Briney Melon Gose | Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Briney Melon GoseBriney Melon Gose

Anderson Valley Brewing Company
avbc.com

Style: Leipzig Gose

Born from our passion for experimentation, our Briney Melon Gose boasts a thirst-quenching tartness that is perfectly balanced by subtle watermelon flavors and aromas. Gentle additions of sea salt create a refreshing harmony between the acidity and fruity sweetness leading to clean, dry finish.

Added by superspak on 08-04-2015

Reviews by Vylo:
3.85/5  rDev -2%

3.79/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

22oz bottle - I know from experience that Anderson Valley makes some damned fine (even flavoured) Gose, but watermelon, really?

This beer pours a clear, pale golden yellow colour, with three fingers of puffy, loosely foamy, and rather fizzy off-white head, which leaves pretty much nil in terms of lace in the vicinity of the glass as it quickly blows off.

It smells of musty watermelon rind (well I'll be), a softly milky sourness, gritty, grainy pale malt, a twinge of saltine crackers, a strange flinty mineral character, and faint earthy and leafy hop bitters. The taste is big on the generic melon fruitiness off the top, with a still heady, but understatedly sour lactic astringency, some sturdy pale graininess, mild saline undertones, and a consistent and ethereal leafy and weedy hoppiness.

The carbonation is fairly low-key in its mostly underwhelming frothiness, the body medium-light in weight, and sort of smooth, as the various souring agents here seem to be in a decent enough mood right about now. It finishes off-dry, the grainy malt, fading melon notes, and lingering salty milkiness (not as bad as it sounds) lazily mucking about.

Well, the watermelon does indeed bring it, inasmuch as watermelon can, which is to say, very subtly. Other than that, another pleasantly-wrought version of this venerable Teutonic style, with that requisite lactic thing, and a down-low salty acerbity. Easy to drink, but yet again, importers: the seasonal juxtaposition of this offering is duly lacking - i.e. where be my sunny deck on which I could enjoy the rest of this? Right, it's being snowed on, presently.

4.65/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

L: Pale, clear gold with only a small fizzy head

S: A watermelon lemonade scent

T: Brisk tartness with smooth sweet melon

F: Fizzy and light

O: World Class Gose

3.87/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours two fingers of head on a clear golden body.
The aroma is the ocean and a little melon.
The taste is salt water, a bit of tartness and melon sweet.
The texture is crisp and fizzy.
A really refreshing and balanced brew.

4.54/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Very clear golden color with lots of carbonation bubbles. Initial two fingers of head from an agressive pour was seen quickly dropping off. There was some light lacing on the glass.

The smell is a nice tart pop of something like watermelon. Smells of sea salt, nice briny characters. Getting some crackers as well.

The taste is salty and tart up front followed by that melon flavor. More like the rind of the watermelon or maybe the meat closest to the rind. Also getting a little peppery flavor as well.

The mouth feel is light crisp and tart. The carbonation makes this one fizz in the mouth and finishes crisply.

We have tasted many Gose style beers from Anderson Valley and they have not let us down yet. This is a finely crafted and very delicious beer. I would love to sit on the patio on a nice summer day and crush one of these. Or, since it is only a 4.2 ABV maybe a couple of them. My hat is off to the brewers at Anderson Valley and I thank you for all of the work you put into every Gose you brew. If you like the Gose style and have not tried this brewery you really are missing out. Give these beers a shot and I think that you may just enjoy them.

3.18/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

This will be my entry for Watermelon Wednesday (Week 2). I also have a bomber bottle of it that I purchased in Malvern, but The CANQuest (tm) takes priority and my CAN came from The Friendly Greek, as do so many of my beers.

From the CAN: "Bahl Hornin' since 1987"; "Solar Powered Brewery".

I Crack!ed it open and despite a gentle Glug, I was still getting some haze showing up in the liquid in the glass. I then gave the glass a swirl to raise a finger of fizzy, foamy, off-white head with limited retention. Color was a slightly hazy Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 - 5). Nose had a funky, gueuze-like sour-tartness. It really smelled kind of off for a gose, since I think of them as more salty, although the style description mentions an addition of lactic acid. Mouthfeel was somewhat thin, not quite watery, but not much beyond it. The taste was a challenge for my hophead palate. It was initially salty and tart, but slowly, the watermelon flavor peeked through to offset the shock of the other flavors. The finish was quite dry. Refreshing might be a bit of a stretch for me, but quenching certainly sums it up! It was quenching like ginger ale is quenching. One was plenty & I really did not feel like following it up with anything else. Oh well. If I do a share with that bomber, I will revisit it here.

Today is another #WatermelonWednesday (W, 25 July 2018) & so I am finally opening the aforementioned bomber. I am SO glad that the bomber format is really gone by the wayside!

From the Bottle: "Born from our passion for experimentation, our Briney Melon Gose boasts a thirst-quenching tartness that is perfectly balanced by subtle watermelon flavors and aromas. Gentle additions of sea-salt create a refreshing harmony between the acidity and fruity sweetness leading to [a] clean, dry finish."

I Pop!ped the ancient "Solar Powered Brewery" cap & began an absolutely slow, gentle pour. I was amazed at the amount of carbonation that was immediately evident. It formed a brief two fingers of fizzy, foamy, bone-white head that quickly reduced to wisps. Color was Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity & loads of CO2 bubbles in evidence. Nose was super tart, very salty & easily recognizable as having watermelon involved. Mouthfeel was just barely medium, slightly past watery. I hope that none of us are drinking a Gose for its body. The taste was intensely TART, NOT sour! Tart is when your lips pucker & purse while sour catches you in the hinges of your jaw & makes your ears Pop! in response. The years had been incredibly kind to this beer, focusing the saltiness while allowing the watermelon flavor to become very assertive. Phew! The Watermelon Baby would definitely approve. Every sip had me puckering my lips in anticipation of the next sip. Between salt, watermelon & whatever brewing method that they employed, this ensured that I would NOT be playing the trumpet this afternoon! Finish was dry, tart & acidic enough that I had to take one of my GIRD pills. Phew. My numbers should be higher, but I do not like to change the original scores as a matter of history.

2.61/5  rDev -33.6%

Hazy, light gold color. Nearly no head. Settles to the finest of rim bubbles. No lace.

The smell is weak compared to the taste. I get cardboard and dry dirt. Interesting...

The start is pleasant with a subtle interchange of sour and sweet with an elevated level of carbonation. But the swallow is repulsive to me. It makes the beer barely drinkable. I would describe this as unsweetened raspberry juice, if I wanted to put a smiley face on this. Just not my thing.

4.24/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from can to tulip. Liquid is cloudy and pale straw in color, with tiny streams of bubbles making their way to the surface,low to moderate carbonation. A finger or cream colored foam dissolves to a sliver of a ring, no lacing. Sour funk and seawater are in the nose, with hints of melon rind. Taste is a sour kick to the tonsils with a sweet melon wave over the tongue. A salty finish rounds out the swallow, like the crystal salt from a Margarita glass. Dry, refreshing, and quite suitable for a hot afternoon.

3.83/5  rDev -2.5%

Walked into a local I hadn’t been to in a while and found they had some awesome Anderson Valley brews on their shelf, I guess that’s how it Gose these days [yeah I went there!] finding great brews is getting easier and easier. This one drew my eye straight away being a Gose with watermelon - I love watermelon, it’s probably my favourite fruit… yeah, let’s lock it in: Doc’s favourite fruit = watermelon! Such a clever mix too, salt and watermelon, it’s like a Greek feta and watermelon salad (one of my fortes). So this was an instabuy. Hopefully that melon comes through prominently, it won’t work for me if it’s too subtle.

Poured from a 355ml can into a Duvel tulip.

A: Hazed pale golden body with a bold white 1 centimetre cappuccino foam head that slowly withers down to a thin lace blanket. Looks good as far as Goses go… tongue twister there. 8/10.

S: Sea salt with an unidentified sourness… it’s somewhere neutral in the cherry/apple/melon spectrum. As with all the Anderson Valley beers there is an overtone of fresh clean mountain water… though that could be a subliminal picture planted in my mind by the bottle/can label (bear with dear horns drinking out of a mountain stream). 7/10.

T: BAM! This is easily the sourest Gose I’ve laid my tongue on. It hits right off with a sour melon note, follows through with sea salt, lemon and bitter melon finish. Really quite a tart beverage this one - up there with Lindemans Kriek Cuvée René (though not quite as sour). Too tart? For me a little, but you might have been raised sucking on sour watermelon Warheads - I was always the go-to for hot warheads. 8/10.

M: Mid to light bodied with a thin but dense carbonation… no complaints here. 7/10.

D: Well this is definitely the least Eno tasting Gose I’ve had yet. Favourite Gose so far? That honour still goes to Bacchus Peanut Brittle Gose… however this is a close second along with HopDog’s Gose & The Pussycats. Overall I did end up enjoying this Gose though. Hmmm, this gets real briney as it warms… makes me think of oysters with sea salt and lemon juice… huh, that’s a good suggestion for below. 8/10.

Food match: Oysters with sea salt and lemon juice… did you try it yeah? Told ya it was a good suggestion!

2.88/5  rDev -26.7%

Look - light golden almost an orange shade, very clear with minimal head.

Smell - Sour almost unpleasant to the nose asked the wifey what it smelled like, she said "dirty man"

Taste - Very tarty, ends with a noticeable fresh melon taste providing a nice after taste. Lingers in the mouth for quite a bit of time.

Feel - Very abrasive, stings the tongue.

Overall I didn't like it. Too sour for me but would be refreshing to have once or twice on a hot day. Definitely a unique beer worth trying just to get a taste.

3.52/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.81/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.83/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.06/5  rDev +3.3%

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.96/5  rDev +0.8%

4.18/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.66/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.44/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.12/5  rDev +4.8%

3.8/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

12oz can, sample from the brewery.

Great clarity, bubbly with a thin lacing. Tart nose with a faint melon aroma and some salt as well. Tart palate, some body, and a mild saltiness. Hint of melon rind and some sweetness within, a bit spicy in the semi-dry finish. Different but drinkable, glad I tried this brew.

3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

4.09/5  rDev +4.1%

4.07/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Gold in color with a light amount of minute sediment suspended within the body. There's a fingernail of dishwater white on top. The aroma really only brings sea salt. I'm tasting a healthy dose of sea salt with just a hint of sweet melon in the back of the palate. The mouth is moderately carbonated and a bit dense due to the heavy salting. There's a nice cooling sensation to the mouth due to the combination of the salt and the melon.

4.78/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great summer beer, not too tart but the melon balances the taste nicely. Very light drinking, would highly recommend if you are any kind of Gose fan

Briney Melon Gose from Anderson Valley Brewing Company