Briney Melon Gose | Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Briney Melon GoseBriney Melon Gose

Anderson Valley Brewing Company
avbc.com

Style: Gose

Born from our passion for experimentation, our Briney Melon Gose boasts a thirst-quenching tartness that is perfectly balanced by subtle watermelon flavors and aromas. Gentle additions of sea salt create a refreshing harmony between the acidity and fruity sweetness leading to clean, dry finish.

Added by superspak on 08-04-2015

3.8

3.91/5  rDev -0.5%

Last can from the six-pack; unsure of the canning or best-by date since all I can find is a couple strings of numbers on the bottom that aren't registering as any form of date code that I'm familiar with.

Nice-looking beer -- pale golden color, mostly clear with lots of rising bubbles coming up from the bottom. Forms a huge layer of white foam upon first pouring, which shrinks down to a still-significant but much smaller layer within the first minute or so after pouring. Audibly fizzy bubbles going on in this one. Even when the glass is almost empty I can hear them!

Smell is acidic/sour right away upon pouring; after it's settled into the glass, the watermelon comes out ahead of everything else (like sniffing a watermelon rind) along with a bit of sour and some grain. Sort of a doughy grainy malt thing going on behind the watermelon and sour smells, a slight funkiness on the end at times.

Taste is that gose/Berliner type lemony-sour flavor for a moment, then the watermelon comes in strong, while the sour still hangs on just behind it. A bit of a grainy flavor on the end, but the sourness and fruit definitely are the two biggest flavors going on here. The watermelon does seem to become a bit less prominent the more I drink, though still definitely present. Seems like there's basically no sweetness despite having a traditionally-sweet fruit flavor involved -- this threw me off the first time I had a can of this, my taste buds didn't want to recognize the watermelon flavor as watermelon because there wasn't nearly as much sugar as you'd expect in a slice of watermelon!

Feel is light but not at all watery, crisp, noticeable carbonation. Sourness definitely contributes to the feel of the beer, and lingers pleasantly for a bit afterward. Extremely drinkable -- it's difficult not to take gulps at a time.

Overall, this is a beer that I wasn't really expecting to like so much (watermelon in beer is a weird concept for me), but I'm glad I tried it anyway, as it turned out to be pretty good! I've always appreciate the low-ABV sour beers like goses (at least the good ones -- I've had one or two that kinda sucked), and it's definitely nice to have the Anderson Valley gose series available around here now. I'll have to try some of the others (I know the regular, blood orange, and G&T versions are also available) at some point.

3.99/5  rDev +1.5%

This might have to be the beer I start the summer with. Such a nice combo of salty and sweet.

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.91/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.03/5  rDev +2.5%

4.19/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Perfect gose for the beach.

4.39/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.37/5  rDev +11.2%

4.3/5  rDev +9.4%

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

4.27/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.68/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.78/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.78/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great summer beer, not too tart but the melon balances the taste nicely. Very light drinking, would highly recommend if you are any kind of Gose fan

3.67/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.85/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

One last gose for the summer !
I'm glad I pushed myself because Anderson Valley's experiments are finding a better way to make gose more palatable to a much larger audience. All Anderson's different flavors, presumably from a solid base of gose, is an interesting business strategy. (I also find it unusual -- and healthy -- that a brewery in the west coast-IPA/British tradition cash cow scene is experimenting with gose... but that is a larger discussion.)

While not a particularly good Looker, Briney Melon Smells mostly tart with a little melon and salt. The Taste seems that subtle also with all moving forward in balance. Feel is semi-dry; probably easy with the tartness and salt, but not easy with the sweet melon. An interesting experiment, but I will look for next year's instead.

3.52/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.18/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Drank out of a can, can not say much about look or smell. Taste was very pleasant, not heavy on the sour but definitely salty. I haven't yet developed my taste for these types of beers, but I thought this one was very accessible. The melon is there, but subued. I suppose I would have liked a little bit of sweetness in this, but I suppose that wouldn't fit the genre! Overall, I could not see myself housing a sixer of these without getting a little sick to my stomach, but it's a very refreshing and crisp summer drink. CHEERS!!!

Roommate Mike's Quick Sip: "ocean water"

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%