Hop Ottin' IPA | Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Hop Ottin' IPAHop Ottin' IPA

Anderson Valley Brewing Company
avbc.com

Style: American IPA

Our Hop Ottin’ IPA is brewed and dry-hopped with copious amounts of Columbus and Cascade. This beer is a showcase of the bright citrusy aromas, bold grapefruit and pine-like flavors, and resiny bitterness that hop heads crave. With a brilliant, deep amber color and solid malt backbone, hints of citron, roses, and bergamot climax with a dry, herbal finish in this well-balanced interpretation of a West Coast IPA.

Added by stirgy on 04-23-2001

Ratings: 3,163 |  Reviews: 1,233

Sorry. I had this beer out of a can it sucked. I am really not sure they know wtf an ipa is. Hopefully whole foods will give me my money back.

1.24/5  rDev -68.9%

1.49/5  rDev -62.7%

Can't understand all the great reviews. Bought this at the store based on the BA score that they had put up of A or A- since I had not heard of the beer before(got it out of state). Maybe just a bad batch but not sure that I even want to try the 5 cans I have left.

Pours a clear amber with clear, ringing orange highlights. There is only a low, foamy head. Decent lacing follows down the side of the glass. Not bad, but could be much better.

Smell is of mango, booze, tangerine. Not as pungent as I'd like.

Taste is over the top of booze. Harsh hops kick in immediately with a harsh, metallic bite. There's only bitterness here, no hop flavor -- and this from a fan of other hoppy beers. It's just a punch in the face. . Too much booze, sloppily organized hops. Proof that great beer needs organization -- and it's sadly lacking here.

Mouthfeel is blah.

Overall, this is a pretty underwhelming beer. . Hops, booze, and skunk.

Gross. Drain pour.

1.75/5  rDev -56.1%

1.87/5  rDev -53.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

This was fresh and appalling. Overly malty and disgusting. Ipa? Really? Plays like a brown but tastes worse. The smell is also equally as disturbing and not a fan of this filth I was given

I got this in cans. It may be bad - it's flat possibly. Tastes more like fruit juice than an IPA.

2.03/5  rDev -49.1%

Was excited as a usual microbrewless liquor store in my area has improved selection. This was one I have heard about so decided to try.

Do not waste your money. I had 2 cans over 2 separate nights and drained the others in my sink.

Cloudy orange color.
Smelled of some hops but tasted syrupy.

Maybe these were old cans as there was no "Best by Date" on them but I will not be going back for another $10+ waste!

Leave Ottin in the can!

2.1/5  rDev -47.4%

This beer had a white head with small-medium sized bubbles that quickly diminished. The hue of this beer was amber and there was some yeast observed. The nose of this beer was fruity. I found this beer to be very bitter tasting which is not to my liking and it is not a beer high on my list that's for sure.

2.14/5  rDev -46.4%

Poured from 22oz bottle.

A- Pours a amberish brown color. One and a half finger white head shows great retention. Thick clumpy lacing on the sides of the glass as I drink this one down.

S- Interesting. Caramel bready malts with a little bit of toffee to it. Some light piney bitter hops in the background. Malt driven and I'm curious if this is a old bottle...

T- Light citrus hops in the front of this beer almost get crushed by a sea of caramel malts. Some light bready toffee flavors in the middle give way to a caramel filled hop bitterness in the back. Something is wrong with this picture I think. I am starting to think this is a old beer. Light metallic off flavors as well.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is a little light for the style I think. Flavors are mostly one sided with caramel malts being left on both my palate and long into the aftertaste. Alcohol very drying on the palate.

D- This was a half drank beer which turned into a drain pour. I was not impressed at all with this beer and to be honest either got a bad bottle or else this one was long past its prime. Will review again once I can get another bottle.

2.21/5  rDev -44.6%

Got this at De Bierkoning in Amsterdam.

From a bottle into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: Pours a two finger, off-white, medium looking, noisy head with good retention. Safety orange in color, perfectly clear with zero carbonation. Head slowly fades to a good foam cap. A slight wisp remains until the end and leaves touches of lacing down the glass.

SMELL: Pales malts, bready malts, and some spicy, yeasty qualities. Fainter floral hops and some grainy notes. More of a Belgian pale nose actually; not as hoppy as expected for the style.

TASTE: Pale malts, bready with some earthy spices from the yeast. Some floral notes through the middle, but finishes quite bready and grainy with lots of pine and hop bitterness. Bold piney and bitter aftertaste lingers and lingers. Grainy and bitter, without much real flavor. There are definitely better in the style.

PALATE: This is the best part of the beer. Medium-full body with medium carbonation. Very creamy smooth on the palate, goes down smooth and finishes quite dry on the palate, but not quite astringent. Could be a little oilier, but a decent feel.

OVERALL: A disappointing effort really. Bitter for the sake of being bitter, and not much in terms of flavor. The nose was off for the style as well, reminding me more of a Belgian strong pale ale than an IPA. Needs to be re-worked, or perhaps even scratched in favor of a different hop profile. Not something I'd recommend.

2.24/5  rDev -43.9%

I don't understand the glowing praise this beer gets here. I had this on draft and it was a total malt bomb with some hints of pine but mostly just bitter hops over bready malts. Maybe this keg got left out in the sun for a week?

2.24/5  rDev -43.9%

Clear darker amber in color. Decent head, fades quickly with good lacing.

Smells of malts more than hops. A little sweet smelling. Not much there really.

I don't taste the hoppiness that the labeling implies.

Sour tasting, slightly metallic. No hop flavor, not bitter. Not very good, imo.

Maybe an older batch, or not stored properly. May have to give it a second chance.

Hop Ottin' IPA from Anderson Valley Brewing Company