Mastedon Barleywine | Lucky Bucket Brewing Co.

Awaiting 10 Reviews

4.5/5  rDev +21%

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

3.6/5  rDev -3.2%

this is a beer that perplexes me with it's anonymity. At the time I ordered and received the keg, there was no information to be found anywhere. No reviews online, nothing on their website. Eventually, I found it on untappd, so people are out there drinking it, but no one is writing about it. Are there no BeerAdvocates of R*&(B#$%ians in Omaha? Or does no one care, at all? It sat in the cooler for months, until Imperial March, and now it's back on, so I'm sitting down with a glass of it, and yet, all this time later, still no reviews! It is actually listed on R***B***, with no ratings, and this information: COMMERCIAL DESCRIPTION
A whopping 10% ABV this darkly malted monster will be good for years to come, but you can enjoy now. A meeting of the malt minds Nebraska stopover : from the West coast where we hop it up, to the U.K where the style is born, Zac’s genius pins the beer, and whorls the styles, in a balanced display of layered malt, and robust rich grain sweetness balanced by hops and culminating in a very drinkable high octane beer.

Still, no rating, and they are not a stingy bunch. But then, they don't do a ton of ratings at a bars, and I believe this is a draft-only release. Nonetheless, I suppose I should be the first to write about it, shouldn't I? Away, we go!

Deep crimson coloring, under a solid, off-white slab of froth. Looks great, so far.

Aroma: sweetness and hops, rich malt, but nothing too huge or hot, and I'm getting glimpses of the flavors I find in the biggest and baddest barley-wines, but here they are fairly muffled. Red wine, cognac, dark fruit, wood, leather.

Taste: thick malty flavor floods the mouth...to a point. This should be a common refrain in any deep analysis of this brew. Has this flavor...to a point. Delivers that feeling...to a point. It's no monster, no kin to Bigfoot, only a little brother of baby cousin, or something. "How about if we made a dainty li'l barley-wine", they seem to be saying. Hops are here, alcohol is, and malt is definitely working it, but the pursuit of balance and drinkability hobbles this effort some.

A surprisingly smooth barley-wine, and drinkable despite the 10%. Unfortunately, it's meekness makes it rather forgettable. Very clean, flagged with the classic flavors, but unremarkable. Not likely to impress anyone.

Mastedon Barleywine from Lucky Bucket Brewing Co.