Rein Pale Ale | The Olde Mecklenburg Brewery

Rein Pale AleRein Pale Ale

The Olde Mecklenburg Brewery
North Carolina, United States
oldemeckbrew.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

A "Reinheitsgebot Compliant" Pale Ale: a hybrid between an American Pale Ale and a crisp, refreshing German lager; it has a nice malt backbone courtesy of premium Pilsner, Vienna, Caramel and Honey malts, perfectly balanced with a pleasant and mildly spicy bitterness courtesy of Tettnang and Saaz hops. Very satisfying.

Added by CBlack85 on 02-07-2012

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

2.61/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Served from tap into a shaker. Poured a slightly hazy yellow-orange with a minimal white head. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, earth, earth hop, and hair salon. The flavor was of sweet malt, earth, earth hop, and wet hair. It had a light feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a fairly average brew. This was definitely not one of the better beers of the style that I have in my days of ticking. I only drank this one due to this fact despite the concern from my fellow BAs and our server. I should have listened. What the Hell gives beer a hair salon/wet hair flavor/aroma??? I want to know so I can avoid using it in homebrew in the future. No me gusta.

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

3.45/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

On tap in the brewery tap room, served in a pint glass.

Pours a crystal clear straw/light orange-ish color with a medium sized white head. The head recedes fairly quickly, and leaves behind a fair amount of lacing.

The nose is fairly well balanced. The hop profile is mainly spicy and floral, I believe they have Tettnang, and Saaz hops. Very clean and straight forward. The malt presence is light and crisp with just a bit of graininess from the pilsner malts.

The taste follows the nose very closely. Noble hop profile; earthy, floral, and spicy. The malts slightly sweet with notes of caramel, and a lightly bready profile. Medium bodied and moderately carbonated. Very easy to drink.

Overall this is a decent pale ale but nothing that really blows your socks off.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last