Brother David's Triple Abbey Style Ale | Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Brother David's Triple Abbey Style AleBrother David's Triple Abbey Style Ale

Anderson Valley Brewing Company
avbc.com

Style: Tripel

Similar to Belgian-style Strong Pales, the Tripel is often characterized by its lighter color, spicy aromatics, and complexity. Brother David’s Triple is brewed with copious amounts of pale malts as well as Belgian candi sugar, giving it a deep golden hue, medium body and rich mouth feel. The dense head gives off aromas of candied orange peel, clover honey, pears, and a hint of freshly mown fields. The fruity esters and spicy hop flavors balance the phenolic characteristics leading to a peppery, citrusy finish.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-15-2004

4.84/5  rDev +40.3%

I do not understand all the low reviews on this beer, but i guess that just goes to show how incredibly different one pallet is from the next.

10% abv..i expected a punch in the mouth when i went to take my first sip, but this absolutely blew me away..one of the cleanest and smoothest beers i have had, maybe ever..easily in my top 3 favorite beers..a completely genius brew

some dark fruits that lead to a sweet and full taste. this was part of a mix six i made and has since become an old favorite.

4.82/5  rDev +39.7%

Split a 22oz bottle into 2 goblets, the first maintained a nice head but the second did not, this might be due to a poor pour on my part. Aroma was crisp and fruity. Obviously dubbed a triple due to alcohol and not color. Color was orangey brown, first impression was that it resembled iced tea. Tasted apples and grapes and very slight banana. Perfect balance of the alcohol and sweet fruit notes, very drinkable. Moderate lacing.

4.75/5  rDev +37.7%

4.75/5  rDev +37.7%

4.62/5  rDev +33.9%

This beer is a revelation to me, most of all, because I'm not a big fan of Anderson Valley Brewing Company in general.

Overall this beer is reminiscent of a barley wine with a a nice malty sweetness. It has a light caramel color and nose. Despite its relatively high alcoholic content, the beer is not hot at all. It tastes like its been aged in whiskey barrels.

This is a goto beer for me because I can get it at BevMo and the local corner store.

4.58/5  rDev +32.8%

I've been keeping track of my favorite samplings of single malt scotch for a while, but I've only recently done it for good beer too. Among the best lately has been Brother David's Triple. It's taste and drinkability I rate over some recent Victory products (12 and Golden Monkey). It's a better deal too up at the cash register.

4.57/5  rDev +32.5%

Served up in a tulip glass at weekly tasting with ksullnh

Appearance: Light orange, apricot color. Weak head

Smell: Slight alcohol aroma accompanied by a sour lambic aroma. Notes of nutmeg and lemon grass.

Taste: Tart, crisp opening with a sweet, malty finish on the back outside of the tongue. Very smooth for 10% ABV.

Mouthfeel: Thick and silky

Drinkability: Delicious, and only rated as 4.0 because of the high alcohol.

4.52/5  rDev +31%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.49/5  rDev +30.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Another favorite. I think it's the best tripel brewed in the U.S. Definite citrus tones, honey. Good finish with just a bit of tartness. Like La Fin Du Monde and Golden Monkey, I try to keep this one stocked all the time--when I can find it.

4.47/5  rDev +29.6%

A - Yellow-amber and quite fizzy. Nice white fluffy head that recedes pretty quickly. Bubbly.

S - Awesome aroma. Smells like champagne. Sweet honey or molasses malts with white grape, raisins, pear.

T - Yummy. White grape flavor dominates and there is a perfectly appropriate molasses malt backbone that fits right in.

M - Medium bodied, silky from the molasses malt. Sticks in your mouth and in your throat a bit. Somewhat dry. Could be more carbonated.

D - Very little alcohol taste comes through despite this being 10%. I'm impressed by how smooth this is. I wouldn't drink a whole 4 pack of these unless everyone else around me was going to do the same, though. Solid beer overall. Nice. I'll get it again. Renews my faith in Anderson after a couple disappointments.

4.44/5  rDev +28.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I love triple's and this one is good. There are others, like New Belgium's that is less pricey and nearly as good . . . .

4.42/5  rDev +28.1%

Pours a nutty orange with minimal foam and some lacing.

Lots of carbonation from inital pour from bottle
Has a very bready flavor, hints of molasses, with notes of pear, banana, & slight granny smith apple finish.
The mouthfeel is a little on the thick side.
The complexity rises as the beer gets warmer and all the flavors become more fluent.
My wife and I really enjoy this beer and find it comparable to some of the more expensive true belgian strong ales.
With its high alcohol content, this one is a sipper, and we usually find ourselves maxxed at 2.

4.41/5  rDev +27.8%

22 oz poured into my chimay chalice.
I'm not gonna go in too much depth cuz I drank it last night.

L/ poured a crisp clear golden color with a one finger white head.

S/ very fruity apricots honey spice.

T/ same as smell. Sweet a little alcohol but I like that.

MF/ smooth good carbonation

O/ good solid tasty tripel. I'd defiantly drink it again.

4.35/5  rDev +26.1%

Aromatic esters of honey enliven the olfactory when inhaled in depth.

When poured, the slightly hazy, golden honey-colored ale puts forth an effort at a decent head that soon retreats to the edges with a few slips of lacing left to decorate the surface.

A warm, caramel-honey flavor absorbs the palate as the alcohol announces itself with a flourish and infiltrates the nostrils. Seductive sweetness from the Demerara sugar lures one into holding a sip on the tongue for a moment to enjoy its delights. If you have ever sucked the juice from a cut of fresh sugar cane, this will remind you of that. The melding of hop and grain is very smooth and satisfying, with sufficient carbonation for exhilaration and a mellow, malty finish.

Presented in a twenty-two ounce brown bottle, this concoction will abet an evening of quiet introverted contemplation or joyous fraternal revelry, depending on your state of mind and intention of companionship. Best to be prepared, either way the spirit moves you.

4.34/5  rDev +25.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 22oz bomber into a tulip.

Appearance: rich golden color with lots of apparent effervescence. Relatively small head for a tripel, white in color.

Smell: sweet malt, a little wheat, a very little berry-like ester aroma and a very nice, distinct chalkiness. I quite like it.

Taste: sweet and malty with just a hint of berries. A little of the chalkiness of the aroma is present in the flavor as well. This is an incredibly solid tripel; I love it.

Mouthfeel: medium body; as the head suggests, there's relatively little carbonation for the style. I like it, but it could be improved.

Drinkability: highly smelly and tasty, the drinking experience is grand. Drinkability is exceptional considering its cocktail-like strength. I will absolutely be buying this again.

4.32/5  rDev +25.2%

The bottle freaked me out a little. Dripping with a waxy type substance, for some reason I was trying to stay away from this beer. Not to mention its mediocre reviews on BA. Did not disappoint!

Deep orange almost pumpkin-like in appearance. Very active head completely rimmed the circumference of the wide mouth wine glass it was poured into.

When I opened the bottle I was blown away (almost literally) by the florals, and the semi-sweet fruit smells. Tastes great. Nice job bringing an American touch to this beer. Sweet and lasting, lots of honey and orange. 10% good to go; definite alcohol kick, but not offensive.

As my education in craft beer grows so does my understanding. Triple is not a style I love, but it is good. I do think this beer is on par with some Belgium Triples.

4.31/5  rDev +24.9%

Tried this beer tonight and I'm truly impressed. I've always been a hug fan of Belgian beers and have found that many American breweries are besting some of the weaker Belgian brews. This is truly an exceptional beer. Anyone who thinks this beer doesn't have character and Belgian flavours doesn't want to expand their experience with flavour. Try this one.

4.3/5  rDev +24.6%

Very cool bottle with the wax on the top. Gives me a Maker's Mark feel. Pours a golden color with a tall head that has great retention and leaves great lacing on the glass. The aroma is nice - lots of spice and citrus. The flavor has a nice malt character and is quite spicy and a little peppery. I really enjoyed this beer and would have it again if not for the price.

Brother David's Triple Abbey Style Ale from Anderson Valley Brewing Company