Hop Ottin' IPA | Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Hop Ottin' IPAHop Ottin' IPA

Anderson Valley Brewing Company
avbc.com

Style: American IPA

Our Hop Ottin’ IPA is brewed and dry-hopped with copious amounts of Columbus and Cascade. This beer is a showcase of the bright citrusy aromas, bold grapefruit and pine-like flavors, and resiny bitterness that hop heads crave. With a brilliant, deep amber color and solid malt backbone, hints of citron, roses, and bergamot climax with a dry, herbal finish in this well-balanced interpretation of a West Coast IPA.

Added by pezoids on 04-23-2001

Reviews: 1,229 | Ratings: 3,123

A - Strong head and amber color

S - For an IPA, it really didn't jump out at me. Nice sweet malted barley smell with a slight balance of grapefruit hops.

T - Taste was underwhelming. A litte to bitter and a little sweet.

M - Good amount of carbonation

D - Little too bitter, can't drink too much of these.

Would I drink it again? No
Would I recommend it? No
Would I drink it at a party? No
Did my wife like it? "Tastes like a cigar. No and no."

Overall: For a IPA, the best part is the smell and the smell wasn't great. Also, the taste was too bitter to be enjoyed. Eh.

Poured from a bottle into an Iron City 12oz glass.

A. Nice orangish amber in appearance with a nice foammy head, little to no lacing as I drink.

S. heavy bread smell to it, quite nice. I pick up very little hop flower smell. After my forth smell I still smell fresh dough.

T. Quite disappointed hear. I was hoping for more. Nice taste as you swallow but the after taste is like having a big bite of pineneedles. Not my favorite IPA. By far not the worst.

D. For me one is enough. But I do see where others would like this beer better than myself.

4.17/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle into a tulip glass.

A - a nice coppery color. Lacing was light, white, a a touch foamy.

S - classic ipa. Citruis, grapefruit, little grass in there.

T - really nice hop/malt balance. The sweetness is there but kept at bay, and you get tht nice bite from the hops but its not unpleasantly piney like a new Sierra Nevada Pale is

M - best part of this beer. Substantial without getting heavy, piney, or syrupy. Finishes amazingly clean. Definitely easy to session this beer.

O - a great example of an American IPA. I got this as a single in a craft beer six pack mix and plan on looking for more of it.

3.45/5  rDev -13.5%

amber with a small off whit e head that dissipates quickly

smell is all pine and resin - deep and almost earthy - citrus layered in with the pine as well - aroma doesn't really jump out at me, but smells potent like an IPA should

very bitter, but definitely has some sweetness to back it up - the resin continues on the tongue much more than any citrus - the bitterness almost sticks in your mouth

mouthfeel is medium bodied with fairly light carbonation so it kind of sits in the mouth - a slightly syrupy sweet finish that i don't like very much - it almost coats your mouth at the end so that i imagine if i drink anything after it will taste like this

would i want to have three or four of these? no
do i want to finish this one? definitely

3.82/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured into a pint glass with a small off white head. Nice floral and citus smell. The taste was good but not as nice as the smell. Seemed a little flat. Maybe purchasing single bottles is not the best idea without seeing a date code. My guess is that the beer was past its' prime although the carbonation was good. Overall a nice IPA, but I was glad to have a Sweetwater IPA to follow to get the nice grapefruit hoppy flavor.

4.47/5  rDev +12%

All right I just watched the Celtics play Philly in game 3 while having my home made pickled carrots and cauliflower and home made salsa with the Anderson IPA first try.
It deffinetly compairs to Goose Island, in fact I feel its better.

A. a light orange/amber carmel color I would say and a 1 to 2 finger head.

S. the smell is very very mild for a IPA.

T. the taste is hoppy and carmel mild but very very good and the after taste has the IPA taste we all love.

M. The carbonation is just right and the mouthful taste is perfect for a IPA.

O. overall I would definetly recomend this for a IPA, will I be buy this again,YES.
In fact my guys at work will get to try it on there friday after work, it's that good.

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

The pour gave a shallow white head of small bubbles that dissipated into a sparse layer. Color is clear dark straw. The smell is sweet honey with floral background.

The feel is a little syrupy with a good amount of carbonation. The flavor starts out with a sweetness which evolves into a strong hoppy finish. The aftertaste is very strong and long-lasting (as the beer's name implies).

Overall, a good drink with a very strong flavor and aftertaste that reduces the drinkability somewhat.

4.26/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On draft in pint glass, pours a deep tawny amber, very clear with a decent bit of lacing and a thin sudsy foam on top. Not a strong aroma, unlike so many IPAS. This turns out to be the strong part of the beer. The malt is slightly sweet but firm, creating a smooth mouthfeel and swallow. The hops wrap around the malt, enhancing it but not overpowering. Tastes great and finishes extremely smooth, a great balanced IPAED, especially in these days as overhopped and overhyped IPAS seem to be the norm. A smooth, well balanced, and tasty IPA, great even if you're not in a hop mood(I wasn't). This is what IPAs should be, prominent flavor profiles that are still easily quafable.

4.2/5  rDev +5.3%

one of the smoothess ipas i've tasted very good the appearance is great with golden orangue hue

smell is great

taste is smooth the malts and hop bitterness is well delivered

mouthfeel is great

i can drink about 3 of them in a night, i recommend this ipa for all to enjoy, at seven percent you can taste the alcohol, but the taste is great.

4.18/5  rDev +4.8%

Appearance: A nice, thick head comes out of the initial pour, over an inch. It subsides to form a 1/4" thick layer of creamy foam. Exactly what I want when I pour my beer. The color is a dark amber with slight red hues.

Scent: I get a bunch of different hop characteristics up front. Can't quite pin point it all but the one that stands out is tropical fruit. I get a little bit of citrus and spice as well, but mostly it's tropical. It also reminds me a bit of the fresh, green hop pellets I use on brew day. The malt is a bit more subtle with a hint of caramel, but nothing too strong.

Taste: The hops don't come on too strong. You get a bit of malt and a bit of hops, but nothing that will slap you in the face and ruin your palate. Very well balanced. There is a bit of bitterness that starts to creep up as soon as you take a sip and it only grows as you swallow it.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. The carbonation is well balanced. Perfect for an IPA.

Overall: I'll be honest I was very surprised when drinking this. I was expecting over the top hop use with in your face flavors. Maybe I'm stereotyping West Coast IPAs, but this isn't that at all. Sure there is plenty of bitterness, but it's an IPA. The flavors are subtle and balanced, but it's really that bitterness that makes itself known as an IPA. I was expecting a bit more from the flavors. Although I think the malt and hops were balanced, I think they were both lacking a little bit and find myself wishing there was a bit more.

4.68/5  rDev +17.3%

Bottle pour into large, chilled mug.

A...pours a pretty clear

orange with a perfect, pillowy, off white, 2 finger head.

S...Pleasant aroma, not quite as strong a smell as I would expect. A bit more earthy or even mossy than the citrus or fruit I would expect.

T...Fantastic. from the first sip it is just right. A malty sweetness right up front. I'm getting some fruit elements, apricot and some background citrus. Then the hops kick in with a smack in the face bitterness that cuts everything else off. Clean finish.

M...Again, just right. The carbonation is just right when you can't explain it. Its not high carbonation or flat. Not sticky but just thick enough. Heavy but not too much.

O... This is a winner. Full bodied, packed with complex flavors. I am a huge IPA fan and this would be in my top 5. If you like IPA you could not be disappointed with this brew.

3.84/5  rDev -3.8%

Golden amber color with an ever so slight haze. Initial head subsides fairly quickly, but a thin foam layer persists for the duration of the glass. Leaves a little lacing around the glass. Aroma is a hop bouquet. Taste is dry and bitter with a crisp floral finish. Lives up to the expection of being a hophead beer. Mouthfeel is soft and agreeably so, as tangy co2 bubbles would interfere with the hop appreciation. Very drinkable beer.

4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

12oz. bottle

Hopheads this one might be a daily drinker for you. This warm amber w/ a red hugh beer has a large laceing head to it. The smell of this beer isnt to strong though you can almost taste the fruity hops. The taste isnt overly powering of hops, but starts and it dosnt release that pine till the end. It is there and strong, and it lasts. Orange is present in the middle and finishes with some malt and pine. Be body is thin though full. Thin texture but a full flavor. This is a great every day drinker for hopheads. Wish i could get case loads of this just to have around. Thanks Anderson Valley for leaving me with a great first impression.

4.38/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz can (gasp) into a tulip.

A - Deep amber with about a finger of creamy light tan head. Sporadic lacing down the glass.

S - Floral and citrusy hops. I thought it would be a little more in your face (or nose), though.

T - Bitter earthy hops, but well balanced and a bright finish.

M - Full bodied up front but finishes clean and dry like an IPA should.

O - Whereas some west coast IPAs go for nothing but hop flavor and aroma, this is really well balanced while still maintaining the signature floral hop notes.

4.2/5  rDev +5.3%

Anderson Valley's Hop 'Ottin has been a favorite of mine for a long time. This IPA is great in every way. It pours a golden yellowish-orange and is quite creamy for a beer of this style. A thick off-white head foams up quickly and the nose is a potpourri of hops and citrus. The hop leaf bites the tongue as you take the first sip. It's followed by a pine and orange-like surge that flows smoothly out of the glass. As this beer warms the citrus characteristics become a little more pronouced. I have to reiterate the fact that this beer is very hoppy and will please hop heads alike.

The King recommends drinking this beer with a bag of Snyders Jalapeno Pretzel bites.

3.45/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This one pours with almost no head and has a color of weak tea. The aroma is soft, nothing overpowering or taking command. Sublte brtish style hop profile.

Same for the taste; british hops and some flowery esters. There is a sweetness to this one but not a malty sweetness.

Mouhfeel is thin but not watery.

Overall this beer is subtle (maybe I have grown acustomed to hop bombs, so my palate could be looking for something that should not be there) and thus just not memorable. No complaints.

3.58/5  rDev -10.3%

a - light reddish amber; two full fingers of foamy, light orange head that falls to a thin cover quickly but leaves some a good amount of lacing down the glass

s - at first an almost skunky odor, which fades quickly and is replaced by lots of grapefruit and orange, some herbs, not a ton else (but hey, I've got allergies so, you know)

t - lots of everything. kind of like a slightly lesser version of Southern Tier Hoppe with a bunch of fruity citrus flavors, a huge dose of malty sweetness, and a lot of bitterness that's maybe a little more herbal and a little less piney than I usually drink. there's also some kind of weird malt flavor accompanying it that I guess I'd call bready.

m - carbonation isn't too heavy, and makes for a satisfying mouthful

d - I've had other IPAs and DIPAs with this kind of flavor, and there's something that doesn't quite work for me. Part of it's the more herbal hop character, part of it's the higher sugar content interacting with the herb flavors, and part of it's that weird malt flavor I described. Worth trying, but I won't buy another bottle.

4.36/5  rDev +9.3%

A: Poured this beer from a bottle that has been sitting in the basement for a while. Possibly because of this, the head retention is poor. None the less the glass is laced nicely.

S: Hoppy, piney smell. Very good.

T: Very dry, flavorful ipa. I taste more of a piney flavor and less of a fruity flavor.

M: Very dry, medium carbonation.

O: Very good beer. Solid IPA that is worth having. I live on the east coast but hope to try this on tap when I get the chance.

4.4/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: Clear medium amber w/ a frothy head that forms great lacing. Steady stream of small bubbles keeps the head pretty thick throughout.

S: Floral hops and a berry-like sweetness. Very nice balance.

T: Rounded fruit and toast malt sweetness up front with some hints of honey and strawberry. Finishes with a nice, spicy hop kick that sticks around for a while with a mild bitterness. Flavors are very balanced. Feel is between medium and full-bodied, with a slight oily slickness on the tongue. The alcohol is hidden very well.

D: In spite of its above average hoppiness, it's not too bitter or drying in the finish and I could probably have a couple in one sitting. It does have a strong enough flavor to allow you to sip on it for a while, though.

This is standby IPA that I often have in my fridge, as it relatively cheap and fresh here in L.A. A great beer from a great brewery.

3.53/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer is pretty good, fair representation of its style. It smells better than it taste. Nicely carbonated. The taste is confusing. Starts with a nice grapefruit and pine note, but comes with way to much yeasty bread finish. I like my ipa crisp and clean from start to finish. Not crazy about this. Reminds me of good people's snake handler.

4.12/5  rDev +3.3%

Pouring this beer revealed a beautiful amber and exceptionally clear beer. The aroma immediately assaulted my sinuses, and I breathed in a heady PNW hop bouquet. The pour left a quarter-inch, tight, white head.

Upon tasting, I notice a strong spicy/citrusy character from the hops firmly backed with a sweet malt profile. The mouthfeel is heavier than expected in an IPA, almost leaving a "coated" feeling on the tongue. The after-taste is predictably bitter and surprising in its lack of harshness. The head dissapated rather quickly, leaving only a tracing of lace on the glass, but the beautiful amber color kept up appearances.

Over all, I would say that this is only a session beer for hop heads, but that any serious beer drinker should give this beer a try, as it is an excellent example of the style.

4.72/5  rDev +18.3%

Unbelievable! If you like hoppy beers, you have to try this.

Appearance: Nice. Quite attractive and sticks to the mug. Consistent almost amber hue.

Smell: Hmmm... can I drink it now. Sweet, hoppy aroma.

Taste: As the name implies, this is all hops. Yet it is not so overwhelming that it affects the complexity. Malt flavor is still distinguishable and pleasing.

Mouthfeel: Good body, good carbonation, good everything.

Drinkability: Addictive. Better with each drink.

Personally I prefer this over Stone, but this one and Stone are top two IPA's in my book. A must try.

4.22/5  rDev +5.8%

A. Pours clear with an apricot brownish color looks like honey with loads
of carbonation bubbles shooting to the top even well after I poured. Had
small head after poor but quickly dissipates. I could smell the hops
right after I uncapped the bottle “this one is going to be good"

S. Floral and fruity, all I smell is hops, smells heavily dry hopped
with lingering sweetness after you get through the hops.

T. Freaking hops all up in this mofo. Followed by a slight honey after
tasted and some toasted flavors

M. Medium in body, this beer has the mouth feel that there are hop
pellets crushed in it mixed in with the beer , slight dry aftertaste.

This is a great beer it is hopped to high hell, after one however you may
want to move onto something a little lighter.

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%

Appearance: Pours a deep amber, with a thick head that sustains throughout the quaff. Heavy lacing. A beautiful beer.

Smell: Piney hops and citrus, followed by a strong floral bouquet.

Taste: Similar to its smell, the heavy hops and citrus show up first and are gradually backed and finished by the floral flavor. Very complex for an IPA, I thought, and quite enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: A little heavy and syrupy.

Drinkability: This is a tasty, highly involving IPA, and for that reason I can't see having more than two in a sitting.

3.21/5  rDev -19.5%

Nice amber color with attractive dense foamy head. Smells sweet and malty. Flavor is filled with hops with berry esters. Seafood. Well carbonated leads to a medium-light mouthfeel. Slightly boozy with medium bitterness on the middle of the tongue.

Overall: I was nervous upon the smell of this IPA that it would be syrupy and sweet, my least favorite characteristics of an IPA. It was indeed sweeter than I like, but the lightness of it made it more tolerable. I appreciate the strength of the hops in this one, but the overwhelming sweetness of the malts make it one I will not be picking up again.

Hop Ottin' IPA from Anderson Valley Brewing Company