Oz Fractional IPA | DuClaw Brewing Company

DuClaw Brewing Company
Maryland, United States
duclaw.com

Style: American IPA

Uses Simcoe and Citra hops.

Added by gillagorilla on 05-14-2013

Liked:
3.31/5
Alströms:

3.5/5  rDev +5.7%

2.64/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I am now committed to reducing, if not eradicating, my backlog of bottles. This one was part of a local, in-person trade with tone77. Here is another one that came to me without an existing pic and I had to await approval before proceeding. The backlog is not entirely my fault.

From the bottle: "More sorcery than science, our Fractional IPA achieves the impossible: combining a dazzling blend of Simcoe and Citra hops, a crisp, clean body, and dry, refreshing finish into an astoundingly drinkable beer. It's no illusion, just ... #FollowTheYellowBrickRoad"; "Respect_the_Fluid"; "Craft Be Cherished. Rules Be Damned."

I assume from the ABV that this is supposed to be one of those "Session IPAs". I took out my anger and frustration at this travesty by letting it fly from the bottle into the glass. Boom! Pseudo-cascade and then two dense, puffy fingers of bone-white head with good retention. Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy pale yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4). Nose had a barnyard-like hay smell that I have been noticing in a lot of these new low-ABV AIPAs. There was also a lemony citrus odor, but hay was what jumped out. Mouthfeel was kind of thin. Great sticky lacing began to line the glass as I drank. I was underwhelmed by the grapefruit citrus taste due to its muted state. I keep thinking that this must have been what drinkers of AALs felt like when light beers began hitting the market. Miller is taking great pride in the anniversary of the release of Miller Lite this year, but I would not be proud of a sessionable AIPA. The finish was dry, airy, I could have been drinking cotton. Bah.

3.75/5  rDev +13.3%

3.5/5  rDev +5.7%

3.75/5  rDev +13.3%

Snagged a bottle for about $2.50. Into a pint glass.
A - Very clear yellow bright but hazy in color. Decent head just a 1/4 inch but has a lace ring throughout.
S - Has a slight hop profile very faint but its there. Malts and hidden and seems average.
T - Taste is Just OK sure it has some hop taste but nowhere interesting and sure its light but I would rather slam a high volume DIPA with more flavor. Pity.
M - Light to medium but way too light to drink. Why did I buy this?

Overall its pretty on Par with session IPA's. Not sure why I buy them they are always just above average.

2.72/5  rDev -17.8%

12 oz bottle into a normal glass.

A: Pours a pale straw color with excellent clarity. There's lots of fluffy head here, about three fingers high, with a white shade. It fades away at a rate quicker than I'd expect from a low ABV brew. The lacing, however, is phenomenal.

S: This has...well, not exactly a wallop of Citra and Simcoe...but the hops are certainly noticeable. They provide notes of mango, papaya, grapefruit, lemon, and some cattiness. Maltiness is nonexistent - as it should be in a low-ABV IPA.

T: At first, I get subtle touches of mango, grapefruit, lemon, and OH SHIT BACK END IS SOAPY AS HELL. Best thing I can say here is that the soap/ammonia qualities calm down some as more is sipped. Still, it utterly destroys what should have been a quality brew.

M: On the plus side, DuClaw got the body right: it's light and crisp, not really watery, without obnoxious carbonation. If only the flavor didn't suck...if only...

O: This makes me sad, because it SHOULD have been a winner. A low-ABV IPA (a style I'm starting to fall in love with) brewed with Citra and Simcoe (two hop strains I really enjoy) made by a local brewer (meaning I can get it readily and freshly), how could this bomb? Well, bomb it did, due to how hilariously soapy the hops come across - it's almost as if I took a swig of dishwater. It could be good with a few tweaks, but in its current state, it should be skipped.

3.4/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A- Crystal clear pale straw colored body. Lots of carbonation bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass. Big foamy off-white head that hangs around and leaves some lacing.

S- Lots of floral and piney hops. Slight hint of tropical mango and pineapple as well.

T- Lots of sweet malty flavors mixed in with some of the floral hops. Really not IPA-like at all. Somewhat bready flavor like a lager yeast is present along with a slight metallic taste. Not awful, but not great either.

M- Very light bodied with a somewhat sticky feel. Medium carbonation and very drinkable with a slight metallic aftertaste.

O- I had high hopes for this one since I enjoyed Founders All-Day IPA and Lagunitas Daytime. This one is nowhere near as good as those options.

Oz Fractional IPA from DuClaw Brewing Company