Hop Ottin' IPA | Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Hop Ottin' IPAHop Ottin' IPA

Anderson Valley Brewing Company
avbc.com

Style: American IPA

Our Hop Ottin’ IPA is brewed and dry-hopped with copious amounts of Columbus and Cascade. This beer is a showcase of the bright citrusy aromas, bold grapefruit and pine-like flavors, and resiny bitterness that hop heads crave. With a brilliant, deep amber color and solid malt backbone, hints of citron, roses, and bergamot climax with a dry, herbal finish in this well-balanced interpretation of a West Coast IPA.

Added by stirgy on 04-23-2001

Reviews: 1,231 | Ratings: 3,142
3.38/5  rDev -15.3%

Appears amber gold in color.

Smells grassy, and citrusy.

It tastes nice there is a nice citrus flavor a bit of caramel malt. A floral flavor is also there.

The carbonation is moderate high

Drinkability is pretty good I could drink a few.

Overall a stereotypical version of a good IPA. It tastes very good better than most. But at the same time it does not seem original.

3.38/5  rDev -15.3%

Unremarkable landmark review, 100th American IPA review. Beer is copper and clear with a thin white head and a lot of lacing. Head breaks, low carbonation.

Pine hops and lots of malt.

Beer is medium bodied and really malty at the start. Gives way to some mild hop character. This is on the best of IPA list and I can personally list about 70 IPAs I'd rather have than this one. What a mediocre crappy beer. 7%!?!?!?!? Serioiusly? Wow, pretty drinkable for that.

3.38/5  rDev -15.3%

Bottle. Pours a clear deep orange with a thick off-white head. Aroma largely of caramel malt with some light citrusy hops. Flavor is malt-forward with definite harshness and astringency. Pretty bland overall...I'm not sure what people see in this (and I'm a hop lover!)

3.38/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- burnt amber coloring, slightly cloudy with thin lacy head.

S- floral nose with hints of honey

T- very bitter bite that lingers. mildly grapefruitish in regards to bitterness (not citrus flavor). I felt like the hoppy bitterness overpowered everything else. Taste seemed to improve as it warmed up.

M- crisp, sharp almost puckering

D- I think this beer may be a true representative of the IPA style, however I felt like the hoppiness was a little too strong. I will say it did seem to improve as it warmed up and I hope to review this one again some day and see if my opinion changes.

3.37/5  rDev -15.5%

On tap, served in a pint glass:

Pours a deep, copper color with amber tints. Nice, 2 finger foam head that dissipates to leave a nice lace on the glass.

The best aspect of the beer was how great it smelled. Extremely floral, a great pine smell, and lots of citrus, with a malty backbone. I even held it up to my nose for a while to savor the smell a bunch.

This seems like a pretty average IPA taste-wise, with extra bitterness up front and not much on the backend. The flavor was not very complex--just hoppy bitterness with a weaker pine finish. There wasn't much else to the flavor structure, and although I enjoy my IPAs, I enjoy a bit more complexity and a more bitter/clean aftertaste.

This beer was not carbonated enough and felt like water. Very light-bodied, if you are into that.

I could go for another, but with all the other IPAs around, I'd probably grab one of those beforehand.

3.37/5  rDev -15.5%

Pours a clear wood stain brown in color. A few streams of bubbles rushing to the top. Thick white spongey head resting on top that left behind layered lace all around the edges of the glass. Nose is full of wet hops but is dulled by a watery mellowness.

Flavor is not quite a typical CA IPA because the flavor seems to be lacking the malt backbone I associate with this style from that region. Hops outwiegh the mats quite a bit with the balance towards the bitters. Medium to full mouthfeel with a dry finish. Some tannins as well. Would pick this up again but would not be my first choice.

3.36/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice dark amber colored body with a finger and a half of off white head that leaves some lacing around the glass.

Malty nose with some floral/perfumy hops.

Slightly creamy mouthfeel, medium bodied. Taste is not what i expect. Malt dominates this brew. Some piney floral flavors of hops up front, but sweet caramel/molasses tastes seem more powerful to me. Decent beer, but nothing mind-blowing.

Fairly drinkable, nothing offensive about the flavor to hurt it here.

3.36/5  rDev -15.8%

12 oz. bottle poured into my Short's Impeial Pint Glass.

A: Pours a dark amber with one finger of cream colored head that leaves very nice sticky lace.

A: I notice the bready, biscuity malts the most. This is a very malty IPA. Although I was expecting a much more pronounced hop profile, the grassy hops do show up.

T: Again, not what I was expecting. Much maltier, this almost has a feel of an American Ale not an IPA. Bread, caramel, and some light citrus come through.

M: Medium body, caramel and malts give it a sticky mouthfeel. Good levels of carbonation give it a sting on the back end.

D and overall impression: Low ABV and decent mouthfeel make this an easy one to drink. But if I am reviewing to style (which I am) I don't think this measures up. As an IPA, this is just slightly above average. Good not great. But if I'm in the mood for an IPA, I'll be choosing something else. Skal.

3.36/5  rDev -15.8%

22oz bottle $5. I had this once years ago but could not remember it so I bought this bomber. Nice dark orange color with a decent head. It smelled slightly like grapefruit but really not much and I was not impressed. The flavor was very bitter and had some citrus qualities but they just weren't pronounced enough. Overall this was not bad but when I want a West Coast IPA I will get some Pliny or Racer 5 or Sculpin if I'm lucky.

look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a semi-clear copper color. There's about two fingers worth of off-white colored head, though the texture is a bit rougher than I prefer. The retention is solid enough, though, and good amounts of lacing are left behind.

S: The hops here are mostly piny, with some lemony hints and no tropical fruits (or any other citrusy notes) anywhere. Meanwhile, its malt backbone is loaded with toffee and nuttiness. I kind of wish this was less malty and more fruity, but that's only personal preference.

T: There's a slight opening of nutty sweetness - then boom, the hops hit. Sadly, there isn't much hop flavor, rather it relies on grassy bitterness as a ballast toward the building caramel sweetness. There's something past the swallow suggesting leather, and after half the bottle, becomes too malty for me. But it's still pretty good at the end of the day.

M: Carbonation pokes through the body quite strongly, and helps to dry out the finish some. It's also quite crisp and relatively light (if somewhat sweet on the linger), so this one is pretty drinkable.

O: This kind of IPA - sweetish, bitter from the hops, no citrus - isn't my style, but this *is* well made considering that. I have trouble finding this one fresh, and it's a bit pricier than the standard IPA 6-packs; as a result, this one isn't on my 'must buy immediately' list.

3.35/5  rDev -16%

Poured into a big tall glass, cuz that's how I roll when I shop at the grocery store. Appearance was a medium amber color. Poured a finger and a half of head. Very piney nose. A bit spicy. Mouthfeel was a decent creamy carbonation. Very piney, hoppy, quite bitter. Went well with the Red Baron I had. I told you, grocery store.

3.35/5  rDev -16%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Consumed on March 14th, 2013 in a 12 oz. Samuel Adams "perfect" beer glass. Served at 50 degrees F.

Beer pours a clear, brilliant yellow. Plenty of head on this one: three fingers of meringue-like, nearly-pillowy yellowish foam. It eventually settles down into a super-sheeting layer of foam.

Aromas are present but not especially amazing: orange peel, some dank, musty almost-funk, traces of pine.

Flavor is a touch skunky off the bat. Some biscuity malt but mainly aspirin-like bitterness. A touch of bitter orange peel as well. Not really all that well-put-together.

Mouthfeel is prickly and dry while at the same time managing a creaminess. Neat trick.

Overall, this one works well enough, I suppose, but it's far from one of my favorite IPAs.

3.35/5  rDev -16%

Appearance: Poured a rusty copper, which had an orange tint to it. Two fingers of billowy head developed and dissipated to leave a spotted lacing and ring around the outside.

Smell: Warning -- hops ahead. Grapefruit and orange citrus dominates, but there is a light and sweet caramel malt presence. A little bit of pine makes itself known, too.

Taste: Hoppy. Oh, yeah. The citrus from the smell comes through immediately, and is followed by the strong hop bitterness. It evens nicely after a couple sips and the hops are not so intense, allowing a citrus and caramel malts to come through.

Drinkability: Yeah, it's not my thing. It's too hoppy, but that doesn't mean someone else wouldn't like it.

3.35/5  rDev -16%

So I'm seriously considering to note drink IPA's anymore. They are all tasting the same, and that's a problem.

Appearance: Pours a nice orange amber with about a 1/2 finger white head. It settles quickly, but stays around the edge of the beer.

Smell: There's a light malt character on the smell, but the hops were overpowering. Floral smells and grapefruit dominate, with a hint of oranges taking up the rear. Overall the smell isn't too powerful. I would appreciate more presence.

Taste: Again the grapefruit come into play, as do the floral hops. What brings this beer above average is that their is a distinct flavor of rosemary that becomes present with a sweet malt flavor. It's interesting, but only a small piece of the puzzle.

Mouthfeel: Like an other IPA there is a bitterness that compliments the thin consistency. However, the consistency is a little thicker than a standard IPA. This however, isn't a major bonus considering it lacks the malt backbone to substantiate it.l

Drinkability: It drinks like any IPA, which is why I wouldn't have another unless it was the only craft brew available.

3.35/5  rDev -16%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Egg shell white head, about 2.5 fingers worth. Laces the glass very well. Brilliant orange color, with little carbonation streaming off the bottom.

S: grapefruit aromas jump out of the glass. Little bit of toffee notes as well.

T: Toasty/piney flavors, with some citrus. Not nearly as much grapefruit as the aromas would have led me to believe. Nutty flavors.

M: Lingering flavors, the pines hang around. Plenty of bitterness, a little thin mouth feel, with not much carbonation.

O: Its bitter, and fairly sexy looking beer, but the flavors don’t deliver what the aromas promise. A little disappointing from a brewery that I generally love.

Wish the can had a date, and I'll visit this again in the bottle.

3.35/5  rDev -16%

Poured into a tulip from a bottle left a one finger head with pretty good retention and some lacing. Pretty dark, burnt orange/brown.

Smells fairly citrusy, toasty malts. Doesn't really hit you in the face; could be a little more aromatic. However, it still is pleasantly grassy and hop-forward.

Good clean and refreshing pale maltiness and hop bitterness is nice. There is mineral quality that hangs around for a second on the palate, sort of a coppery quality. Finishes with a mouth-coating bitterness.

Mouthfeel is a little thin, much more like a pale ale.

I think if someone had told me this was a Pale Ale I would have enjoyed it more, for some reason. The hops are nice but they aren't particularly bold. Still, Hop Ottin is very clean and very refreshing.

3.35/5  rDev -16%

Standard amber color, except especially darker than other California IPAs. It contains a good amount of lacing, not to mention a nice little ring that maintains itself at the top no matter how much it warms up. No excessive carbonation to be seen, but still a decent looking IPA.

Loads of hops are present in the aroma, although it's far more honey-tinged than fruity, to my surprise. There's an overlapping yeasty smell in the glass, perhaps aided by the extra maltiness. Other than huge honey bits, there's a smell of rye, lightly smoked bread, orange peel, and flowery herbs.

The hops indeed attack a lot more on the first sip, but the honey and yeasty taste is quite prevailing – perhaps a little too much. Alcohol is highly present here, although perhaps a little too much so. This has a larger malty backbone than expected, but does overall produce a thick, heartening drinking experience. There's substantial carbonation, but definitely not too much. I do prefer this when it is colder, however. The floral notes are more present and the alcohol is less astringent tasting. When it warms up a lot, it almost seems like an unbalanced, highly alcoholic pale ale rather than a proper IPA.

A decent IPA that is not really up to the standards that I usually enjoy Anderson Valley Brewing Co. to be. Their oatmeal stout is definitely a masterpiece, and their amber ale trails really well, but this is a little too in between a pale ale and IPA to be satisfying overall. I still think it's a good beer, but I definitely could have done without the extra alcohol dosage – and definitely could have done with more hops!

3.35/5  rDev -16%

12 oz bottle purchased for me by a friend of mine at Jungle Jim's in Cincinnati, OH. Review transposed from notes when I had it at my friend's house.

A: Copper color with a frothy white finger thick head with good retention and lacing.

S: Sweet malty aroma with piney hop notes. Good but nothing special in the aroma.

T: Well balanced taste profile. Only issue is a bit of a metallic after taste. Hopefully I will be able to try this again at some point to see if this might have been a bad bottle.

M: Medium body. Smooth and creamy with good carbonation.

D: Pretty drinkable due to balance, but once again losing out here due to the after taste.

3.34/5  rDev -16.3%

Initial pour formed a nice head of small to medium, bubbles in a white head that slowly but surely decreased in size. It has a nice amber brown colored body with some yeast floating in it. Its aroma was just tolerable and smelled a bit off. Its taste was initially not to my liking with a taste of clove and bitterness and with a aftertaste that I did not prefer. All in all not a brew I would recommend.

3.34/5  rDev -16.3%

Appearance: amber (almost exactly like a Bass). Surprisingly creamy head.
Aroma: Fairly subtle hop aroma (citrusy). Bit of pale malt.
Taste: Somewhat bitter, mostly citrus flavor (cascade and centennial?). Somewhat stale taste
at the end.
Mouthfeel: Perfect carbonation and resin from hops.
Overall: Middle of the road IPA.

3.33/5  rDev -16.5%

Pours a slightly hazy, dusky orange color with a nice, fat off-white head that displays very nice retention and clingy lacing. Great looking IPA.

Nose is of citrus and tropical hops with biscuity sweet malts. Some fruitiness is evident in the form of red grapes, green apples and pears. It is a pleasant smelling brew.

Has an earthy and malty feel to it for an IPA. The bitterness is there, but seems to lack a bit in the way of hop flavor and body. I have really enjoyed the three other AV beers I have had before this one, but Hop Ottin' does not really do it for me.

3.33/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Deep caramel color with amber accents. Head is popcorn colored and 4 fingers tall. A bit darker than I'd like for an IPA (I'm a fan of the lighter shades)

And as I expected with the darker shade comes strong caramel malts and butterscotch. Beneath the butterscotch sweetness is some vanilla, orange, and grapefruit pith. It's a supremely sweet and nice aroma, but I don't trust it!

Citrus forward, with toffee malts, caramel, which only gets louder as it warms. Hops and pine come in strong behind the former. There's nothing infectious with the flavor, it's just overall disgusting - wrought with caramel notes.

Feel is medium bodied, creamy, and a sticky, dry, tongue scrubbing feel towards the finish.

Overall, eh, not really fresh tasting. I can see how hopheads and especially fans of West Coast IPA's would enjoy this, but it's not for me.

3.33/5  rDev -16.5%

Poured from a 22-oz. bomber into a pint glass. Color was caramel orangeish, almost like apple juice. About 1 ¼ inches of head. Frothy white lacing on the top. Good bubbly film on the sides throughout the pour.

Smelled of citrus hops, mainly lemon zest. Some pine in there, too. Grapefruit notes were also hanging around.

Initial taste was bitterness. Also got metallic notes and a little bit of Fruit Loops. Citrus hops (lemon) come through as well, but there is a taste in there that doesn’t sit too well with me. Grains, grass? I don’t know.

Medium body. Oily texture. Average carbonation. Bitter astringent finish.

A decent beer, but nothing too spectacular.

3.32/5  rDev -16.8%

Purchased as a single from Trader Joe's and poured into a pint glass.

Pours an amber hue with moderate hops on the nose. Tastes like the amber that I expected from their Boont Amber. Not a lot of distinguishing characteristics going on. Not as sweet as an amber might be yet not as complex as I would expect from an IPA.

Pretty lame..

3.32/5  rDev -16.8%

Pours a light amber color with thin head that disapates quickly. There is a huge amount of lace all around the glass

Scent is great, it is sweet, fruity, malty, and nice citrus hops.

Taste, aaaa, well, not what I expected. Very sweet up front, kind of watery with an almost chemical taste. It does finish with hops and again che-m-i-cal (oooo, I hate to say that, but that is what I taste).

Mouthfeel is light bodied and crisp.

Drinkability is ok, but the taste is just not what I expected from an IPA. I won't buy this one again.

This beer will fool you with the lable and the scent but it is not what a good IPA is all about.

Hop Ottin' IPA from Anderson Valley Brewing Company