Sweet Baby Jesus! | DuClaw Brewing Company

Sweet Baby Jesus!Sweet Baby Jesus!

Average: 3.85 | pDev: 14.81%

Reviews: 452 | Ratings: 2,716

American Porter | 6.50% ABV

Wants   Gots

DuClaw Brewing Company
Maryland, United States
duclaw.com

Notes: Rotating availibility. First brewed in 2011, this Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter is jet black in color with a tan, rocky head, full body and creamy, luxurious mouthfeel. Its lightly sweet, malty flavor is accented by rich flavors of chocolate, coffee and peanut butter, and balanced by a subtle hop character and moderate 6.5% abv. Sweet Baby Jesus finishes smooth, dry, and roasty with lingering notes of chocolate and peanut butter so savory, you will exclaim its name!
Exceptional
Sweet Baby Jesus!Sweet Baby Jesus!
Reviews: 452 | Ratings: 2,716
3.84/5  rDev -0.3%

DuClaw's chocolate peanut butter Porter is appropriately named "Sweet Baby Jesus!". The name and the graphics on the bottle represent not only my reaction to hearing about this beer, but my reaction the first time I tried it. Since I was a kid, I have loved the chocolate-peanut butter milkshakes at Dumser's in OC, MD. So when I heard that a MD brewery had made a beer equivalent, I got weak in the knees. Anyways, on with the review...

SBJ pours a dark, cola-like brown, with a bubbly beige head that almost represents honeycombs. You can smell the chocolate and peanut butter right away, backed by very slight toastiness and alcohol.

The taste is definitely chocolate peanut butter, almost like a Reese's cup (or like a Dumser's milkshake). The novelty quickly gives way to a subtle dark fruit character before finishing with a dry, toasted flavor. While I would like for the initial flavors to stick around longer, I am somewhat thankful they didn't...as I think it could have made the beer too gimmicky.

There was nothing remarkable about the mouthfeel, though it could have been a little heavier. I think SBJ makes for a great desert beer or nightcap, and definitely hits a nostalgic note for me. Even better, this is the second DuClaw bottle I have tried that finally lived up to the Brewery's name...maybe their distribution standards are catching up with that of their brewery/restaurants.

3.99/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle, "bottled 12/14/12" stamped on the neck.

appears almost black, ruby colored in the corners when held up to the light. very good head retention, with some lacing too. smells exactly like a peanut butter chocolate cake. Awesome!
the taste isn't quite as spot on. a touch of roasty chocolate and nuttiness. mild earthy hops too. medium to thicker body, lower to medium carbonation. works well.

overall - even thought it's gimmicky, a pretty good beer. great desert!

3.77/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A: Poured a very small, cream colored head that dissipated quickly. Very dark in color but held to light appears red.

S: Strong peanut butter smell with some chocolate notes underneath. The mixture of the two remind me of coffee.

T: An excellent balance of chocolate and peanut butter flavors, but no other dominant flavors.

M: Not as thick and creamy as you might expect a chocolate stout. The carbonation is just right despite the low head.

O: While the combination of chocolate and peanut butter is not universally unique, it is unique for beer. I think the balance in the two flavors is excellent, but this unique beer is not one I will drink often.

3.62/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz. bottle poured into a curved pint glass.

A- dark brown, fairly translucent for a porter. Ruby/brown highlights. Big Khaki head, three fingers worth, but not much lacing from it.

S- Big smack of peanuts, so chocolate, and dark, roasty porter malts.

T- Peanuts, and mediocre dark malts are the main show. Some chocolate is there as well, and light hop bitterness shows up on the end as well.

M- Medium but active carbonation, drier than I was expecting or would probably like.

O- It's good, but I think it could be better with a little additional sweetness and body.

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

A: Pours out brown in color with a finger or so of cream colored head. The head sticks around for a while, but doesn't lace all that much. The beer pours out pretty clear, but hardly any light gets through the liquid in the glass. 3.5

S: The aroma is all peanut butter right up front, but once you can get beyond that the nostril is greeted by very sweet chocolate, not unlike a milk stout, and vanilla. Very sweet to curb the dryness of the peanuts. 3.5

T: The peanuts don't assault the palate on the taste like I anticipated. They're more a saving grace for what otherwise would be an absurdly sweet porter. Peanut butter starts us off, dry and salty, with the chocolate and vanilla coming second and carrying you to the end. The balance is quite nice, however. Blending the chocolate and peanut butter (a match made in heaven) in a way that I quite enjoy. 4

MF: A bit thinner than I prefer, with a lower than average carbonation. The finish is very dry, but I like it. I found the beer to be very drinkable despite its sweetness. 3.5

O: This was good, but not my favorite peanut butter beer out there. I actually want more peanut butter in this one. Great beer, won't have an issue putting down a 6er. 3.5

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

12oz bottle poured into East End tulip, thanks Greg (uvm2003) for the hookup. Bottle date stamped on side of bottle, looks like it's maybe from early September (~3 months old).

A- Pours a dark brown that appears almost a jet black in the glass. Not much head at all and settles to a very flat top with just hints of lacing here and there. Carbonation on the low side but definitely present.

S- Peanut butter, bark, and unsweetened dark chocolate, and roasted coffee beans. Decent aroma strength, not as sweet smelling as I thought it would be, not a bad aroma but not as good as I was hoping for.

T- Very lightly sweetened bitter dark chocolate, a touch of peanut butter, slightly acrid coffee, subtle hop presence that adds a little bit more bitterness then anything. Again not nearly as sweet tasting as I was expecting, a little bit too bitter, like to see the peanut butter and chocolate come out a little bit more.

M- Medium bodied, carbonation definitely on the low side, finishes fairly dry.

O- I was a little bit disappointed in this brew, it definitely wasn't bad but it wasn't quite as good as I was expecting. Perhaps it might taste a little bit better fresher with the hops being a little bit more prevalent, coffee being stronger, and overall flavors being bolder. Overall a decent beer but probably not something that I'd be seeking out again even if it was fairly easily attainable in my area.

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a black color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of peanut butter, some chocolate. Taste is very flavorful. Peanut butter up front, some chocolate next, a hint of bitterness at the finish. Well done. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall is a quality brew worth seeking out.

3.96/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

First had: on tap at Bainbriedge Street Barrel House, Philly, PA

Dark brown-black pour with a monstrously creamy off-white head about three fingers thick; nice retention and blankets of lacing. (Note: this was a keg kicker.) Aroma was pretty much straight up Reese's pie. Not much else to say other than "yum." The taste reflected the nose, peanut butter, sweet chocolate, toasted bread, a bit of roast in the finish. The body was the weak point here. It was pretty smooth, but also pretty thin, and that caused the otherwise great taste to weaken after a few sips. It was still a good beer overall, and possibly the best I've had from DuClaw. This would probably be a great nitro beer.

4.06/5  rDev +5.5%

12oz Bottle poured into a snifter

A dark brown body with a creamy tan head. Some mild spider web lacing left behind as the cap falls to a thin layer. Robust porter notes of dark malts, cocoa, and roast with a layer of peanut butter over top. Strong peanut nose. On the palate, milk chocolate/cocoa rolls over the palate first with medium roast coming through mid palate and peanut butter quickly in tow. The finish is some lingering sweet chocolate, peanut butter, and mild roast. Smooth, creamy feel with low carbonation. A little on the lighter side of medium bodied. I've had a couple of these chocolate/peanut butter beers lately and this is easily the most peanut forward and tasty of the bunch.

4.7/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Loved the advertising for this beer and it was everything as advertised by DuClaw Brewery!!!! You knew what you were getting when you ordered it, a chocolate peanut butter porter.

Appearance: A dark, nearly black pour with a off white but not quite brown head that lasted a few minutes before disipating.

Smell: You get what you expect. A lot of chocolate with a peanut butter...someone else described it as smelling like peanut butter fudge and I totally agree. The aroma alone would sell me on this!!!

Taste: Right off the bat the chocolate come through, a roasted cocoa followed quickly by a dark chocolate taste as the peanut butter come in and lingers until the last bitterness fades. I totally loved it and I like big hop beers.

Mouthfeel: I expected it to be really thick but was pleasantly surprised it was full body and not syrupy. Very well done porter.

Overall: I totally looked forward to this when it was first advertised and it didn't disappoint in my opinion. It's not one that I would drink all night, but for a starter or a after dinner beer it hits the spot. I make a special trip down from Delaware every few months to try DuClaws brews (hopefully they start shipping to upstate Delaware soon) and they might miss on one or two, but this one was just as advertised and a home run in my opinion!!!

3.95/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 oz. bottle poured into a Cigar City snifter. Bottled 1/9/13.

A - Pours nearly black with just a halo of almond carbonation around the edge. The lacing it leaves behind is a perfect hierarchy of rings.

S - Sweet roasty aroma with tons of cocoa and an obvious peanut butter addition. I have described porters as "nutty" before, but this takes it to a whole new level. Smells like peanut butter fudge swirl ice cream. Creamy, chocolaty, peanut buttery goodness in the aroma. Like ST Choklat, you may be hard pressed to identify this as a beer in a blind smelling, but I certainly won't knock it for that. Smells delicious.

T - Starts with a wet roasted barley sweetness. Slightly bitter dark chocolate follows, with a creamy vanilla counter. Some peanut butter comes through on the back end and carries through to the finish. The first sign of hops comes on the slight drying bitterness of the aftertaste. Different but good.

M - The body is appropriately full for a porter, but I think an even thicker mouthfeel would suit these flavors better. Good carbonation.

O - I have been excited for this one since I first heard Duclaw was planning to release it. The aroma is certainly the highlight here, but the flavor doesn't really disappoint for an experimental-type brew. The peanut butter works pretty well, although I probably wouldn't drink more than one of these in a sitting. I highly recommend trying it so you can judge for yourself. I am happy I picked up a few bottles, but I won't be rushing back to the store for a case.

3.68/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

1716th Review on BA
Bottle to 12oz Nonic
12oz

Thanks to TroyG2352 for this one

App- Out of the bottle this was a pretty standard brown color with a fairly light chestnut brown edges to it. The head was a nice foamy looking tan with a puck look as it slid down the glass. A nice amount of cling was there and then left.

Smell- It did smell like a PB cup. Smelled like peanut dust really with bakers chocolate. A bit light on the aroma. Had to take a few large pulls to find some balance in it with the malts. Id call it a touch bitter as well on the finish and as it warmed.

Taste- You could right off the bat, call this a porter. It took a couple sips to really get more of the flavors as they warmed and came out. The peanut was 1st and then the chocolates came next and then the malty light roasted notes came out as well. As more warm the nice balanced chocoalate was key to making this a better tasting beer.

Mouth- Its a bit of a lighter body. What I would naturally expect from a porter. A lighter medium carbonation level. Residual peanut and chocoalate but not a peanut butter flavor. More dust.

Drink- I get what they were trying to accomplish. Tasty little beer, but not being a PB fan, just wasnt for me.

3.57/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Shared by the Rhino.

The beer is brown with ruby highlights. Light tan hued head that measures about an inch. The aroma brings peanut butter, nuts, circus peanuts. Similar flavor with some earthy tones, subtle chocolate. Milk chocolate with peanuts in the finish. Pretty thin in body. Nutty flavors dominate a bit too much. Good in small doses.

3.95/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to MillerBuffoon for letting me try one of these. This poured out as a very deep brown color with a brown head on top. The retention is thin, the lacing is scattered. The smell of this beer is loaded with roasted peanuts and dark malts. The taste of the beer is chocolatey with a really good peanut flavor in there too. The mouthfeel of the beer is smooth, kind of light bodied and smooth. Overall this beer was pretty good. It's more of a dessert beer but it's not overwhelmingly sweet. It's interesting though. I like it.

3.13/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A-very dark brown with a thin light tan head

S-very chocolatey with a very evident hint of peanut butter. smells good, but almost artificial

T-comes in with an oddly tart and bitter flavor of cocoa malts. it tastes artificial and not exactly well done. matching after-taste with a weird hint of mint.

M-medium carbonation with a watery finish

O-i got so excited when i saw a peanut butter beer, but this was such a let down. the peanut butter was lost in the flavor, which doesn't matter because it was just a terrible porter either way. the flavors are all artificial and there's a lot of off flavor to it.

3.86/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Enjoyed this on tap at Duclaw in Bowie, MD.

A: Pours a dark black hue with a thin 1-finger tan head that quickly dissipates into a thin wispy lace.

S: Sweet aroma – mostly consisting of chocolate and peanut butter as advertised.

T: Just like the aroma the flavor consists of peanut butter and chocolate. There are some coffee notes and finishes slightly sweet.

M: Thick body and minimal carbonation.

O: I enjoyed this brew – I wouldn't drink more than one in any sitting – but is a good brew.

3.65/5  rDev -5.2%

A - A thin half finger's worth of light khaki colored head that is equal parts crisp and lush with a couple of big chunky bubbles mixed in... Minimal retention gives way a full but slightly uneven veil of lacing... The color is a deep dark brown... Lots of micro bubbled rapid paced carbonation swirling within...

S - The peanut notes are smack at the forefront... Roasted peanuts dominate the aroma throughout... Roasted malts... Some light chocolate notes...

T - The flavor follow the aroma identically... Roasted peanuts... Some dark bitter chocolate... A nice hint of roasted malts...

M - Medium bodied... Even and consistent... Clean and crisp... Limited carbonation...

D - Not my favorite, but I should have known better not being a fan of peanut butter in the first place... Interesting none the less... A true artistic expression from DuClaw...

3.44/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Picked up at Whole Foods.

Looks black at a glance but brown and cherry when held to the light. There's a nice, chunky tan head on this that leaves some nice lace behind.

Smelling this, all I really get is tootsie roll, bran flakes and a touch of vanilla. I'm a little leery of the potency of the chocolate here as to doesn't strike me as natural. If it is, it sure doesn't seem so.

Things are a little more balanced and reassuring in the flavor. The chocolate still has a candy-like sweetness to it, but the peanut comes through beneath and nestles up with the toasted malts. There's a mild hop dryness in the finish that reminds one more of cocoa than hops. Clever.

Feels dense yet clean and smooth with a faint hint of carbonation that seems to hide inside.

Although enticing, I suspect this is naught but extract. I'm reminded of something like DFH's chocolate and peanut butter vodka. Does this really influence the quality of the beer? Yeah, it kinda does.

3.71/5  rDev -3.6%

Picked up a bottle of this at Capone's the other day. Poured into a balloon glass.

Sweet Baby Jesus pours a deep brown color with ruby red highlights when held to the light. The khaki colored head sits about a finger deep and then proceeds to collapse to a very thin layer on top and seems to start clinging to the glass.

The aroma is awesome! This is like sticking your nose into a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. Definitely has sweet chocolate notes underneath a bolder, savory peanut butter aroma. Exactly as promised and I gotta hand it to them for nailing this.

Taste is nowhere near as bold as the aroma. It has a sharp, metallic taste at first but as it warms, the flavors develop a bit more. There is the same flavor as the aroma, with a bit of chocolate and peanut butter, though it is a bit thinner than I was expecting.

The body is thinner than I would expect for a 6.5 % abv porter, and certainly thinner than I was hoping. The carbonation is active and robust though, so I give it good marks for that.

Overall, DuClaw delivered a pretty solid Peanut Butter Chocolate Porter. My only qualms with this beer was the thin flavor and body which I was really hoping would be more robust. I wouldn't buy this again, but I am glad I got to try it, and I love the packaging and name.

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

Served on-tap at Al's of Hampden.

A - Pours dark brown with a small off white head leaving spotty trails of thin lace down the top part of the glass.

S - Smells of fresh toasted peanuts, bakers chocolate and the dark roasted grain. The nuts are strong, combining with the chocolate to make this ones nose exactly as advertised.

T - Tastes just like it smells, maybe with a bit less nuts, making it a bit more balanced. Some light hop bitterness comes through as it warms up. Finish is roasty, lingering on the palate for quite awhile after consumption.

M - Heavy body with moderate carbonation. Smooth, roasty feel. Finish is roasty, lingering for quite awhile.

O- Overall a pretty good chocolate PB beer but not the best I have had. Definitely worth a shot if your into this kind of beer, just don't expect the something mind blowing.

3.62/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at pinocchio's in media, pa.

Pours nearly clear and dark brown, with a small head that settles quickly and minimal lacing. Big time peanut butter Reese's aroma with light roasty and coffee notes and hints of bittersweet chocolate. The flavor is a little thin and weak in comparison, with roasted malt and bittersweet chocolate augmented by moderate amounts of peanut butter and coffee flavors. Finish is mostly dry with some lingering bitterness in the aftertaste.

Medium carbonation with medium to slightly light body. In keeping with the flavor, the feel is a little watery and overall the beer while a novelty is a bit disappointing. Worth a try but not the delicious peanut butter dessert I'd hoped for.

3.36/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured into a shaker pint.

Appearance
Transparent dark brown with garnet highlights. Short head recedes quickly. Moderate carbonation.

Nose
Peanut butter, milk chocolate and roasted barley. It surprisingly does smell like a Reese's cup.

Taste
Roasted barley with very light nuances of semi-sweet chocolate, peanuts and cocoa. Roasty and slightly bitter on the finish. Unfortunately the taste doesn't live up to the nose.

Mouthfeel
Light-medium bodied, crisp and slightly bitter.

Overall
The flavor seems to be really lacking on this one. A bit watery.

3.7/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a wheat beer glass

A: pours a dark brown almost black with a 1.5 finger tan head that lasted a decent amount of time

S: very strong smell of roasted peanuts and chocolate, light notes of coffee

T: a full bodied beer, balanced hop flavor with notes of chocolate and aftertastes of espresso and peanut butter

M: Overall a very nice mouth feel not to heavy and not to light, I enjoy full body beer's on occasion

O: This is a great dessert beer maybe even one to end the night with, I happened to have a Reese's cup here and I decided to experiment with the flavor characteristics and I was surprised to see it work really well with rather sweet candy. I highly recommend this beer and I believe it will be a great brew offered by DuClaw

4.07/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured from a bottle into a Victory nonic

A- pours a dark, almost transparent shade of brown with a one finger tan head. The head doesn't seem very solid, lots of bubbles. Beer could be a little darker overall too

S- getting a lot of the roast from the peanuts, with hints of chocolate. Pretty much how I expected it

T- the chocolate is the predominant flavor, but I definitely get a lot of sweetness from the peanuts in the finish. Maybe not as much of a Reeses cup as people expect, but tasty

M- good solid body, nice bit of thickness...not chewy

O- I really like this. I prefer Duclaw's darker beers over their lighter ones, and this is no exception. Awesome dessert beer

3.49/5  rDev -9.4%

A: Pours thin bodied; translucent amber-brown color. No head, just a very slight amount of lacing around the glass.

S: Strong, sweet peanut butter smell. Candy-like decliciousness- pure peanut butter cup smell.

T: Thin texture, tastes mostly of peanut butter. Smooth with a bitter aftertaste. No real big hints of any chocolate. Not a bad bad beer at all; definitely unique.

Sweet Baby Jesus! from DuClaw Brewing Company