Summer Solstice | Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Anderson Valley Brewing Company
avbc.com

Style: Cream Ale

Availability: Summer

Our Summer Solstice Seasonal Ale is a slightly sweet, malty session beer with a creamy mouth feel and clean finish. With hints of caramel in the nose and a touch of spice, it’s become affectionately known as “cream soda for adults”. The unique flavors and superior drinkability make for the ultimate refreshment on a hot summer day.

Added by xlperro on 05-09-2005

Ratings: 1,565 |  Reviews: 491
3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

2.75/5  rDev -25.1%

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

3.83/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours a clear deep orange color with a white head that thins out but never totally disappears. There is a touch of fruit on the nose and a hint of vanilla. Nothing strong, but sets you up appropriately. Sips are certainly creamy, but the texture might get dull after one beer's worth. I like it - it's a stand out in the summer beer crowd - but at the same time it's not as refreshing as I like my summer beers to be. I still get at least one 6 pack a season, though.

3.88/5  rDev +5.7%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours clear orange with a creamy white head. Great retention, minimal lacing.

S: Lightly fruity on the nose with scents of pear and white grape juice. Undertones of warm vanilla. Touch of grassy hops and slightly floral. Caramel. Simple, but pleasing.

T: Hints of pear and grape juice open. Big taste of caramel chew candy takes over shortly after, with warming vanilla riding its coattails. Slight bread and toast. Grassy hops keep the sweetness in check just enough. Short finish of grassy hops with a touch of spice and some more vanilla.

M: Light in body. Full and very lush in the mouth. Moderate carbonation.

O: An interesting summer pint. It's rather simple, but that's appropriate for a warm weather quaff. Unique flavor profile at work here, but it all meshes well. I enjoyed it.

4.75/5  rDev +29.4%

2.5/5  rDev -31.9%

4.75/5  rDev +29.4%

3.6/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

2.93/5  rDev -20.2%

Poured July 13, 2012 from undated bottle.

Reviewing with New Glarus' Spotted Cow as my anchor for this style.

A: Pours a nice deep caramel/amber color with a little under a finger of head (aggressive pour). Short head retention, gone after a few minutes, but nice lacing. Darker than I expected for a summer seasonal.

S: Caramel/sugary sweetness with a little bit of grainy undertones. Follows the appearance pretty well.

T: Taste doesn't quite follow the nose for me. I get more grainy taste and less sweetness, although there certainly still is some sweetness underneath showing up in the form of cream soda and graham cracker near the finish. No hop and very little bitterness.

Taste is definitely to style, but with a little more complexity than I'm used to in a cream ale. Cream ale isn't necessarily a style of choice for me, but I'd heard such good things about this beer that I had to try it when I saw it at the store.

M: Nicely carbonated and medium bodied. A little thicker than I personally like in a summer beer, but seems to be to style. Goes down easy, but not something I'd want to have multiple of, which is something I look for personally in a summer beer.

O: I had pretty high expectations coming into this beer and overall I was disappointed. It's not a bad beer by any means, just not as good as I was expecting. I'd try it again, but there are a lot of beers out there I'd go for first before having one of these again.

Summer Solstice from Anderson Valley Brewing Company