Hop Ottin' IPA | Anderson Valley Brewing Company

Hop Ottin' IPAHop Ottin' IPA

Anderson Valley Brewing Company
avbc.com

Style: American IPA

Our Hop Ottin’ IPA is brewed and dry-hopped with copious amounts of Columbus and Cascade. This beer is a showcase of the bright citrusy aromas, bold grapefruit and pine-like flavors, and resiny bitterness that hop heads crave. With a brilliant, deep amber color and solid malt backbone, hints of citron, roses, and bergamot climax with a dry, herbal finish in this well-balanced interpretation of a West Coast IPA.

Added by stirgy on 04-23-2001

4.5

Ratings: 3,177 |  Reviews: 1,236

4.2/5  rDev +5.3%

A: Brownish caramel color. Tan head that's off-white and fluffy. Clarity is great. 2 fingers of head. No action from carbonation. Awesome lacing.

S: Smells really bright and floral. First thing that's immediately apparently is the largely citrus hops. Nice maltiness. Some caramel but then I get breadiness.

T: So good! The second I put the beer on my tongue it explodes with flavor. Really nice citrus and the faintest hint of tart. Then the malt kicks in with caramel sweetness. This is followed largely by breadiness and a nice even bitterness.

M: Medium to high carbonation. Slick and a medium body.

O: Really drinkable. So bright and floral with a crisp flavor. One of my favorite single IPAs.

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%

I picked up a can of Anderson Valley's Hop Ottin' IPA a couple days ago for $1.39 at The Lager Mill. I have had pretty good luck with this brewery so far so I decided to give their IPA a try, lets see how it goes. No visible freshness date. Poured from a can into a imperial pint glass.

A- This can looks pretty similar to their oatmeal stout can, but it has a purple background with a blue ring on top, the colors look nice together. It poured a orangish amber color that was somewhat hazy and it had three fingers of fluffy white head that died down to a thick layer that stayed till the end and left lots of nice lacing. This beer had a great color and head, I liked it, it looked really good.

S- The first thing I pick up is some malts that have a high amount of sweetness and impart a noticeable bready, and sweet grain aroma that was quickly overpowered by lots of hops, it's the citrus hops that stick out the most imparting a pretty nice grapefruit aroma followed by some floral and piney hops, the mixture of hop aromas is nice. This is a goof smelling beer that has a complex hop aroma.

T- The taste seems much more balanced then aroma was. It starts off with a good amount of pale malts that have a lower amount of sweetness and impart some bready, bicuity, and grainy flavors that give the base of this beer a little more character. Next comes the hops which weren't as strong as they were in the aroma and impart a grapefruit and pine flavor, along with a slight bit of floral hops. The finish has a high amount of medium bitterness and leaves a bitter piney, citrus, and floral hop aftertaste. This was a good tasting beer but I was the hops tasted as goof as they smelled.

M- Smooth, slightly dry, medium bodied, with a good medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was great, I wouldn't change it.

Overall I liked this beer and I thought it was a solid American IPA. It wasn't as hoppy as some but it still had the right amount of bitterness and it was surprisingly balanced. This beer has Ok drinkability, I could have another one but after that I think I would be ready to move on. What I liked most about this beer the appearance and the mouthfeel, they were both pretty spot on. What I liked least about this beer was that the great citrus aromas didn't make their way to the taste. I wouldn't turn this beer down but I don't see my self buying it often, I can think of more then a few local IPA's I would much rather have, but the price was good and for some reason it was was cheaper then the Oatmeal stout that is 2% percent lower. This is worth a try for any IPA fan but I think the hop heads will be disappointed in the hop profile in the taste. This beer was pretty solid just like the other two I have from this brewery, I am starting to like this brewery, it seems like almost all the IPA's I try from Cali are nothing less then solid. You can be sure that when more of their brews make it my area that I will be checking them out, and I like the fact that the brewery is solar powered. Another solid brew from what I am now referring to as a solid brewery, good job guys.

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

4.03/5  rDev +1%

Pours a hazy copper into a pint glass. 2inch foamy head stays for a bit. Wonderful pine scent, maybe cascade hops, very inviting.
Sweet malts in the tongue. Hop bitterness in check. Zesty and spicy. Highly drinkable. My first IPA from a can! Highly recommended!

3.59/5  rDev -10%

Review from notes.
Pours a light yellow into dimpled mug so as to let this bastard breathe the hop aroma is strong with this one smelling more of grapefruit than pine, good finger's worth of head that dissipates with moderate carbonation.
Taste/Mouthfeel, good strong hop presence and flavor right up front that's balanced only slightly with a bit of malt before finishing with a crisp grapefruit like bite at the end.
Overall, a good IPA, but too hoppy to buy a sixer of and was the last of the Anderson mixer I had left to try. In fact this is my 2nd attempt as the 1st one ended up being shared with the drain as I was NOT ready for the hops the first go round. Glad I gave it another shot, I have a very fine line with this style as far as what I find balanced and palatable and what is a choke down/drain pour. As a rule I let IPA's breathe in a dimpled mug as opposed to the pint or shaker glass and I have this IPA to thank for that, much better the 2nd time.

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

A-dark amber color with an off-white head and decent lacing

S-citrus and malt with light floral notes

T-nice yeasty bread with piney and caramel flavors and a modded hop finish

F-medium body with moderate carbonation

O-a nice IPA with a slightly sweeter caramel flavor than most

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%

I have had Hop Ottin IPA from a bottle before reviewing it in the can and unfortunately....the can is not doing this beer justice. The beer poured a clear orangish copper with generous off white head that is lacing like Victoria Secrets catalog. The smell and taste are very malty....you can tell there are hops trying to give the pine/bitter citrus....but it is being over run with malt. The mouthfeel is a medium body beer with good carbonation. Overall it is a good beer.

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

Deep amber color and a large creamy head. The aroma is powerful: take your pick - spicy or floral or grapefruit. Some malty undertones. There is an initial sweetness, then the hops kick in followed by a bitter finish to wake you up. Well balanced though.

Hop Ottin' IPA from Anderson Valley Brewing Company