Hop Ottin' IPA | Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Hop Ottin' IPAHop Ottin' IPA

Anderson Valley Brewing Company
avbc.com

Style: American IPA

Our Hop Ottin’ IPA is brewed and dry-hopped with copious amounts of Columbus and Cascade. This beer is a showcase of the bright citrusy aromas, bold grapefruit and pine-like flavors, and resiny bitterness that hop heads crave. With a brilliant, deep amber color and solid malt backbone, hints of citron, roses, and bergamot climax with a dry, herbal finish in this well-balanced interpretation of a West Coast IPA.

Added by stirgy on 04-23-2001

Ratings: 3,163 |  Reviews: 1,233

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

12oz can served in a standard pint glass.

L - hazed orange/amber color with a creamy beige head that left a coating of lacing.

S - sour citrus fruit with a earthy background.

T - I tasted some malt upfront but it soon went to grapefruit rind bitter to carry me through till the end.

F - medium bodied with a smooth and creamy feel.

O - if bitter is your thing then this beer is a must try.

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

I picked up this beer as a hedge in my pursuit of reviewing the top 100 beers of fame. It is just outside the top 100 beers and it has over 1,000 reviews. That makes sense because this is a very good beer.

The beer and flavor is spot-on. The smell has a decent amount of citrus smell to it. It is really inviting to take a sip.

The flavor is very well balanced. You get more of citrus hopping. It is not nearly as strong in the flavor as in the smell.

Overall this is a pretty good beer. I thought it was pretty drinkable.

3.48/5  rDev -12.8%

I was excited tasting my first Anderson Valley brew. on first pour, it came out a nice reddish brown. pretty thin and well formed white head.

smell's like oranges and citrus notes. on first sip, the hop hit me right in the face. maybe this is a little too strong for me, but the hop high cools down to a pretty gentle caramel tasting malt. I would say you need more patience to tease the different flavors and it does get better the more you drink the beer.

okay IPA in my book, don't think I'll be looking for another Hop Ottin, maybe a smoother toned down version is better for me.

3.93/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured from 12 ounce can into New Belgium snifter. No idea about a freshness date, but can is stamped 1 08 18 b 1 b d.

A- Pours a pretty orange with two fingers of quickly dissipating white foam. Thick lacing starting to appear where the head was.

S- I smell a lot of citrus and maybe some malty sweetness.

T- Strong hop bitterness dominates and rides all the way through the swallow. If there is any malt balance in this one I do not taste it. (disclaimer here - I am on antibiotics for a sinus infection) I think I can taste a little bit of pine and some grapefruit is definitely breaking through.

M- This one has a little too much carbonation for me, as I like a cask-conditioned feel in an IPA. It would be great refreshment on a hot day, but that isn't the point of IPAs. I would say this was closer to the body of your average Sam Adams product. Not bad, just nothing to brag about.

O- This is a nice-looking, easy-drinking and beautiful IPA. I could picture myself tossing twelve of them in a cooler and heading to the lake for the day. I could not see myself adding one to a formal IPA tasting session at my home. The taste is totally for hop-heads, yet the body makes it a refreshing beverage. I guess if that is what appeals to you, its worth the money. I will keep searching for the best canned IPA.

4.17/5  rDev +4.5%

12 oz bottle pours a cloudy deep amber with minimal head and lacing. Aroma is bready malt, citrus fruit, and apricot. Flavors of grapefruit, orange peel, lemon, peppery spice, and toffee, Mouthfeel is somewhat oily with dry finish that hangs on the tongue. Overall a very drinkable west coast style IPA.

4.75/5  rDev +19%

4.03/5  rDev +1%

BuxMontBeerLover

A - Pours a bit cloudy, nice golden color, foamy dense head on the pour...very thick head.

S - Cramel aroma with nice citrus notes, vanilla, and even a little bit of apricot or another stone fruit.

T - A quality IPA that is well balanced with a slight sweetness, again the caramel notes coming though from the malts. Has a hint of apricot that confirms what was on the nose. Very nice citrus taste that pairs perfectly with the hoppy

M- medium carbonation and medium ++ constancy.

O - This is a great, easy drinking IPA. A little malted then what I normally go for but I really enjoyed it.

4.67/5  rDev +17%

Wonderful beer!!!! I can say that this is by far the best beer out of a can I have tried, Hops out of a can what can be better!!!! This beer has an amazing aroma with a full bodied golden color. With one sip the hops rushes in your mouth, its very hoppy... Those who do not like hops, beware STAY AWAY!!!! Overall, I rated this beer highly because well it is amazing!!! Great beer for a warm afternoon..

4.42/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured from a cool purple can into a blue solo cup:

A-blue, but with great head and lacing (if that's even possible in blie)

S-malt, hops, roast. some citrus

T-Really solid, maltier than many IPA's, follows the nose

M-A touch on the thin side, but I have to remind myself that its not a double

O-Excellent, very glad I tried it

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

4.13/5  rDev +3.5%

A - Went with a standard Terrapin pint glass for now, pours a really nice light but slightly cloudy orangish copper. Great finger+ of tan fluffly head. Some (3-4) weird small clumps of what i presume to be priming sugars that are constantly emitting bubbles to the top of the beer. Lacing nothing short of perfect and the retention is also very very good.

S - Lots of sweet caramel malts, a little bit of a resinous hoppy presence but mostly malty in the nose. A little underwhelming from a hop perspective but it still smells very appealing

T - Lots of nice caramel/bready malts up front into a nice but not too intense piney hop bite. Mellows out nicely with a fairly sweet finish, not really dry at all despite that bitter kick.

M - Pretty much perfect for me, medium bodied, very refreshing and smooth, appropriate carbonation. Just ideal.

O - Very happy with this, sadly its going to compete with with other favorite go to IPAs in this price range but this will definitely be in the rotation. I believe I picked this sixer up for 11.99 @ the CBX. Kind of digging the maltyness of this ipa, relative to other favorites (two hearted, hopart, stone, smuttynose, founders, green flash, dales, ranger). A nice little change of pace for sure. Would recommend it to anyone who appreciates a little burst of bitter hoppy goodness

Hop Ottin' IPA from Anderson Valley Brewing Company