Hop Ottin' IPA | Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Hop Ottin' IPAHop Ottin' IPA

Anderson Valley Brewing Company
avbc.com

Style: American IPA

Our Hop Ottin’ IPA is brewed and dry-hopped with copious amounts of Columbus and Cascade. This beer is a showcase of the bright citrusy aromas, bold grapefruit and pine-like flavors, and resiny bitterness that hop heads crave. With a brilliant, deep amber color and solid malt backbone, hints of citron, roses, and bergamot climax with a dry, herbal finish in this well-balanced interpretation of a West Coast IPA.

Added by stirgy on 04-23-2001

Ratings: 3,157 |  Reviews: 1,233

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

3.25/5  rDev -18.5%

4.75/5  rDev +19%

4.45/5  rDev +11.5%

This is my first attempt at a review, while I am an expert at drinking, I am not too sure of my abilities as a poet laureate...

I picked it up after grocery shopping and chose to imbibe immediately upon returning home.

A: The brew poured a little more copper and with a deeper hue than I expected. Rose my curiosity.
S: As many IPA's it smelled...well,...hoppy...but not without a caramel, malty nose.
T: Wow!! many IPA's appear "thin" to me as they overpower with flowery, citrusy hops usually with a sticky sweetness to them (Dogfishead).This one I was first hit with a creamy caramel and the hops kicked in to confuse my taste buds...but not enough to let the creamy caramel linger in my mouth as the hops kicked in. I guess grapefruit is the best descriptor but the grapefruit served with peaches, cream and honey. Literally unbelievable to experience.
M: feel was full and creamy for an IPA. This felt more like a porter than an IPA on feel.
O: One of, if not, the best beers I have ever had. Anderson Valley's Seasonal Christmas beer left me feeling the same way and since I was in a bar and not even considering a review I had no chance to note the name of the beer that I choose to be my drink of choice that evening. I believe I tapped the keg on that evening. Bottoms up Anderson Valley!

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

4.75/5  rDev +19%

3.91/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Clear amber with one finger of cream head. Rings of lacing.
Smell is not the high point of this beer nothing bad just not big. Some light floral scent with a pinch of pine and a little dough.
Taste is big earthy resinous hops with a bigger than average malt bill. The hops are about as bitter (due to the pine resin effect) as I can take and still taste some grapefruit. The malts keep up with the bitter somewhat and make the hop hammer easier to take. Really big IPA.
Mouthfeel is medium to full with enough carbonation. The malts keep it from a bone dry finish.
Overall a pretty memorable IPA. Very tasty indeed. Try the canned version. It holds the flavors much better than the bottled version.

4.21/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Picked this up on the way home from work...let's dive in!

Poured from a bomber into a standard snifter.

A: I usually don't give appearance too much of a bother, as some of the best beers are the ugliest...BUT, Hop Ottin' is a great looking beer. A brilliant crystal copper color. Tan head that dissipates slowly, leaving good lace on the glass.

S: Grapefruit, caramel, pine, some florals. A balanced nose that's not overly fruit centric.

T: Extremely balanced. The caramel malt entwines nicely with the piney resinous hops. Again, grapefruit citrus with a sweet backing makes this beer very feng shui.

M: Crisp, deep, nothing short of 'awesome.'

O: Sometimes it's hard to describe exactly why some IPAs are so well balanced over others. Hop Ottin' is one of these. It is a picture of piney, evergreen goodness, laid upon a base of warm caramel malt. I will certainly look for this in the future when I need a hop fix, but don't want my head to explode. Great beer!

Hop Ottin' IPA from Anderson Valley Brewing Company