IPA | Lucky Bucket Brewing Co.

good
IPAIPA

Lucky Bucket Brewing Co.
Nebraska, United States
luckybucketbrewing.com

Style: American IPA

India Pale Ale is about balance. The right balance of malt, hop flavor, bitterness, and aroma to create an unforgettable ale. Lucky Bucket's Original American IPA begins with a nice malt bill that lets the brew stand up to the mountain of hops added later. After the boil, the hot wort (the beer before it's really beer) is fired through a hop back, a unique four-barrel stainless steel tank filled with a gratuitous amount of raw flower Amarillo, Centennial, and Cascade hops, extracting the aromatic oils and flavor of the hops. Followed with additional dry hopping in the fermenter, the end result is a big, well-balanced West Coast-style IPA with terrific hop flavor and aroma. Lucky Bucket IPA weighs in at 65 IBUs and 6.3% ABV.

Added by RedHaze on 05-23-2010

1.25/5  rDev -65.7%

1.72/5  rDev -52.7%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Hazy orange to the point of opaqueness. One finger frothy off-white head.

Aroma: Honestly pretty bad. Smells like old apple cider.

Taste: Almost afraid to take a sip after that bad aroma. Tastes like metallic rotten fruit. Drain pour after two sips.

Mouthfeel: Medium in body with lots of carbonation.

Final Thoughts: One of the worst experiences I've had trying a new beer. No bottled on or enjoy by date so I don't feel bad giving a poor grade. Would I drink it again? Only if the head brewer handed it to me himself.

1.96/5  rDev -46.2%

2.41/5  rDev -33.8%

Prelude: So I have a nice symbiotic trading relationship with a beer drinking buddy, his wife got him a beer of the month thing where he gets 3 bottles of each of 4 new beers each month (2 are domestic "craft" beers, 2 are imports). 12 bottles total. He saves 1 of each for me and I, in return, give him 2 bombers of different homebrews. So I get to try 4 new beers a month, sadly most rate a "B" here and this one really should be lower than that.

Rating: I could not resist opening the IPA first (others were a Brown Ale from Michigan Brewing - very good!, a stout from Jamaica, and a Pilsner from Germany) as I love hops.

Appearance was fairly amber with a nice head.

Aroma was merely ok not a lot of clearly discernible hops, but still no off flavors. I looked but could not find a "best by" or "bottled on" date. So maybe it was muted by age.

Taste was where I knew the beer was a failure, there was an off flavor that was not merely that of older hops or oxidation, more like an astringent flavor possibly suggesting an infection or possibly some weird hop utilization (non-full boil jammed full of hops then watered down?). Hard to tell where the hop bitterness ended and this astringent/off flavor began. Like a bad home brew. I finished it but then I rarely drain pour. Put me in mind of another failure I was moved to review (the Tule Duck beer in cans from NV).

Mouthfeel and drinkability were similarly compromised by the taste issue. I should add that it had a fairly carmely/malty flavor for an IPA, usually not my preference, but at least the sweet malt partly masked the off flavor.

2.78/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

After reviewing Lucky Bucket's Certified Evil, and their pre-prohibition lager with rave reviews.... I was looking forward to this brew very much. I truly am sorry to say, I was disappointed.

Appearance was a little darker than most IPA's. Darker caramel malt must be an addition to give it its dark amber appearance.

Aroma was merely ok. Neither overly hoppy, nor fruity. I didn't detect enough hops in the nose. I would have liked to see an addition of Centennial at flameout to add a really nice aroma. If they do this, maybe dry hopping would be nice. It just didn't have a GREAT hop aroma... it was average.

Taste was where I was most disappointed. It tasted somewhat astringent to me... even a little hint of a solvent like flavor. I don't know what the bittering hops are, but I didn't find the bitterness to be smooth at all. It was an aggressive bittering hop, just not very smooth.

Mouthfeel was fine. Lingers a little on the tongue after it goes down. Pretty nice.

Drinkable? Not more than 1 or 2. Too harsh and astringent for me. And I'm a hophead.

I really wanted to like this beer, since I found their previous offerings so nice. I'm a hophead who LOVES hops. Just not whatever hops are in this. Sorry Lucky Bucket! I truly feel bad for reviewing this beer this poorly. Hope your Octoberfest is good!

2.8/5  rDev -23.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass.

Appearance- pours a dark straw color, with a thin white head that retains nicely and leaves a gorgeous amount of lacing around my glass.

Smell- Very floral, and citrusy, very intriguing.

Taste- not good. hoppy, floral, but a bad, strange aftertaste. I'm an IPA fan so I'm used to a strong hoppy aftertaste, but theres something here, that I don't quite like.

Overall- Finishes high in all categories except taste. Looks beautiful, smells beautiful, tastes awful. And if a beer tastes terribly, then none of the other qualities matter.

2.82/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Probably the most amber-orange IPA I've ever had - almost like a dark OFest, with a huge creamy gold head - more than a 1/4". A bit of darker brown rings the outer edge around the top.

Smells of tobacco and a bit of citrus - not overwhelming for an IPA though.

Heavy on the tobacco - not in a smokey way though, but in a more leafy way. Like a slow-soaking leaf in the pocket of your mouth, releasing on the tongue. Seems to be about the only thing going though - less citrus than on the nose.

Not bad in the mouth - maybe a little less carbonation than other IPAs, but adequate.

I usually like IPAs in the summer, but this one is far too heavy to enjoy this time of year. But it doesn't have the body to enjoy it as it gets cooler - I'm lost as to when I should drink this beer.

2.84/5  rDev -22%

A-Dark tan colored...

S-Odd...almost smells off...tea like I guess...herbal...perhaps some overripe slightly spoiled tropical fruits.

T-More malty than hoppy....I just drank a sweet whit before this too so I was worried the hops would be biting....not the case...call the hops herbal...malt a little toffee like...no off flavors that I was worried about from the smell..

M-Medium bodied...dryish the more you drink it...

O-Not horrible but below average. There are so many solid IPA's out there. This is not one of them. If you like in Nebraska and want to support the local brewery hey more power to you but this can't stack up with the multitude of IPA's now available in Minnesota.

2.93/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

IPA from Lucky Bucket Brewing Co.