunately, this is where the good points end.

T: Eh, just OK. Yes, the peanut buttery and nutty tastes linger on the tongue and, after a few gulps, the aroma of peanut butter becomes omnipresent on the palate. It actually gets better with repeated tastings. However, this beer lacks one thing that wound make the taste truly superb: Sweetness. I really want DuClaw to come out with an imperial porter, one with a much maltier taste. That would catapult this beer into greatness, in my opinion. The truth is, this beer is so novel that I really wanted to give it a better review. Unfortunately, the omission of a maltier taste really hampered its performance.

M: OK, like a regular porter. However, it is slightly light for its style. I expected a much heavier mouthfeel. I believe that this flaw could be corrected in an imperial porter ('Sweeter Baby Jesus'?). Anyway, there's still room for improvement.

O: The beer has potential. Again, I believe it could have been better. A maltier backbone would've improved the overall taste and quality of the beer. I await the imperial version of this porter to come out with great anticipation.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a shaker pint, the beer is a dark, black-ish coloring with a thin, low profile, foamy, light tan head. Aromas of full bore peanut butter on the nose. Seriously, it's like you just dove into the middle of a Reese's cup. Holy shit. If you really dig in there, you can get some chocolate highlights, but this bad boy is almost entirely PB on the nose. Flavors fall off a bit, but still solid, with a blast of bittersweet baker's chocolate followed rapidly by a wave of that same peanut butter character. This is one of the better applications of the peanut butter characteristic that I have encountered in the beer world. The body is light, crisp, and dry, with a rich, sweet, roasted peanut butter and chocolate aftertaste. This is a goddamn liquid candy bar. The finish is slick, clean, and dry. Amazing beer...it really is perfect for a candy loving fat guy like myself. What a fun brew!

4.41/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

If you like or love Reese's peanut butter cups this is your beer. Chocolate and peanut butter in a very nice porter. I will definitely be purchasing more and recommending to friends. This is a delightful after dinner drink, that satisfies the sweet tooth and beer craving after a nice meal. Very smooth taste, and finish. Pick some up if you can find it!

4.15/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4

Your peanut butter is in my chocolate. Ah, two great flavors in my favorite beverage! Who'd have thought something so strange would taste so good? Each balances the other well enough while the subtle sweetness helps pull it all together. A nice aroma reminiscent of a Reece's Peanut Butter Cup greets the nose as you bring the cup to the lips. A very carbonated, soda-like mouthfeel to tickle the tongue rounds it off.
This is a wonderful beer to help conclude a work week.

3.96/5  rDev +5.6%

I poured this outstanding beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was really black and I really had reservations about a beer with pnut butter. The tan head the beer poured was very nice. The beer was really good with just a touch of the pnut butter taste taste coming through a rich afterburner sorghum molasses taste I really liked. I will certainly buy this beer again.

3.69/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Dark but not pitch black, just as a porter should be

S: Very interesting, it smells of peanut butter but its got a metallic smell as well which is why I cannot rate it higher

T: Actually tastes like peanut butter without making me want to throw up. Very well done for this style

M: Solid

O: I am rating this beer for what it is, it isn't something you would drink 4 of in one night but it is good when drinking one here or there. Usually gimmicky/novelty beers like this gross me out but this one was not bad, I am a sucker for peanut butter!

4.3/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Dark and opaque with a beige foamy head. Looks rich when it pours. Nose is sweet and nutty..lots of banana as well. Very mild .. Definitely hazelnut in there on a major level. Flavor follows through with the sweetness and develops into peanut butter and sugar wafer. Mouthfeel is typical of a porter on the creamier side. Overall I love what this beer delivers..but you gotta have a sweet tooth to really dig it

3.85/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is one of those polarizing beers that you either love or you hate. It pours a dark, dark brown with minimal off-white head. It smells like chocolate and peanut butter and I'm digging it already. Taste is, SURPRISE! - peanut butter and chocolate. Medium bodied - it's basically fizzy Reeses pieces. This is an incredibly unique beer and I'm really digging it. If you can get past the fact that you're essentially drinking a liquid peanut butter cup, you'll probably dig it too - assuming you like peanut butter cups of course. Dessert beer.

Overall, while I wouldn't want to drink this on any kind of regular basis, it's very enjoyable when the mood persists. If this were slightly heavier bodied and frothier, it would be a phenomenal treat. Nitro tap please.

3.61/5  rDev -3.7%

The smell of this beer is what really gets me. It's perfect. It's a Reese's peanut butter cup straight up your nose. The taste doesn't match it; but it could be that the smell is so good that the taste really disappoints.

I also wish this were a heavier beer. Feels a little thin. I like it a little more than I don't like it, though. And when I paired it with a teaspoon of peanut butter, a little bit of magic happened.

It's okay. Worth a shot.

3.48/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer smells and looks very good. Strong peanut butter and chocolate smell. Much like a candy bar. On that note, it does taste pretty artificial. Not an authentic peanut butter flavor, which probably explains why the aroma jumps out of the glass so much. If you enjoy some foods, drinks with artificial flavoring you may still like it. I still find it plenty drinkable and enjoyable in sporadic doses.

1.4/5  rDev -62.7%

This beer is another example of how people's taste buds must vary wildly, perhaps based on individual DNA. For me, the smell and the taste both made me slightly nauseated. While there WAS an odor of peanut butter and chocolate, I found it cloying. Right from that point, it was a bit of a struggle to take the first sip. With that first sip, and the few I took thereafter, my mouth involuntarily grimaced and my body actually briefly shivered.

I can only blame myself. I bought this bottle - just the one thankfully - because the name cracked me up. A friend who had tried it previously warned me - but I figured what the heck?

As I write this, the beer is sitting next to the keyboard looking all ominous. Of the 12 ounces, I think I have sipped through maybe 3. I can continue torturing myself by forcing myself to finish this to avoid the waste of the purchase price. Or I can pour it and just accept the loss. I just closed my eyes and inhaled from the glass once again, trying to be less biased. It smelled more of chocolate milk with a bit of peanut butter. But then opening my eyes and seeing this black ale again is making me feel vaguely sick.

Obviously, a fair number of reviewers LIKE this. So, like most beers, it has hit the mark for some folks. But I cannot finish it. I just can't. The only other beer I have had to pour in recent memory was some horrible chile beer from Mexico. Honestly, I find this beer to be at least as bad as that was, and I never thought I would ever react so negatively to another beer after I tried that one.

Kudos to the brewer, though, DuClaw makes some very fine brews! Normally, I really like "out of the box" experiments with beer styles and flavors. This one just didn't work for me.

And now, I must regretfully take this glass over to the kitchen sink....

4.96/5  rDev +32.3%

I first tried this beer at the Virginia Beach Craft Beer festival. As I walked up to the booth, I was thinking to myself "peanut-butter beer? How good can it really be?" Well as soon as I got my first sip of heaven I knew it could be that good.

There should be a rating of "dangerous" because this is a beer that I can either enjoy and casually sip on, or I could drink all day and all night and not even realize it. It's a bit of a heavy beer, with just a very slight taste of chocolate. To explain exactly how it tasted, it was like a stout, Nutella, and a bunch of Reese's pieces had an orgy and this cup of deliciousness was the orgasmic outcome.

The smell was of Reese's and Guinness, and it was just as smooth as the two of them, although it could have been a bit creamier than watery. I know I'm comparing a porter to stout but I'm still not sure what the damn difference is.

Regardless, this beer is absolutely a 5/5. The only thing bad is the aftertaste, but it's of peanuts. All in all it's still a win-win. At 6.5% ABV this is truly alcoholism in a bottle.

3.06/5  rDev -18.4%

This beer is very thin and somewhat watery. The smell is very weak. The mouthfeel is lacking. The taste is disappointing. When I read chocolate peanut butter porter, I am expecting chocolate and peanut butter. The chocolate and peanut butter taste is lacking. I would not drink this again. Maybe I had an old bottle. I bet it tastes great on tap.

3.96/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A- Black with a fair amount of light coming through. Off white head quickly dissipates. Solid lacing.

S- Straight up Nutter-Butter. Milk chocolate and nutty roasted notes.

T- Interesting to say the least. Lots of roasted nuts, peanut butter, and sweet malts. Some artificial aspects, but not off putting.

M- A little thin for the style. Nice carbonation though.

O- one the better "flavored" beers I have had in a while. PB from the aroma to the flavor. It is a weird mix of flavors, but it all works for me.

2.29/5  rDev -38.9%

This gave me a new low in which to measure all other beers. WOW was this sour! not a "raspberry" sour, a "gone bad" sour. Yikes!! The reviews are all over the board, really good to (in my case) really bad. How can 1 beer be so different to so many people?

2.14/5  rDev -42.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2

Poured bottle into glass. 6.5% abv

Appearance- Very dark, almost black. Two finger head that is chocolate milk brown in color.

Smell- An inviting combination of fresh milk chocolate with a big time aroma of peanut butter. Not unlike that of candy at all.

Taste- Actually quite bland. Taste does not translate from smell. Has a sourness quality about it as well. I can barely taste the chocolate or the peanut butter. Can someone say artificial? Wait, it says that on the front of the bottle.

Mouthfeel- Medium with low carbonation.

Overall- I actually could not finish this one which says a lot from me. Unable to swallow without making a face. As stated, there is a sourness and staleness in the taste. Try it if you were curious like I was but use caution. This bottle was not expired either.

12oz bottle into a pint glass

Black body with a pancakes on the griddle type head.

strong smell of chocolate and peanut butter.

Taste as smells, with a good dash of sweey roasted malt.

Mouth is slightly on the thin side, overall, a good porter /stout.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Pours a dark brown with a very light bodied head. The head dissipates very quickly and leaves just a dark brown beer.

Smell: Characteristics of Peanut butter and subtle chocolate with some sweet vanilla. Notes are difficult to pick up off of the smell alone however.

Taste: It does what it's title describes, however, nothing more. Bland on the tail end after subtle notes of peanut butter with very little chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Customary to a porter, however I wish it was thicker since it is a peanut butter beer. That being said, It's true to it's name and has a thin body as expected.

Overall: I enjoyed this beer, but can't say I'd go out of my way for it. That being said, maybe it's just fallen off a little bit since it was bottled in December.

Sweet Baby Jesus from DuClaw Brewing Company