Sweet Baby Jesus | DuClaw Brewing Company

DuClaw Brewing Company
Maryland, United States
duclaw.com

Style: American Porter

First brewed in 2011, this Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter is jet black in color with a tan, rocky head, full body and creamy, luxurious mouthfeel. Its lightly sweet, malty flavor is accented by rich flavors of chocolate, coffee and peanut butter, and balanced by a subtle hop character and moderate 6.5% abv. Sweet Baby Jesus finishes smooth, dry, and roasty with lingering notes of chocolate and peanut butter so savory, you will exclaim its name!

Added by MasterSki on 12-23-2012

Ratings: 2,546 |  Reviews: 412
2.14/5  rDev -43.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2

Poured bottle into glass. 6.5% abv

Appearance- Very dark, almost black. Two finger head that is chocolate milk brown in color.

Smell- An inviting combination of fresh milk chocolate with a big time aroma of peanut butter. Not unlike that of candy at all.

Taste- Actually quite bland. Taste does not translate from smell. Has a sourness quality about it as well. I can barely taste the chocolate or the peanut butter. Can someone say artificial? Wait, it says that on the front of the bottle.

Mouthfeel- Medium with low carbonation.

Overall- I actually could not finish this one which says a lot from me. Unable to swallow without making a face. As stated, there is a sourness and staleness in the taste. Try it if you were curious like I was but use caution. This bottle was not expired either.

2.19/5  rDev -41.8%

This is my first, and last, Sweet Baby Jesus. I'm currently judging those who have recommended it to me.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a glass.
Look: Great dark color, nearly black. Tiny head that stuck around and got creamy after a while.
Smell: Initially straight up peanut butter. Pleasantly interesting! Then it hit...a fake chocolate smell. Smells like a chocolate scratch-n-sniff sticker I had in first grade. Not a good smell.
Taste: No peanut butter, a little toasty, lots of that fake, chemical-like taste. Part chocolate scratch-n-sniff sticker, part hot credit card. When that mixes with a lingering bitterness, something unpleasant happens in the aftertaste department. There might be a decent porter hiding under there, but I'm having trouble finding it.
Mouthfeel: Medium body, fairly smooth, borderline cloying.
Overall: Though the concept could work, this isn't it. I won't be rocking this baby again.

2.25/5  rDev -40.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.26/5  rDev -39.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Can't get past the fake/artificial nut smell and taste that comes with this beer (very similar to that which I get from Pumpking). Very off putting. Little to no chocolate on the nose or tongue. Had high hopes for this one but it wasn't executed well.

2.27/5  rDev -39.6%

12oz. bottle poured into a Flying Dog goblet

A: It appears very dark, pretty much black but it is actually a deep reddish brown, which you can see from the light refraction at the bottom of the glass. It pours a standard thin vanilla latte head that has some good lacing.

S: It smells quite good, almost exactly as its description. It is primarily a peanut butter smell, and I actually get more of a PB&J sandwich smell, with a nice hot dark chocolate on the side. The smell is probably the best part, but even though it smells good, the smells are a bit dull and flat. By that I mean, the smell doesn't change or seem to be actively infusing and changing.

T: BURNT! (a little bit of an inside joke that is unrelated) You get this burnt toast taste with the taste of unsweetened cacao hot chocolate (DAGOBA brand), as well as the taste of badly roasted raw peanuts. The malt in it does not help with its off-balance addition of a bit of sweetness. There isn't a single thing that I like in this.

M: This is a very smooth beer that almost has no carbonation at all. I'm not sure how I feel about this for a porter, even though I am still slightly new to them. I wish there was a bit of a carbonation feel or even a bite.

O: I have previously had a sample of this at a bar when I said I had never had a DuClaw beer. I didn't like it then, and I don't like it now. It smells ok, but it doesn't taste anything like it smells. The reason people buy this is the combination of its interesting name and the idea of having a beer that tastes like chocolate and peanut butter (nutella for the most part). This is my first DuClaw and I live in MD. They have just never attracted me, with their graphic design or reputation. I'll stick to Flying Dog. This got a drain pour, since I was already stocked up on beer bread. I probably could have gone with an even lower score.

2.29/5  rDev -39.1%

This gave me a new low in which to measure all other beers. WOW was this sour! not a "raspberry" sour, a "gone bad" sour. Yikes!! The reviews are all over the board, really good to (in my case) really bad. How can 1 beer be so different to so many people?

2.31/5  rDev -38.6%

From what I have sampled, DuClaw seems to be a gimmicky brewery, and this is the king of their gimmicky beers. The insane amount of peanut butter just blatantly jumps the shark. What you can taste about the porter isn't really all that bad, like the pleasant chocolaty malts ... but it's hard to detect anything beyond the obnoxious peanut butter. I do like brewers trying new things and being experimental, and I know several people that love this beer. But for me, this was not enjoyable and I will never be having this one again.

2.31/5  rDev -38.6%

A: Very dark, but not pitch black, with a hint of red. Extremely light carbonation when poured.

S: Extremely powerful nose of peanut butter, a potential slight chocolate aroma but the peanut butter dominates.

T: No shortage flavors going on. Somewhat bitter initially which suggests dark chocolate then finishing with some odd off-tastes. Also, the powerful flavors start to overwhelm the palate so the later sips are not as overpowering as the initial ones. The dark malt body and any hops that may be present are overwhelmed by the syrupy tasting flavor additives.

M: The initial finish is dry and not thick at all in body, but it somehow leaves mouth feeling sweet and sticky.

O: This is a beer that must be drank in small doses. Fine for splitting with a friend at the end of the night but it really does a number on the palate. Certainly infused with chocolate and peanut butter flavors as advertised but the flavors are somewhat harsh and don't seem as balance as they could be.

2.38/5  rDev -36.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

2.4/5  rDev -36.2%

2.42/5  rDev -35.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

I can't understand why this gets such good ratings. Tastes like someone rinsed out the inside of an empty jar of peanut butter with beer and put it back in the bottle.

The worst part is the smell -- the slightly rancid, woody peanut smell. I couldn't finish the bottle.

The only reason I am not rating this even lower is it seems like it would have been a good porter if they hadn't ruined it with the peanuts. Even the chocolate would have been OK.

2.44/5  rDev -35.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Much like a coffee stout but too much like a Starbucks beverage

2.46/5  rDev -34.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

2.47/5  rDev -34.3%

Little to no head- sweet synthetic chocolate scent. The peanut butter part is subtle. I'd recommend drinking this from the bottle to avoid smell. Still a good porter. Would advise to try

2.48/5  rDev -34%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured black with a one finger tan head. Moderate lacing. Initial aroma was chocolate quickly followed by an artificial peanut butter candy-like odor. The porter is ok but the PB flavor just overwhelms this beer. Medium body and carbonation. I bought this to try, not really expecting to like it. And, this is my last.

Sweet Baby Jesus from DuClaw Brewing Company