Hop Ottin' IPA | Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Hop Ottin' IPAHop Ottin' IPA

Anderson Valley Brewing Company
avbc.com

Style: American IPA

Our Hop Ottin’ IPA is brewed and dry-hopped with copious amounts of Columbus and Cascade. This beer is a showcase of the bright citrusy aromas, bold grapefruit and pine-like flavors, and resiny bitterness that hop heads crave. With a brilliant, deep amber color and solid malt backbone, hints of citron, roses, and bergamot climax with a dry, herbal finish in this well-balanced interpretation of a West Coast IPA.

Added by stirgy on 04-23-2001

Reviews: 1,232 | Ratings: 3,147
4.3/5  rDev +7.8%

01/10/05- Purchased at Jackson's Wine and Spirit's in Lafayette, CA

Presentation- Poured into my Full Sail pint glass out of a 12 oz bottle with no freshness date.

Appearance- Amber-copper colored pour with a very nice chunky white head and awesome lacing. Only thing missing were those little UFO circles in the wavering head.

Smell- Great floral and fruity hop scent. Lots of grapefruit and pine. A bit of a sweet candyish note to it also.

Taste- Nicely balanced brew, but a tad bit to much malt and too little hops. The malt seemed to take over a bit. Very good carmel malt, but I like hops to be the prevelant taste in my IPA's. Still pretty tasty.

Mouthfeel- Typical medium carbonation. A bit of a fuller mouthfeel due to a bit of sweetness.

Drinkability- Glad I tried this one. I'm sure I will reach for this one in the future when I am craving a more malty IPA.

4.6/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours crystal-clear amber with two fingers of dense, dimpled, off-white head with good retention.

It has a massive, resinous pine and grapefruit bouquet. Later on the aroma becomes a bit cleaner and more subdued, but pleasant nonetheless.

Tastes aggressively hoppy, at first with prickley pine needles and an initial impression of dryness, but then the caramel malts come in for a second, before receeding back as a lingering grapefruit-rind bitterness lingers. Simple but not softspoken, and West Coast all the way. This is the way I like my IPAs.

With a medium-light body and an apparent dryness, the mouthfeel is surprisingly frothy and creamy. I dig it. I could drink this all day.

Overall, a stellar, highly drinkable example of a West Coast IPA.

4.35/5  rDev +9%

Exceptional IPA. I've had this out of the bottle twice now, and I will continue to seek it out as a go-to IPA.
I'm all about balance in my IPA's, and this one's got it. Don't get me wrong, there is a bracing classic hop bitterness reminiscent of grapefruit, pine, and orange. But alot of IPA's offer that. What's different here is a nice, crisp, slightly nutty amber malt backbone that brings it all together.
Deliciously refreshing and a great appetite stimulator, this is one of the better North American IPAs around.

3.89/5  rDev -2.5%

Aggressive grapefruit aroma. Very dry bitter aftertaste, not solved by any food or drink. Rather grapefruity hoppy drink inbetween. Well carbonated, but rather one-dimensional and so-so IPA from what I have tried, American or British. Recommended for the hophead in your life.

4.03/5  rDev +1%

Appearance: pours a crystal clear brick red with a slightly tan head.

Smell: piney but I'm delighted to note that there is a nice malt balance to this. The citrus/pine classic american "hopped up" beer smell is there but it's supported by a good carmel base.

Taste: Bitter and dry up front. The same pine on the delivery that was present on the wind-up. There is a definite malty sweetness that provides a good backbone to this beer. Highly hopped but balanced. A good tasting beer.

Mouthfeel: medium and crispy. The hops and good carbonation make this pop on the palate.

Drinkability: It's palate cleansing goodness! An enjoyable hop fix to be sure.

4.32/5  rDev +8.3%

For my 250th beer karma, I chose the Hop Ottin' IPA, and I was not disappointed. It pours a clear, clean amber with a one-finger whitish head. Immediately the floral aroma wafted to my nose, and I knew this would be a good find. The hops are evident, as is the piney untertone. The taste is delightful: wicked potent hops with a subtle sweetness that is hard to pinpoint. Nevertheless, it offsets the essential bitterness, but not in a cloying way. There's even some palpable breadiness in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium, with abover average carbonation. A very worthy choice for the IPA lover.

4.55/5  rDev +14%

Picked up a bottle at Papago Brewing for $1.75.

This dark orange brew poured a beautiful head that is leaving a nice trail down my glass. Detecting floral and piney hop notes. Taste is a perfect blend of malts into a big hop finish. Mouthfeel almost has a creamy quality to it and the hops bring my palate alive. This is one fine IPA, one of the better ones I have had of late! I will have to hunt down a six-pack of this!!

4.37/5  rDev +9.5%

awesome malt/fruity not hop creamy texture nose.. pouring.. frothy head unlike the ESB from the same brewery... sage/clove/citrus notes in the nose are deep... slightly darker than the ESB but just as clear, excellent lace, pours a brown amber... alcohol on the back end side, way milder than the dogfishhead head 90/120. on nose you might swear this is the ESB.. on head and flavor it is its own... maybe one of the best I have smelled but not as much flavour as some.. damn drinkable for this type.. smells like a pale or ESB, drinks like a hardy IPA... very solid beer.

4.62/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a glowing gold with a wonderful off-white head. Head stays with me the whole glass and leaves some fine lacing. Smells so hoppy and flowery. Amazing smell. Tastes wonderfully floral. So complex, so much hop flavor, my taste buds are lost (but extremely happy) in flavor. A hop-head's dream. Aftertaste is quite dry. This a wonderful beer. One of the best "hoppy hoppy hoppy hoppy hoppy" beer's I've had to date. Highly recommended.

3.98/5  rDev -0.3%

Jumped around, jumped around, jumped up, jumped up and got down with this one on 10/22/2004. 16-oz. pint pour at ACPH.

Creamy turbulence of initial head that just stays and stays, and doesn’t die. Green hop effluvience and visions of jumping bugs throttle through the mind as a I plastered my nose with its bouquet. Curtained, amber haze to hue. Hopped up fraggle rock of earthy herbal essence to start followed by woody birch bark to tastes. A medium to medium-light-heavy offering that is difficult to put down.

4.38/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Excellent head with even better lace. Orange amber in color, slightly cloudy. Beautiful.

Well-balanced aroma with a (grace) note of lactose. The flowery hop is present but not overwhelming. Malt is soft.

The flavor is round with full, rich mouthfeel of a highly malted beer. Plenty of hop becomes apparent within a second. This is an excellent IPA, true to style and very flavorful.

4.67/5  rDev +17%

Beautiful copper colour with a long standing off white head.
Big hop nose which makes this one of my favorite IPAs. This is well balanced, malt is a constant throughout the glass. The hops a fully flavorful, but enough bitterness involved to let you know this is from the west coast.
Will be drinkin' this all night long!

4.13/5  rDev +3.5%

Tawny-coppery in hue with a bit of bronze-gold influence as well, the appearance of the liquid is attractive but basically standard for an IPA though. The head was off-white in color; at the apex it was almost two fingers in height. The foam faded to a tight cap after a few moments and lacing began immediately, in other words the collapsed head left a residue. This feature is always bonus eye-candy. Once I started quaffing the lacing bloomed, wow, was it webby and prevalent. Beautiful! The nose is hoppy; it is an IPA after all! Aromas from the hops consist of pine needles, spruce, citrusy lemon zest, grapefruit flesh, and just a hint of wild flowers. I could find, beneath the hops, the malt, which was caramely sweet with some pleasant toastiness as well. The potency is solid and the nose is inviting. It says all the right things but it doesn’t say anything I’ve never heard before. Am I jaded? Maybe but I still dig the nose, it is very pleasant. Kudos to the brewers for allowing a hoppy beer to show its malt backbone, nice! The palate has plenty of good things going for it. Hop bitterness is fairly strong, appropriately raw. I always appreciate an IPA with a malt backbone; this one offers a solid toasty yet caramel taste with just a bit of sweetness. Obviously the hops are the star with pine needles, spruce, grapefruit finds, and a healthy dose of wild flowers, especially in the finish. From beginning to end the palate offers one continuous taste, thus complexity is limited but it is still delicious. I mean there are no complaints about the flavor. It is an IPA and a good one at that. Medium in body, if not a tickle fuller, low but natural carbonation helps create a lovely mouthfeel. I found this to be a very drinkable beer, it is big and tasty but it didn’t murder my palate or melt my brain with alcohol. I’d love to sit back and enjoy a six-pack; maybe someday I can do it again (as it is not found in Nebraska but about everywhere else it seems?). I purchased a six-pack in Milwaukee, WI and I’m enjoying every bottle (aside from the ones my girlfriend gobbled down). Worth trying.

3.84/5  rDev -3.8%

Golden amber color with an ever so slight haze. Initial head subsides fairly quickly, but a thin foam layer persists for the duration of the glass. Leaves a little lacing around the glass. Aroma is a hop bouquet. Taste is dry and bitter with a crisp floral finish. Lives up to the expection of being a hophead beer. Mouthfeel is soft and agreeably so, as tangy co2 bubbles would interfere with the hop appreciation. Very drinkable beer.

4.45/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance – This is a real looker. The dark orange body promises a good malt compliment to this heavy IPA. The head was full and fluffy and came down in shaving cream lumps of foam. This looks like a heavy hitter.

Smell – The big, piney resin leads things off here. The hop profile doesn’t smell very complex: this is all about the big, pure, unadulterated pine aroma. Even so, I can pick up some creamy malts in the background. Well done at the nose.

Taste – Yes, the caramel and toffee malt base picks things up at the taste. Mind you, the hop flavors here are monstrous so it’s not like you’re not getting any hops, but I was very impressed with the way they picked up the balance. I noticed the balance continued to improve as the beer warmed (it took me an hour to drink the bomber).

Mouthfeel – This is a big medium in the body and very heavy on the palate. There’s some sharp, satisfying dryness all throughout and, again, a big thumbs up for the balanced feel they managed to get out of this recipe.

Drinkability – Drinking this bomber was a wonderful experience. I had low expectations because the label is cheesy and the beer is available in just about every local grocery store, but this was a work of art.

4.68/5  rDev +17.3%

The discovery of Boonville, California as a quaintly vacant town was no disappointment. The realization that the visitor center for the brewery was closed and tours weren't happening for 6 hours was.

The only thing proper was to consume as much Hop Ottin' directly off the tap as reasonably possible. We stumbled into the original brewhouse for a pitcher of the nectar, at a shockling low $7 for a 50-ounce(ish) pitcher.

The apperance is as from decanted from bottle; a deeply glowing purplish ruby. The head was frothing up like some whipped-cream daydream as I immediately enveloped my face with the liquid, sniffing like a bloodhound.

To my surprise I found that fresh Hop Ottin' is a remarkably consistent product. Sure, the luciously grapefruit hop profile abounds in all of its glory. The freshly-tapped version is no revelation if you've had a fresh bottle.

But the gummy sweetness of a stale bottle is kicked down like a convict in its sublime and aggresively fresh status. Seek it out and be converted.

4.12/5  rDev +3.3%

Woah there. I was expecting a standard IPA, not a crazy hoppinated monster. But this one surprised me. Appears a pretty typical amber color, with a frothy head (probably due to the hoppiness) and lacing pretty far down the glass. Smells and tastes, well, very hoppy. Lots of tangyness. I'm picking up on a lot of pine needle and sap tastes, as well as that IPA grapefruity taste, which I generally am not a huge fan of, but this one is pretty well balanced for being as overly hoppy as it is. Nice mouthfeel and IPA's seem to always be a hit with me, so drinkability is way up there. Haven't had this one in the bottle that I can remember, but if you see it on tap, grab it up.

3.32/5  rDev -16.8%

Pours a light amber color with thin head that disapates quickly. There is a huge amount of lace all around the glass

Scent is great, it is sweet, fruity, malty, and nice citrus hops.

Taste, aaaa, well, not what I expected. Very sweet up front, kind of watery with an almost chemical taste. It does finish with hops and again che-m-i-cal (oooo, I hate to say that, but that is what I taste).

Mouthfeel is light bodied and crisp.

Drinkability is ok, but the taste is just not what I expected from an IPA. I won't buy this one again.

This beer will fool you with the lable and the scent but it is not what a good IPA is all about.

3.53/5  rDev -11.5%

Pours a light amber color with a nice fluffy off white head that lasts with lots of sticky lacing. Aroma is mostly grapefruity hops with floral hints on top of light malt. Taste is sweet malt hints of caramel then hops floral citrusy flavors with the patented tounge coating of pine resins. Next something strange happens it might be my imagination but drank this in two different sessions to make sure, feels like and tastes like someone slipped a shot of water in after the hops get this cleaning water like finish? Might just be me lossing my mind but swear thats what it feels and tastes like . Anyway hurts my impression of this IPA try it most people seem to like it. Think I will stick to Avery for good regular IPA.

4.42/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle. The bottle has a fun description on the back and uses ANderson Valley, CA slang, which is a nice touch.

The beer pours with a frothy white head that thins slowly. A nice golden color to it. Aroma is thick with hops as well as a malty nose and great floral scents. Smells a bit rosy.

The flavor is hops hops and more hops. Nice floral hops dominate but are not overpowering or offputting. The flavor is tangy and sweet. Smooth palate with a crisp bread ending.

3.87/5  rDev -3%

Pours a hazy medium brown with a huge head that lasted forever. great lace. Smells of citrus and floral hops, hops, hops. Taste is similar the the smell, citrus, floral and hops everywhere. Mouthfeel is good - not too heavy at all. To me its drinkability is OK, only because I am not a huge hop head. Nice bitter aftertaste. This is a very good IPA and well worth the price. Pick some up if you can.

4.32/5  rDev +8.3%

Pours amber, good sized head.

Aroma full of citrus hops, bitterness, and a light caramel like sweetness.

Medium bodied, lots of citrus hops up front, mixing with a strong bitterness midway through. A light flowery sweetness is present the whole way through. It finishes up with a pleasant bitterness and nut like flavor.

A very well crafted IPA. Wish I'd bought more than one.

4.23/5  rDev +6%

pours with a nice finger or two of head, superb lacing frosts inside of the glass. taste definitely reminded me of AV's boont amber ale. nice fruity/citrusy hops ("hard working" according to the bottle's translation of "Hop Ottin"). malts were tasty and a little sweeter than other AIPAs, but certainly nothing to object to

definitely one of the finer IPAs around. delicious and very nice to look at

4.05/5  rDev +1.5%

Hazy, cloudy, 50% opaque amber orange body, very nice, very nice. Feathery light tan orange foam powders up against the wall of the glass. Lots of "stickin" around.

Fruity fermenting tropical orange apple hop stench blows away. Very fruity hops here, especially holding up the background.

In the mouth, the rich fruity hops stop, fizzle out creamily, and then start up again in the aftertaste. Rich, rich taste, almost a little over the top, especially as the alcohol notes kick in. That said, although it's on the bubble perhaps of being out-of-control, there seems to be an excellent malt/hops balance. Fresh fruit hops don't go away, ever.

Felt like one of these would probably be enough for its intensity.

4.3/5  rDev +7.8%

Pours an ambery/copper color with a fluffy light beige head. Piney, grassy and malty aromas paired with some light citrus notes. Floral and perfumy. For how aggressively hopped this beer is, it's surprisingly malty, too. It touches on caramel malts and the grapefruity citrusness shines in it's dry finish. Full bodied and drinkable. One of the better American IPAs I've had.

Hop Ottin' IPA from Anderson Valley Brewing Company