Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Oz Fractional IPA | DuClaw Brewing Company

DuClaw Brewing Company
Maryland, United States
duclaw.com

Style: American IPA

Uses Simcoe and Citra hops.

Added by gillagorilla on 05-14-2013

2.1/5  rDev -36.6%

On tap at Max's Taphouse (from notes). I will be honest that I wasn't sure what to call the beer due to their use of fractional, as in Oz Fractional IPA. Also, I had the MOSA cask version, which has orange zest in it (the cask).

A: Translucent, golden yellow looks like a standard BMC macro. There is a half a finger head that lingers that is quite stable and lingers for a while.

S: Very light and floral, with no pine notes at all. It is all citrus, like a freshly peeled grapefruit.

T: It tastes like the mesocarp (white fleshy part between the fruit and skin of a citrus fruit) of a grapefruit. It has the zest bitterness of that combined with a very minimal hop bitterness. Actually, it is quite unique with the flavor addition from the zests. Very watery, but that might be from the cask. The zest brings out the citrus but that is it. Flavor is very faint.

M: Goes down like water. No carbonation and no bubbles whatsoever. No coarseness. Absolutely smooth all around. The smoothest beer I have ever had.

O: I am not a fan of this at all, but it is definitely sessionable and my first low ABV IPA (I think). The bitterness of the zest in it is interesting, but it is watery and almost undrinkable to me. I returned it to the bartender about half way through my pint.

2.64/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I am now committed to reducing, if not eradicating, my backlog of bottles. This one was part of a local, in-person trade with tone77. Here is another one that came to me without an existing pic and I had to await approval before proceeding. The backlog is not entirely my fault.

From the bottle: "More sorcery than science, our Fractional IPA achieves the impossible: combining a dazzling blend of Simcoe and Citra hops, a crisp, clean body, and dry, refreshing finish into an astoundingly drinkable beer. It's no illusion, just ... #FollowTheYellowBrickRoad"; "Respect_the_Fluid"; "Craft Be Cherished. Rules Be Damned."

I assume from the ABV that this is supposed to be one of those "Session IPAs". I took out my anger and frustration at this travesty by letting it fly from the bottle into the glass. Boom! Pseudo-cascade and then two dense, puffy fingers of bone-white head with good retention. Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy pale yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4). Nose had a barnyard-like hay smell that I have been noticing in a lot of these new low-ABV AIPAs. There was also a lemony citrus odor, but hay was what jumped out. Mouthfeel was kind of thin. Great sticky lacing began to line the glass as I drank. I was underwhelmed by the grapefruit citrus taste due to its muted state. I keep thinking that this must have been what drinkers of AALs felt like when light beers began hitting the market. Miller is taking great pride in the anniversary of the release of Miller Lite this year, but I would not be proud of a sessionable AIPA. The finish was dry, airy, I could have been drinking cotton. Bah.

2.72/5  rDev -17.8%

12 oz bottle into a normal glass.

A: Pours a pale straw color with excellent clarity. There's lots of fluffy head here, about three fingers high, with a white shade. It fades away at a rate quicker than I'd expect from a low ABV brew. The lacing, however, is phenomenal.

S: This has...well, not exactly a wallop of Citra and Simcoe...but the hops are certainly noticeable. They provide notes of mango, papaya, grapefruit, lemon, and some cattiness. Maltiness is nonexistent - as it should be in a low-ABV IPA.

T: At first, I get subtle touches of mango, grapefruit, lemon, and OH SHIT BACK END IS SOAPY AS HELL. Best thing I can say here is that the soap/ammonia qualities calm down some as more is sipped. Still, it utterly destroys what should have been a quality brew.

M: On the plus side, DuClaw got the body right: it's light and crisp, not really watery, without obnoxious carbonation. If only the flavor didn't suck...if only...

O: This makes me sad, because it SHOULD have been a winner. A low-ABV IPA (a style I'm starting to fall in love with) brewed with Citra and Simcoe (two hop strains I really enjoy) made by a local brewer (meaning I can get it readily and freshly), how could this bomb? Well, bomb it did, due to how hilariously soapy the hops come across - it's almost as if I took a swig of dishwater. It could be good with a few tweaks, but in its current state, it should be skipped.

2.86/5  rDev -13.6%

I am a fan of the Duclaw Brewing Company, but this 4.4% ABV offer was not anything special. It didn't taste much different than the "macro-brew Big 3" commercial offers. I was disappointed because I expected more than an Anheuser-Busch tasting product from DuClaw.

Snagged a bottle for about $2.50. Into a pint glass.
A - Very clear yellow bright but hazy in color. Decent head just a 1/4 inch but has a lace ring throughout.
S - Has a slight hop profile very faint but its there. Malts and hidden and seems average.
T - Taste is Just OK sure it has some hop taste but nowhere interesting and sure its light but I would rather slam a high volume DIPA with more flavor. Pity.
M - Light to medium but way too light to drink. Why did I buy this?

Overall its pretty on Par with session IPA's. Not sure why I buy them they are always just above average.

3.15/5  rDev -4.8%

This was a nice low ABA (4,4%) session beer, that I might get again in a pinch. It was not very hoppy or floral but rather “sharp” tasting. Not very memorable but not a bad beer. All in all about what I expect from DuClaw (competent, but not exiting)

3.25/5  rDev -1.8%